Author Topic: AFFS High Command - From the Dark Heart of Arby's to the Very Gates of Sian!  (Read 183947 times)

Wombat

• Captain
If I can secure vacation, I'm coming to GenCon this year.  :)
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Hey! We back!!!!  :D [wildandcrazy]

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Joskney

• Troubled one...
  • Corporal
  • Lesnovo's Ronin Warrior.
Nice Gencon NPA Wombat!! 

Last year Gencon time I was in southern Louisianna at my wife's family reunion.... and it was about as normal as the Halls
472nd Division (ComStar), 12th Army

97jedi

Some things never change. I did, however, consider changing my username, but it's who I am in these parts.

I'm for GenCon, of course. I think a lot of the CSO guys from last year will be there again this year.

Wombat

• Captain
Our PTO schedule has changed this year, so I'm not 100% I'll have earned enough paid (key-word there folks) time off to make the trip and get my game on. In many ways, I imagine GenCon to be like that episode of Skins where the kids went to Russia. Fun times.
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
3CL,

Given the fate of your namesake unit did you consider changing your login name?  Just curious.

S/F

Matt

I did, actually, but I've been using this name for so long. Might as well keep it as a reminder of "a certain splendid memory", as Churchill once said.

Howdy folks!

*dusts off spurs and attaches them to boot.

I think it's time I took the reigns of some Ceti Hussars once again.

I keep meaning to ask, your avatar is Alain Deleon from Le Samourai, right?
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
Sheesh, I was starting to go through the withdrawl shakes, but now all is fine again.

97jedi and 3CL with different names? Only in an alternate universe I say, that and it would not feel right if they did.

Good to be back.

Force

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
The Grand Duchy of Furillo once more Reestablishes it's embassy, and all is right for now.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
Sheesh, I was starting to go through the withdrawl shakes, but now all is fine again.

97jedi and 3CL with different names? Only in an alternate universe I say, that and it would not feel right if they did.

Good to be back.

Force

Will you be at GenCon, or does FoN Mark II preclude it this year?

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
3CL,

Given the fate of your namesake unit did you consider changing your login name?  Just curious.

S/F

Matt

I did, actually, but I've been using this name for so long. Might as well keep it as a reminder of "a certain splendid memory", as Churchill once said.

Howdy folks!

*dusts off spurs and attaches them to boot.

I think it's time I took the reigns of some Ceti Hussars once again.

I keep meaning to ask, your avatar is Alain Deleon from Le Samourai, right?

It is indeed.  I watched it over the summer and really liked the film and the character especially.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
The Grand Duchy of Furillo once more Reestablishes it's embassy, and all is right for now.

I kinda of figured that was you, Vash. Though I guess you are now CSA.

Wait, I just looked at the Asgard thread. Wow, I didn't expect Liaofan to change his name.

Nope, it was Vash. CSA is Vash.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 11:50:45 by Lord Harlock »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel

Good to be back.

Force
Speaking of alternate universes...
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
I hope everyone sticks to their old user names.  It will get too confusing otherwise, then again I didn't know 90% of the users here before.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain

It is indeed.  I watched it over the summer and really liked the film and the character especially.

Melville is a great director. Army of Shadows by him is one of my all-time favorite movies ever, and the best movie ever made about the French Resistance.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised

Melville is a great director. Army of Shadows by him is one of my all-time favorite movies ever, and the best movie ever made about the French Resistance.

I'll have to add that one to my list then. 

God bless Netflix and it's opening up of a world of cinema from me.  I've seen a ton that I would never of have without it.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.

Will you be at GenCon, or does FoN Mark II preclude it this year?

More like terrible II's and yeah, she is in the middle of them.

I am planning on going to GenCon, but will not be able to commit to it until later.

Force

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
God bless Netflix and it's opening up of a world of cinema from me.  I've seen a ton that I would never of have without it.

That is a great thing about Netflix. If you find you liked Army of Shadows, I'd also recommend Z, which is probably my favorite "good" movie of all time. Ah, I've never regretted the semesters I took film instead of a foreign language, except when travelling...or trying to find a new job...

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised

That is a great thing about Netflix. If you find you liked Army of Shadows, I'd also recommend Z, which is probably my favorite "good" movie of all time. Ah, I've never regretted the semesters I took film instead of a foreign language, except when travelling...or trying to find a new job...

I have to take a foreign language, its a prerequisite the State of Tennessee puts on all Bachelor of Arts students, but I'd like to squeeze a film class in there if I have the time one of these upcoming semesters.

Lately I've been really interested in Soviet Era science fiction and fantasy, both in film and print.  Netflix has helped a lot in that department too.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Checking something:  Since the Censortron doesn't catch "damn", it's not considered foul language here, right?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
I have to take a foreign language, its a prerequisite the State of Tennessee puts on all Bachelor of Arts students, but I'd like to squeeze a film class in there if I have the time one of these upcoming semesters.

Lately I've been really interested in Soviet Era science fiction and fantasy, both in film and print.  Netflix has helped a lot in that department too.

Mercifully Illinois didn't have that requirement when I was getting my BA at the turn of the century, or I'd never have made it.

Soviet stuff, eh? Like Stanislaw Lem, or Stalker/Roadside Picnic?

Checking something:  Since the Censortron doesn't catch "damn", it's not considered foul language here, right?

Shit man, I don't know.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
Ain't that a bitch though?

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Mostly I wanted to see if the Censortron did catch it.  It didn't, so I guess it's okay.  Though that makes me wonder how much it does catch.  I mean, short of the obvious one.
Sunrise is Coming.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
Mercifully Illinois didn't have that requirement when I was getting my BA at the turn of the century, or I'd never have made it.

Soviet stuff, eh? Like Stanislaw Lem, or Stalker/Roadside Picnic?

Yeah I read and watched Solaris.

Also Fantastic/La Planète Sauvage which is a Fench/ Czechoslovakian animated film, and this really creepy Ukrainian version of Alice In Wonderland to name a couple.

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
and this really creepy Ukrainian version of Alice In Wonderland to name a couple.

I've heard of that one, never managed to see it.

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
and this really creepy Ukrainian version of Alice In Wonderland to name a couple.

I've heard of that one, never managed to see it.

If you happen to have Netflix it streams there.  It's full of some claymation that just makes my skin crawl haha.

TeamNutmeg

• Recruit
Checking in.  Probably be a while working through my 10 captchas.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Well, I'm back, with an old avatar to boot.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
*Falls through ceiling.* "Where is Foxbat? I have the Knockando and the cat." Walks over to the usual chair by the fire and lets Katherine (the cat) get comfy.
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
Glad to see you here again! It is good to have a AFFS High Command thread.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
GreenDragon present and accounted for.  Now to decipher the letters at the bottom of the screen.  Wish me luck.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper