Author Topic: How would you stat...The Arsenal Bird?  (Read 2280 times)

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
How would you stat...The Arsenal Bird?
« on: 13 November 2019, 13:59:31 »
Arsenal Bird, for those who don't know, is a boss-fight from the Ace Combat series, a Superweapon that looks like a dumb flying wing that can't muster a thrust factor of more than 3 with those huge electric props, until you realize that that wing is actually 37 hexes wide, and over 4 deep.  And it's got 80 slots for drone fighters, and is itself an AI controlled drone.  The more advanced model, Justice, mounted point defense pulse lasers and a giant ship-destroying laser(Capital weapon, or sub-capital?), while the older Liberty 'only' had a large batter of air-to-air missiles, bombardment missiles, and a microwave-powered force-field.  Both were capable of limited self-repair, as after damaging their engines, they would restart after some time.

So, swapping a blue-shield system for the forcefield, how would you model these behemoth aircraft in Battletech?  Their size alone means that a Mobile Structure is appropriate, but they're aircraft and are as big as mid-size Warships.  Would you force a piloting roll for every tiny hit on such a behemoth?  How far do the rules need to bend to fit in a giant who would barely fit on a normal sized mapsheet?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Hptm. Streiger

• Lieutenant
  • 3d artist, spread sheet warrior, KTF
Re: How would you stat...The Arsenal Bird?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2019, 06:21:54 »
why not simply use a hovering dropship?
otherwise - the clound nine had a squadron of 6 ASFs, so those might translate into 18 conventional fighters... but this still means no armor and no armament

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2019, 08:45:29 »
Hovering dropship is kinda the wrong movement profile for a giant flying wing, even if it can bank and swoop around inside a hex all day on the atmosphere charts.  I'm not sure if a lot of hovering dropships slide-slip at about 300 km/hr anyways.

Also 80>18, so Cloud Nine is a no-go, even if a hydrogen lifting cell was in any way comparable to a flying wing.  The lack of armor and armament also means that it would explode when sneezed at rather than being taken apart surgically.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2019, 11:13:49 »
There are rules for mobile structures although I don't remember if they can be airborne

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2019, 16:16:20 »
Given the Star League's reputation for mega-engineering, and it's liberal application of the Clarkson principle ("MOOOORRRREE POWERRRRR!"), I could see something like this. It's halfway between a dropships (aerodynamic, fusion powered, massive) and a mobile structure (bigger!), and magic WarShip armour provides the structural strength.

I'd probably not make it take control rols whenever it's hit; either apply thresholds, or a piloting role whenever armour on a hex is completely removed.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2019, 17:34:16 »

Definitely an Air Mobile Structure. TO p165
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2019, 20:15:27 »
Given the Star League's reputation for mega-engineering, and it's liberal application of the Clarkson principle ("MOOOORRRREE POWERRRRR!"), I could see something like this. It's halfway between a dropships (aerodynamic, fusion powered, massive) and a mobile structure (bigger!), and magic WarShip armour provides the structural strength.

I'd probably not make it take control rols whenever it's hit; either apply thresholds, or a piloting role whenever armour on a hex is completely removed.

I'd agree with you that it's defiantly something that fits the setting, but it's in an awkward position, partly by virtue of being very wide and very thin.  The damn props set it back again, you can't have a dropship with props, but it's sheer size (1100 meter wingspan) actually excludes it from the Mobile structure category.  And air mobile structures are huge zepplins with attitude, not flying wings, though that is a matter of fluff, but it does have a few problems other than that.  Oh, and the wings aren't quite straight, but also aren't at a sixty degree angle.  So you know, awkward shape for a hex-based game.

Definitely an Air Mobile Structure. TO p165
Well, not quite.  Those are explicitly fluffed as big gas bags propelled by fans, they don't rely primarily on aerodynamic forces to generate lift, and they're limited to a maximum of about 20 hexes as a Hardened Hanger type.  Which can't be armed or armored.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2019, 20:36:52 »
Well, not quite.  Those are explicitly fluffed as big gas bags propelled by fans, they don't rely primarily on aerodynamic forces to generate lift, and they're limited to a maximum of about 20 hexes as a Hardened Hanger type.  Which can't be armed or armored.
Zeppelins have a rigid structure so they can be shaped.

Where does it say that they can't be armed? (one doesn't have to build it with hangers)
« Last Edit: 14 November 2019, 20:55:31 by Maingunnery »
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2019, 21:20:31 »
Does it have to be military?  I could see it as a contractor RFP submission to the SLDF, with a response of "Not even close to what we were thinking...".  A few decades later, someone at DoME stumbles across the idea and with a little tinkering... an unarmed, unmanned drone carrier for autonomous aerial surveys on a massive scale on newly found worlds.  Plus a testbed for various non-military (wink wink nudge nudge) large scale airborne drone technologies.

Not buildable within rules, but like the Dagda mobile atolls it's scale and function means it's more narratively defined.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2019, 22:00:49 »
The Illegal quirk can cover a multitude of sins...

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2019, 23:37:51 »
I suppose it does...btw, Stonehenge: 8xH-N-Gauss or 8x Mass Drivers?  Neither has airburst shells, but I think they're closer to mass-drivers in scale-but they pivot and swing about so quickly, they could just be normal N-Gauss.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2019, 06:23:40 »
Definitely the Naval Gauss, I think...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2019, 23:36:00 »
given their scale and ability to fire well past orbit, i'd say heavy mass drivers. the turreted mounts being an advantage of a ground based facility. (i mean guns themselves are basically the size of a BT warship)