Author Topic: Looking for group in Central Maryland  (Read 117267 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: Looking for group in Central Maryland
« Reply #780 on: 02 February 2020, 23:50:19 »
I was going to have premade forces.  I will need some help with some miniatures though.  There are some Star League era mechs that I do not have.  We could use proxies, but I prefer to have the actual models if possible.

Just send me a PM and let me know what you will need.  I can bring them with me and retrieve them from you later.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #781 on: 03 February 2020, 00:03:14 »
Amusing! Almost a sign of success.

There's a good store in Bel Air and in Annapolis, but both those locations are further away from DC.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #782 on: 03 February 2020, 00:27:42 »
Amusing! Almost a sign of success.

There's a good store in Bel Air and in Annapolis, but both those locations are further away from DC.
I think the idea was just to bring the game to MD rather than keep it closer to DC.  Annapolis isn't that much farther then GB when coming from DC and it might even be easier to get to with weekend traffic. 

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #783 on: 03 February 2020, 11:11:17 »
I won't be able to make the 2/29 game, since I'll be at SCRUMcon that day in Silver Spring. Best of luck though - I'm really heartened to see too many local BT games to keep track of, between the "Paul" group, the Monday Alpha Strike crew at G&S, a third Classic BT group at G&S (the ones with the sweet printed terrain), and the burgeoning group at Gamers Corps. If I ever get my soul/free time back, I'll eventually start doing stuff up in Bel Air, but it'll be awhile.

Also a note that Paul and I will be GMing one of the "main" games at Cold Wars in Lancaster this year, Saturday 3/14 at 11 am:

S11:494 - Battletech - Operation REVIVAL: Trials of Position
Saturday, 11:00 AM, 6 Hrs, 12 Players
GM: Aaron Cahall & Battletech
Sponsor: None, Prize: Certificate of Rank
Period: SciFi, Scale: 1:285 micro, Rules: BattleTech: Total Warfare

The time has come for the Clans to return to the Inner Sphere - take your Trial of Position and claim a place in Operation REVIVAL! Players will be paired together on a single map and face three ‘Mechs, one at a time, piloted by expert trainers. Each kill moves you up to higher levels of command and glory. Official certificates of rank will be awarded to all players! If time allows, multiple attempts at the Trial with different partners will be possible. All materials, miniatures and dice will be provided. Intermediate to experienced players and no Players under 15 years old.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #784 on: 03 February 2020, 12:09:37 »
Just got a reply from the people at Gamers Corps, they said they have the space available for a game on the 29th.

So let's plan on playing there then.

@Jeff If you can update the Facebook posting, I'll buy you a beer when the next time the group goes out for the post game meal.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2020, 14:30:26 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #785 on: 03 February 2020, 14:28:23 »
Also a note that Paul and I will be GMing one of the "main" games at Cold Wars in Lancaster this year, Saturday 3/14 at 11 am:

In the words of Joe Swanson, "BRING IT ON!!"
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #786 on: 09 February 2020, 01:29:35 »
Greetings fellow mechwarriros!

Just wanted to give you all an update on things.  The game will be held on February 29th at Gamers Corps in Ellicott City, MD.  Start time will be noon and go for 6-7 hours.

This scenario is set in the year 2778.  General Kerensky and the SLDF have launched a new campaign to retake Terra from Stefan Amaris.  His latest offensive push has been met with stiff resistance, but has eventually gained the upper hand and is about to breakthrough the Amaris lines.  However, a heat bloom has been detected in a series of hills.  Satellite imagery shows what appears to be a missile installation preparing to launch.  The Amris Empire have shown little to no restraint on the usage of WMDs in the past, so we must assume this new threat is nuclear and/or biological.

The SLDF units that are being tasked for this mission are the only ones in reserve close enough to have any chance at stopping any launch from happening.  Your mission is to locate and secure the launch control room.  There are no obvious signs of structures or buildings, so intel suggests the launch facilities are located inside the hills themselves.  Time is against you and the enemy defenses are unknown.  Good hunting warriors.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #787 on: 09 February 2020, 06:09:18 »
Sounds interesting!  I'll try to be there...

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #788 on: 19 February 2020, 13:47:05 »
I’m local and could join from noon until 2 or 3 pm. Would I be welcome to come for part of the session? If not I totally understand.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #789 on: 19 February 2020, 16:41:09 »
I’m local and could join from noon until 2 or 3 pm. Would I be welcome to come for part of the session? If not I totally understand.

That's completely fine if you can only join us for a couple hours.  There will be plenty of units to divvy out.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2020, 17:07:22 by Jester006 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #790 on: 19 February 2020, 18:13:54 »
And there should be plenty of players to pick up any of your units when you have to leave...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #791 on: 19 February 2020, 18:28:40 »
And there should be plenty of players to pick up any of your units when you have to leave...

Even if we have to kidna....I mean...."convince" some of those Magic the Gathering players to try out some rompy stompy robots.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2020, 21:41:21 by Jester006 »

Deuces

• Private
« Reply #792 on: 20 February 2020, 20:44:42 »
That's completely fine if you can only join us for a couple hours.  There will be plenty of units to divvy out.

Awesome—looking forward to it.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #793 on: 28 February 2020, 12:33:58 »
Just as a reminder, there is going to be a game tomorrow at Gamers Corps in Ellicott City, MD.  Start time will be noon.

As a warning, parking isnt the best.  I checked out the venue a couple of weeks ago and it's got plenty of room.  I'll see you all there.

-Jester

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #794 on: 01 March 2020, 09:16:42 »
Great game yesterday Jester, thanks for putting it on!  :thumbsup:

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #795 on: 01 March 2020, 17:35:42 »
Great game yesterday Jester, thanks for putting it on!  :thumbsup:

I just wish the Cyclops got to see a little more action before the Long Toms got that lucky hit on it.

Other than that, it was a bloody fight all around.  For those who werent able to join us but wish to know some of the details, here you go.

The Amaris forces had:
Matar, Annihilator 1X, Rampage 4G, Pillager 3Z, Cyclops 10Z, Awesome 8Q, Dragoon 03, Helepolis 3H, Emperor 6A, 4 LRM turrets w/ twin LRM20s, 4 turrets w/ AC20 & twin SRM6s, 2 turrets w/ AC10 thumper artillery cannon 4 medium pulse lasers & 6 MGs.  They also had some pit traps that filled with a highly corrosive acid and dozens upon dozens of minefields.  All the turrets had gunnery skills of 3 and all their mech warriors were 1 gunners & 2 pilots.

SLDF:
Excalibur B2b, Warhammer 6R, Hussar Db, Lynx 9Q, Phoenix Hawk 1c (special), Cestus 6Y, Mongoose 66b, Bombardier 12D, Starslayer 2C, Osprey 15, King Crab 010, Black Knight 6b, Externinator 4C, Kyudo 02, Orion K, Marauder 2R, Griffin 2N, Phienix 3R, Stinger 3Gb, Shadow Hawk 2Hb, Archer 2Rb, Higander 732b, Shootist 8A, Battlemaster & 4 off-board Ling Toms.  All the mech pilots were 2 gunners and 3 pilots with the exception of the King Crab being a 1/2.

The SLDF's objective was to find hidden entrances into a launch control facility and open up a way to try and get as many Maxims into the facility as they could.  All Amaris forces had to do was stall the SLDF for as long as they could.  The SLDF started with all their mechs on the board with the exception of the King Crab, Highlander, Shootist and Black Knight; those would enter the battlefield on turn 6 via combat dropping.

The first turn of the game started off with the SLDF advancing and shifting the bulk of their forces to their right flank to avoid going down the middle of the board that was flanked by 2 large hills.  Upon one of these hills (the one the SLDF shifter towards) was the Rampage and Pillager.  The opposite hill had the Emperor.  Further behind those 2 hills (about12-14 hexes away) was the biggest hill on the board where all the rest of the Amaris mechs had deployed.

The SLDF started off by focusing on the Pillager and the Amaris in return opened up on the Cestus.  The Pillager took a blistering amount of damage, but nothing major was lost.  The Cestus was quickly dealt with when a gauss rifle punched through its face; first blood to Amaris.

The next couple turns saw the SLDF continue to push down their right flank and running into the first line of mines.  2 of the AC20 turrets revealed themselves (one on each of the middle hills) and began to lay down covering fire for the Pillager to pull back.  The SLDF destroyed the turret closest to them.  One of the LRM turrets on the hill where the rest of the Amaris mechs were started laying down thunder LRMs in the valley between the 2 middle hills.  The Rampage and Pillgaer tried to take out the Mongoose to deprive the SLDF of one of their beagle probes; but in an amazing disaster, the Mongoose was largely missed.  The Stinger ended up falling in a pit trap, but managed to get out of it using its jump jets before the acid could cripple it.

