Author Topic: TECHNICAL: Changes to forum thread naming?  (Read 1329 times)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
TECHNICAL: Changes to forum thread naming?
« on: 17 October 2014, 00:52:33 »
I noticed that threads now have the name of their subject instead of a topic number. How long will old links stay valid for? At what point will something like

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,769.0.html cease to work?

I'm assuming the thread name doesn't change even if the subject is later modified.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2015, 06:57:42 by Knightmare »

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
Re: Changes to forum thread naming?
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2014, 06:04:11 »
Pretty urls are visually appealing and easier for humans to utilize elsewhere, but have no effect on how links work.

Click your posted link. Did it work?  O0

If you do happen to run into a non-functional link, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

KM
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2015, 23:45:29 »
Pretty urls are visually appealing and easier for humans to utilize elsewhere, but have no effect on how links work.

Click your posted link. Did it work?  O0

If you do happen to run into a non-functional link, let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

KM

Do the links change if the thread poster changes their thread title? I think I've seen a couple cases of this breaking links in the Fan Articles directory

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2015, 06:56:20 »
I haven't seen any broken links in the crawl data, but I can run some extra maintenance...
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan