Author Topic: FedCom commands question  (Read 4485 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
FedCom commands question
« on: 31 July 2019, 16:05:58 »
Did FedCom have any other commads than the Federated Commonwealth Corps that were specifically made for AFFC, drawing from both Lyran and FedSuns halves?
And if there were, did any engage the Clans? As far as i can determine with short research, it seems all FedCom RCTs were in the Sarna March or otherwise in "southern" Inner Sphehre.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: FedCom commands question
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2019, 16:12:28 »
Hmm, some of the FedCom RCTs were involved in the War of 3039 . . . but it makes some sense for them to be in Sarna March since it was part of Melissa's holdings.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2019, 16:23:16 »
I believe the FedCom RCTs  are about it, there likely would have been more if the alliance had lasted longer. I know the LCAF took on the some of the AFFS command organizations, e.g. Marches. So, you had March Militias, e.g. Periphery March Militia. I'm not sure if the Provincial and Theatre Militias appeared before of after the split?

Maybe the Tikonov Republican Guards would count as well? Also, training battalions, they would count.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2019, 16:24:54 by Ogra_Chief »
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2019, 02:54:38 »
Did FedCom have any other commads than the Federated Commonwealth Corps that were specifically made for AFFC, drawing from both Lyran and FedSuns halves?
And if there were, did any engage the Clans? As far as i can determine with short research, it seems all FedCom RCTs were in the Sarna March or otherwise in "southern" Inner Sphehre.

The 9th FedCom engaged the Falcons on Twycross.
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2019, 03:06:53 »
The 9th F-C RCT fought on Twycross, when it was retaken from the Jade Falcons in 3050, and according to the old "Invading Clans" book they were later driven off Twycross by the Steel Vipers.

In the 20 year update the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th & 8th were in the Sarna March; 10th in the Draconis March; 9th, 11th & 12th in the Skye March; 7th in the St Ives Compact.

In Objectives Raids the F-C's in the Sarna March are still there; while 11th & 12th are still in the Skye March, 10th is now in the Tamar March & 7th is still in the St Ives Compact. The 9th is missing (but there are few units missing in Objective Raids) but it did survive the Steel Vipers and I believe it was used to form the (Lyran) Alliance Jaegers.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2019, 07:22:55 »
9th eh? I've missed that.

Thanks, that helps.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2019, 17:34:49 »
The FedCom Corp was the model for a 'integrated' command. But other than there RCT's that was the limit to the integration of there forces other than officer exchange programs and transferring personnel to each others schools.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2019, 16:51:38 »
Administratively speaking it would have made sense to keep the state commands separate. The distances involved simply means a Fed Suns based unit would take ridiculously long to get to the Lyran half without a serious disruption to civilian shipping and its attendant economic issues.

In any case, most units still primarily answered to the March commands and the Lyran equivalents.

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2019, 18:09:30 »
Administratively speaking it would have made sense to keep the state commands separate. The distances involved simply means a Fed Suns based unit would take ridiculously long to get to the Lyran half without a serious disruption to civilian shipping and its attendant economic issues.

In any case, most units still primarily answered to the March commands and the Lyran equivalents.

True, except there was a concerted effort to inter-mingle commands across the two states pre-invasion onward till the FCCW.

Additionally, Brigade Level Command Authority existed separate from regional authorities, e.g. Davion Guard, Lyran Guard, FedCom Brigade, etc. How that worked in conjunction with March/Theatre Commands, given the distances between units, was never wholly explained, but Brigade Command Levels are established in the early Housebooks.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2019, 18:11:05 by Ogra_Chief »
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2019, 15:17:53 »
Additionally, Brigade Level Command Authority existed separate from regional authorities, e.g. Davion Guard, Lyran Guard, FedCom Brigade, etc. How that worked in conjunction with March/Theatre Commands, given the distances between units, was never wholly explained, but Brigade Command Levels are established in the early Housebooks.
My head canon is that the brigade command is mostly concerned with recruiment, procurement, and politics (what regiment will be disbanded, newly raised etc.).

Also, it is a place to give nobles a high ranking office without them doing to much harm. They just let the operations run by theatre commands, oversee the recruitment once in a while, and do some socializing in the capital.
That's not how a modern military would handle it, but then the IS militaries are substantially different from modern, western armies.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2019, 07:03:05 »
True, except there was a concerted effort to inter-mingle commands across the two states pre-invasion onward till the FCCW.

It's primarily the Federal level commands that got intermingled, and primarily as a means to spread around Davion military competence and doctrine. This is why Davion commands were rotated thru the Lyran half and Lyran commands thru the Davion half. I don't think the set up was intended to be permanent though. It's just that the Clans, plus Guerrero, plus Serpent made untangling the mess a logistical nightmare. And then Katherine made her move.