Author Topic: AK-47 Creator Died Today (12/23/13)  (Read 5089 times)

Adridos

• Sergeant
AK-47 Creator Died Today (12/23/13)
« on: 23 December 2013, 12:28:53 »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/rifle-designer-mikhail-kalashnikov-dead-94-21310543

No matter where you live, what you know about, and so on, you've probably heard of AK-47/Kalashnikov at least once. It's creator, a guy by the name of Mikhail Kalashnikov, passed away today at 94 (which is a really impressive age considering the average life expectancy in the Russian Federation), just a day before Christmas.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: AK-47 Creator Died Today (12/23/13)
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2013, 12:45:19 »
Amazing design he came up with. My dad is a gun collector, and I've been around the semi-auto AK since I was a kid.

Simplicity is its own beauty, as the saying goes, and the AK proves it. You can make them in a simple sheet metal shop if you know how. You can bury them in the Siberian tundra, dig it up weeks later and pop a magazine in, and that thing will fire. Desert sand, jungle muck, still works. And of course, that's born from lessons learned by the Soviets in the German invasion a few years prior to the design- make it simple, make it reliable, and make a whole bucket-load of them.

Kudos to Kalashnikov for one of histories' most recognizable and effective weapons, one that has literally changed the world.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2013, 12:49:13 »
Probably the last weapon designer who will be recognised by name alone, even by those with no interest in firearms for generations to come. And a world war 2 veteran as well.

I suspect a lot of people will be going to the range and firing off a few in his honour.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2013, 13:03:49 »
He may have been on the other side of the Iron Curtain, but he created a very memorable weapon that's infamous the world over. RIP Mr. Kalashnikov

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2013, 13:05:53 »
May he rest in piece.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2013, 13:41:43 »
Sad, he was interesting to listen to, and i'm not really a gun enthusiast so that should say something.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2013, 14:24:57 »
(a) Rest in peace. The man was a patriot of his nation.

(b) He didn't "invent" the AK-47. He based the technology on captured Sturmgewehr '44s. The AK-47 became more famous than the StG-44, but everything from the gas-operated bolt to the size of the cartridge owes its existence to the German progenitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2013, 14:43:10 »
(b) He didn't "invent" the AK-47. He based the technology on captured Sturmgewehr '44s. The AK-47 became more famous than the StG-44, but everything from the gas-operated bolt to the size of the cartridge owes its existence to the German progenitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44
This is debatable, but I feel such a debate is not for here. Rest in Peace Mr Kalashnikov, I will have to get some range time in your honor.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2013, 15:07:00 »
  IIRC the origin of the AK-47 was somewhat rocky and the Soviet police didn't react well when the weapon was unveiled. It seems that it was so well done that Kalashnikov was arrested. The police said that the weapon was so good that he would have need a forbidden arsenal just to design it.

The AK-47 has been used as a currency in Soweto and it appears in the flags of several nations. The man has an interesting history behind and his weapon is one of the items of the last half of the 20th century. RIP
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2013, 16:44:38 »

Even the Wiki article mentions that the AK-47 uses a completely different mechanism. Undoubtedly the AK-47 owes several design elements to captured Stg-44s - most notably the use of the short rifle round - but there's more than enough to highlight Mr K's design bureau's contribution.

RIP.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2013, 16:47:22 »
Requiescat in Pace, Misha.

(Did Mickhail Kalshnikov design the AK-47? Probably not. Not by himself, anyway. But no, the AK-47 is not a copy of the StG-44. The only things it shares are being gas operated (by two different systems), possessing stamped steel receivers (well, with the AKM), and an intermediate cartridge that shares the same bore and bullet diameters as the parent nations' battle rifle cartridges. The StG-44 has more in common with the FN FAL.

As to the charge that the 7.92x33 cartridge inspired the 7.62x39.5, there can be no doubt. But the Russians developed their cartridge in 1943, long before they had started developing either the SKS or AK-47/AKM.)
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2013, 19:46:37 »
Requiescat in Pace, Misha.

(Did Mickhail Kalshnikov design the AK-47? Probably not. Not by himself, anyway. But no, the AK-47 is not a copy of the StG-44. The only things it shares are being gas operated (by two different systems), possessing stamped steel receivers (well, with the AKM), and an intermediate cartridge that shares the same bore and bullet diameters as the parent nations' battle rifle cartridges. The StG-44 has more in common with the FN FAL.

As to the charge that the 7.92x33 cartridge inspired the 7.62x39.5, there can be no doubt. But the Russians developed their cartridge in 1943, long before they had started developing either the SKS or AK-47/AKM.)

Actually. The original AK-47 design had Stamped Steel as well IIRC. But Soviet Mass Production tooling couldn't produce Stamped Steel receivers in 1950 or so yet. So they redesigned it to Milled Steel.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2013, 21:42:42 »
I...didn't even realize the guy was still around.  Rest well, you've lived a long eventful life.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2013, 21:47:04 »
I have an AK-74 and an AK-103---love 'em. I had a chance to buy a commemorative AK-74 autographed by Kalashnikov---I passed due to the price. I'm sorta regretting that now.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2013, 01:02:48 »
He changed warfare, with a design.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2013, 01:24:24 »

Uniquely iconic; I see no coke bottle, or VW Beetle or Microsoft logo on any nations flag.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 24 December 2013, 01:36:53 »
I am taking my Maadi out for a salute shoot tomorrow.  Would not be surprised if it is the largest collection of CA legal AKs ever assembled.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 24 December 2013, 09:07:28 »
In his later years, he expressed regret over how it was used.  He originally designed it for the defense of the Soviet Union.  Toward the end of his life, he lamented how ubiquitous it had become among organized crime and how widely it was used in third-world civil wars and conflicts.

RebelRunner

• Warrant Officer
  • RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!!
« Reply #18 on: 24 December 2013, 09:15:54 »
Rest in Peace, Mr. Kalashnikov.

Some used his weapons for evil, and some to protect the innocent. Let history remember the latter.
*God Bless Regulus.
*A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
* "Want someone out of a building for sure? Fire a magnesium parachute flare through the window. He’ll leave."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #19 on: 24 December 2013, 11:39:19 »

His legacy will likely be enduring as it has deeply entrenched itself in global culture (even in BT).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #20 on: 24 December 2013, 14:28:18 »
Preemptive reminder to watch the political line, etc etc, blah blah blah.

Y'all are doing fine so far.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Josva Valdreki

• Master Sergeant
  • ...With blackjack. And hookers. In fact....
« Reply #21 on: 24 December 2013, 15:25:12 »
Actually. The original AK-47 design had Stamped Steel as well IIRC. But Soviet Mass Production tooling couldn't produce Stamped Steel receivers in 1950 or so yet. So they redesigned it to Milled Steel.

Yup, the original AK-47 (Type I, IIRC) was stamped. And then the Types 2 and -3 were milled. And Type 4, aka the AKM - after the Soviets mastered steel stamping for rifles - was back to stamped.
Úlfhéðnar Free Company
Clan Free Ghost Rasalhague Bear Dominion Republic

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 24 December 2013, 15:32:27 »
Rest in Peace Mr. Kalashnikov.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 24 December 2013, 15:35:48 »
On a lighter note, Duffel Blog had this to say: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/mikhail-kalashnikov-dead/

It's about as irreverent as you'd expect from such a site, but in its own way is a fitting tribute.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #24 on: 24 December 2013, 22:47:37 »
On a lighter note, Duffel Blog had this to say: http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/mikhail-kalashnikov-dead/

It's about as irreverent as you'd expect from such a site, but in its own way is a fitting tribute.

Made me laugh out loud.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #25 on: 24 December 2013, 23:01:32 »
Hard to say anything that doesn't push it, but I heard an interview with this man on NPR yesterday morning.  it was just a few questions answered and was only a couple of minutes, but he expressed both pride for his work, and yet also a lament for the human condition.  RIP
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #26 on: 24 December 2013, 23:18:08 »
Hard to say anything that doesn't push it, but I heard an interview with this man on NPR yesterday morning.  it was just a few questions answered and was only a couple of minutes, but he expressed both pride for his work, and yet also a lament for the human condition.  RIP

Im with you rebs.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 28 December 2013, 06:44:20 »
yeah, I'm gonna go burn some off. RIP Mikhail kalashnikov.  Simplicity has its own beauty. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 28 December 2013, 06:47:38 »
He said the question he hated most was whether he felt sorry about the hundreds of thousands of people that were killed as a result of his invention. He had a standard answer:

"I've designed my weapon to defend the borders of our Fatherland, and let it continue to serve this purpose.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

Adridos

• Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 28 December 2013, 09:17:19 »
"I've designed my weapon to defend the borders of our Fatherland, and let it continue to serve this purpose.

Don't you mean Motherland?

Fatherland was used by the WW2 Germans to describe, well, Germany. Russians usually refer to their piece of land in feminine form.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #30 on: 28 December 2013, 10:51:33 »
Nope, he said what he said.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #31 on: 28 December 2013, 14:33:50 »
Indeed he did.  That was why I said what I did, kept it simple.  Glad you all found the interview, I was hoping more had heard it or would find it. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #32 on: 29 December 2013, 02:26:19 »
Don't you mean Motherland?

Fatherland was used by the WW2 Germans to describe, well, Germany. Russians usually refer to their piece of land in feminine form.

There was never any widespread usage of that term by the Germans. Not any more or less than the surrounding nations. "Fatherland" just implies the country was the home of several generations from your family.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops