Author Topic: The PW Asks Questions Thread...  (Read 1628 times)

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
The PW Asks Questions Thread...
« on: 03 November 2023, 15:18:25 »
Q1 Importing personnel from 0.48.0 to 0.49.15

I try it. Nothing happens. What am I doing wrong (possibly). The saved file when I attempt to export creates a file as a.csv format is that helps or is the cause of the problem (because maybe the file required to be in some other format at MMHQ recognizes?
« Last Edit: 15 November 2023, 19:57:22 by ThePW »
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
Re: The PW Asks Questions Thread...
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2023, 20:07:41 »
...Dealing with 0.49.15 (which I like but does weird things tm)

Q2a Roles. How do you edit them, in the cases of modified units. In at least two instances, two of my customized/modified units Have No Roll noted on their AS tabs. As far as i can tell, you can NOT edit that in the MekLab tab... but i suspect that the -1 in the one data entry for MUL is the reason (presumably the unique MUL # lists that mek's normal mission Role)...

Q2b Does the game automatically add the maximum number of Astechs required (lets say you started out with 42 extras (that is, the ones not generated as a actual employee with a NAME) and you already have a dozen NAMED Astechs. You know you are short staffed. The next thing that happens is that suddenly your 42 faceless becomes 78. What is occurring? This never happened in 0.48.0...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2023, 22:44:56 »
Q1 Importing personnel from 0.48.0 to 0.49.15

I try it. Nothing happens. What am I doing wrong (possibly). The saved file when I attempt to export creates a file as a.csv format is that helps or is the cause of the problem (because maybe the file required to be in some other format at MMHQ recognizes?

Yeah, the CSV file is just for getting a quick summary of your personnel for like a spreadsheet or something similar. If you want the file that you can import into MekHQ, go to the Personnel tab and right click on any name, there is an "Export Personnel" option there as well. It will produce the prsx file. You can CTRL or Shift click to select multiple people to export.

Q2a Roles. How do you edit them, in the cases of modified units. In at least two instances, two of my customized/modified units Have No Roll noted on their AS tabs. As far as i can tell, you can NOT edit that in the MekLab tab... but i suspect that the -1 in the one data entry for MUL is the reason (presumably the unique MUL # lists that mek's normal mission Role)...

Roles are assigned via the unit_roles.txt file in the data folder. If you want your customs to show roles, you'll need to update the file.

Q2b Does the game automatically add the maximum number of Astechs required (lets say you started out with 42 extras (that is, the ones not generated as a actual employee with a NAME) and you already have a dozen NAMED Astechs. You know you are short staffed. The next thing that happens is that suddenly your 42 faceless becomes 78. What is occurring? This never happened in 0.48.0...

It does not automatically add astechs. There is an option to "Bring all tech teams to full strength", which will add six "temporary" astechs for every tech. These astechs don't show up in your personnel roster, only down at the status bar the bottom of the screen. But even if you hire new techs, you'd need to hit that button again to add more temp astechs. It shouldn't be changing your astechs without your input. I've not had that happen, but if you're seeing in consistently you might have run into a weird bug.

"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2023, 16:20:16 »
There's an option under File => MekHQ Options => New Day Options tab for automatically filling support pools.  There are separate check boxes for astecs and medics.  So if you add a tech and are short astechs, when the day is advanced it will automatically hire as many astechs as needed.  If I'm remembering correctly this may be checked by default.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2023, 18:51:49 »
There's an option under File => MekHQ Options => New Day Options tab for automatically filling support pools.  There are separate check boxes for astecs and medics.  So if you add a tech and are short astechs, when the day is advanced it will automatically hire as many astechs as needed.  If I'm remembering correctly this may be checked by default.

Ah there we go. I should have added "or there's some option I'm not remembering."  :laugh:
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2023, 08:22:48 »

And looking at the Coming Soon thread, looks like this is changing and will be handled in MML in the near future!

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2023, 11:10:28 »
And looking at the Coming Soon thread, looks like this is changing and will be handled in MML in the near future!
Thank You...

I have princess enemy units set to deploy in turn TWO (2) in the lobby... they show up on turn 1... what gives?

yukamichi

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2023, 14:49:55 »
I'm not sure about 49.15 specifically, but I've regularly noticed that changing the deployment turn on bot units won't have any effect unless you're on the same team as the bot (switch teams so you and the bot are on the same one, change the units' deployment turn, then switch the teams back).

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2024, 15:51:35 »
I'm not sure about 49.15 specifically, but I've regularly noticed that changing the deployment turn on bot units won't have any effect unless you're on the same team as the bot (switch teams so you and the bot are on the same one, change the units' deployment turn, then switch the teams back).

this works, for the record, for both circumstances involving hidden or units arriving later on into the sessions...
« Last Edit: 09 February 2024, 15:58:30 by ThePW »

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 09 February 2024, 15:57:19 »

this is getting pretty consistent that sessions generated from MMHQ -> MM or manually created, when victory conditions are met (or mostly met when only a crew is left on the field) that when either Victory is reached or Typed In from the Lower Left Corner, the game stops. The option to save the game session prompts, the box comes up showing both the player and the bot, the bot leaves and only the player is left and the DING never happens to allow you to advance to the post game screens. I have had several interesting sessions i had to EXIT OUT of the session and forced to manually complete back in MMHQ.

1) What is possibly going on?

2) Why is MM still thinking the stricken crews/mechwarriors are still valid targets (thus need to be hit to forced withdrawal or destroyed)

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2024, 19:04:03 »
1) What is possibly going on?

In the past I found some stalling trying to return from MM to an already active MekHQ session.  I suspect the problem was in memory management (it can be a serious memory hog with large/complex maps, fire/smoke, etc. and long turn-count games) from running multiple sequential scenarios.  I've taken a number of steps over the years which have seemed to minimize the issue.  The first is to use the Java configuration file to allocate more RAM to both MM and MekHQ.  The second is to always save and close MekHQ after completing a scenario.  The latter frees up all memory otherwise allocated to the Java session, and reloading tends to fix a few other issues such as tactical support/leadership reinforcements showing up in multiple pending scenarios e.g. deploying supporting infantry through StratCon for the next scenario tries to deploy them to the other two, including the one that is space combat.  Another issues it solves is being unable to unload external ordnance like bombs and rocket launchers from salvaged aircraft.

2) Why is MM still thinking the stricken crews/mechwarriors are still valid targets (thus need to be hit to forced withdrawal or destroyed)

They are still valid units.  Whether you consider them valid targets or not, is another matter.  Ejected MechWarriors and vehicle crews should be flagged 'crippled' by default and Princess should be withdrawing them to the designated forced withdrawal edge without needing to shoot at them.  The only time where they won't, would be blocking terrain, conditions which reduce MP e.g. they tend to sit and spin in the dark, or the Princess settings have turned off withdrawal.

Well before the game gets to that point, though, I /kick the OpFor players and replace them with new settings that has them withdrawing off the map in a more or less organized fashion, depending on situation.  For example, under a Pirate Hunting contract I have the OpFor break when they've taking only 25% losses by BV or lost a particularly valuable Mech - pirates aren't known for fighting it out as there isn't any benefit to them.  At that point I /kick them and set the destination edge to "Nearest", as they're not coordinated enough to withdraw properly.  Contrast that to, say Federated Commonwealth forces where they stick it out until around 50% losses or the situation is judged untenable, at which point they stage a fighting withdrawal back to their home edge.

I don't issue the /victory or /defeat commands to end the scenario even if the MekHQ defined conditions are met.  Things get played out, allowing for more opportunity to claim salvage and/or prisoners and more time to withdraw friendly units to safety.  The command gets issued when the end result is more or less fixed i.e. there's little to no chance of crippling/killing units before they can leave, or they cannot reasonably leave before that happens.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2024, 23:08:32 »
I've been having a similar issue and hadn't gotten around to changing the memory.

Here are the instructions (since the search can be difficult to locate it)
Go to the command prompt
Type "java -version" and press enter
If you are running Java 64-bit the output should include "64-Bit"
Keep in mind that you may have multiple versions of Java installed on your system.

To increase memory for Megamek look for the file called MegaMek.l4j.ini in the folder.  Inside look for a line that says -Xmx1024m and change that to -Xmx2048m.

Depending on how much RAM you have with determine who much that second number can be. If you have 16 gig you should be able to away with -Xmx4096m

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2024, 18:47:32 »
I recommend changing both for MegaMek (MegaMek.l4j.ini) and MekHQ (MekHQ.l4j.ini).
- The Society

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2024, 20:57:50 »
0:49:15

I have not checked in MM (from MMHQ) but I noticed something. I am able to connect my C3 Lance together in my To&E tab but my C3i Level-II does not (in fact, when I was selecting my C3 slaves to my C3M, all 6 C3i units were Eligible options to link to my C3S's)

The C3i Level-II is creatable in MM but it remains disabled in MMHQ, after completing a mission. I'll run a session with both the LEVEL-II and the C3 lance in MM...

Register