Author Topic: Ship Design Questions  (Read 386 times)

Primus203

• Corporal
Ship Design Questions
« on: 04 April 2024, 01:01:15 »
So I just found out that having people in quarters is ten times more efficient for supplies usage. For someone in steerage this means that around day one hundred twelve you break even on supplies. After that it becomes far more efficient to have quarters. As the warship I'm planning is to have a minimum endurance of 500 days without resupply quarters make sense.

Meaning the first question is do different quarters have a benefit?  Is there a reason other than lore not to stick everyone in steerage.

Second how do I calculate my need for spare parts? As far as I understand because rules were written at different times the warship, dropships, small craft, fighters, mechs VTOL, and battle armor are all calculated differently.

How much fuel do I use in travel between star systems? The warship is a very long range\duration raider.

Can the majority of my parts and resource needs be met by raiding?

How significantly does combat increase parts needs I'm planning a minimum of 50 days capability for ground deployments in combat conditions.

Are there any other ship design considerations that can lower resource usage?

Do pilots of vehicles such as mechs or fighters need quarters or are they magically considered part of the bays?

For a 50k ton dropship is 794 armor per face adequate? Would reducing it to just over 600 per face be safe or is it better to stay with the higher amount  the benefit of the just over 600 is about 1900 more tons of cargo capacity.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Ship Design Questions
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2024, 04:30:16 »
No mechanical benefit for different quarters.

There is a formula in Campaign Ops for spares (0.1% of total mass for pretty much everything 'tactical' plus 1/4 total ammo per unit, plus 4x Fighter Fuel Capacity) and it's not because they were developed at different times.

Fuel Consumption per day is in Strategic Ops I believe (monthly use is 15 burn days per Campaign Ops for all craft larger than a fighter).

You probably can't raid for Warship parts but as far as Campaign Ops is concerned all Aerospace parts are the same.

Combat has no impact on parts but you should pack more armor and ammo as well as spare airframes in cargo.

Mech, ASF, and Small Craft bays all incorporate some quarters (at least 2) into their mass although SC are indirect since the SC needs quarters already built in.

Depends what your threat profile looks like

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2024, 07:51:56 »
So I just found out that having people in quarters is ten times more efficient for supplies usage. For someone in steerage this means that around day one hundred twelve you break even on supplies. After that it becomes far more efficient to have quarters. As the warship I'm planning is to have a minimum endurance of 500 days without resupply quarters make sense.

Meaning the first question is do different quarters have a benefit?  Is there a reason other than lore not to stick everyone in steerage.

Second how do I calculate my need for spare parts? As far as I understand because rules were written at different times the warship, dropships, small craft, fighters, mechs VTOL, and battle armor are all calculated differently.

How much fuel do I use in travel between star systems? The warship is a very long range\duration raider.

Can the majority of my parts and resource needs be met by raiding?

How significantly does combat increase parts needs I'm planning a minimum of 50 days capability for ground deployments in combat conditions.

Are there any other ship design considerations that can lower resource usage?

Do pilots of vehicles such as mechs or fighters need quarters or are they magically considered part of the bays?

For a 50k ton dropship is 794 armor per face adequate? Would reducing it to just over 600 per face be safe or is it better to stay with the higher amount  the benefit of the just over 600 is about 1900 more tons of cargo capacity.

Much of the game rules are abstracted and simplified-there's no factoring for, for example, crew fatigue.  Everyone is ALWAYS fresh as a daisy even when they've been pulling multiple gees for weeks while never actually having time to sleep.

The use of full quarters now? is not something that works in the game rules, but it IS something that applies in reality-sufficient quarters and sufficient crew to keep the ship manned while still allowing eight hours of sleep,and up to four hours of non-duty activity positively impacts both morale, and readiness in the real world. 

There are studies fo this, and it's why newer ships in the real world are often given more space for non-combat assets like beds, better chow, and recreational facilities.  Your crew ends up being healthier and more alert, readier to take action, than crews crammed into bays like sardines on a hot-bunking cycle with no time off.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2024, 08:27:23 »
Agreed with Cannonshop, also its really not that large of an expense tonnage wise on a larger vessel unless you intend to carry a lot of passengers like some kind of troop ship. Economically the cut off is 20-40 days before the c-bill and/or tonnage expense of maintaining infantry bay level quarters vs dedicated steerage quarters reverses dramatically.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2024, 10:10:28 »
Also to make a distinction about fuel, the FTL method Battletech uses does not directly consume fuel.  It is most frequently charged off a jump sail.  If the sail is damaged or you need to be in a hurry then you can burn fuel to charge the FTL.

There is also the Lithium Fusion Battery that can be used.  But this also needs to be charged back up after use, separately.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2024, 19:09:19 »
The pre-"Taurians exist" figure was 90 days between Bay and Quarters.  I think the 112 day one is after that change.  I proposed a house rule for "Field Kitchens" reducing consumption rates here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79138.0.html

Primus203

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2024, 00:55:23 »
Got another pair of questions as I continue my design the battle armor bay shows 6 personnel are these the battlearmor pilots or are these technicians  and the battlearmor pilots are counted separately?

Second I was told I need a yardship for repairs. Does this also include something as simple as replacing ship armor? That is something which decides if I need more spare armor for the ships.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2024, 03:30:09 »
The table on page 239 of Tech Manual also lists the number of troopers.  Any others are techs.

As far as armor repair, I see a requirement for a shipyard if you're doing customization work, but not simple repairs like that.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2024, 12:25:21 »
Yard ship is good for Generic Repairs away from a dedicated Slip.

Both allow a quick fix, or in case of major damages, where you can't get to a Slip, a Yard Ship will make basic repairs to your KF drive, so you can get to a Slip and save the "Yard" time off.

Think of the Ship a tow-truck and your Slip as the garage. Your Car (WS) has engine troubles.

You patch the Drive and hull for a temporary jump, then complete the service.

If your being clandestine, then having your Yardship sneak in to quietly repair as much as possible. But generally, fixing that KF Drive is top priority first. Everything else is secondary.

Hope that helps.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Primus203

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2024, 15:24:46 »
How do you guys figure out how much replacement equipment you need? At current I have 40 deployable light mechs with 2 extra spare mechs per deployable as light is more prone to being taken out. 2 spare reactors per light as XL is more likely to be damaged. One full spare gun allotment per light including those in storage.

Medium mech 40 deployable 40 spares heavy mech 20 deployable 20 spares. One spare reactor per unit one full spare gun allotment.

Mechs have a fifty percent spare pilot allotment.

VTOL 30 deployable of three combined types. As they are very vulnerable to damage four spare units for each deployed. One spare reactor for each. Double the ammount of deployed pilots due to risk of pilot death being higher. Spare gun set for each.

Fighters and bombers fifty percent spare frames. Full spare gun set per frame. Extra reactor per frame.

Fifty full reloads for anything using ammo. Aerospace and VTOL use heavy ferro fibrous 2000 tons allotted. Mechs use standard 1200 tons allotted.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 06 April 2024, 15:57:11 »
I wouldn't take replacement engines, probably provide a 1/3 replacement machine per unit (Basically a spare Lance per Company) for most designs, I'd actually lean more on medium/heavy replacement as Lights while weak should be able to disengage from threats when used appropriately (not during the SWs). Doing engine swaps or more complex repairs is probably something you'd want to do at a depot maintenance facility not in a repair bay if not send them back to the factory. Any damaged machines put in storage can be used for spare actuators and other such materials. I think the 1/2 extra machines for aerospace is probably pretty smart as long as you can recover your pilots, I would not bring extra engines for them however.

50x Ammo will give you 200 months of peacetime endurance so that's actually probably to much as you're more likely to lose some machines during active fighting. That's probably plenty for armor though, its not like it goes bad.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2024, 17:01:06 »
You're carrying enough spares to be a raid target in and of yourself!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2024, 17:43:43 »
I'd find commonality items in the Unit per say, and go as AlphaMirage said, 1/3rd that in replacements. At best your using 1 ton of MG ammo total per Campaign, I don't know if I ever used all that in a setting or not? As that's a big BOOM if hit. Normally, I'd assign like Fifteen or so salvo shots each gun, the rest left behind. Same with SRM/LRMs, I mean it's 100/120 Missiles per ton, a 6 Pack has only 90 capacities... (Which is weird, because capturing said Ammo and using it in a 4 or even 2 Pack...  :smilie_confused_dontknow: )

To be honest, depending on the Cargo, it'll mostly be Autocannon and Missile ammos than replacement Energy weapons. Armor can be "salvaged/scrounged" in a campaign, Heavy Commercial is Standard Plate equivalent. Bringing FF is kind of wasted, but if you have the room for it...

Taking extra equipment like replacement Cockpits, might help, but only as a basic replacement. I've only ever ended up using that once, which surprised my other campaign players. (It shocked the GM, when I showed her my "replacement" parts and Ammo sheet in the beginning, that she approved, photocopied and returned back to me.) She was like, you don't have that... yes I do, look at your records... "Well I be damn, you did have it. Well played TT, well played. The rest of you are down a few or so mechs, TT has all his up and running...

So yeah, small things in the same weight range can help. Or a big one like a Cockpit can save a mech from going out, if you've got an extra Pilot on hand that is.

TT
« Last Edit: 06 April 2024, 17:45:22 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2024, 19:52:13 »
How do you guys figure out how much replacement equipment you need? At current I have 40 deployable light mechs with 2 extra spare mechs per deployable as light is more prone to being taken out. 2 spare reactors per light as XL is more likely to be damaged. One full spare gun allotment per light including those in storage.

Medium mech 40 deployable 40 spares heavy mech 20 deployable 20 spares. One spare reactor per unit one full spare gun allotment.

Mechs have a fifty percent spare pilot allotment.

VTOL 30 deployable of three combined types. As they are very vulnerable to damage four spare units for each deployed. One spare reactor for each. Double the ammount of deployed pilots due to risk of pilot death being higher. Spare gun set for each.

Fighters and bombers fifty percent spare frames. Full spare gun set per frame. Extra reactor per frame.

Fifty full reloads for anything using ammo. Aerospace and VTOL use heavy ferro fibrous 2000 tons allotted. Mechs use standard 1200 tons allotted.

As listed, this would be a major strategic reserve, rather than anything I'd use near combat.  A deep-space base with Dropships or cargo Warships would be how the above would be deployed.  Multiple fronts might use it to resupply for their smaller offensives.

My changes if you want to take this force near combat:
Mechs can be put together from parts very easily.  I'd drop it to maybe 1 spare Mech per 4.  Also double-check the Strategic Operations rules for engine repairs..

Spare Pilot allotment could be useful, as Pilot injuries can take time to heal.  Life is cheap, Mechs/ASF are expensive.  While those Mechwarriors are not in a Mech fighting, have them use Administration or similar skills to keep your unit operating.  If they don't have those extra skills, train them.

VTOLs do get shot down easily, so hopefully you use careful deployment to minimize the chances of anyone landing a hit (i.e. 9/14 fast-mover scouts with maybe an AC/2 rather than 6/9 snipers with Gauss Rifles).  Still, 4:1 spares:ready could be much too high.

Every cargo ton used for spare units is cargo tonnage not being used to keep the main force attacking.  For the VTOLS, it sounds like you want a total of 150 VTOLs and 60 sets of pilots.  Would you prefer to have 60 active VTOLs instead?

Which is better:
- fifty percent spare air frames
- 10% spare air frames and the extra tonnage for more active air frames/ammunition/fuel/armor.

I will admit, carrying the spares as cargo does save a lot of tonnage vs using Bays.  An active 15-ton VTOL takes up a 50-ton Light Vehicle Bay, but you are instead storing 4 of them as cargo takes up 60 tons.  An active Light Mech can take up an entire 150-ton Mech Bay, but storing 4 of them in cargo tonnage only takes up 80-100 tons (assuming 20-25 tons per Light Mech).

So you might have several Light and Medium 'Mechs in cargo storage, but the Heavy and Assault 'Mechs will likely be kept stored in their 'Mech Bays.

Should there be an ultra-light Vehicle Bay that only masses 20 tons, so a single Ferret or Crow VTOL doesn't take up a full 50 tons while being prepped for combat?

Similarly, the Clans would have an Omni-Bay.  Designing it would just be declaring how many Vehicle Bays it has and allocating total tonnage.  So a 4 & 200 setup could handle up to 4 vehicle or 200 tons, whichever limit is reached first.  One day it could be working on a pair of Mantis VTOLS and a pair of Schrek tanks, the next day it is working on four Strikers.

Primus203

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2024, 22:15:12 »
So first things first I know the number of units and spares may seem high. However first the group Im with thinks that the numbers of units are far to low in universe so this is bulked up. Second the warship in question is an extreme duration behind the lines raider with 8 years of parts for maintenance  and four years of crew consumables.

Blitz Raider Battlecruiser- a 1.2 million ton ship that trades firepower and armor for speed. Anything that can kill it hopefully cant match its 5\8 speed. Expensive with half of the cost coming from the lithium fusion battery probably only one ship. Has max dropships for long duration crusing.
Code: [Select]
Battlecruiser Heavy Blitz Raider
Mass: 1,200,000 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Introduced: 3065
Mass: 1,200,000
Battle Value: 130,146
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-X-F-F
Cost: 73,024,536,000 C-bills

Fuel: 20,000 tons (50,000)
Safe Thrust: 5
Maximum Thrust: 8
Sail Integrity: 6
KF Drive Integrity: 24
Heat Sinks: 4000 (8000)
Structural Integrity: 110

Armor
    Nose: 495
    Fore Sides: 434/434
    Aft Sides: 434/434
    Aft: 475

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Cargo (13898.5 tons)    2 Doors   

Ammunition:
None

Dropship Capacity: 24
Grav Decks: 5 (250 m, 250 m, 250 m, 250 m, 250 m)
Escape Pods: 0
Life Boats: 100
Crew:  64 officers, 356 enlisted/non-rated, 120 gunners, 50 BA marines

Notes: Equipped with
    lithium-fusion battery system
    1 Mobile Hyperpulse Generators (Mobile HPG)
    1 Satellite Imager (Hyperspectral Imager)
    1 Satellite Imager (Look-Down Radar)
    1 Naval Comm-Scanner Suite (Large)
    10 Space Mine Dispenser
2,640 tons of lamellor ferro-carbide armor.

Weapons:              Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat)        Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV      ERV    Class       
Nose (1,076 Heat)
4 Naval Laser 55  340  22(220) 22(220) 22(220) 22(220)  Capital Laser
2 Laser AMS       14    1(6)    0(0)    0(0)     0(0)   AMS         
FRS/FLS (764 Heat)
RBS/LBS (764 Heat)
ARS/ALS (764 Heat)
Aft (1,076 Heat)
Blitz Raider Cargo X 15- all drop ships for this ship are the same externaly except for the ground invader. Screen launcher is considered an important part of the defense.
Blitz Raider Dropship Cargo
Type: Military Spheriod
Mass: 50,000 tons
Use: Assault DropShip
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Mass: 50,000
Battle Value: 15,339
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-X-F-E
Cost: 1,553,736,800 C-bills

Dimensions
    Length: 200 meters
    Width: 90 meters
    Height: 30 meters

Fuel: 400 tons (4,000)
Heat Sinks: 450 (900)
Structural Integrity: 80

Armor
    Nose: 794
    Sides: 794/794
    Aft: 794

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Fighter (1)             1 Door   
    Bay 2:  Cargo (20291.5 tons)    3 Doors   

Ammunition:
    60 rounds of Screen Launcher ammunition (600 tons)

Life Boats: 10
Crew:  8 officers, 6 enlisted/non-rated, 32 gunners, 2 bay personnel

Notes: Mounts 288 tons of heavy ferro-aluminum armor.

Weapons:                             Capital Attack Values (Standard)
Arc (Heat)                       Heat  SRV     MRV     LRV     ERV   Class       
Nose (138 Heat)
1 Screen Launcher                10   2(15)    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)  Screen Launcher
    Screen Launcher Ammo (10 shots)
1 Sub-Capital Laser /1           24   1(10)   1(10)   1(10)    0(0)  Sub-Capital Laser
1 Sub-Capital Laser /1           24   1(10)   1(10)   1(10)    0(0)  Sub-Capital Laser
2 Laser AMS                      14    1(6)    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)  AMS         
RS/LS Fwd (138 Heat)
1 Screen Launcher                10   2(15)    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)  Screen Launcher
RS/LS Aft (138 Heat)
Aft (138 Heat)
Blitz Raider Carrier X 2- Carries a half and half mix of fighters and bombers.
Blitz Raider Dropship Carrier
Cost: 1,604,192,800 C-bills

Dimensions

Fuel: 2,400 tons (24,000)

Armor

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Fighter (40)            7 Doors   
    Bay 2:  Cargo (11173.0 tons)    1 Door   

Ammunition:

Life Boats: 35
Crew:  10 officers, 14 enlisted/non-rated, 32 gunners, 80 bay personnel

Nose (138 Heat)
RS/LS Fwd (138 Heat)
RS/LS Aft (138 Heat)
Aft (138 Heat)
Dagger Fighter
Dagger Air Superiority Aero

Mass: 55 tons
Frame: Unknown
Power Plant: 275 XL
Armor: Heavy Ferro-Aluminum
Armament:
     6 ER Medium Laser
     1 Anti-Missile System
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3060
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-E-D
Cost: 7,817,131 C-bills

Type: Dagger Air Superiority
Tonnage: 55
Battle Value: 2,043

Equipment                                          Mass
Engine                        275 XL                  8
Safe Thrust: 7
Max Thrust: 11
Structural Integrity:         7                       
Heat Sinks:                   16 [32]                 6
Fuel:                         680                   8.5
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor (Heavy Ferro)    367                  18.5

Armor   
                           Value   
     Nose                    92   
     Wings                 92/92   
     Aft                     91   

Weapons
and Ammo                        Location   Tonnage  Heat   SRV  MRV  LRV  ERV
4 ER Medium Laser                 NOS       4.0      5      5    5    0    0 
ER Medium Laser                   RWG       1.0      5      5    5    0    0 
Anti-Missile System Ammo (12)     FSLG      1.0      -      -    -    -    - 
ECM Suite                         FSLG      1.5      -      -    -    -    - 
Targeting Computer                FSLG      2.0      -      -    -    -    - 
ER Medium Laser                   LWG       1.0      5      5    5    0    0 
Anti-Missile System               AFT       0.5      1      3    0    0    0 
Space Lancer Omnifighter- An omni version of my space lancer has a bomber loadout and a ground attack loadout.
Space Lancer Blitz Omni Variant PPC

Mass: 100 tons
Frame: Lancer
Power Plant: 200 Light Lancer
Armor: Ferro-Aluminum
Armament:
     1 Laser AMS
     27.0 tons of pod space
Manufacturer: Custom Aerospace
     Primary Factory: Custom Areospace
Introduction Year: 3065
Cost: 21,718,125 C-bills

Type: Space Lancer
Tonnage: 100
Battle Value: 2,769

Engine                        300 XL                9.5
Max Thrust: 8
Structural Integrity:         10                       
Heat Sinks:                   25 [50]                15
Fuel:                         800                  10.0
Armor Factor (Ferro)          465                    26

Armor   
                           Value   
     Nose                   140   
     Wings                116/116 
     Aft                     93   

Fixed Equipment
Location                      Fixed               Tonnage
Nose                          Laser AMS             1.5

Weapons
and Ammo              Location   Tonnage  Heat   SRV  MRV  LRV  ERV
3 ER PPC                NOS       21.0     15    10   10   10    0 
Targeting Computer      FSLG      6.0      -      -    -    -    - 
Space Lancer Blitz Omni Variant Bomber

Frame: Lancer
Power Plant: 200 Light Lancer
Armor: Ferro-Aluminum
Armament:
     1 Laser AMS
Manufacturer: Custom Aerospace
     Primary Factory: Custom Areospace
Cost: 19,749,375 C-bills

Type: Space Lancer
Battle Value: 1,593

Max Thrust: 8
Structural Integrity:         10                       
Heat Sinks:                   10 [20]                 0
Fuel:                         800                  10.0
Armor Factor (Ferro)          465                    26

Armor   
                           Value   
     Nose                   140   
     Wings                116/116 
     Aft                     93   

Fixed Equipment
Location                      Fixed               Tonnage
Nose                          Laser AMS             1.5

Weapons
Blitz Raider Oiler X 3
Blitz Raider Dropship Oiler
Cost: 1,656,200,000 C-bills

Dimensions

Fuel: 18,500 tons (185,000)

Armor

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Cargo (2000.5 tons)     1 Door   

Ammunition:

Crew:  8 officers, 6 enlisted/non-rated, 32 gunners

Nose (138 Heat)
RS/LS Fwd (138 Heat)
RS/LS Aft (138 Heat)
Aft (138 Heat)
Blitz Raider Privateer X 2- Carries 600 units of battlearmor meant to take ships or stations. Launch force is to be covered by a combination of screen launchers and anti electronics arrows.
Blitz Raider Dropship Privateer
Cost: 1,703,936,640 C-bills

Dimensions

Fuel: 720 tons (7,200)

Armor

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Small Craft (20)        5 Doors   
    Bay 2:  BattleArmor (IS) (100)  2 Doors   
    Bay 3:  Cargo (6593.5 tons)     1 Door   

Ammunition:

Crew:  48 officers, 166 enlisted/non-rated, 32 gunners, 700 bay personnel

Nose (138 Heat)
RS/LS Fwd (138 Heat)
RS/LS Aft (138 Heat)
Aft (138 Heat)
Blitz Raider Small Craft
Boarding Craft Blitz Raider
Mass: 200 tons
Mass: 200
Battle Value: 3,222
Cost: 24,992,650 C-bills

Fuel: 7.5 tons (600)
Heat Sinks: 10 (20)
Structural Integrity: 20

Armor
    Nose: 341
    Sides: 288/288
    Aft: 234

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Cargo (3.0 tons)        1 Door   

Ammunition:
    72 rounds of Anti-Missile System [IS] ammunition (6 tons)

Life Boats: 0
Crew:  1 officer, 2 enlisted/non-rated

Notes: Mounts 54 tons of heavy ferro-aluminum armor.

Weapons
Anti-Missile System    Aft R      0.5      1      3    0    0    0 
Anti-Missile System     Nose      0.5      1      3    0    0    0 
Anti-Missile System    Fwd R      0.5      1      3    0    0    0 
Anti-Missile System    Fwd L      0.5      1      3    0    0    0 
Anti-Missile System     Aft       0.5      1      3    0    0    0 
Anti-Missile System    Aft L      0.5      1      3    0    0    0 
ECM Suite               Hull      1.5      -      -    -    -    - 
continued next post

Primus203

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2024, 22:15:35 »
continued
Blitz Raider Invader X 2- Only dropship with external differences. Adds ten ER PPC per side face for ground defense and a ten gun long tom battery to the top.
Blitz Raider Dropship Invader
Battle Value: 30,913
Cost: 2,096,908,800 C-bills

Dimensions

Fuel: 400 tons (4,000)

Armor

Cargo
    Bay 1:  Fighter (12)            1 Door   
    Bay 2:  Mech (20)               2 Doors   
    Bay 3:  Mech (20)               2 Doors   
    Bay 4:  Light Vehicle (30)      2 Doors   
    Bay 5:  Cargo (7028.5 tons)     1 Door   

Ammunition:
    500 rounds of Long Tom ammunition (100 tons),

Life Boats: 30
Crew:  15 officers, 24 enlisted/non-rated, 33 gunners, 254 bay personnel

Nose (338 Heat)
10 Long Tom                      200   0(0)    0(0)    0(0)    0(0)  Artillery   
    Long Tom Ammo (500 shots)
RS/LS Fwd (288 Heat)
1 ER PPC                         15   1(10)   1(10)   1(10)    0(0)  PPC         
RS/LS Aft (288 Heat)
Aft (138 Heat)
Omni Urbanmech Custom- A slightly larger urbie frame at 35 tons due to compact quirk the ten bay allotted per dropship have 20. Split into 5 lances two HPPC carriers and one each lb-x and med laser per lance.
Med laser Loadout
Urbanmech Scout URB-Blitz-Variant M Laser

Mass: 35 tons
Chassis: Urbanmech
Power Plant: 240 Super XL
Cruising Speed: 86.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 129.6 kph
Jump Jets: None
     Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     12.0 tons of pod space
Manufacturer: Custom Mechs
     Primary Factory: Custom Mechs
Cost: 10,872,450 C-bills

History
An Customized Urbanmech designed by a lucky and crazy urbie pilot who made a bunch of money but didnt want to stop using the urbie this was his compromise.

Type: Urbanmech Scout
Tonnage: 35
Battle Value: 1,437

Internal Structure            Endo Steel              2
Engine                        280 XL                  8
Walking MP: 8
Running MP: 12
Jumping MP: 0
Double Heat Sink              13 [26]                 3
XL Gyro                                             1.5
Armor Factor                  119                   7.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         9     
     Center Torso            11        17   
     Center Torso (rear)               5     
     R/L Torso               8         12   
     R/L Torso (rear)                  4     
     R/L Arm                 6         12   
     R/L Leg                 8         16   

Weight and Space Allocation
Location                      Fixed               Space Remaining
Head                          Endo Steel              0
Center Torso                  None                    0
Right Torso                   6 Endo Steel            3
                              3 XL Engine             
Left Torso                    3 Endo Steel            6
                              3 XL Engine             
Right Arm                     None                    8
Left Arm                      None                    8
Right Leg                     2 Endo Steel            0
Left Leg                      2 Endo Steel            0

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo              Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
Double Heat Sink         RT        3        -       1.0   
4 Medium Laser           LA        4        3       4.0   
Double Heat Sink         LT        3        -       1.0   
Targeting Computer       LT        2        -       2.0   
4 Medium Laser           RA        4        3       4.0   
HPPC loadout- Removes all med lasers to mount a HPPC

LB-X 2 loadout- Replaces med lasers for an LB-X 2 with two tons of ammo, case, two er med lasers, and a single RL-10.

UrbanGuardian
UrbanGuardian Urb-EX-88

Mass: 60 tons
Chassis: Urbanmech
Power Plant: 240 Super XL
Cruising Speed: 54 kph
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph
Armament:
     1 ER PPC
     5 ER Medium Laser
     1 Laser AMS
Manufacturer: Custom Mechs
     Primary Factory: Custom Mechs
Cost: 14,962,560 C-bills

Type: UrbanGuardian
Tonnage: 60
Battle Value: 1,989

Internal Structure                                    6
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Double Heat Sink              18 [36]                 8
Gyro                                                  3
Armor Factor                  201                    13

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Center Torso            20        30   
     Center Torso (rear)               10   
     R/L Torso               14        21   
     R/L Torso (rear)                  7     
     R/L Arm                 10        20   
     R/L Leg                 14        28   

Weapons
2 Double Heat Sink       RT        6        -       2.0   
Targeting Computer       RT        2        -       3.0   
Double Heat Sink         LA        3        -       1.0   
5 ER Medium Laser        LA        5        5       5.0   
3 Double Heat Sink       LT        9        -       3.0   
PPC Capacitor            RA        1        -       1.0   
Laser AMS                RA        2        7       1.5   
ER PPC                   RA        3        15      7.0   

UrbanKnight- A pair of heavy 100 ton mechs originally designed to support a superheavy mech
White Knight
UrbanKnight White Knight

Chassis: Standard Biped
Power Plant: 300 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Jump Jets: Standard
     Jump Capacity: 60 meters
Armament:
     4 Rocket Launcher 10
     1 Laser AMS
     2 Heavy PPC
Introduction Year: 3070
Cost: 15,424,000 C-bills

Type: UrbanKnight
Battle Value: 2,386

Internal Structure                                   10
Engine                        300 Fusion             19
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Jumping MP: 2
Double Heat Sink              21 [42]                11
Compact Gyro                                        4.5
Armor Factor                  304                    19

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Center Torso            31        46   
     Center Torso (rear)               15   
     R/L Torso               21        32   
     R/L Torso (rear)                  10   
     R/L Arm                 17        33   
     R/L Leg                 21        42   

Weapons
Jump Jet                 LL        1        -       2.0   
Rocket Launcher 10       LL        1        3       0.5   
Laser AMS                CT        2        7       1.5   
3 Double Heat Sink       RT        9        -       3.0   
Targeting Computer     CT/RT      2/3       -       5.0   
Heavy PPC                LA        4        15      10.0 
Double Heat Sink         LA        3        -       1.0   
Rocket Launcher 10       LA        1        3       0.5   
4 Double Heat Sink       LT        12       -       4.0   
Jump Jet                 RL        1        -       2.0   
Rocket Launcher 10       RL        1        3       0.5   
Heavy PPC                RA        4        15      10.0 
Double Heat Sink         RA        3        -       1.0   
Rocket Launcher 10       RA        1        3       0.5   
Black Knight
UrbanKnight Black Knight

Chassis: Standard Biped
Power Plant: 300 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Armament:
     1 ER PPC
     2 LB 2-X AC
     1 LRM 15
     1 Flamer
     2 Anti-Missile System
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-X-F-X
Cost: 16,639,400 C-bills

