Author Topic: what is a "portable Laser Platoon"?  (Read 1489 times)

drdaniel5

• Recruit
what is a "portable Laser Platoon"?
« on: 24 July 2019, 01:46:32 »
I'm looking in old scenario books and I see several of them have units listed as "portable Laser Platoon" and I can't for the life of me find out what that actually is. it's not in megamek lab, or on the master unit list. Is it like a crew served medium laser?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: what is a "portable Laser Platoon"?
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2019, 02:02:49 »
It's probably support lasers.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2019, 02:07:46 »
Back in the old days, there were five platoon types. Rifle, Flamer, Machine Gun, SRM, and Laser.

Old portable laser platoons did a lot of damage and in concept were presumably infantry equipped with support lasers.

Unfortunately, that unit type didn't quite make through the revisions for total warfare. The Rifle (energy) troops are more soldiers armed with laser rifles, and there is no "support laser" option among the generic infantry units.

If you have tech manual, you can make your own. There are also people around here who would be eager to help.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2019, 06:54:59 »
You can also make your own infantry with MekLab. It certainly saves a lot of time.
liber et infractus

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2019, 01:02:07 »
Also depends on the era you play, or what the GM allows.

A truly nasty Laser platoon would be the Mauser 960 plus the Heavy Support Laser. The support weapon has a range of 15(?) hexes iirc