The SLDF Long Toms then started to make their presence felt as rounds began landing on the hill where the bulk of the Amaris mechs were positioned.  Some light damage was done, but nothing too spectacular.  The SLDF managed to chase the Pillager and destroy it.  The other AC20 turret had been trying to engage targets that were in range, but kept missing with it's big gun.

The SLDF then managed to core the Rampage without any sizable loss in return; the remaining AC20 turret kept missing with 8s and 9s to hit...  However, the minefields were slowing the SLDF down a bit.  The Mongoose was finally taken out by a gauss rifle and other SLDF mechs were starting to take noticeable damage.

Seeing that they were spending too much time on trying to clear minefields, the SLDF decided to charge through them.  When they passed the 2nd line of mines, another AC20 turret revealed itself and open fired.  All the Amaris LRM turrets then started to fire swarm missiles at the clump of SLDF mechs with 1 of the AC10 turrets engaging the Hussar to remove the last BAP the SLDF had left on the board.

This is when the SLDF made their push towards the big hill.  Over the next couple turns the SLDF managed to lose the Hussar, the Phoenix Hawk (which was kicked in the head by the Awesome), the Lynx (who tried to DFA the Annihilator), the Warhammer and the Excalibur passed out from 4 pilot hits.  The Cyclops got unlucky and had one of the Long Tom rounds drift right behind it.  Damage from the Long Tom managed to punch through its rear left torso which caused an ammo explosion taking it out in a conflagration.  This was also about when the lance of the King Crab, Highlander, Black Knight and Shootist landed to join the fight.

The Annihilator and Awesome started to go internal on several locations.  The Awesome lost one of its PPCs and the Annihilator lost an LBX.  Despite the Amaris side starting to become overwhelmed, the SLDF were running out of time.  They only found 2 of 4 entrances.  One had been rigged to detonate and exploded in the faces of the Griffin and Exterminator thereby collapsing it.  The other one had the Matar (untouched btw) sitting right in front of it.

The Bombardier's LRM ammo had been depleted and decided to charge the 4th AC20 turret that had revealed its position when it fired at the Black Knight in the previous turn.  With the combined firepower from the Emperor, who had managed to retreat to the main hill, and the AC20 turret the Bombardier was destroyed.

As a side note, the little Stinger that could managed to fall into another pit but was able to stand up in the same turn to get out the following round.

It was at this point I called the game due to time constraints.  We had completed 7 full turns.  I had secretly written down that starting at the end of turn 10 I would roll a die to determine if the launch sequence had reached a point where a missile launch was unavoidable.  If I rolled a 6 and the SLDF didnt have enough Maxims enter the base, then Amaris would win.  If I didn't roll a 6 and the SLDF had forces inside the base, the SLDF would win.  If I didnt roll a 6, but the SLDF didnt have enough Maxims in, then another turn would be played.  On the following turn the die roll for a launch to occur would drop from a 6 to a 5.

Because we had to call time, I did a hypothetical to see how many turns it would take to launch.  The Amaris side would have needed to hold off the SLDF for an additional 5 turns.  Looking at the board state, I made a judgement call saying the SLDF would be able to get the Maxims in, but just barely.

The Maxims were 2 tunrs away from getting in a position to make a dash for an entrance.  During that time, the Black Knight would have been able to find 1 of the 2 remaining hidden doors.  The SLDF had enough mechs to blow open that door and give the remaining Amaris mechs stuff to deal with at the same time.

The SLDF may have lost another mech or 2 during this time.  The Marauder had started going internal on its CT and had taken a gyro and engine hit.  Amaris would most certainly have lost the Annihilator during this time ad it was about to lose its RT and was about to start having its CT take internal damage.  The Awesome was on the verge of losing both its arms, but that wouldnt have affected it that much.

So in summary, the SLDF would have managed to win the scenario by the skin of their teeth.  The total loses for each side were the following:

AMARIS
3/4 AC20 turrets
3/4 LRM turrets
1/2 AC10 turrets
Pillager
Annihilator
Cyclops
Rampage

SLDF
Cestus
Bomabardier
Marauder
Mongoose
Hussar
Phoenix Hawk
Lynx
Excalibur
Warhammer
Long Tom artillery piece (from Helepolis counter battery fire)

The Amarus side had some really unlucky rolls.  The Pillager managed to miss with both of its gauss rifles in 2 consecutive turns needing 5s to hit.  Then there was the Long Tom that scattered behind the Cyclops that caused an ammo explosion.  Out of all the shots the AC20 turrets took, which was at least a dozen, only one hit.  Most of the shots needed 8s and 9s to hit, but 1 or two of those should have hit.  The only time an AC20 turret hit was when the Bombardier got right next to one; every other shot from the AC20s missed.

