Author Topic: Wooden Frames for the Old-School Blueprints  (Read 17011 times)

abou

• Captain
Wooden Frames for the Old-School Blueprints
« on: 19 July 2019, 12:56:02 »
Something I've wanted to do for a long time was to create wooden frames for my set of blueprints. I thought now might be the right time. Since I am doing everything by hand tools, this will be a fairly long project to get done; however, I wanted to document this as I go: both to show how it is done and keep me motivated. For the woods, I have chosen:

BattleMaster: red mulberry
Marauder: spalted maple
Warhammer: black walnut
Wasp: quartersawn red oak
Locust: black cherry

I did consider using black locust for the Locust, but that wood is apparently very difficult to work. We will see though. If I can find the wood I might give it a go.

The first one up is the BattleMaster. I chose the mulberry because I actually have the wood in my basement. Two years ago a massive branch from the mulberry tree in my backyard fell. It was large enough to have it cut into boards. I didn't know what I wanted to do with them because branch wood can be very twisty with interlocked grain, but this seemed like a good project to start. What is more, after going through the pile of wood, there is less there that is usable to me than I thought. Two boards I had originally picked turned out to be unusable as the pith was running through them -- that usually means the board will twist along its access as it moves. There was also a lot of sapwood in the boards that I had to cut around. So all in all, the minimal wood needed for the frames seems to be a good choice overall.

Mulberry is also the hardest wood I have access to, practically doesn't rot, and has this really nice gold color that mellows to a rich brown. The stuff is about 25% harder than white oak and five times harder than pine. So that seemed appropriate for an assault 'mech.

abou

• Captain
Re: Wooden Frames for the Old-School Blueprints
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2019, 13:00:13 »
I finally managed to find the boards after picking through the pile of mulberry that would suit. My vintage, 19th century Disston  #5 is a monster and makes short work of the rip cuts. I just got this saw off eBay and am super happy with it. It took me a bit to figure how I wanted the grain to appear and how to make the cuts, but I am happy with what I chose. For the meantime, I'll be letting the wood relax for a few days. I may still have to change my mind as the wood continues to move now that the stresses are released.

Next up, I'll be surfacing the four sides of each board and then cutting to final length before doing the joinery.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2019, 15:11:02 »
What a great project! I got my Leviathans recognition poster professionally framed, as I lack the skills to do it like you are doing it. Looking forward to the wonderful results!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2019, 20:10:37 »
Thanks! I hope everything works well. I suddenly realized that I might not have enough boards of mulberry if I make a mistake; so I am a bit nervous.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2019, 12:32:46 »
Progress with the mulberry has been slow. The wood is dense -- really dense -- and the wavy grain makes tear-out with the plane tricky to correct. I've attached some pictures to show what I'm talking about. You can see around the knot on the face the chunks of wood missing. The second picture shows the edge of the board and the way the grain moves up and down, which is what contributes to tear out. The third shows the correction after a few passes with a finely tuned smoothing plane.

I've only done three sides of the rails so far. Because the wood is so wacky, I'm not sure what the final thickness will be until I flatten the faces of the styles. The wood is beautiful, but I'm already looking forward to working straight-grained material again.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2019, 21:43:31 by abou »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2019, 13:55:14 »
Wacky indeed... no wonder we don't see very much made out of the stuff...

abou

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2019, 23:29:11 »
Update: I have three boards surfaced on three sides. That last one though has given me a lot of trouble. As you can see on the back side there is a large knot where a small branch grew. I had planed the back face of it relatively flat so that the board would not flex excessively when planing what would be my show face. Only problem is that the grain changed direction right in the middle of the board. I tried, and tried... and tried some more... I just could not get this board flat, without twist, and without awful tear-out. Basically tear-out happens when the blade goes against the direction of the grain, which causes it to split down into the wood and then break off. Not fun.

So I said the hell with it and laid out for a new style and cut it out fueled by anger and frustration. I'm told the trunk wood is straight grained. I think this will be the last time I work with branch wood despite how visually appealing it is.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2019, 19:55:39 »
Two of four joints done and cut. The layout of the tenon is particularly difficult sine there are so many different surfaces. This is not helped by the changing grain direction in this branch wood. My planes are hard to keep square to the work as a result of this. In the end though, it won't matter because all the nasty stuff will (hopefully) be hidden.

