Author Topic: Revenge of the Nerds  (Read 45295 times)

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
  • Rumours of annihilation are grossly exaggerated
Revenge of the Nerds
« on: 12 July 2020, 13:23:56 »
Disclaimer - I don't own Battletech and I don't claim to. Just borrowing the universe and some characters from it.

----------

Revenge of the Nerds (or how the Niops Association made the Inner Sphere a better place with some SLDF remnants and SCIENCE!).

----------

I study nuclear science
I love my classes
Got a crazy Associator, he wears dark glasses
Things are going great, and they're only getting better
I'm doing all right, got a brigade
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades
I gotta wear shades

I've some worlds waiting for my annexation
Selling fifty mechs a year it buys a lot of gear
I gotta wear shades

Well I'm germanium rich and lostech wise
I'm a SLDF soldier in nerd disguise
I gotta wear shades

I study nuclear science
I love my classes
Got a crazy Associator, he wears dark glasses
I gotta wear shades

----------

Council Chambers - Niops Association - 2855

High Associator Simon Nellis had a grave look on his face as he entered the room and sat down to join the others. It was an expression far removed from the look of heartfelt glee he typically adopted as he discussed the various scientific and technological advances that Niops had made here in the Periphery, while the Inner Sphere itself slipped further towards pre-industrial savagery, and if they had been a superstitious lot it might have been taken as a bad omen.

"As we feared, new information received from our contacts within SAFE, and the Free Worlds League military itself, appears to confirm our suspicions regarding the deaths of so many notable scientists and engineers over the last two decades" Nellis finally spoke up after a few moments to collect his thoughts. "Our own intelligence agency already considered it highly probable to say the least, or as one of them remarked to me; 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action and three hundred times is rubbing your nose in it' and I can only concur at this point."

"But what would they have to gain?" the Councilman representing the expanding industrial colony on Niops V queried. "It just seems like doing evil for its own sake, like some kind of mustache-twirling villain in a children's holovid show."

"More like malevolent calculation" Nellis responded evenly. "Weaken the Successor States to such a degree that they have no choice but to get down on their hands and knees in submission" he continued glumly. "With the Inner Sphere wracked by seemingly never-ending warfare removing the pieces from the board that might be able to prevent, or at least forestall, societal, economic and military entropic collapse is a tactically sound move."

The Councilman from Niops V still seemed unconvinced. "Surely the governments of the Successor States would retaliate if this was going on?"

Nellis laughed bitterly. "When they do notice something untoward they merely assume it is one of their rivals playing the usual games" he stated before sighing deeply. "Even after the Free Worlds League caught them red-handed in a nefarious scheme a few years ago they still don't realise how deep the rabbit hole really goes."

"The Mariks undoubtedly find it more comforting to assume that the Capellans or Lyrans are to blame for everything that goes wrong, just like the Federated Suns see the hand of 'Dread Luthian' behind everything" another council member wryly observed. "Too much history causing too much internal bias."

"Indeed" Nellis concurred. "Our more dispassionate weighing up of the available information is naturally less distorted by emotional bias" he said. "We're scientists, we're simply more inclined to be detached in our analysis."

"Speaking as a non-scientist, and at the risk of being accused of letting my own cultural biases get in the way" the only Council member wearing a military uniform rather than civilian dress spoke up, "but if the Inner Sphere continues its technological spiral down the drain then when Kerensky's people return they'll stomp the Successor States underfoot."

"That is of course an important consideration" Nellis agreed. "Although for my part I find the very notion of someone deliberately hoarding knowledge and seeking to suppress it morally abhorrent" he declared to several nods of heartfelt agreement. "It is fortunate that the Free Worlds urgent need for our standard PPC production provided us with such an inroad into their political structure and intelligence apparatus."

"We had to sweeten the deal with a few Star League era ERPPC's sold at discount, grease a few palms with our other profits, but at least they were surplus to our own military needs as outdated tech" the military officer noted. "If the war doesn't end soon we'll be able to demand a First Lord's ransom for SLDF equipment."

"That might be a win-win scenario in that we can use the money to fund further research and industrial development while bolstering the Inner Sphere militaries but that is only a short-term viewpoint" Nellis suggested. "Looking further ahead I see it as our primary mission to prevent humanity entering a new technological dark age and on that note I choose now as the moment to announce my new policy as High Associator" he said standing up for effect. "In the name of the Star League and the principle of scientific progress I can but only declare Comstar delenda est, Comstar must be destroyed!" he thundered triggering a round of cheering and applause.

"And then we can see about getting the Inner Sphere ready for the Clans" Sarah McEvedy, representative of the SLDF to the Council added under her breath.

----------

Author's Notes

Any questions you might have will be hopefully explained as the story continues. For the record though this is not connected to my other story Hunted Tribes and is not a crossover, it's a AU.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2020, 14:43:40 by Hotpoint »
"A dread fear rests deep in the heart of Clan Coyote that one day a lawyer will arrive on Tamaron talking about intellectual property rights, the Mercury II and the Coyotl omnimech and this will herald the end of the Clan as the Not-Named sue their asses into bankruptcy for patent infringement" - The True History of the Clans (Dark Caste Press: 3050)

Hunted Tribes - Hotpoint's Battlestar/Battletech Crossover Series

Kyryst

• Sergeant
Re: Revenge of the Nerds
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2020, 13:50:53 »
Nice. Looking forward to this. One of the things that surprised me about Niops, is that they didn't expand to other star systems for either secret shipyards, living space, or resources. It will be interesting to see where you go with this. The fact that people remember the Star League within living memory, and can see everything going downhill, is a powerful incentive  to stick together and oppose such a thing.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2020, 14:09:42 »
Interesting, The Wolverines, Their decoy convoy went left toward the Outworlds. While the main convoy went right, skirting the Rimworlds and down to NIOP's.

Like said above, they have time to expand the existing factories and shipyards, further the technology, send efforts into the Inner Sphere to hunt Toasters and spread the "Good Word of Technology and Gaming and Beer instead of Milk for the Breakfast Cereal"
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2020, 15:02:15 »
seems that Clan Wolverine is everywhere lately. Nice start. Looking forward to reading more

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2020, 15:38:42 »
Interesting indeed!  I'd like to see Niops figure out how to carry out their threat, even with "help"...  ^-^

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2020, 15:49:46 »
registered.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2020, 16:43:12 »
oooh
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2020, 17:44:35 »
I regret that I can but follow only once. I want to give this all the follows.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2020, 17:52:37 »
*eats popcorn* YO! One Ping, Only ('K?).
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2020, 18:07:13 »
That Sarah McEvedy is one tough lady. Been listed as killed at least twice.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2020, 18:10:02 »
so good, need more
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Ttw1

• Corporal
  • Fedcom fanboy.
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2020, 21:27:44 »
TAGed.
I'm sad to say that An Entry With a Bang was what introduced me to battletech. In retrospect it was a ****** of a roundrobin, but I still look upon it fondly.

The Mother Doctrine was good. Change My Mind.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2020, 03:09:57 »
As a side note, what do you mean with "taged"?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2020, 05:57:42 »
When you post in a thread, it will then show up under "Show new replies to your posts."  It's the easiest way to "subscribe" to a thread.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2020, 06:07:31 »
When you post in a thread, it will then show up under "Show new replies to your posts."  It's the easiest way to "subscribe" to a thread.

And is so convenient.  Log in, click on "Show new replies to your posts", then wheel-click each of the topics listed to open them in new tabs so you can read what is there.

After you have read them all (refreshing the page as necessary to make sure you missed nothing), you then click on "show unread posts since your last visit".  This may have multiple pages on it.  Click on the last page, and wheel-click to open tabs on topics you are interested in.  Refresh the page, and if nothing new shows up, click on the previous page (i.e. if there are 5 pages of new stuff, you click on page 4).  Repeat this wheel-clicking, refreshing, and going to previous pages until you are back at page 1 of "unread posts since last visit".  Refresh that page to make sure you missed nothing, and you are all caught up.

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2020, 08:59:59 »
Disclaimer - I don't own Battletech and I don't claim to. Just borrowing the universe and some characters from it.

----------

SLDF Headquarters - Niops VII - 2855

"Major McEvedy reporting as ordered Sir" the young woman in SLDF uniform announced from the open doorway causing Lieutenant-General Franklin Hallis to look up from the report strewn across the large wooden desk that dominated his office.

"Come in Major, close the door behind you" Hallis responded, the young officer doing so. "Take a seat Sarah, no need for military formality behind closed doors" he continued with a smile.

"You know one day I'm going to slip and call you Dad instead of Sir in front of the troops and it'll be really embarrassing and awkward for the both of us" she responded taking a seat opposite him.

"Could be worse, I'm always worrying I'll accidentally call you Khan" Hallis replied with a chuckle. "You know, you look more like your mother every day" he observed.

Sarah McEvedy (Junior) rolled her eyes. "That's entirely on you Dad, you should have told the geek-squad to dilute the McEvedy DNA a little more before they started to brew me up in the Iron Womb" she pointed out. "You could at least have made me blonde or something so that I didn't have to deal with every old-fart Wolverine like yourself going misty eyed when I enter the room."

"If I'd known in advance what a pain-in-the-ass you were going to be as a teenager I would have definitely left out a few genes" Hallis retorted.

"How the hell were you surprised I had an issue with the notion of mindless deference to unquestioned authority?" McEvedy replied, grinning. "It's the entire reason why you're not still back on Strana Mechty kissing Nicky K's ass" she pointed out wryly.

"Honestly I was just happy when you were old enough to put on a uniform and I could threaten to have you shot without getting a visit from Child Protection Services" Hallis told his adopted daughter. "How did the Council Meeting go?"

McEvedy ran her fingers through her close-cropped hair, maybe I should grow it out so I didn't look so damn much like all the pictures hung all around this building she thought to herself. "As expected the Nerd Patrol are absolutely livid about the damn Telephone Company offing so many of their brethren and they'll happily support getting in some righteous vengeance."

"Good. The more they look outwards the easier it'll be to get them to support expansion" Hallis replied, pleased. "We've already got a foothold on Alphard, our scouts finding all that germanium was an absolute gift, and there's plenty more inhabitable planets out that way" he noted. "Only a handful of colonists still living out there after the First Succession War and with jumpships getting scarcer and their standard of living dropping like a stone they'll welcome us with open arms."

"The Empire of Niops beckons" McEvedy joked. "You should stage a coup, become Emperor and make me heir to the throne" she suggested humorously.

Hallis laughed. "Getting a bit old to dream about being a princess aren't you?"

"Got to top my mother somehow don't I?" McEvedy asked rhetorically. "She was only a khan, didn't even get to wear a tiara."

"She was always more of a neurohelmet kind of girl in my experience" Hallis recalled. "Incidentally have you been receiving any flak about getting the job of SLDF Rep to the Council?" he inquired. "I know of at least a couple of Colonels that were jonesing for the job."

McEvedy shook her head. "Less complaints about nepotism than I might have expected. You know that nobody likes to speak ill of the great Sarah M publicly and that rubs off on me too" she replied. "For that matter speaking ill of her privately can often earn you a punch in the face."

"I've slugged people for less myself" Hallis admitted before the sound of some kind of commotion outside interrupted their conversation.

The door to Hallis's office swung open heralded by a loud protestation of "Mrs Hallis you can't just go in there" from the Major-General's Adjutant outside.

"What you gonna do? Shoot me?" the woman who strode into the office asked the officer who had tried and failed to impede her progress. The sarcasm in her tone easily identifiable despite her strong Capellan accent. She closed the door on him and turned towards Hallis. "You leave your lunch at home, I bring it over before going to visit mother" she told her husband, holding up a plastic container which she placed on a convenient shelf.

Hallis looked pained. "You can't just barge in like that Barbara, I might have been in a top-secret meeting."

"Who I tell? Stefan Amaris?" Barbara Hallis replied in an even more sarcastic fashion. "If I know you were here would have brought you a sandwich too" she told Sarah before leaning over to kiss her on the forehead.

"You know he is right Mom" Sarah McEvedy spoke up, trying but mostly failing to keep a straight face at her adopted father's expression.

"Pah, first time for everything" Barbara Hallis retorted. "Or maybe second time" she corrected herself, "marrying me was first. Much better for him than me"

"So... have you two been arguing again?" McEvedy queried, still attempting to look less amused than she was.

"He complain about my English grammar again, moan that it never improve, give science people wrong idea that Capellans only fit for low-skill work" Barbara told her. "I tell him that when his Mandarin or Russian even ten percent as good as my English he have right to criticise."

"It's a fair point Dad" Sarah couldn't help but agree.

"I know but this society was already well on its way to adopting a quasi caste system when we got here and we don't need any more of that shit after leaving the clans" Hallis stated firmly. "That's one of the many reasons I married your Mom here, we needed to show the scientists that fully integrating all three societies is the best way forward."

Barbara Hallis smirked. "My mother tell me at time you only marry me because you need someone to help raise adopted clone of dead friend."

"She's not a clone, and she's sat right here woman!" Hallis protested.

"To be fair, I'm definitely a bit clone-y, clone-adjacent at least" Sarah interjected. "You know grandma Jing still calls me 'Science-devil' sometimes" she told him.

"She what?" Hallis exclaimed.

"It pet-name, term of endearment" Barbara defended her mother. "Sarah is her favourite adopted grandaughter."

Sarah switched to Mandarin "Also the least favourite by default as I'm her only adopted granddaughter."

"Just be grateful that she doesn't constantly nag you for great-grandchildren like she does your sister Judith" Barbara replied in the same language.

"Oh I am, believe me" Sarah told her honestly, continuing in Mandarin before reverting back to English again. "Feeling left out there Dad?"

"I heard you mention Judith, at least she's always polite enough to translate" Hallis noted.

Sarah grinned. "I love your assumption that just because little Sis is a daddy's girl that she doesn't leave any stuff out when she translates" she responded, winking at her adoptive mother. "You know Dad, Auntie Trish once told me that the real reason you married Mom here was because when you met her at that meet-and-greet mixer thing you thought she had a great ass."

Franklin Hallis looked suitably appalled. "What the hell was she thinking telling you that?"

"Maybe that it was better than thinking you married her to get free childcare" Sarah suggested.

"Trish right, it always been my theory too" Barbara chipped in. "Years of data collected from practical experimentation and observation of subject support this hypothesis" she continued, mimicking the speech patterns of the scientific elite that still dominated on Niops. "Also ass still pretty great now despite having grown up children" she added, complementing herself. "You should come home to dinner tomorrow night, not eat at barracks like usual" she told Sarah. "Judith is bringing new boyfriend around to meet family, nice college boy, going to be radio astronomer."

"What another one?" Hallis moaned. "She must have dated half the students at the university."

"Always being asked out, sweet girl who also smart and inherited great ass from mother" Barbara responded, grinning at the running joke. "She tell me to tell you not scare this one away like last two who came for dinner. No talk of crushing man under foot of mech and having to scrape him off on building, and no explaining about what flamer does to infantry"

"But those are his best stories" Sarah opined earning a glare from Barbara for her troubles.

"Scare this one off too and sleeping on couch for next week" Barbara told her husband sternly.

"And just think about how much you'd miss her great ass" Sarah deadpanned, raising one hand to high-five her Mom.

Franklin Hallis narrowed his eyes. "Sarah you've clearly been spending far too much time with Trish, I may have to send her to command the Alphard garrison."

"Before you do just ask yourself, 'What Would Sarah McEvedy do?' I mean other than get nuked at Great Hope" the Khan's namesake and doppelganger replied. "Too soon?" she added when his expression became very dark.

----------

Author's Notes

This is not the Sarah McEvedy you are looking for. Your Khan is in another castle.  ;)

In case you were wondering what the point-of-diversion was from the original time-line it all has to do with when the jump-drive on the Saratoga went wrong during Operation Switchback. Instead of being a case of really bad luck it was extremely fortuitous here.

The Niops Association was cut off from the Inner Sphere by the Amaris Civil War and remained isolated during the subsequent Operation Exodus and then the First Succession War.

A large group of Capellan Refugees fleeing the widespread destruction wrought by the First Succession War stumbled upon Niops and were partially integrated into the existing society, in canon eventually ending up as a labour class ruled by the scientific elite. When the survivors of Clan Wolverine arrived a few years later (during the brief lull between the First and Second Succession Wars the Wolverines own recent experiences regarding the caste system of Nicolas Kerensky caused them to take a dim view of the way they saw Niops developing (and they had the numbers and influence to make a difference).

Franklin Hallis, last Khan of Clan Wolverine married Barbara, a woman of Capellan refugee descent. This was after he decided to use the Wolverine's genetic records to create another Sarah McEvedy (genetically she's somewhere between being a daughter and an actual clone of the former Khan). The clans developed Iron Womb technology before Wolverines seceded, Niops has it now. The cultural separation between the Capellans and the original Star-League population on Niops means that her English isn't perfect despite being born there to refugee parents. She speaks the Mandarin and Russian of her parents people perfectly though.

The Marian Hegemony was founded on Alphard (less than 48 LY from Niops but further out in the periphery) in 2920. This was funded by the discovery there of an abandoned storehouse holding some 50 billion C-Bills of germanium. Thanks to the ownership of multiple jump capable vessels (and a desire to look for resources outwards rather than towards the Inner Sphere while the Second Succession War raged) Niops got there first.

Clan Wolverine was at the cutting edge of ERPPC development when they left the clans. Producing less advanced Star-League Era ERPPC's and PPC's is easy for them. Fortunately the closest Successor State to Niops, the Free Worlds League, had an even bigger problem getting hold of a supply of reliable PPC's during this era than their rivals. That was a ready market opportunity for an independent polity that can readily explain it's ability to produce such equipment as its being a high-tech scientific colony founded by the Star League. As long as the PPC's keep arriving from Niops the Free World's League is more than happy with the new emerging interstellar micronation on their border.

« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 10:42:02 by Hotpoint »
"A dread fear rests deep in the heart of Clan Coyote that one day a lawyer will arrive on Tamaron talking about intellectual property rights, the Mercury II and the Coyotl omnimech and this will herald the end of the Clan as the Not-Named sue their asses into bankruptcy for patent infringement" - The True History of the Clans (Dark Caste Press: 3050)

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2020, 10:23:41 »
Another to influence away from stratification/caste type life would be the Magistry. Though they also did not loose their Education level that much, They still restricted their male half of the population badly.
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2020, 10:27:46 »
Nice story update!  I wonder how far their R and D will go and espionage forces?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2020, 14:28:18 »
Good update.  And if the FWL has any inkling there's any sizeable portion ff the SLDF there at Niops, it would make just taking Association militarily to gain that PPC production directly too problematic to bother with.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 15 July 2020, 13:57:38 »

----------

Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille Middle School - Niops VII - 2855

The school Principal eventually managed to get all the children settled down in the lecture hall and judged from their mood that at least they seemed to be pleased that this weeks special guest speaker wasn't another astrophysicist who was going to bore them talking about emission spectra or stellar masses. "Good Afternoon everyone" she said loudly, quieting the few still being rowdy. "I would like to introduce you all to Captain Simon Mitchell, formerly of the Star League Navy and I expect you all to give him a warm welcome to Lacaille" she told the assembled classes.

