Author Topic: Idea for a business: Bar and wargamming venue?  (Read 4335 times)

abou

• Captain
Idea for a business: Bar and wargamming venue?
« on: 07 January 2016, 20:02:34 »
This has been an idea I've been thinking about for about a year now. The main driver is that there is no longer a good place to play games in my area with terrain, which would always be a venue where the community could gather. Essentially, it would be a storefront where there would be gaming tables, terrain, and beer. The main bonus is that there would be no merchandise to sell, which means my only overhead is beer and the fixed costs of running a business.

My thought was a cover per day to play as long as you want. In between rounds or games, you can have a round of beer and snacks. Ideally it would all be on draught. No drinking at the tables, of course.

Pros:
1. The majority of the gaming community seems to be older, tastes have changed, and they like to drink beer.
2. No merchandise means competition with other hobby stores is nonexistent.
3. Fills a niche -- or rather creates a niche -- as no one else in my area has done something similar.
4. Low fixed costs.

Cons:
1. May be difficult to find the right location.
2. Paperwork.
3. Overestimating potential enthusiasm.
4. Underestimating potential costs.

As I've said, it's just something I have been thinking about. I would be curious as to the community's opinions or whether anyone has seen something similar. It may never happen, but it would be nice.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Idea for a business: Bar and wargamming venue?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2016, 20:06:30 »
One of the game stores in my area has a liquor license and uses the vast majority of its floorspace for gaming tales.  It's working out pretty well for the owner thus far.  (He doesn't use a cover as he still has a small area of the building set aside as a store... be he does let us take our drinks to the tables!)
« Last Edit: 07 January 2016, 20:12:05 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2016, 21:05:28 »
Okay, just in case you don't know anything about running a business - everything is going to take allot more work than you think, everything is going to cost more than you think, take longer than you think and unless you're already wealthy, tie you down to the management and operation of the business as long as it is a going concern meaning long days, no vacations and allot more stress. If you're fine with all that, then welcome to small business. :D

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2016, 21:10:13 »
And it being a bar mean you have to prohibit those younger than 21. Might be problematic if you want new blood to the gaming community.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2016, 21:12:22 »
I wouldn't want drinking at the table mainly because of worries about spills. The risk just seems to be too high.

In regards to running a small business, I am a veterinarian and run my own clinic. I guess since I have a source of primary income, this would really be a vanity project and I would have worker drones do all the work for me. I should have mentioned that in my original post.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2016, 21:37:13 »
Something that's *highly* popular where I'm at is board game bars. Not quite what you're talking about, but they're incredibly accessible to the general public.

Maybe there'd be a way to combine what appears to be a proven concept (I know of four in my general region, and they're all always packed, sometimes with line-ups) with your wargaming idea? Attract both casual customers and serious wargamers at the same time?
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2016, 23:47:42 »
And it being a bar mean you have to prohibit those younger than 21. Might be problematic if you want new blood to the gaming community.

That's a big one. At the very least, you're cutting out an ENORMOUS bit of revenue in terms of game sales and other merchandise due to this. Yes, you make money on alcohol sales, but take the beers and such you sell and weigh it against how much you lose from not having gamers under the drinking age allowed in. At the least, keep the sales area of the store booze-free, but that's something to seriously consider- I suspect it's one of the key reasons places like this aren't common.

Another consideration- and I speak about this as a former bartender- is that booze can be a problem for some people. A lot of people handle alcohol by being cheerful, drinking responsibly, etc... and some do, ah, not that. Are you ready for people who have too much and stumble onto a table full of miniatures, breaking them? Booze-fueled rules lawyer fights? Security to remove problems? This isn't anything to take lightly- after watching football fans fight over something happening on a screen that they have no control over, having gamers fight over rules and such is potentially a huge problem.

I love the idea though, and I really wish there was something like that near me.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2016, 00:35:46 »
Don't some states allow someone under 21 in bars as long as they have a wristband/stamp showing they can't drink?
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2016, 00:52:55 »
Don't some states allow someone under 21 in bars as long as they have a wristband/stamp showing they can't drink?

And very, very stiff penalties if those people are caught with alcohol in there. My bar used to get hit with stings every so often- people paid by the police to come in and order drinks to see if they got carded or not, to see if they could spot people under 21 drinking (served by the bartender/wait staff or just enjoying the drinks of someone over 21 at the table, either way)... didn't get caught myself, because I didn't like the idea of going to jail, but they did fire a bartender on the spot for it on one of my nights off- some girl was caught sneaking her boyfriends' drink, and the bar was responsible for it legally.