One of the big things I learned about hand tool work is to not waste time on stuff that isn't going to be seen. The back doesn't have to be pretty because no one is going to see it. As long as the joints on the front close up nicely and are flush, you're good. I plan on using dowels to peg everything together, and they'll be offset to close that joint. Then I can plane everything flat on the front.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2019, 03:41:09 »
Considering the challenges, you're doing great!
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

abou

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2019, 20:01:49 »
Assembled the frame today. I used offset pegs in the mortise & tenon joints to bring everything together. This joint will never come apart and is incredibly rigid.

And the best part? It came together square.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2019, 21:25:58 »
Nice!  :thumbsup:

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #11 on: 08 August 2019, 07:28:59 »
Assembled the frame today. I used offset pegs in the mortise & tenon joints to bring everything together. This joint will never come apart and is incredibly rigid.

And the best part? It came together square.

That looks so nice! Have you decided on a finish (lacquer, shellac, etc.)?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

abou

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2019, 13:21:48 »
Thanks guys.

For the finish, I like the Tried & True products. Since this will be a hanging piece, I'm not too worried about how resistant it is to scratches. And with the color of this wood, the linseed oil will really make the wood pop.

So my plan is a coat of linseed oil followed by two coats of varnish, which is linseed oil with pine resins. Finally, I'll do a coat of beeswax polish.

I am also thinking of sealing the rabbet with some spray shellac to protect the frame from any tannins in the wood. I'm concerned for yellowing of the paper and want to do my best to protect from that.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2019, 22:46:13 »
Styles cut to length, edges eased, and the first coat of oil on. This wood may have been a bear to work with; some of the boards may not be the dimensions I originally planned on; and I have serious concerns of movement over the years... but... it does look nice with that first application of linseed oil.

So the plan now is that in the next 1 to 2 weeks I'll have finished all the coats of oil, have it dry, get the glass in, and apply the hardware.

Almost there.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2019, 04:41:22 »
The oil does make it look nice!  Can't wait to see how the other coats look!  :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 15 August 2019, 18:40:57 »
Indeed! Love the grain.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2019, 20:08:57 »
Rough layout for the spalted maple frame. These boards are kind of twisty so we will see what happens. But the colors, man!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2019, 21:12:05 »
Colors indeed!  I can't wait to see what that looks like oiled!  :thumbsup:

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #18 on: 22 August 2019, 07:09:45 »
Styles cut to length, edges eased, and the first coat of oil on. This wood may have been a Ghost bear to work with;

FTFY. ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

abou

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 23 August 2019, 09:37:09 »
FTFY. ;)

Is there a groan emoticon?

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #20 on: 26 August 2019, 09:12:03 »
Is there a groan emoticon?

Don't worry, that emoticon follows me wherever I go.
Be the Loremaster:

abou

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2019, 22:27:30 »
Not too much new. I cut the boards to a rough width and flattened the faces. By cutting them close to their final dimensions, it helped to reduce the amount of work needed to remove the twist in the boards. And all four were pretty twisted. I don't remember if they were like that at the sawmill or if that is what a month in my basement did to them.

Anyway, there is some really nice figure in the top rail. That curl is just to die for with the blue from the spalting. Plus, the grain is straight and so much easier to work with than the branch wood from the red mulberry. It's like cutting through butter. This is one of the soft maples -- like sugar maple or red maple. Still plenty hard, but a joy to work.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 27 August 2019, 03:30:41 »
The piece on the right is pretty handsome too!  :thumbsup:

abou

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 09 September 2019, 07:25:27 »
I decided to alter how I formed the rabbets for the styles. Previously I ran them all the way through the length of the board, which made forming the mortise & tenon joints much trickier. Here, I tried forming stopped rabbets using a bullnose plane. It worked fairly well, but was time consuming. Something to think about for improving the next one. Power tool guys would just take a power router, run it around the frame once it is assembled, and chisel the corners square.

Also, a coat of oil before assembling just to make the colors pop.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #24 on: 09 September 2019, 07:40:19 »
 :thumbsup:
Be the Loremaster:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 09 September 2019, 17:04:35 »
Pop indeed!  Loving those colors!  :thumbsup:

abou

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2019, 18:41:21 »
Oh damn, what's this?

Currently hanging in a very temporary location.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 11 September 2019, 18:46:49 »
Gorgeous!  :thumbsup:

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #28 on: 12 September 2019, 06:09:57 »
Those are niiiice.
Be the Loremaster:

abou

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 12 September 2019, 12:47:06 »
Thank you, gentlemen!

Here is the Marauder frame. I still have a couple coats of oil to apply, but you get the idea. Just hope the boards are oriented the best for color.

Register