Author Topic: NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition  (Read 72767 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition
« Reply #300 on: 17 October 2017, 11:12:10 »
May I note, by the way, since a couple of people have asked me about it...

The blame for Sunday night is landing squarely on Trevor Siemian's shoulders from the media (the Denver Post in particular), and there's certainly some share of it to land on him. That said, the defense was surprisingly bad, the running game was nonexistent, and the receivers were all in the locker room by the end.

Want to see where I'd point the 'you suck' spotlight? How about on a kicker who is currently 5/9 for field goals on his own home field in DENVER? Matt Prater made the place his playground, as did Jason Elam before him- and this guy can't even get past .500 at home this far in? He's 8/13 overall- most teams would have politely thanked him for his services by now. Take Sunday- yeah, one was blocked, but make him 3/3 (or even 2/3!) and that game looks a little different, a little more life breathed into the flagging Denver offense.

That game sucked from the coaches on down, but at this point McManus is a trend that just can't continue. Denver is just starting a three-game road trip (Chargers, Chiefs, Eagles) before being back home against New England- they can't afford to have their kicker soil the sheets like this when they're fighting to stay in the wild-card picture like this.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #301 on: 17 October 2017, 12:01:09 »
I'm not sure how their defense shut down Ezekiel Elliot and the Dallas O-line but let the Giants run everywhere on them. Nothing makes sense any more.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #302 on: 17 October 2017, 12:04:49 »
It's time to go 14-0

KC @ OAK
BAL @ MIN
NO @ GB
NYJ @ MIA
CAR @ CHI
ARZ @ LAR
TB @ BUF
JAX @ IND
TEN @ CLE
DAL @ SF
CIN @ PIT
SEA @ NYG
DEN @ LAC
ATL @ NE (Slight revenge for the SB)
WAS @ PHI
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #303 on: 17 October 2017, 12:32:18 »
Time to embarrass myself again, but at least the last few weeks I've had plenty of company!

KC @ OAK
BAL @ MIN
NO @ GB
NYJ @ MIA
CAR @ CHI
ARZ @ LAR
TB @ BUF
JAX @ IND
TEN @ CLE
DAL @ SF
CIN @ PIT
SEA @ NYG
DEN @ LAC
ATL @ NE
WAS @ PHI
I have spoken.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #304 on: 17 October 2017, 17:06:54 »
PHI@CAR[picking games after they're over is the best idea ever]
MIA@ATL [NOTHING MAKES SENSE]
GB@MIN [Picker not responsible for catastrophic injury to only good player on team]
DET@NO
NE@NYJ [featuring catastrophic injury to replay official's brain]
SF@WAS
CHI@BAL [the stench lingers]
CLE@HOU [CLE. I'm sorry I doubted you and picked the NYJ to win the first pick of the draft]
TB@ARI
LAR@JAX
PIT@KC [a sneak preview for when the Chiefs go 12-4 and lose at home in the playoffs after a first round bye]
LAC@OAK
NYG@DEN
IND@TEN

feeling lucky to finish 7-6 after a turd of a week

KC @ OAK
BAL @ MIN
NO @ GB
NYJ @ MIA
CAR @ CHI
ARZ @ LAR
TB @ BUF
JAX @ IND
TEN @ CLE
DAL @ SF
CIN @ PIT
SEA @ NYG
DEN @ LAC
ATL @ NE
WAS @ PHI

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #305 on: 17 October 2017, 17:53:34 »
May I note, by the way, since a couple of people have asked me about it...

The blame for Sunday night is landing squarely on Trevor Siemian's shoulders from the media (the Denver Post in particular), and there's certainly some share of it to land on him. That said, the defense was surprisingly bad, the running game was nonexistent, and the receivers were all in the locker room by the end.