Now make it a game store, and you can imagine the double-whammy of not only having the whole minors-being-served issue combined with the very business of selling games to people of all ages...

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2016, 00:55:15 »
also think about having a "Wet" and a "Dry" area.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2016, 01:07:33 »
The gaming store that I normally play at put in a 21 and over section last year where you can buy drinks.  Most of our Battletech games get run there, since there's typically less noise and competition for space.  I don't know about trying to make money off of a bar with gaming space, though.  Though I do know of a bar that's also a video arcade.  It opens in the afternoon and doesn't serve alcohol until around 8pm, at which point minors are no longer permitted inside.

I would recommend seeing if there are any Small Business Development Centers in your area.  They're really good at helping you figure out all the licensing you'd need and what your income and expenses are likely to be.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2016, 01:09:24 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2016, 01:54:24 »
they've actually got one of those in Everett, Wa. called the AFK lounge-it's fairly popular and likely profitable.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2016, 01:56:44 »
The store I was talking about in my area was definitely not a bar that happens to provide gaming tables.  It's a gaming store that happens to sell booze.  They're not necessarily the same thing at all.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2016, 02:24:52 »
Not quite the same thing but I started, in partnership with knowledgeable and motivated others (trust me, those are very, very important) a games store that mostly does board games, that also serves coffee. We have a games library and charge a flat fee for the full day, we also have a table fee for playing your own games which attracts a few RPGs. We've been told by people many times, mostly tourists, that there are bars that do board games, usually the traditional ones like Monopoly, Scrabble and Risk, but between the two I think you can take it that as a business model it's an idea that can work.

That being said the year has been extremely challenging, both in terms of growing the business, simply keeping our heads above water and minor trials and disasters that you just never see coming, or with hindsight realise they're pretty obvious. And don't get me started on some of the people issues.

While the games library is proving popular (it's good for play before you buy which has helped us out several times) it's slow going, but we do have some regular gaming groups coming in, and they do buy refreshments.

On the plus side it sounds like you've identified a need, or an opportunity, making plans and asking for advice. Those last two are important, take your time with them, and don't ever stop. Even in the last year I've gotten advice from knowledgeable people that have helped make a difference.

Keep in mind that regardless it will be stressful, will eat into your time, you'll never have enough money, especially in the beginning and there will always be costs, monetary and otherwise, with everything you do, and a few things you don't.

Sorry if this has turned into a bit of a rant, or TL;DR.

That's the challenge of owning and operating a business though, there's never a dull moment. Dammit.

E6010Roots

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2016, 14:12:21 »
I have though of a scheme like this before, but always framed it as a private/social club kind of approach. Maybe have a small storefront to bring people in and the club area through the back. People have to be a member to enter and drink and maybe run it as an open space on certain days for minors.
NDT inspector by day, mechwarrior by night

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2016, 14:31:22 »
Making it some sort of exclusive club with a membership requirement is pretty much guaranteeing that it it will fail.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2016, 14:41:18 »
Making it some sort of exclusive club with a membership requirement is pretty much guaranteeing that it it will fail.

Pretty much. Would you go to a game store where you had to pay a membership fee to be able to use the tables? I know I wouldn't (and it's come up before). What about a bar that did that? Nah, no thanks- there's a thousand other places for me to get a drink where I don't have to pay a fee just to have the option to drink there.

So... just because we're combining the two doesn't mean that makes that idea any more appealing.

+Crow T. Robot+

abou

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2016, 14:49:50 »
Thanks for all the replies, guys. It's given me a lot to think about.

As first brought up by Hobbes, the bar does eliminate -- or at least act as a barrier to -- potential new blood. However, one of the problems I foresee is that the space for four, five, or even six terrain tables means a lot of square footage; which translates to a high cost in rent. Booze seems to be a good way to offset those costs compared to having a bunch of merchandise on the shelves. BattleTech is my love, but from a business standpoint I know I cannot have a lot of minis and books in inventory because it is not that popular.

One thing I did not consider was making it a more generalized venue. It is supposed to be a new golden age of board games. That could bring in a much bigger crowd and the terrain tables may be more of a guilty pleasure. Then it's just a matter of attracting the right people and the right crowd.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2016, 14:51:52 »

Please localize the OP before saying stuff like this which is incorrect in certain areas.  Frex.  In much of the Midwest US, it's ok for minors to be present where alcohol is served as long as they are not drinking.   In other places/areas, it's legal to have beer and/or wine at "all ages" pizza or Italian restaurants.

To the OP, if you consider also carrying a limited selection of gaming merchandise priced with a "convenience store" markup, you essentially be replicating the new model of games store that has evolved to deal with the age of online retail. 

-Jackmc
« Last Edit: 08 January 2016, 15:11:05 by Jackmc »

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2016, 14:56:26 »
Booze may be more of a hindrance. Here in Toronto I could probably do okay if I sold lattes and bubble tea (plus some light snacks) for some people who wanted to play. In fact, some bubble tea places have boardgames already. Really does depend on your area.

Snakes and Lattes here does the same thing, though of course not for wargames.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2016, 18:55:15 »

It likely works the other way around.  You have to show ID to get the wristband/stamp.  If you lose the wristband, you have to get ID's all over again.  Add in a small fee (recouped when buying your first drink) to help make sure people don't lose their wristband.

Otherwise, you'd have someone under 21 who gets the wristband, then cuts it off to go drinking.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 08 January 2016, 19:30:45 »
Check your local/State licensing laws, it may be cheaper and easier to open as a "Club", get adjoining tenancies, nominate one as the "Club House" (where there is Booze & Tables) and the other as a "Club Venue" (where there are Tables and everything else), charge a $1 "Life Membership" put out a Guest sign in book, you can even rent the Clubhouse and Venue out for Guild events and such, don't let unaccompanied minors in to the Club House in your licensed hours or Booze out of the Clubhouse.

Heck for extra cash you may even be able to get a Gaming License for the Clubhouse and put in Keno, Pokies and a Betting Shop.

E6010Roots

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2016, 20:20:32 »
Drop bear articulated my idea a fair bit better than myself, its not like charge people $500 dollars a year to game. More of a shell corp sorta deal to isolate your interests. And I imagine if its a club and not a buisness you can serve alcohol in a more relaxed manner. Kinda like a motorcycle club house, or the Dave attell's Insominac type establishments that gave me the idea lol
NDT inspector by day, mechwarrior by night

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 08 January 2016, 21:21:39 »
I don't know if they do it in other parts of the world but down hear Community Sports clubs can get licensed to serve Alcohol and even get Gaming Licenses to let them have Porkies (Slots), Keno, Sports/OT  betting. (your Kids Little league and your adult sand lot, majority funded by the local Drunks and Degenerate Gamblers).

It's usually cheaper to be a licensed Club than say a Pub, Bar or Night-Club or a Fully Licensed Restaurant.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 08 January 2016, 22:24:21 »
I would strongly recommend against putting in any sort of gambling unless you really want to create a bar with gaming as a side attraction.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 08 January 2016, 22:27:36 »
I'm currently living in Joliet, IL. It's one of those towns that has gorgeous architecture in an empty downtown. Part of the problem is how the city is managed. I want to be careful about not stepping into discussions of politics, but I feel it is unavoidable here. When it comes to Joliet, many things are talked about and planned, but rarely seem to come to fruition. As a result, more businesses seem to start in neighboring Plainfield or further north in Naperville. Naturally, something close to me is preferred.

If the local and states regulations could be navigated, it is possible I could get a good location for a decent price. Downtown Joliet does have a pinball arcade that somehow survives -- so why not my concept?

Coffee, beer, and board games. Ha! We could even serve PPCs.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 08 January 2016, 22:56:57 »
Isn't serving PPCs counterproductive from the standpoint of keeping your customers awake and able to play Battletech?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 08 January 2016, 23:29:44 »
Like being back in college: no better way to end the night than with carbombs.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 08 January 2016, 23:46:21 »
I would strongly recommend against putting in any sort of gambling unless you really want to create a bar with gaming as a side attraction.

I was pointing it out as an option we have for Community Clubs, also as a Club you can put up advertising around your Venue/Field and Club House without as much cost regulation and oversight from the authorities than than if you ran it as a business.

But (at least by the Laws in my parts) if you run it as a Club you have to have a Board elected by your full members (your $1 memberships can be classified as Social Memberships so don't get a Vote).

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 09 January 2016, 09:40:50 »
Why not a coffee/cafe idea instead?  A local game store for me is opening up a coffee bar in an adjoining area.  I think that might have a broader appeal.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: 09 January 2016, 09:45:27 »
It is certainly something to consider. For a while I was discussing with my neighbor about opening a coffee shop, but the details make for a tighter business. Coffee shops need to make something like 2 and 1/2 sales person to stay profitable.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 09 January 2016, 11:36:02 »
Gamers + caffeine + sugar generally equals profit, right? ::)

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #32 on: 09 January 2016, 17:21:46 »
I'm currently living in Joliet, IL. It's one of those towns that has gorgeous architecture in an empty downtown.