"Thank you Principal Kohoutek, it's great to be here" the man wearing civilian clothes topped with an worn Star League naval officers cap responded, taking a seat at the front of the lecture hall facing the staff and children.

"Wow!" one of the younger children exclaimed loudly. "How old are you?" she asked. The man looked positively ancient.

The Principal was about to chastise the girl for being rude and talking out of turn but before she could their guest's laughter cut her off. "How old am I?" he asked rhetorically. "I'm so old that when I went to college my physics professor was Thomas Kearny" he joked, earning a few laughs from around the room because everyone knew who that was and that he lived eight-hundred years ago. "I'm so old that my SLDF service number only has two digits and my enlistment papers were written in hieroglyphics" he continued, to a little more mirth from his young audience. "I'm so darn old that the first time I went hunting pirates for the navy I was looking for Long John Silver and Captain Hook" he joked this time getting most of the children to laugh. There was no point trying to pretend that he wasn't a living fossil, he had moved on from being charitably described as 'Distinguished' towards being 'Decrepit' at least twenty years ago.

"How old are you really?" the girl who had first asked the question insisted.

"Next month I turn one-hundred and thirty five" Mitchell told her. "Really" he added in case she thought he was still joking. "I know you're all smart kids who can do the math yourselves but to save you the bother I was born in 2730 back when Simon Cameron was First Lord of the Star League, my parents named me after him."

"You must be the oldest person in the galaxy!" another child said in amazement.

"Nah, I was born on Terra. People there sometimes live to a hundred and fifty, if they're rich enough to afford the medical care and have the right genes to start with anyway" Mitchell told him. Life expectancy on Niops was better than in most of the Inner Sphere, locals here could readily expect to hit a hundred and ten, but even a relatively advanced colony like Niops couldn't match the standard of living on humanities homeworld.

"Captain Mitchell actually met First Lord Simon Cameron didn't you?" the Principal noted.

"Met is too strong a word, I waved at him once when he visited my home town to open a new museum" Mitchell corrected her with a smile. "I did get to shake hands with his son Richard when I graduated Annapolis Naval Academy, of course he was only about ten years old at the time so it was General Aleksandr Kerensky who gave the actual commencement speech" he explained. "I remember he looked really nervous, Richard Cameron I mean, but he looked cute as a button in the little Star League Navy uniform he had on."

At this point most of the children were staring at Mitchell in amazement, the Star League and what happened to House Cameron were just history to them. This was a man who had actually shook hands with the First Lord.

"I guess you've got loads of stories" another child suggested, hoping to maybe prompt a war story.

Mitchell grinned. "You wouldn't believe how many, even with all the ones I've forgotten because I'm older than dirt" he confirmed. "Well her's one to start. Did you know I was the first Wolverine to ever visit Niops?" he asked rhetorically. "Of course that was like a century ago, long before there was any such thing as the Wolverines" he told them. "It's not such a long story though and not very exciting. After Annapolis I served on a couple of ships in Terran Hegemony space before eventually being assigned to the Seventh Fleet in Marik territory as the navigation officer on a transport jumpship" he continued. "One of the jobs of the Seventh Fleet's transport vessels was to provide logistical support to the Army and one day, not long after I reported for duty, we received orders to haul some military supplies to a system I'd never heard of and then bring back some other cargo in return."   

The long-retired Naval officer chuckled to himself. "Of course seeing as how I was the Navigation Officer I didn't actually admit to my CO that i didn't know where the planet we were supposed to be going to actually was" he said, grimacing for comedic effect. "I was just lucky I had a chance to find it on a map and do some research before he asked me to start plotting our first jump" he told them. "Remember kids. If you don't know what you're doing you can always just bluff and try to look like you do until you can actually figure it out" he advised, correctly doubting that the Principal was unlikely to approve of that one. "And so that's how I ended up on Niops the first time and after that it was about seventy years before I made it back here again."

Those cargo runs to Niops, and also more frequently the Illyrian Palatinate in the run up to the Periphery Uprising of 2765 had been entirely unofficial and were therefore not well known about, Mitchell knew. They were merely tolerated, rather than formally approved by SLDF High Command, with the Top Brass only turning a blind eye because it meant that the otherwise relentlessly annoying Major-General Lijsbeth van Coevorden of XXXIV Corps spent less time pestering them for a larger allocation of supplies. Of Taurian birth she had always suspected, probably rightly, that the age-old ill-feeling between the SLDF and the Taurian Concordat meant that her command tended to get screwed over when it came to logistics. Fortunately for the forces under her command, after feeling out the local Periphery worlds for alternate means of supply she found that the Palatinate was only too happy to trade basic resources for a the few types of military supplies XXXIV Corps had in surplus. Meanwhile Niops as a technologically advanced world could provide more sophisticated goods than the Illyrians and moreover as a Star League colony they were patriotic enough to want to support the local SLDF forces when they could as well.

Captain Simon Mitchell SLDF Navy (Ret.) was a man that could tell a tale and when he started to tell the children of helping to hunt pirates and later his involvement in both trying to put down the Periphery Rising and then fighting the Amaris Coup he had their rapt attention. He talked about fighting in battles right across colonised space as they beat down the forces loyal to Amaris and then he told them about ending up in command of a warship during the operation to Liberate Terra and then of later choosing to join Aleksandr Kerensky in his Exodus.

While the Inner Sphere itself was wracked by the First Succession War a miniature version of the same had broken out in the Pentagon Worlds after Kerensky's death and Mitchell had fought in that war too, the fighting raging until Nicholas Kerensky and his clans eventually brought everyone to heel.

Two years later Mitchell ended up in yet another war, commanding the corvette Badger in the name of Clan Wolverine against all the other clans. If you asked him why he got the job he would joke that it was because the Vincent Class warship was such an old design, originally dating from 2432, that Khan McEvedy couldn't find anyone else who still knew how to operate the clockwork computers and steam-powered jumpdrive which made the old girl work.

Mitchell was already ninety-three years old when Clan Wolverine seceded and had been hoping to retire. No such luck.

"So there we are, running for our lives heading back to the Inner Sphere when the lousy jumpdrive on the Saratoga broke down" Mitchell told the children, throwing up his hands in exasperation. As he told the stories it was almost like he was getting younger and more animated, at least in manner if not appearance. "Khan Hallis doesn't want to leave any ships behind, especially such a valuable one with a lithium-fusion battery, so he orders the entire fleet to halt while they tried to fix it. The plan had been to keep going until we reached Barbados, with saKhan Ebon commanding her squadron, which included the Saratoga, acting as a screening force ahead of the main squadron.

Captain Mitchell grinned again. "You know what? Having the Saratoga break down when she did was the luckiest thing ever because when they got her going again and we jumped into Barbados we picked up jump signatures from ships that had just jumped out!" he told them. "Honestly we barely missed them by the skin of our teeth and Khan Hallis immediately ordered a quick series of jumps in a coreward and anti-spinward direction to try and get clear of their search pattern" he explained. "It took us well out of our way, added months to our journey and supplies got really short, but we never saw the clans again."

Mitchell sighed. "It all seemed like things were going our way until we arrived at the edge of Lyran space and the scouts we send ahead in disguise found out that after Kerensky left in 2784 the Inner Sphere had torn itself apart. The Terran Hegemony was gone, billions had been killed by nuclear bombardment and somehow the people that used to run the telephone company had taken control of Terra" he recalled gloomily. Our scouts gathered as much information as they could, trying to find us somewhere to go, but the Star League and the SLDF was completely finished" he told the children sadly, "Eventually Khan Hallis called all the senior officers together on his flagship and told us we might need to head out into the Deep Periphery and establish a new home there."

"And that was the moment when someone that looked a lot like me, but with a few less wrinkles back then, asked if anyone had checked up on the Star League colony at Niops which is when everyone else in the room stared at me blankly and said; 'Niops?'."

Mitchell laughed uproariously at the memory. "And the lesson of today's story is that if you live through enough history you might make some yourself if only by whim of fate or accident!"

----------

Author's Notes

Life expectancy for Terrans given proper medical care can be extremely long, people in other places in the Inner Sphere (and the Periphery especially) are not so fortunate. It's perfectly possible for someone like my OC Stephen Mitchell here to have lived through an awful lot of Battletech history!

The Vincent Class Corvette Badger was lost at the Battle of Barbados with all hands (crippled the ship blew itself up to take an enemy vessel with it). It's not really too much of a stretch to say it only panned out that way for the Wolverines at Barbados because the jumpdrive on the Saratoga failed after they got there not before.

It's mentioned in Field Manual: SLDF that the XXXIV Army Corps traded with the both the Illyrian_Palatinate and Niops for supplies. The system was always pretty obscure and well off the beaten track (before the Marian Hegemony formed anyway) which is why it managed to get through the First and Second Succession Wars intact and off anyone's radar.

And now you know how the Woverines ended up on Niops. They had nowhere else to go... and they had someone along who had been there before!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 15 July 2020, 14:19:21 »
Excellent idea!  :thumbsup:

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 15 July 2020, 15:01:05 »
Makes sense.

Kyryst

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 15 July 2020, 15:52:42 »
If people are older, and had been in the service a while, they pick up a lot of information that is not so well known or flattering to the brass for that matter. I bet that after that they interviewed every older person for events and places of interest. (Castle Brians and places like Odessa)

I remember my Great-Uncle Tommy, who enlisted at 16 during the Great War, then when he first tried retiring- WW2 happened. He had some stories to tell about different places and some unkind stories to tell about the Brass and the Pacific Front.

EDIT: He was a short man, so he was shoved in the most cramped position in a bomber- the tailgunner seat. They realized that short, wiry men worked best for that position and had him recruit for that position. He was in the Phillipines as part of the Far East Air Force and was captured. He survived a death march and an internment camp to be rescued. After recovering he was assigned to a bomber flight line. Back then, if bomber did not have enough men, they would shanghai crew off the flight line to fill empty seats, so he was pulled on a bomber short of crew. That bomber was shot down. He survived that and was captured again. After he was rescued a second time, this time from a internment camp in Japan, he was brought up on charges for being AWOL. His records were never straightened out after that, and they tried to pull him back into the service for the Korean War. Thankfully he was able to fight that, or he would have been fighting his third war in his fifties as an enlisted man. He was fighting man, a boxer, and lived thru all that and died at 97. Good man.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2020, 14:31:40 by Kyryst »

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 16 July 2020, 15:15:34 »
He was fighting man, a boxer, and lived thru all that and died at 97. Good man.

May $Deity-of-choice bless him, and so many, many others like him. And our thanks for his service, and for sharing his story.

Hotpoint

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 17 July 2020, 06:01:27 »

----------

Leonardo da Vinci Military Research & Development Facility (AKA "The Workshop") - Niops V - 2855

Former Star-Colonel Jax Benedict was, in the words of Franklin Hallis, 'a hidebound martinet with an anal-retentive attention to detail and no patience for excuses'. These attributes had seen him appointed to the role of Inspector-General of the SLDF-in-Exile (Niops) because Hallis had plenty of talented field commanders, and he admitted Benedict was that too, but only one 'abrasive jerk with brains who can actually do this job properly'.

It was most certainly a barbed complement of his character at best but after considering all the other possible candidates, which likely included that jumped-up Star-Captain turned saKhan Trish Ebon, Benedict had to agree that nobody else was up to the task of bringing order out of the chaos of logistics and military R&D. Therefore after many years of commanding the 444th Cluster unit in peace and war he gave up command of his old unit and devoted his energies elsewhere.

Today's unannounced inspection visit of 'Leonardo's Workshop' was once again proving he had made the right decision as he had the entire senior staff of the Directed-Energy-Weapons Research team dragged in front of him so he could find out first-hand why it was taking them all so long to develop the next generation of SLDF lasers and PPC's.

"Before you berate us for delays in getting the prototype of the Improved Enhanced PPC into production you should ask those blithering idiots over there why it took them nearly fifteen years to shave half-a-ton in mass from a kludged-together prototype and why we haven't see anything else from them since" Agatha Cooper, the female scientist in charge of PPC development told Benedict, pointing over towards her opposite number from the Laser project team. "I mean they've barely moved on from a weapon that was used in Operation Klondike a generation ago for God's sake!"

"That is simply not true!" the man running the rival team responded sharply. "We have several overlapping fields of research underway that are showing real progress" he insisted.

"Don't try and feed us that load of crap Farnstrom" the PPC woman retorted. "Half your team were tinkering with Pulse-Laser designs when they should have been focused on the Extended Range weapons you were actually supposed to be working on."

"Pulse Lasers have great potential" another one of the laser weapon team spoke up before he was shushed by his team leader.

"And it gets worse, ask them what they're working on now" the PPC team leader suggested, smirking at her rival. It was painfully obvious to Benedict that there was certainly no love lost between the two teams.

The other scientist cleared his throat to defend himself. "Once we solve a few minor developmental problems our Integrated-Extended-Range-Pulse-Laser will be the envy of every weapon designer from Strana-Mechty to Taurus!"

"It'll take you two hundred years to get it to work! It's too ambitious Farnstrom you old fool!" Cooper spat back.

"If you want to forge ahead in science you need to have an aspirational goal and I'm less than two years older than you, you senile old bat!"

"ENOUGH!" Benedict thundered shutting them both up immediately. "Would I be correct in assuming that if you worked solely on developing either Extended-Range Lasers or Pulse-Lasers alone you would produce something we could actually use far earlier?" he asked the head of the laser project team.

"Well yes but..."

"Then do that" Benedict growled. "Put together two reports, one for each avenue of research, how much each would cost and how long it would take and get it to me by next week" he ordered. "I'll consult with SLDF High Command and we'll decide which we want you do do first."

"Heh" the PPC team chief made an amused sound. "That told you Farnstrom" she said with a smirk.

The laser project chief glared at his opposite number. "If you were a man I'd ask you to step outside Cooper" he told her angrily.

Cooper laughed. "And if you were a man I'd accept" she replied. He was going to need a lot of ice to soothe that PPC burn there she thought to herself gleefully as her rival visibly seethed in response. "In case you wondering about the progress the PPC research team is making Mr. Benedict..."

"That's 'Inspector-General' Benedict" the man himself interrupted curtly.

"Of course" Cooper acceded, "despite the delays Inspector-General Benedict, these being mostly a result of a shortage of funding and lack of personnel, we should have the prototype Improved Enhanced Particle Projection Cannon, or IEERPCC, ready for testing next month."

"The predicted increase in firepower over our current Enhanced ERPPC?" Benedict queried.

"Twenty-five percent for the same amount of waste heat produced" Cooper replied. "No change in physical mass or dimensions so it should be simple to swap out the older model for the replacement."

Benedict nodded his approval. The Enhanced ERPPC was already notably better than anything in the Inner Sphere and the next generation weapon would increase their technological edge over the Successor States still further. "Good. How long to get it into production?"

"Baring any unforeseen problems that emerge when testing the prototype we can have a pre-production version ready for mass-manufacture before next year but I'm afraid you'll have to ask our colleagues in the factory annex how long it will take them to re-tool to make it" Cooper replied. "As for the future we are already brainstorming two new avenues of research, one aimed at reducing the size and weight of the IEERPPC while the other investigates the possibility of increasing the range and firepower still further" she said. "Naturally we will ask the SLDF for guidance on which avenue they would like us to progress as a matter of priority."

"In my experience as a combat veteran more range and striking power would be good but it's not my call" Benedict told her. "Again I would like to be provided with a report on both possible future projects for examination by SLDF High Command" he requested.

"Will do" Cooper agreed.

"Sycophant" Farnstrom muttered loud enough to be overheard.

"Incompetent oaf" Cooper retorted.

"I DON'T KNOW WHY I EVER MARRIED YOU. I MUST HAVE BEEN MAD!" Farnstrom shouted at her.

"It was the best decision you ever made whereas divorcing you was mine" Cooper declared.

"Jesus Christ" Benedict moaned to himself, burying his head in his hands as two of the supposedly smartest people in human colonised space started screaming at each other.

----------

Author's Notes

Jax Benedict was a Star-Colonel in charge of the 444th Cluster of the Wolverine touman. In canon (from Betrayal of Ideals) when Franklin Hallis promoted Star Captain Trish Ebon to Star colonel (and saKhan) he was sore enough about it to want to fight a Trial of Grievance.

Clan Wolverine introduced the Enhanced ERPPC in 2823 and at the time it was cutting edge technology (although it was later superseded by the superior Clan ERPPC). The Niops Improved EERPPC is actually inferior to the CERPPC (same firepower but larger and heavier) but they're still developing the technology.

Prototype versions of the small and medium Extended-Range Laser were in use by the Clans during Operation Klondike so the Wolverines would have them. They were heavier and less reliable than the later perfected designs but they're a start. Clan Wolf developed the Extended-Range-Pulse-Laser in 3057 (building upon the already mature designs for the Clan ER Lasers's  and Pulse Lasers, Farnstrom and his team are very much trying to run before they can walk.

The Wolverines brought the designs and tooling for all of their new battlemech designs with them when the left the clans. In the years since they got to Niops they have begun to churn out their Mercury II, Stag and Pulverizer first to replace losses during the attempted Annihilation and then to retire less capable machines of Star-League vintage.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 17 July 2020, 06:15:59 »
Love the Futurama reference
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 17 July 2020, 11:08:27 »
Benedict should really know better than to put those two in a room together...  ^-^

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #27 on: 17 July 2020, 12:08:15 »
Nice one.
I am liking this view of Wolverine Niops from several perspectives.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 17 July 2020, 17:24:43 »
And yes old service members often know things that newer Brass has no clue about.

I was told stories of items in storage, that had been in storage long enough that whatever Sergeant Bilko had stashed and hidden it away was long forgotten as was the items. 
Or that while they tell the new officers that we have never been here before, there were "NCOs" who had and knew where things were
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 17 July 2020, 17:53:03 »
Yep, every Sept 15th, Order up things for the Div that we might or might not need....
and leave some for the end of month party
-Me

- Socrates