Want to see where I'd point the 'you suck' spotlight? How about on a kicker who is currently 5/9 for field goals on his own home field in DENVER? Matt Prater made the place his playground, as did Jason Elam before him- and this guy can't even get past .500 at home this far in? He's 8/13 overall- most teams would have politely thanked him for his services by now. Take Sunday- yeah, one was blocked, but make him 3/3 (or even 2/3!) and that game looks a little different, a little more life breathed into the flagging Denver offense.

That game sucked from the coaches on down, but at this point McManus is a trend that just can't continue. Denver is just starting a three-game road trip (Chargers, Chiefs, Eagles) before being back home against New England- they can't afford to have their kicker soil the sheets like this when they're fighting to stay in the wild-card picture like this.

If there's one thing about Sunday that I can appreciate it's that the Chiefs' kicker continues to impress.  He's 9/10 and the only miss was his first pro attempt ever.  He's nailing them, and kicking the ball through the uprights on damn kickoffs, so I'm just waiting for when Andy Reid starts giving him the greenlight to start kicking from the 40.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #306 on: 19 October 2017, 20:18:42 »
Refs doing their level best to beat the Chiefs tonight.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #307 on: 19 October 2017, 22:53:50 »
Chiefs-Raiders, the post-4th-quarter plays.

Seriously

this is my face right now

...god for a moment I thought he whiffed the extra point and we were going to overtime after all.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #308 on: 19 October 2017, 22:59:51 »
That would have been the best outcome for everyone, I think.

As is, I'm a liiiiiittle bit annoyed that OPI doesn't come with a runoff, apparently.  And if it does and the refs didn't enforce it I'll be pissed.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #309 on: 20 October 2017, 00:20:40 »
I thought they called a runoff for that one, resetting it to 0:18 and then ticking it to 0:08.  Then everything went berserk.  I won't lie, I was hoping they miss the extra point so that the fifth play after the clock reached 0:00 would have sent them to overtime after all.

Also, I gotta say there's a lot of Raiders and some Chiefs who got REAL lucky when Marshawn Lynch got kicked.  I thought they were gonna UnRough the whole lot of them, but I understand the Raiders QB is still healing from fractured vertebrae in his lower back and the Raiders were just a wee bit tetchy about that late and needlessly violent hit.  Doesn't defend Lynch coming off the sidelines and getting in the scrum with a line judge, but does at least make his thoughts understandable.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #310 on: 20 October 2017, 00:33:55 »
No, that runoff was for the review of the TD-that-wasn't.  The next play OPI was called with 0:03 left, and there was no runoff.  The next two plays were defensive penalties, and untimed.

Marshawn Lynch leapt off the Oakland bench and rushed to the defense of Peters.

No, seriously.  Go watch it again.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #311 on: 20 October 2017, 03:12:37 »
I saw him come off the bench, related to the hit and the tussle that started afterward, but then he was pushing a Stripe around and that was that. 

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #312 on: 20 October 2017, 05:42:04 »
I'm not sure his reasoning for coming off the bench matters, in the end (and it's safe to say that if anyone out there will refuse to explain, it's Lynch). There's no excuse for that action. Shoving a ref around, obviously, but coming off the sideline to join in the fight in the first place is just bonkers. In hockey, that's an immediate suspension (I think eight-game minimum at the NHL level, if I recall?).

I can't fathom what was going through his head. I suspect he'll have a couple of weeks off to ponder it himself though.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #313 on: 20 October 2017, 18:43:01 »
I'm not sure his reasoning for coming off the bench matters

I bring it up less because it matters, and more because a Raider sprinted from the sidelines into a scuffle on the Chiefs' side and that's completely bonkers.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #314 on: 20 October 2017, 20:09:49 »
I'd add "eleventh-year veteran" to that.  Lynch has been in the league since 2007.  A rookie getting his wind up, eh, they're kids, they'll eventually mature.  I expected more from someone with THAT much experience.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #315 on: 22 October 2017, 19:52:49 »
We now go live to the Broncos offensive line meeting.

+Crow T. Robot+

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #316 on: 22 October 2017, 20:02:37 »
I just watched Matt Ryan run for a first on 4th and 7 in the first quarter.  What in God's name is going on?
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #317 on: 22 October 2017, 20:37:16 »
I just watched Matt Ryan run for a first on 4th and 7 in the first quarter.  What in God's name is going on?

From midfield.

On a drive that ended in a blocked FG.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #318 on: 23 October 2017, 00:25:42 »

Love it. At this point IF the Broncos finish the season at 8-8 I will consider this a success.
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #319 on: 23 October 2017, 05:26:02 »
From midfield.

On a drive that ended in a blocked FG.

That whole game was a laugh and a half at the expense of Atlanta.  The fog rolling in and blocking the view from half the cameras was just the icing on the cake.  It seemed to me that everybody was expecting the Falcons to come out shooting and avenge the Super Bowl, but in the end they just couldn't do anything right.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #320 on: 23 October 2017, 07:21:09 »
It must be a sign of my journey to complete insanity nearing completion, but I got 11 wins already this week. Pretty confident I can get the 12th tonight.
I have spoken.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #321 on: 23 October 2017, 09:33:37 »

Hey, it's not all that bad. It's not like the Broncos got outscored by Dallas's starting safety kicking extra points.

Oh, wait....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #322 on: 23 October 2017, 13:18:17 »
I'm not sure his reasoning for coming off the bench matters, in the end (and it's safe to say that if anyone out there will refuse to explain, it's Lynch). There's no excuse for that action. Shoving a ref around, obviously, but coming off the sideline to join in the fight in the first place is just bonkers. In hockey, that's an immediate suspension (I think eight-game minimum at the NHL level, if I recall?).

I can't fathom what was going through his head. I suspect he'll have a couple of weeks off to ponder it himself though.
Leaving the bench to enter a fight is an automatic red card (ejected from this game and (generally) suspended from the next) in soccer, as well.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #323 on: 25 October 2017, 14:01:42 »
Week 8 picks

MIA@BAL
MIN@CLE
OAK@BUF
IND@CIN
LAC@NE
CHI@NO
ATL@NYJ
SF@PHI
CAR@TB
HOU@SEA
DAL@WAS
PIT@DET
DEN@KC
« Last Edit: 26 October 2017, 00:15:10 by Sharpnel »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #324 on: 25 October 2017, 14:24:33 »
TOTALLY spaced this. It hasn't been a good week.

KC @ OAK
BAL @ MIN
NO @ GB
NYJ @ MIA
CAR @ CHI
ARZ @ LAR
TB @ BUF
JAX @ IND
TEN @ CLE
DAL @ SF
CIN @ PIT
SEA @ NYG
DEN @ LAC *screeching in rage*
ATL @ NE
WAS @ PHI

Not bad, not bad. Holy crap though, that Denver game though. That was disgusting.

OK, this week.

MIA@BAL
MIN@CLE
OAK@BUF
IND@CIN
LAC@NE
CHI@NO
ATL@NYJ
SF@PHI
CAR@TB
HOU@SEA
DAL@WAS
PIT@DET
DEN@KC

There are some DOG games on the schedule this week... ugh. Some big ones too though- KC can all but wrap up the AFC West by beating Denver, and the Dallas/Washington tilt gives someone a big edge in the race for second in the NFC East (Philly has that wrapped up by now, particularly with a gimme of their own this week). Another easy game for the Vikes to set themselves up to win the NFC North now that Green Bay is in trouble... trying to figure out either South division is impossible at this point though, all four are at least still possible in the NFC (well, maybe not Tampa) and in the AFC I don't really have any idea who could win it outside of Indy.

Wild season. I just hate seeing this many teams' fates decided by catastrophic injury the way we're seeing. It happens in a contact sport, of course, but that doesn't make it any easier to see top players around the league sidelined long-term. Seems like this year is worse than usual- maybe it's just me.

+Crow T. Robot+

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #325 on: 25 October 2017, 19:38:51 »
KC @ OAK
BAL @ MIN

NO @ GB
NYJ @ MIA
CAR @ CHI
ARZ @ LAR
TB @ BUF
JAX @ IND

TEN @ CLE
DAL @ SF
CIN @ PIT

SEA @ NYG
DEN @ LAC

ATL @ NE
WAS @ PHI

I've done worse.

Now for next week's.

MIA@BAL
MIN@CLE
OAK@BUF
IND@CIN
LAC@NE
CHI@NO
ATL@NYJ
SF@PHI
CAR@TB
HOU@SEA
DAL@WAS
PIT@DET
DEN@KC

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #326 on: 25 October 2017, 21:53:50 »
Time to embarrass myself again, but at least the last few weeks I've had plenty of company!

KC @ OAK
BAL @ MIN
NO @ GB
NYJ @ MIA

CAR @ CHI
ARZ @ LAR
TB @ BUF
JAX @ IND
TEN @ CLE
DAL @ SF
CIN @ PIT
SEA @ NYG

DEN @ LAC
ATL @ NE
WAS @ PHI

What the Hell? That was my best week of the season!   :o

Time to prove it was a fluke!

MIA@BAL
MIN@CLE
OAK@BUF
IND@CIN
LAC@NE
CHI@NO
ATL@NYJ
SF@PHI
CAR@TB
HOU@SEA
DAL@WAS
PIT@DET
DEN@KC
I have spoken.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #327 on: 26 October 2017, 13:08:53 »
KC @ OAK
BAL @ MIN
NO @ GB
NYJ @ MIA
CAR @ CHI
ARZ @ LAR
TB @ BUF
JAX @ IND
TEN @ CLE
DAL @ SF
CIN @ PIT
SEA @ NYG
DEN @ LAC
ATL @ NE
WAS @ PHI

Good bouceback week

MIA@BAL
MIN@CLE
OAK@BUF
IND@CIN
LAC@NE
CHI@NO
ATL@NYJ
SF@PHI
CAR@TB
HOU@SEA
DAL@WAS
PIT@DET
DEN@KC

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #328 on: 27 October 2017, 09:01:26 »
Watching the replay of the hit on Joe Flacco last night is literally nauseating to me. Not just that it's the kind of hit the NFL has sworn they're trying to get out of the game (but hey, no ejection for it because FOOTBAW, I guess?). Just... the look on his face afterwards as he was leaving the field. I know that look all too well.

Those who know me outside of the forums are probably aware. For those not, I've suffered a series of concussions in my younger years through hockey, the after-effects of which still are a challenge for me on a daily basis to some extent. Whether it's something minor feeling lightheaded almost every time I stand up from my desk up to full-on vertigo spells that leave me unable to function for a couple of hours at a time (luckily those are rarer these days), the effects of injuries like this don't go away. Every time you take one, it's worse than the last one. It's awful- I don't even know how to properly explain the feeling. 'Foggy' doesn't really cover it, but almost like a delay, in a way- like your brain still is processing information, but there's a gap between what you think and actually reacting to that information. It's bizarre, and it's scary as all hell. I know that my bad knee is going to hurt for the rest of my life, and that's annoying- even painful. I know my bad shoulder once in a while will catch or cause some pain, and that's just as unfortunate. Knowing that my BRAIN isn't ever going to truly work the way it once did though, man, I don't even know how to put that in words, just how awful that is. (Ironically enough)

I had to turn the game off after that hit, I just couldn't watch Flacco looking around like that. As many bad injuries as we're seeing to star players this year, that one was my breaking point for at least last night- too many bad memories from that hit.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #329 on: 27 October 2017, 09:10:49 »
I'm hoping that the NFL brings the hammer down on Alonso with a multi-game suspension plus a six figure fine.

Register