Couple of issues to research:

1.  Old abandoned downtown areas can fairly easily get gentrification grants to revive them.  Check and see what the status for an gentrification/renewal programs for any area you are considering renting in.  Few things suck worse than busting your hump to make a business work and then have gentrification sweep through and the landlord raise your rent past the point of viability.

2.   In the US, the term energy efficient older structure is usually oxymoronic.  If you can, have the real estate agent furnish copies of the utility bills for the space you are looking at.  Where I used to live, old medium-sized grocery store spaces were available for what you'd pay for rent on a modern 600 sf retail space and the reason that was because it cost thousands of dollars a month for climate control in a space that large that has no appreciable insulation and plenty of large single pane display windows to let heat in during the summer and out during the winter.

-Jackmc

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #33 on: 09 January 2016, 19:58:26 »
I've seen a couple attempts but gamers don't always spend money at the game store. So money might not come in like it should
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

abou

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 02 April 2016, 18:48:07 »
So this might be actually happening.

A bit more background: I live in Joliet, IL within the historical Cathedral area. My neighbor and I are pitching our board game cafe to the Cathedral Area Preservation Association (CAPA) on Monday to get a feel for what they want. We both want the cafe within walking distance of us and within the Cathedral area. Sometime in the 1970s a lot of the old Victorian and other large homes were being broken down into multi-family rentals. CAPA formed to stop that and preserve the area. So the good news is that if I can convince them, what they say usually goes as far as the city is concerned.

Problems include finding the right building. Ideally a commercial building, but a residential can work as well -- as long as we get the zoning variance. Another issue would be parking and whether someone in the area would not be okay with a (hopefully) busy business next to them.

But those whom we have talked to generally feel positive about it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #35 on: 03 April 2016, 08:50:55 »
A board game cafe, that's great idea. A mix of mainstream board games and indies ones? ;)
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 03 April 2016, 09:37:29 »
That's the plan! A fair amount of Catalyst's casual offering would definitely have a space on the shelf.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 03 April 2016, 10:24:50 »
I don't drink beer myself, but from my friends that do the alcohol-free ones taste good nowadays. How about a bar with only non-alcoholic drinks?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 03 April 2016, 11:41:45 »
That's where we are going as of right now. If we get approval, we hope to include bakeries and coffee roasters from around the region.

Beer might be in the future, but probably in bottles rather than on draught.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #39 on: 03 April 2016, 23:58:34 »
Personally, I think a coffee/tea bar, to start with, is a safer bet. You sidestep a lot of headaches you don't need to start out. Down the road, you could look into a liquor licence, and maybe sell it during limited hours --- say 9pm to close on school nights (Especially if there's some sort of rule that all school-age kids can't be in the store after 9pm)

Craig
(Don't mind me, I throw ideas out all the time -- sometimes, they even work!)
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #40 on: 04 April 2016, 03:38:08 »
I think it would be nice to go to a bar where Wargamming and general gaming stuff is going on.
A nice place for the geeks to hang out and enjoy with other geeks.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

abou

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 06 April 2016, 07:42:21 »
The good news is that the meeting in front of the CAPA board went very well. Everyone seemed good with the decision with several members exclaiming excitement about it.

The only problem now is finding a location. That will be trickier than I would like to admit.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #42 on: 06 April 2016, 11:37:33 »
The good news is that the meeting in front of the CAPA board went very well. Everyone seemed good with the decision with several members exclaiming excitement about it.

The only problem now is finding a location. That will be trickier than I would like to admit.
It also mean scoping the location for several days or so to see how the traffic's like. As in people, not cars ;p . Being close to a bus or other transportation stop is also a benefit.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #43 on: 06 April 2016, 14:39:55 »
I think that besides your marketing analysis of the area, I recommend contacting people to find out what you're in for.

They've already been mentioned, but do talk to these guys: http://www.afktavern.com/

They're a different focus than what you're going for (they're a restaurant with board games and video game consoles), but I believe they have a liquor license. Getting a feel for what a geek and gaming clientele needs and wants will make them worth talking to. Maybe you need to go more upscale or less upscale than AFK. Maybe the layout needs to be very different because you're not focused as a restaurant. Get input from them anyhow and come to your own conclusions.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #44 on: 06 April 2016, 16:22:35 »
If I may add a few thoughts of my own, as a veteran of both game stores and bars:

> Non-alcoholic is almost certainly the way to start. Illinois liquor laws are an absolute nightmare, and the business insurance for bars is likewise insane. You might be able to swing a "BYOB" license without drastically increasing your overhead, but...
> If there is alcohol, you will have problems with customers. You may be picturing a bunch of good-natured gamers having a couple of adult beverages as they play, and that's true for most cases, but you will have the occasional person who imbibes too much. Be prepared to handle belligerence or sickness. In other words, hire bouncers. They can clean and stock when there's not any problems, they can check IDs to save time at the counter, but mostly they're your eyes on the ground.
> Don't collect up a bunch of rare games and put them out for play. Pieces (and entire games) will get lost or stolen. Keep extra copies on-hand for spare parts, or concentrate on games that use generic pieces. You can get "meeples" wholesale for pennies each. If you're looking into BattleTech, track down a few copies of older editions with the cardboard stand-ups.
> Similarly, if you do decide to have nice miniatures on display, make sure the cases are locked. Gamers can be just awful.
> Get a good photocopier (preferably one that can also act as a printer) and keep it in good condition, with plenty of paper. Make sure your staff know how to operate, refill, and do basic repairs (clear paper jams, mostly) on it. Don't be stingy, either: it's overhead. Just make sure customers know that printing a few record sheets for a game is fine, but it's not there to print entire books.
> Don't just advertise to the "norms." Reach out to different gaming communities and invite them in. You're already doing this with the BattleTech folks. Do the same with those who play Pathfinder, the FFG games, Steve Jackson Games, TSR/Hasbro, etc. Most of these companies have demo teams and game finders, so invite them in. Hook up the agents while they're working; after all, if they're happy and relaxed, they're going to be better with your customers, which is good for both of you.
> Don't try to be a full game store, but do offer minor items for sale. I highly recommend stocking dice, at least basic Chessex bundles, and superglue. Pencils can be sold or given away as advertisement (and for the love of Cat, provide pencil sharpeners - something a lot of places forget).

Most of all:

> Do NOT suffer bad customers. This is endemic in the hobby shop industry. You want a wide variety of people in your business, and to do so you want to present the hobby as viable for the mainstream. The most common, specific complaint about hobby shops from the mainstream is that someone in the store made them uncomfortable. Much as we hate to admit it, we all know who they're talking about. Sometimes it's even a friend of ours. Don't let them scuttle your business. If they're a friend, make clear that you're running a business and that it's not somewhere they can hang out all day. If they're not a friend, get them out the door. You want to stand above the "average" gamer joint. One place I worked at even had staff meetings where we'd discuss regular customers, going so far as to review security camera footage to see if they were bothering "walk-in" customers.

These are just my thoughts from an employee level, so feel free to take or leave them (except the bad customer bit, seriously, you don't want those guys around). I'm in Chicago, so I'd really like to see you guys succeed. Best of luck!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 08 April 2016, 02:51:09 »
That's a big one. At the very least, you're cutting out an ENORMOUS bit of revenue in terms of game sales and other merchandise due to this. Yes, you make money on alcohol sales, but take the beers and such you sell and weigh it against how much you lose from not having gamers under the drinking age allowed in. At the least, keep the sales area of the store booze-free, but that's something to seriously consider- I suspect it's one of the key reasons places like this aren't common.

Another consideration- and I speak about this as a former bartender- is that booze can be a problem for some people. A lot of people handle alcohol by being cheerful, drinking responsibly, etc... and some do, ah, not that. Are you ready for people who have too much and stumble onto a table full of miniatures, breaking them? Booze-fueled rules lawyer fights? Security to remove problems? This isn't anything to take lightly- after watching football fans fight over something happening on a screen that they have no control over, having gamers fight over rules and such is potentially a huge problem.

I love the idea though, and I really wish there was something like that near me.

As someone that has had an individual swing at me during a game of Alphastrike back in November because the person was a bag full of mental issues and snapped over nothing, I would suggest that you consider the cost of security. I also remember seeing at another game shop, years ago, 40k players screaming and throwing books at each other. I would like to remind you that "older" does not equal "mature".

I do not know what it is like in your area, but it seems that out here in California that most shops close early, 8-9pm on the weekends. They may close at those hours but many times there are few people in the shops past 6pm. While I wouldn't mind a public gaming place that was open later then that I am left to wonder just how likely others would. I also don't care to drink to early.

It sounds like it would be a fun place, but it would require the right customers, the right amount of security, and the right hours of operation. If it is a pet project then I suppose if you just break even then you wouldn't need to worry about turning a profit. Unfortunately, this reminds me of the Gamewerks theory, which was supposed to be what a bunch of gamers would make as their version of a night club/bar. Sadly the theory gave way to making it an over priced chuck e cheese without the pizza and zero rotation of games, and lacking upkeep of what they still have that is always damaged by the kids running loose.

If this ever opens send me a PM and if I am for some reason out there, where ever it may be, I'd deffinitely drop by. O0

Register