Type: UrbanKnight
Battle Value: 2,094

Internal Structure                                   10
Engine                        300 Fusion             19
Walking MP: 3
Running MP: 5
Double Heat Sink              14 [28]                 4
XL Gyro                                             1.5
Armor Factor                  280                  17.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Center Torso            31        43   
     Center Torso (rear)               14   
     R/L Torso               21        30   
     R/L Torso (rear)                  9     
     R/L Arm                 17        30   
     R/L Leg                 21        38   

Weapons
and Ammo                           Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
LRM 15 Thunder-Inferno Ammo (4)       RT        1        -       1.0   
LRM 15 Mine Clearance Ammo (8)        RT        1        -       1.0   
LRM 15 Smoke Ammo (8)                 RT        1        -       1.0   
Artemis IV FCS                        RT        1        -       1.0   
Angel ECM Suite                       RT        2        -       2.0   
LRM 15                                RT        3        5       7.0   
CASE II                               RT        1        -       1.0   
LRM 15 Artemis-capable Ammo (16)      RT        2        -       2.0   
2 LB 2-X AC                           LA        8        1       12.0 
Anti-Missile System Ammo (24)         LT        2        -       2.0   
LB 2-X Cluster Ammo (180)             LT        4        -       4.0   
Double Heat Sink                      LT        3        -       1.0   
CASE II                               LT        1        -       1.0   
2 Anti-Missile System                 LT        2        1       1.0   
Armored Cowl                          HD        1        -       1.0   
Double Heat Sink                      RA        3        -       1.0   
Flamer                                RA        1        3       1.0   
ER PPC                                RA        3        15      7.0   
VTOL three different units in a 3:1:1 ratio of ER PPC, LB-X, and scout.
PPC VTOL
Heavy Attack Heli ER PPC Variant

Mass: 35 tons
Movement Type: VTOL
Power Plant: 165 XL
Cruising Speed: 108 kph
Maximum Speed: 162 kph
Armor: Heavy Ferro-Fibrous
Armament:
     1 ER PPC
Cost: 4,766,667 C-bills

Type: Heavy Attack Heli
Tonnage: 35
Battle Value: 938

Internal Structure                                    7
Engine                        165 XL                4.5
Cruising MP: 10
Flank MP: 15
Heat Sinks:                   15                      5
Control Equipment:                                  2.0
Lift Equipment:                                     3.5
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Armor Factor (Heavy Ferro)    79                      4

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   4         20   
     R/L Side               4/4      19/19   
     Rear                    4         19   
     Rotor                   4         2     

Weapons
and Ammo              Location    Tonnage   
ER PPC                 Front        7.0     
Targeting Computer       BD         2.0     
LB-X Vtol
Attack Heli LB-X 2 Ambush Variant

Mass: 25 tons
Power Plant: 160 XL
Cruising Speed: 129.6 kph
Maximum Speed: 194.4 kph
Armament:
     1 LB 2-X AC
Cost: 2,788,072 C-bills

Type: Attack Heli
Tonnage: 25
Battle Value: 422

Internal Structure                                  2.5
Engine                        160 XL                4.5
Cruising MP: 12
Flank MP: 18
Heat Sinks:                   10                      0
Control Equipment:                                  1.5
Lift Equipment:                                     2.5
Armor Factor (Heavy Ferro)    69                    3.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   3         17   
     R/L Side               3/3      17/17   
     Rear                    3         16   
     Rotor                   3         2     

Weapons
and Ammo                   Location    Tonnage   
LB 2-X AC                   Front        6.0     
CASE                         Body        0.5     
LB 2-X Cluster Ammo (90)     Body        2.0     
Targeting Computer            BD         2.0     
Scout VTOL
Attack Heli ER L Laser + Scout Variant

Mass: 25 tons
Power Plant: 160 XL
Cruising Speed: 129.6 kph
Maximum Speed: 194.4 kph
Armament:
     1 ER Large Laser
Cost: 2,918,056 C-bills

Type: Attack Heli
Tonnage: 25
Battle Value: 835

Internal Structure                                  2.5
Engine                        160 XL                4.5
Cruising MP: 12
Flank MP: 18
Heat Sinks:                   12                      2
Control Equipment:                                  1.5
Lift Equipment:                                     2.5
Armor Factor (Heavy Ferro)    79                      4

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   3         20   
     R/L Side               3/3      19/19   
     Rear                    3         19   
     Rotor                   3         2     

Weapons
and Ammo                   Location    Tonnage   
ER Large Laser              Front        5.0     
Remote Sensors/Dispenser     Body        0.5     
Recon Camera                 Body        0.5     
Targeting Computer            BD         2.0     

At current cargo tonnage available is 374095 tons. Minus 8 years of parts and 4 of crew consumables were left with 77375 tons. Subtracting a single full fleet set of screen launcher reloads and replacement ship armor im left with 54975 free tons. Adding spare units im down to 42825 tons for ammo and replacement components for ground forces.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 07 April 2024, 02:02:54 »
One of the only issues I have is actually playing the game.  Setting up lots of spares and stuff, 40 deep per weight class with all the spare, at that scale actually playing the game becomes difficult.

Like, is the opfor allowed to bomb your base?  What happens when those big droppers fail a landing PSR and break their gear, leading to a cascade ending in a total crash?  At that large of a scale, there is less and less gameplay and more talking about 'what happens' with no game involved.

It's why I like company or smaller campaign games, working out of a single dropship.  Easy company in band of brothers was part of something much greater, but it was the companies story we followed.  If we had an episode for everyone in the regiment, the show would never tell a cohesive story.

Like, could you pare back to just 1 company among the fleet and regiments of mechs, and give those 12 units a full break down.  If they are out of spares, eventually the regiment will send more, but they have to "work with what they have" for now.  Once you flesh out this one company, it can be a template for the rest of the force, but only in a "3rd company is driving south, today your job is to hold this ridge and secure their flank until 3rd company completes its move and establoshes a point of controll" "But major my unit used half of its 20 tons of ammo, and are down 2 mechs.  When will we get rotated back for rest amd refit?"

This way logistics still matter, but you are only managing what a single company totes around, and you can play lots of games with said company that actually get played, unlike the 200+ mech units the full navy is pushing around.  Ship design likewise becomes more accessible: you fully flesh out 1 company, and just set aside that block of space for the navy.  Then you just copy that block.  If your company requires X tons, and you want a regiment, well you need x * 10 or so in transport.

Primus203

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2024, 03:01:45 »
DevianID this force could still do that with the excuse that as raiders the forces are split up unless necessary. In the time of band of brothers a squad should have been thirteen men with two urbie lances and one vtol lance which is five vtol we arrive at thirteen units for our group.

For certain missions a heavy or medium lance could be attached and the opportunity for saving bogged down lances would exist as well as the calvary of a massed carrier airstrike at critical times.

Also would be a partial story of protect the radioman ie the scout with the recon camera who can more accurately call down ortillery or if lucky enough to be close to dropship massed long tom fire. 

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2024, 03:18:56 »
That sounds like a fun base unit to play some games.  Putting 8 urbanmechs on the table is not nearly as complex as normal mechs, and as urbanmechs take losses its the kind of unit you can justifying having by the dozen in backups.  The guest medium or heavy or scout units let you play with more of your collection, as they attach for a mission, and you don't have to micromanage their logistics--thats some other companies problem.

I do worry 8 urbanmechs will get boring after a few games, and vtols are a bit finicky and time intensive for movement.  Maybe a less extreme company setup would let you play lance sized games a bit easier... My point was to make an "average everybody" company to micromanage, and then use to copy/paste to fill out the behind the scenes transport needs based on 1 fully kitted/crafted, but average, company.

Mechanis

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 07 April 2024, 10:23:08 »
Point of order vis a vis Quarters, there is actually a reason to  not just shove everything in Steerage, specifically the morale rules- those also cover "fighting fitness/readiness" and poor morale is, well, bad.

It's also important to remember that, while various bays have "free" quarters you should never, ever, *ever* use them, because they take an order of magnitude more supplies; with actual quarters a single ton of supplies per person lasts 200 days, in bay quarters it only lasts 20.

As far as supplies goes, the general rule of thumb I personally use is that a BattleMech should have 100-120 tons of parts, ammo, spare weapons etc per 2-4 engagements it is expected to participate in before the ship is resupplied, vees and ASF/CFs should be 150-200 tons, and Small Craft between 120 & 150 tons. Infantry should generally be 2-5 tons per trooper for CIs and twice that for BA.

Also please remember that everything that isn't a CI foot or jump platoon needs one tech and seven AsTechs, the latter of which are just flat out ignored by basically every canon design.
Long story short, when you are designing a WarShip you need to pick a role and stick with it, not try to be a Troopship-supply tender-battleship-carrier-whatever, because if you try to cram that many extremely divergent functions into one hull it *will* end up bad at some to all of them.
If you expect it to fight other WarShips, you should devote no greater than 10% of its mass to cargo after fuel, ship spares, and crew supplies; conversely if you want a troop carrier or supply tender all that is required is a modest array of perhaps some NLs with CIWS as backup.

And while we're on the subject, do not neglect your Blake-damned CIWS. Always ensure that each location has a few paired Large Laser mounts, some trio LRM 20s, and either Small Laser hex mounts or paired AMS (with 10 or more tons of ammo *each*) for missile defense and anti fighter tasking. Optional mounts include singleton PPCs, AC/2 hex mounts, single or triple Gauss Rifle mounts, quad LGRs, singleton iHGRs, Thunderbolt 20s, or Long Tom Cannons, and triple ELRM 20s.
Note also that an Artemis'd LRM 15 can sub for a 20.
Add ER or Artemis to taste.

Do not use: RACs, ultras, LBX Antocannons, medium lasers, SRM launchers, Heavy Gauss Rifles, PPC capacitors, etc; do not pile weapons with different ranges in the same bay, do not pile all your anti-missile or fighter weapons in one bay, and I cannot overstate this, carry enough heat sinks to fire everything simultaneously, with a generous reserve if you have AMS, because -Especially with Freezers!- the amount of mass this requires is trivial.

Register