Author Topic: NHL 2018-2019, rebuild, retools, and retreads, oh my!  (Read 37730 times)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: NHL 2018-2019, rebuild, retools, and retreads, oh my!
« Reply #240 on: 10 May 2019, 22:28:31 »
A night without hockey.  :'(

Harbinger of things to come.

The only thing I dislike about summer. From about mid June to the beginning of August when NFL preseason begins there are no watchable sports.
I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #241 on: 10 May 2019, 22:46:02 »

It's the calm before the playoff storm right now.  Let's appreciate it before the baseball void sets in.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #242 on: 12 May 2019, 16:13:45 »
If Carolina keeps taking stupid penalties, this series is over. Boston is living in their heads, and the puck is in the back of their net repeatedly as a result.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #243 on: 12 May 2019, 16:43:25 »
Carolina hasn't exactly come roaring back, but its a start.  They need a few more now and only have a few seconds to do it.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2019, 20:36:32 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #244 on: 12 May 2019, 20:24:17 »

The only thing I dislike about summer. From about mid June to the beginning of August when NFL preseason begins there are no watchable sports.

i don't post in this thread normally because my hockey knowledge is roughly 50% of a canadian newborn. also the nhl playoffs have been fun as hell this year

i would normally meekly defend baseball but analytics has turned into a completely unwatchable homerun or strikeout mess (i had a powerplay-esque idea where you lose fielders then next half-inning per strikeout but that's for another time... keep the nerds away from hockey). I think non-football sports could do with shrinking seasons to around 50-60 games - i guess i won't speak for hockey, but the best NBA regular season was the year the owners locked out the players until christmas and it was a fifty-some game sprint for the playoffs. even if baseball had an 82 game season like the NHL and NBA, they'd be hitting the halfway point about now and there would be a lot more urgency. It's impossible to get hyped about game 45 of 162 when it's going to take 3.5 hour sand there are regularly twelve minute intervals where the ball doesn't get put in play.

Kudos to hockey for having possibly the best pacing of major sports.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #245 on: 12 May 2019, 23:53:37 »
i don't post in this thread normally because my hockey knowledge is roughly 50% of a canadian newborn. also the nhl playoffs have been fun as hell this year
The best thing for fans is that several 'underdogs' won in the first round which has a solid payoff.  You don't know what you will get in the round(s) to follow.

i would normally meekly defend baseball but analytics has turned into a completely unwatchable home run or strikeout mess (i had a powerplay-esque idea where you lose fielders then next half-inning per strikeout but that's for another time... keep the nerds away from hockey).

I think non-football sports could do with shrinking seasons to around 50-60 games - i guess i won't speak for hockey, but the best NBA regular season was the year the owners locked out the players until christmas and it was a fifty-some game sprint for the playoffs. even if baseball had an 82 game season like the NHL and NBA, they'd be hitting the halfway point about now and there would be a lot more urgency. It's impossible to get hyped about game 45 of 162 when it's going to take 3.5 hour sand there are regularly twelve minute intervals where the ball doesn't get put in play.

Kudos to hockey for having possibly the best pacing of major sports.
The growth or decline of sports in the U.S. have a few common factors:

1) cost- which can be defined in both monetary amounts and time played, practicing, or traveling to and from games.
2) accessibility
3) exposure

Baseball equipment costs are quite high, start up or otherwise.  While there are several areas where I live that have a diamond and are used frequently, the same can't be said elsewhere especially larger cities, where major league teams play.  Equipment costs can add up for other sports, but football of any variety can be played on the same field and basketball is easily available in many places.  Pick up games are also easier to wrangle.  Antiquated blackout rules are just beginning to finally flounder with MLB, but they are still behind on issue that tie into who can use highlights and that too works against them.

The most exciting team I've seen in the last 30 years (limited to TV no less) was the Kansas City Royals 2014 and 2015.  They didn't have all that much power and they were fast on the bases and tracking to the ball.  Their style of play was the best for TV, but that's still not exciting to folks.

Finally, to put a bow on all of that, most field managers or GMs aren't all that different and aren't terribly progressive.  That all leads to a bland game 80% of the time that you watch on TV.  Watching the game in person though is a completely different experience.  The same can be said, IMO, for soccer from what I have been told.

As for the other leagues the schedules aren't going to change because of revenues, especially the NHL.  The NHL, unlike other sports, is a gate driven league.  The tickets sold and concessions are where the majority of team's money comes from.  Football, baseball, and basketball revunue's most significant revenue comes from TV.  Football and baseball both have an issue to one degree or another with falling gates totals.  While part of that ties into many teams simply being noncompetitive by the end of the first couple months, interest is also waning for various reasons.  Baseball isn't going to rollback the number of games played, it's cash they'd lose out on.  Hockey won't roll back the number of games played simply because it can't afford to.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #246 on: 15 May 2019, 08:57:59 »
Carolina played a fantastic first period last night. 20 shots on goal in one period? Four power plays (including nearly a minute of 5-on-3)? Absolutely dominant play in all three zones of the ice. And it didn't matter, because Boston's goaltender doesn't care.

I think we saw the best effort the Canes can put on last night, and it still resulted in a 2-1 loss- and I can't think of any reason they'll turn things around as a result in Game 4. If their best effort resulted in another loss, what do they have left for tricks to pull? What can they change in Game 4 that hasn't worked in the first three games? Short of trying to get Tuukka Rask to smell some ether-soaked rags so they can stuff him in a closet somewhere for a few hours, this series is over. Change 'Brass Bonanza' to 'Sad Trombone'.

And if that's the case, may the hockey gods help whomever comes out of the West and has to figure out the answer that has evaded Toronto, Columbus, and now Carolina... how the hell do you reliably find a way to beat Rask?

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #247 on: 15 May 2019, 16:40:41 »
Tuka Rask for the Conn Smythe.  I know I called it for him to win once before, years ago.  He deserved it then, he deserves it now.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #248 on: 15 May 2019, 20:48:47 »
Rask has been really special and the team are doing great scoring from all over the ice and doing what they've done for most of the season keeping the let in goals to a minimum
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #249 on: 16 May 2019, 18:55:35 »
If the Sharks benefit from any more bad officiating in these playoffs, we're just going to have to start calling them hockey's New England Patriots! 
I have spoken.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #250 on: 16 May 2019, 19:38:06 »
That’s unfair to the sharks and football refs. we all know the patriots derive their success from bill’s demonic pact with a devil he found in an 8th century manuscript

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #251 on: 16 May 2019, 19:54:21 »
That’s unfair to the sharks and football refs. we all know the patriots derive their success from bill’s demonic pact with a devil he found in an 8th century manuscript

Look what it did for the Templars.   >:D

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #252 on: 16 May 2019, 20:02:49 »

;D Good one!  ;D

I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #253 on: 16 May 2019, 21:51:20 »
Great game for Boston.  That top line earned their keep for sure tonight.  And I'm amused that Rask didn't fall asleep!

It was also nice to hear Carolina's crowd chanting for them even after the game clock ran out. 

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #254 on: 16 May 2019, 22:49:41 »
Great game for Boston.  That top line earned their keep for sure tonight.  And I'm amused that Rask didn't fall asleep!

It was also nice to hear Carolina's crowd chanting for them even after the game clock ran out.

Actually, this doesn't bode well for the Bruins.  How so?

First the Isles swept the Pens.
Then the 'Canes swept the Isles.
Then the Canes were swept in turn by the Bruins.

So if the pattern continues, the Bruins will be swept in the final by either St. Louis or San Jose.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #255 on: 17 May 2019, 08:55:08 »
Am I satisfied?

Why, yes. Yes I am.  :thumbsup:

Normally I don't like sweeps, because you end up sitting around for so long waiting for the next round, but in this case, with Chara hurt and others a little worn down, that extra rest is looking pretty good right now.

That said, I'm more surprised by Carolina than anything. Iin an elimination game, where they needed to put pressure on, they managed four shots in the second period, and seven in the third- the parts of the game where they were trailing. I'm not sure what that was about- they hammered shots on in the first period (same as last game, actually), then just like Game 3 they abandoned that pressure as soon as they weren't tied anymore. Once is a weird quirk, but two games in a row of that almost feels like it was coached that way, for some inexplicable reason. That team is too good, and came too far, to give up so easily- I'm very confused by it.

+Crow T. Robot+

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #256 on: 17 May 2019, 18:15:34 »
Am I satisfied?

Why, yes. Yes I am.  :thumbsup:

Normally I don't like sweeps, because you end up sitting around for so long waiting for the next round, but in this case, with Chara hurt and others a little worn down, that extra rest is looking pretty good right now.

That said, I'm more surprised by Carolina than anything. Iin an elimination game, where they needed to put pressure on, they managed four shots in the second period, and seven in the third- the parts of the game where they were trailing. I'm not sure what that was about- they hammered shots on in the first period (same as last game, actually), then just like Game 3 they abandoned that pressure as soon as they weren't tied anymore. Once is a weird quirk, but two games in a row of that almost feels like it was coached that way, for some inexplicable reason. That team is too good, and came too far, to give up so easily- I'm very confused by it.

Probably helped that Boston's d and forwards were all over them all over the ice at times it felt like the centre was also Boston's zone the fore check was great
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #257 on: 17 May 2019, 22:43:41 »
Probably helped that Boston's d and forwards were all over them all over the ice at times it felt like the centre was also Boston's zone the fore check was great

Yep, and the old adage "defense wins championships" comes to mind.  Boston is playing a team d that is really firing on all cylinders right now.  They're going to be hard to beat.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 19:22:33 by rebs »

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #258 on: 18 May 2019, 14:05:20 »
They are facing an extended layoff that will be at minimum a full week. It hasn't gone very well for the rest of the teams that had similar layoffs this postseason.
I have spoken.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #259 on: 18 May 2019, 15:38:59 »
They are facing an extended layoff that will be at minimum a full week. It hasn't gone very well for the rest of the teams that had similar layoffs this postseason.

Whenever they've had a layoff this year the next game has been a struggle but we'll see

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #260 on: 19 May 2019, 01:20:55 »
The sweep is probably the best thing that Carolina could have happen to them if they weren't going to win the Cup.  They have a solid core in place, but a platoon of McElhinney and Mrazek isn't likely to bring them future playoff success.  Scott Darling was supposed to be the guy to backstop them to success but it didn't work out for him or the Canes.

I was hoping he could rediscover himself in Charlotte, but the last I could find anything on him, he requested and was granted an indefinite leave of absence.  The implication being is that possibly some mental issues needed to be attended to.  Whatever it is that has led his career to crater he can overcome.

On the expiring contract front they have to lock up Aho to a new deal now that his rookie deal has expired and decide whether it is worth it to re-sign Williams and Ferland.  If they do that should still leave them with plenty of cash to bring in top tender and an additional UFA or two on defense if they decide to not re-sign either Faulk or Van Riemsdyk.

I saw this evening that Ottawa is interviewing Patrick Roy for their head coaching position.  I would imagine Roy would like to give it another shot as an NHL head coach, but I can't imagine why in hell you'd want to go to the worst situation in the league with an owner that's as bad as Bill Wirtz or worse unless there is a clause in his contract that states they move the team to Quebec City for the 2020-21 season.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #261 on: 19 May 2019, 19:43:56 »
Well. THAT was some kind of whuppin' this afternoon. If that's the Sharks plan, we're done Tuesday night.

+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #262 on: 21 May 2019, 22:12:51 »
And looks like the Cup final is set.  Once again, no Cup for Joe  :(.  Any bets he can keep going as long as Chara?

Will the B's be able to avoid the 2019 sweeper's curse?

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #263 on: 22 May 2019, 00:03:40 »
I believe they will.  My heart says the Blues get their first cup.  The analytics though tell me it will be the Bruins in 6.  Here's hoping I'm wrong and Berube gets his first Stanley Cup ring.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #264 on: 22 May 2019, 00:18:15 »
Bruins in 7.  It will come down to goaltending, and be a hard fought series.  Tukka Rask for Conn Smythe.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #265 on: 27 May 2019, 22:48:01 »

Yes they will!  It's only one game, but at least they're not getting swept!

Cheers, Gabe

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #266 on: 28 May 2019, 00:50:57 »
Now we have to see if St. Louis will avoid a sweep.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #267 on: 28 May 2019, 14:45:06 »
I keep seeing analysts the day after talking about how the Bruins 'shook off the rust early and came back to beat the Blues'. I feel like I watched a different game than they did. Boston came out swinging and had some great chances early- DeBrusk's post-ring comes to mind. I felt like I was watching Toronto in the first round again- here's a team putting out their 'A'-level game, and still going down to an early 2-0 hole. How frustrating is that? To put in your best effort, holding even or better in most stats, and yet still it isn't working?

The chances definitely began to convert later, and the Blues' parade-o-penalties definitely didn't help their cause at all- the last about 35 minutes of play were absolutely dominated by the B's. But 'shook off the rust' seems like it doesn't apply here- from the opening faceoff onwards they were playing very well. It just took a while for them to get one to finally get into the net.

Couldn't have enjoyed the game more- even taking off the yellow-tinted glasses, as a hockey game that was a very good one. Looking forward to seeing how the Blues adjust for Game 2.

+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #268 on: 28 May 2019, 15:29:02 »
Looking forward to seeing how the Blues adjust for Game 2.

They will also begin referring to themselves as "The B's" causing utter chaos.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #269 on: 29 May 2019, 22:24:19 »
And it seems we have a series.   :popcorn:
I have spoken.