Author Topic: Need a recommendation for a good spray paint.  (Read 744 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Need a recommendation for a good spray paint.
« on: 19 May 2019, 21:46:22 »
My garage frequently floods during spring meltoff. It's a rental so I can't control that entirely and my squat rack has been taking on a lovely bit of rust. It's powder coated black and I'd like to, at some point restore and protect it. I assume a wire brush and vigor will take care of part of it. But repainting the bottom part of the frame, what could be a good spray paint that wouldn't look too out of place next to the rest of the powder coat finish?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
Re: Need a recommendation for a good spray paint.
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2019, 04:42:47 »
I can't remember what it was, but when I worked for Excavation company, we would use an automotive rust converter. Basically you wire brush most the rust off and brush this stuff on, just like paint. It turned into a epoxy like coating that you could then paint. We picked it up at the local auto parts store.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2019, 12:35:41 »
Start with a wire brush.  Hand powered if you have to, but something on an angle grinder would be best.

Then hit it with a product called POR-15.  It comes in brush on or spray. 

It says you don't need to remove the rust... Remove as much as you can.  What makes rust so bad in steel and iron, is that the iron oxides that form tend to have greater volume than the base metal, leading to loose, flaking chips.  If you just seal the rust up, it will continue to rust for a while.  As more rust forms, it can expand and when that happens, it can break the seal of the paint, letting in more moisture. 

As to matching the existing?  It's a crap shoot. There are tricks you can use with a rattle can to hid the transition, but it's kinda hard to describe. 

Unfortunately, now that the rust is there, it's virtually impossible to get rid of.  You'll always be chasing this.

Sorry.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2019, 17:56:36 »
You might also want to invest in a mat or blocks if the water's that deep...

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2019, 19:17:40 »
You might also want to invest in a mat or blocks if the water's that deep...

that too
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.