The worst luck the SLDF had was when the Stinger fell in those 2 pits and the Cestus getting head shot in the first turn.

Other than that, there really wasnt much either side could have done better.  The SLDF kept their mechs concentrated (for the most part) and focused on the biggest threats as the situation changed. 

Amaris did a good job of taking out the Hussar and Mongoose before they could get use their BAPs to great effect; although the Mongoose should have died much earlier if it wasnt for those 2 bad rounds of shooting from the Pillager.  The only thing could have possibly been done different is not having the Helepolis do counter battery.  I completely understand why it was done and I am not criticizing the decision to take out the Long Toms; but it would have been interesting to see what sort of different results may have happened had it kept shooting at the SLDF on the map.

Both sides played well I think everyone had a good time playing.  I want to thank everyone who came out to the game and for putting up with the parking complications.  I especially want to thank Jatska and Firesprocket for providing some of the mechs I didnt have that were used in the game.  I also want to thank Daryk, megs1120, and Jatska (again) for helping with setting up the game and helping take it down.  Thank you Paul for helping out the SLDF people and make the game run a bit smoother.

Look forward more games with you all.  Until then, cheers!

-Jester

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #796 on: 01 March 2020, 18:08:00 »
Awesome job setting up the game, I think everyone had fun!

Your report is detailed, I found only 2 items I'd want to comment on.

Seeing that they were spending too much time on trying to clear minefields, the SLDF decided to charge through them. 

We actually spent 0 time clearing minefields; the Archer and Bombardier were clearing them while the unit advanced. We were about to start losing time clearing the minefields (miscommunication with the Bombardier pilot), so that drove the decision to charge through and clear the fields with legs instead of LRMs.

The Bombardier's LRM ammo had been depleted and decided to charge the 4th AC20 turret that had revealed its position when it fired at the Black Knight in the previous turn.  With the combined firepower from the Emperor, who had managed to retreat to the main hill, and the AC20 turret the Bombardier was destroyed.

Also noteworthy to point out: one of the players decided to jump her Phoenix (not Phoenix hawk) on a previously damaged turret to provoke a collapse. She found a heck of a basement... But got back on her feet would've rejoined the fight turn 8 or so.

The Awesome was on the verge of losing both its arms, but that wouldnt have affected it that much.

I think in 5 turns, we would've dropped the Awesome and the Matar with ease. We were about to push 200 damage per turn on target, with them being unable to degrade it much. Super Heavies basically beg to die with the -1 to hit. 1 turn on the Awesome, 3 turns on the Matar, 1 turn to blow open 2 doors worth, and that's not counting what could've been achieved with physicals.
I think only the Dragoon would've been left alive and mobile.

was at least a dozen, only one hit.  Most of the shots needed 8s and 9s to hit, but 1 or two of those should have hit. 

Yep. 2 more.
The AC20s would've been better put near the main hill. The 2 hills that had Mechs start on them should've had AC10s or PPCs on em. We would've still 1-turn killed them, but at least it's a turn where we're not wrecking something else.

Also, the thing that (eventually) became fatal for the Mongoose was the pit trap it almost stepped in. =)

The worst luck the SLDF had was when the Stinger fell in those 2 pits and the Cestus getting head shot in the first turn.

Eh, we had a few turns where we put less than 50% of our firepower on target. We were just pumping a lot more.
Also, the Warhammer losing the PPC basically the first time the Emperor looked at it stung. We were light on heavies. Fortunately, they focussed on it probably longer than they should've. They definitely invested wayyy too much firepower in dropping the Bombardier.
I would also say that all LRM turrets should've been spamming Thunders, not just 1.

The only thing could have possibly been done different is not having the Helepolis do counter battery.  I completely understand why it was done and I am not criticizing the decision to take out the Long Toms; but it would have been interesting to see what sort of different results may have happened had it kept shooting at the SLDF on the map.

None. It's firepower is minor. It would've been decent if the Maxims got close. We likely would have diverted a turn of firepower on it in the coming turn as the Maxims were about to close to at least rip the Sniper gun off of it.

I would agree that counter-battery was clever, but only if it started turn 2; by the time he started to get shots on target, they stopped being useful.
Cyclops aside, I think we cleared 3 turrets with them, and forced them to try to re-mine the center when some early salvoes depleted the mines there.

Thank you Paul for helping out the SLDF people and make the game run a bit smoother.

Glad I could help. Note that our overall plan of attack wasn't mine, I just executed it. Likewise, I set primary and secondary targets each turn, but players largely did as they saw fit.
Also thanks for letting me 'discover' that store in Ellicot City, I had no idea it was there!

Great stuff, looking forward to the next one!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #797 on: 01 March 2020, 18:57:38 »
In defense of the Helepolis' counter-battery fire, it started as soon as it could (the enemy artillery rounds had to actually land before it could begin).  And it was going to switch to onboard fire as soon as the Maxim's came within 17 hexes (which was at least two turns away when the game was called).

Jester's assessment of the Black Knight finding another of the entrances was why I was targeting it as much as I was.  The entrance the Matar was in front of could have been held for the 5 turns necessary, as the Emperor was only very lightly damaged, and would have taken the Matar's place in short order (adding one more turn to Paul's calculus).  That plus the door being shut in the SLDF's face could have bought us that one extra turn for victory.

In the end, I conceded 60/40 odds in the SLDF's favor (due to Jester's reasoning), though I know Paul was far more certain than that.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #798 on: 01 March 2020, 19:21:36 »
Paul was far more certain than that.

I always am. Regardless of whether it's valid. ;)

Biggest thing is that it's too easy to DFA stuff. Only reason the first one failed is because we lacked a second Mech close enough. We were about to be able to DFA all your surviving Mechs each turn, while your ability to 1-turn-kill a Mech was already degrading to needing lucky shots.
Meanwhile, we were about to not need a BAP at all anymore. We'd be adjacent to every hex on hill with what's left.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #799 on: 01 March 2020, 19:39:02 »
True, but only one DFA per turn would actually matter.

And your certainty is one your more endearing qualities, really...  :D

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #800 on: 02 March 2020, 14:57:43 »
Sounds like an awesome game, sorry I couldn't make it. (But ScrumCon in Silver Spring was a lot of fun and may be worth placing a BT game at next year! It's growing rapidly.)

As an FYI about Gamers Corps - they've now added BattleTech to their regular weekly schedule of games. We should try to make sure it stays there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #801 on: 02 March 2020, 18:18:22 »
If only it wasn't so far away... the restaurant options close to it are AWESOME!  :thumbsup:

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #802 on: 02 March 2020, 20:17:46 »
Yeah, might be an easier trip for me and Aaron than it is for you guys...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #803 on: 02 March 2020, 20:22:51 »
As long as I can get a ride all the way up there, I'm definitely in for more Syrian lunch and sushi for dinner!  :thumbsup:

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #804 on: 02 March 2020, 21:31:32 »
Yeah, might be an easier trip for me and Aaron than it is for you guys...

EC is pretty close to six-of-one, half-dozen-of-another for me, compared to G&S. Maybe a little longer. Parking is always a bummer in downtown, IIRC. How was it this weekend?

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #805 on: 02 March 2020, 21:51:02 »
EC is pretty close to six-of-one, half-dozen-of-another for me, compared to G&S. Maybe a little longer. Parking is always a bummer in downtown, IIRC. How was it this weekend?

Not bad. But more people need to know about parking here:

https://goo.gl/maps/zaSRvDepwJwfc9K76

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #806 on: 02 March 2020, 22:04:01 »
Ian parked less than two blocks away from the store, but we got there over an hour early (Syrian café FTW!)...

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #807 on: 17 March 2020, 11:54:56 »
Was in columbia Maryland doing training for treating patients with Parkinsons disease, almost swung over to games and stuff, but then I didn't because pandemic. (Not the game pandemic...)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #808 on: 17 March 2020, 12:46:40 »
Was in columbia Maryland doing training for treating patients with Parkinsons disease, almost swung over to games and stuff, but then I didn't because pandemic. (Not the game pandemic...)

If you didn't see their FB post, G&S is doing retail only, no gaming or game room, like most stores currently.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #809 on: 25 May 2020, 13:53:53 »
Moving back to Maryland, Cumberland 21502 in specific. I'm willing to travel for a game once in a while and more than willing to host and run a campaign if people are interested.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns