Author Topic: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread  (Read 170083 times)

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
Re: Empire of the Nerds: The Niops Association Thread
« Reply #210 on: 02 December 2012, 19:13:33 »
Nothing new on Niops in ISP3 sadly.

In my ongoing 3030-ish ATOW campaign, my intrepid players are the bodyguards for an agent of the Oberon Confederation trying to broker a secret deal with the Niops Association. One of the player characters is freelancing on the side to the LIC and is trying to discover what the actual deal is about. Unfortunately for all of them, the MIM, ROM and SAFE are also aware something is going on and are all acting in some fashion against the players team. Add in that the players in the last session were tempted by two separate potentional defectors... one who's bait by Niops folks against the deal with Oberon and the other which is the genuine article. Talk about a snake pit eh?

ISP3 is about largely unknown or neglected periphery planets.  The Niops system, though it got hammered, is still viable and has gotten its share of coverage already.  What Niops might want to do, though, is to buy itself a Jumpship in a few years and go to one of those Canopian Waste worlds and offer its few thousand people the chance to immigrate to Niops.  Done right, it could provide some needed population growth that might help Niops recover.
To the utmost!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #211 on: 02 December 2012, 21:08:38 »
Do you know what happened to the last bunch of immigrants that landed on their shores?
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Dark_Falcon

• Warrant Officer
  • Over, under, or through.
« Reply #212 on: 02 December 2012, 22:10:34 »
Do you know what happened to the last bunch of immigrants that landed on their shores?

Yes, I do.  But they also know how badly their own behavior hurt themselves.  It is not written in stone that history must repeat itself.
To the utmost!

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
  • Also known as the mighty Iron Liz
« Reply #213 on: 10 January 2013, 17:21:00 »
I remember reading in a Jihad book that the armed forces had to deal with a rampaging mercenary group after its infantry contingent broke the commander out of a Niops prison.  They said the damage done by the Black Heart Roses mercenary group did horrible damage, but not if that limited their ability to produce equipment or battlemechs.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #214 on: 10 January 2013, 17:28:30 »
I think it was the WoB that crippled their production.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #215 on: 10 January 2013, 21:27:06 »
Hmm, haven't the Black Hearts reputation taken a beating since mid 60s?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #216 on: 10 January 2013, 22:47:44 »
Hmm, haven't the Black Hearts reputation taken a beating since mid 60s?

Well, they took a literal beating and are now removed from the payrolls I think.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #217 on: 11 January 2013, 00:29:29 »
Most of the damage done to the Niops Association was done during the internal troubles (riots, etc), raiding by outside forces and then the Blakists directly.  The fighting between the Black Heart Roses and the Niops military was more limited (in terms of how large an area the fighting occurred in not necessarily the brutality thereof).

The Black Heart Roses were destroyed when their DropShip exploded enroute to the jump point after they were forced to leave the Niops Association.  A couple members might have survived if they split off prior to the DropShip taking off (such as those who might have helped Alicia Carmichael escape), which is what started the fighting between the Niops Association and the mercenaries in the first place.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Vanadius

• Sergeant
« Reply #218 on: 11 January 2013, 16:39:53 »
Why did the Wobbies start nuking the Niops Association?

What are theu retaliating for?  Being researchers not under the Wobbie umbrella?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #219 on: 11 January 2013, 16:42:53 »
Yea, not joining the WoB who believe they're the inheritors of the SL

Vanadius

• Sergeant
« Reply #220 on: 11 January 2013, 16:52:07 »
Yea, not joining the WoB who believe they're the inheritors of the SL

That just seems weird to me.  In 3079 it appears that the Wobbies had already lost Terra, and retreated to Circinus.  That's still a full 94 days of transit time to get to Niops to nuke it.

Why waste all that time to smack an uninvolved party when they're already losing the war for survival?

I know it is the Wobbies, and they were used to plaster a HUGE hole in the Timeline, but some of it just seems so weird.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2013, 16:56:18 by anusol »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #221 on: 11 January 2013, 16:57:09 »
I never said they nuked it. I don't know that for sure. Remember tho... they wanted to do the same thing old C* did. Keep people in the dark ages with low tech so they could be saviors.

Vanadius

• Sergeant
« Reply #222 on: 11 January 2013, 17:00:38 »
I never said they nuked it.
Oh I know.  I'm referencing Sarna there.  Not saying you were wrong in any way,  just that the timeline seems weird to me as I'm researching.  It seems more like the writers wanted to cut off the potential for future advancements in the periphery by knocking down Niops.
I don't know that for sure. Remember tho... they wanted to do the same thing old C* did. Keep people in the dark ages with low tech so they could be saviors.

Yeah.  Zealots will be zealots, even when it makes no sense.

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #223 on: 11 January 2013, 19:52:36 »
That just seems weird to me.  In 3079 it appears that the Wobbies had already lost Terra, and retreated to Circinus.  That's still a full 94 days of transit time to get to Niops to nuke it.

Why waste all that time to smack an uninvolved party when they're already losing the war for survival?

It could have been a sleeper cell rather than the WoB traveling all that distance at that particular time.

97jedi

« Reply #224 on: 11 January 2013, 21:12:53 »
FM3085 page 133 settles whether NIOPS was nuked by the WoB or not.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #225 on: 11 January 2013, 22:07:36 »

I know it is the Wobbies, and they were used to plaster a HUGE hole in the Timeline, but some of it just seems so weird.

The Word of Blake actually sent a force to invade the Niops Association.  Field Report Periphery touches a bit on the Wobbies motivation, but I suspect they were also looking for easy caches of Star League tech repair parts for their forces, as well, and perhaps another base of operations besides Circinus where they could affect repairs to their forces.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

cavalier1645

• Lieutenant
  • "Train the Force...OPFOR"
« Reply #226 on: 24 January 2013, 08:22:02 »
FM3085 page 133 settles whether NIOPS was nuked by the WoB or not.

Well at least they survived and are rebuilding. I rather like Niops, a descendant of the Star League gets a thumbs up in my opinion (Well unless your the clans. :) )

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #227 on: 24 January 2013, 12:57:08 »
Yup. The Dark Age source material made it clear Niops survived at least through the last novel, though hinted that the social stratification may have been making a reappearance.  Where Niops will end up post 3145, though, is anyone's guess.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #228 on: 24 January 2013, 19:45:03 »
Niops, Herb's summerhome... or is that Outrech?

TT

:))
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #229 on: 25 January 2013, 01:40:22 »
Wouldn't you get a better tan on Outreach?  :)
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #230 on: 25 January 2013, 11:45:24 »
Yup. The Dark Age source material made it clear Niops survived at least through the last novel, though hinted that the social stratification may have been making a reappearance.  Where Niops will end up post 3145, though, is anyone's guess.

Part of the Marian Hegemony...  ;D

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #231 on: 25 January 2013, 12:07:49 »
[stupid]
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #232 on: 25 January 2013, 12:51:49 »

Heh. Unlikely.

Seriously, though, the Marians had ample opportunity to do so after the Jihad and during the Republic era but didn't.  Post-Jihad, Niops would have been down to less than two companies of 'Mech and vehicles, a squadron of ASF, and maybe a battalion of infantry (ie. 10% of their pre-Jihad strength), appear to have lost production of one version of the Nighthawk to the Marians (the XXI is not on the master unit list for the Marians during the Jihad, but the XXII is), have lost most of their military production, and had their capitol nuked.

Given all that, why didn't the Marians conquer Niops in the near five decades between the end of the Jihad and kickoff of the Dark Age?

cavalier1645

• Lieutenant
  • "Train the Force...OPFOR"
« Reply #233 on: 25 January 2013, 13:35:40 »
Heh. Unlikely.

Seriously, though, the Marians had ample opportunity to do so after the Jihad and during the Republic era but didn't.  Post-Jihad, Niops would have been down to less than two companies of 'Mech and vehicles, a squadron of ASF, and maybe a battalion of infantry (ie. 10% of their pre-Jihad strength), appear to have lost production of one version of the Nighthawk to the Marians (the XXI is not on the master unit list for the Marians during the Jihad, but the XXII is), have lost most of their military production, and had their capitol nuked.

Given all that, why didn't the Marians conquer Niops in the near five decades between the end of the Jihad and kickoff of the Dark Age?

Mostly the Marian Hegemony was to busy recovering from the Jihad just like everyone else.

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #234 on: 25 January 2013, 14:04:33 »
nm, previous poster said what I was going to say
« Last Edit: 25 January 2013, 14:06:51 by Stormcrow »
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #235 on: 25 January 2013, 14:37:46 »
Add to that there were plenty of former FWL worlds just waiting to be seized by the Marian Hegemony.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #236 on: 25 January 2013, 15:08:56 »
The MH is being talked about way more these days than it was back then. The writers probably didn't think about adding all that stuff in because when the DA novels were being written the MH was still just a backwater bandit/pirate state.

I believe if those same DA novels were being written now, with the information we have now about the MH, things would have turned out different. We did expand in this time period also.

CanopusIV

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #237 on: 25 January 2013, 16:25:09 »
Well, I also suspect there's a lot of regional powers who don't want the Hegemony to take the Niops.  They still possess the technology and the means to build BattleMechs and other advanced military hardware even if it's damaged.  I doubt many former League powers would want the Marians taking Niops and turning it into a refit/resupply depot for their expansion into former League territories.

If I had to guess, I would think Niops still possesses valuable regional allies who supply them with support in both politics and industry.  In many ways, they represent a valuable buffer state that few want to see fall by the wayside.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #238 on: 25 January 2013, 16:55:49 »
The common assumption that the Marian's conquered former FWL systems has no basis in fact, as far as I know.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #239 on: 25 January 2013, 18:40:30 »
The common assumption that the Marian's conquered former FWL systems has no basis in fact, as far as I know.
Huntington, Landfall, and Hazeldean disagrees with your theories, unless something's wrong with my 3063 or 3130 maps.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!