Author Topic: Combat Manual Lite series, Beta  (Read 134162 times)

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
Re: Combat Manual Lite series, Beta
« Reply #90 on: 14 January 2019, 11:33:08 »
Thanks Hussar2!  The only one I didn't add was the Hermes HER-4K. That's a Kurita model and the MUL only lists DC.

My bad. I mixed it up with the 2K which is a Marik model that we don't have a record sheet for.
By the way. the early clan invasion list goes to 3054?  If so we need to add a lot of 3055 designs to it For example the Snake for Liao.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #91 on: 14 January 2019, 11:38:13 »
The confusion is completely understandable... Sarna even cites it specifically in the Hermes II entry (under the HER-4K variant).

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 14 January 2019, 12:03:10 »
My bad. I mixed it up with the 2K which is a Marik model that we don't have a record sheet for.
By the way. the early clan invasion list goes to 3054?  If so we need to add a lot of 3055 designs to it For example the Snake for Liao.

It covers what happens to commands through 3054. Availability is limited to what came out 3052 or earlier.  Putting a bunch if units that came out in 3053 doesn’t really describe the early clan invasion. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 14 January 2019, 13:08:20 »
Invading clans, Marik and Liao links have been updated.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 14 January 2019, 15:20:08 »
Lets try Clan Wolf:
page 54 4th Wolf Guards change nickname to"The Cyclops Cluster"
Page 55  According to Objective Raids 37th Stiker is not part of Delta (or listed at all). Rotated to homeworlds?
Page 55 24th Wolf Rangers Either Raised after 3052 or rotated from homeworlds after 3052
Page 55 4th Striker Didn't move to Alpha Galaxy. According to Objective Raids still part of Delta. There is 4th Wolf Guards Striker that is part of Alpha in Objective Raids. Since both are listed on the same page it seems to be a different cluster but  there is no other mention of the 4th Guards Striker (As far as I know) so I am not certain.
page 56 According to Objective Raids 7th Battle and 16th Battle are not part of Gamma (or listed at all). Rotated to homeworlds?

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: 16 January 2019, 16:13:37 »
A look at Clan Nova Cat:
page 32 common enemies change Nova Cat to something else
page 32 "Special Rules: All Clan Smoke Jaguar" change to Nova cat
page 32 Nova Cat Keshik is not part of Alpha Galaxy but an independent unit
page 32  Add Galaxy comand supernova (The vision keshik)
Page 33 under 4th Nova Cat Regulars change Omnicron to Omicron
I can't seem to Find Sigma Galaxy (perhaps Beta in some sources) (Lachesis Keshik, 179th Striker, 44th Nova Cat Cavaliers That were moved to Delta After Tukayyid, The Nova Cat Lancers And Later 100th Striker and 189th Striker
Page 35 do we have any information on the 3rd Nova Cat regulars?
Is there a list of clusters for Kappa Rho and Upsilon Galaxies?
Page 36 change Omnicron Galaxy to Omicron
Page 38 change 2nd Garrison to 3rd Garrison

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 16 January 2019, 16:51:37 »
Beta/Sigma's in my notes, and I remember Lachesis Keshik...and you're right it's not in the there. Maybe if I squint at it just right????  (Or maybe I just need to type it in, I hate when I'm "sure" I did it, but it's clearly not done...)

I made up (all?)of Kappa Galaxy.  And most of Upsilon and Rho. One of the three had no mentions of who was in it before it was destroyed, and the other two only had one cluster mentioned for each.  So that left a lot to make up.

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #97 on: 16 January 2019, 17:05:12 »
Beta/Sigma's in my notes, and I remember Lachesis Keshik...and you're right it's not in the there. Maybe if I squint at it just right????  (Or maybe I just need to type it in, I hate when I'm "sure" I did it, but it's clearly not done...)

I made up (all?)of Kappa Galaxy.  And most of Upsilon and Rho. One of the three had no mentions of who was in it before it was destroyed, and the other two only had one cluster mentioned for each.  So that left a lot to make up.

Are the other suggestions About Wolf and Nova Cat seem right to you?
I must say that only now I realise what a stupefyingly difficult job you have undertaken here. It's just a shame this won't be printed. I am not an Alpha Strike player and yet the Combat Manuals are such great products... 

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 16 January 2019, 17:13:57 »
Yeah, I think it's updated with the Wolf and Nova Cat changes you've suggested.  Unless I've said something here.

speaking of which, the original post now has the updated Invading Clans link.  (with Wolf and Nova Cat changes).

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #99 on: 16 January 2019, 22:38:30 »
did i miss something or did Paul Masters not get a mention in the FWL list? He was a Lieutenant in the 1st Marik Militia starting in 3030 and his custom pixie has an intro date of 3051. no idea what he drove before that.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 16 January 2019, 23:18:25 »
did i miss something or did Paul Masters not get a mention in the FWL list? He was a Lieutenant in the 1st Marik Militia starting in 3030 and his custom pixie has an intro date of 3051. no idea what he drove before that.

Want to suggest some SPAs for him?  Is there anything on his skills?

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #101 on: 17 January 2019, 08:51:53 »
Can I ask whether the Shock Cavalry or Urban Combat formations are supposed to be Liao only?  Or one of them?  The other Manuals have one exclusive and one new general formation.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 17 January 2019, 09:11:11 »
Nope.   I mean, you can and did ask, but no neither of those are Liao only. They were going to have augmented lances as Liao only but 1) not appropriate
To pre-3055 and 2) they didn’t really do anything.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #103 on: 17 January 2019, 12:53:32 »
Want to suggest some SPAs for him?  Is there anything on his skills?

He was listed as elite (1p/2g) in the Twilight of the Clans scenario pack, which was set in 3059. one would have to extrapolate backwards for early clan invasion - veteran seems appropriate for AS.

As Thomas Marik's aide since the 3030s, something like tactical genius plus human TRO would seem appropriate.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2019, 14:52:27 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 17 January 2019, 15:02:45 »
 Not much to add about the Diamond Shark section:
Page 12 change 21st Cruiser to 21st Combined Assault
Page 15 61th Air Assault Change Sly Fox to Sky Fox
Page 15 35th cruiser. Out of curiosity why did you decide they were formed after Tukayyid?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 18 January 2019, 16:41:10 »
first draft of Combat Manual Comstar getting linked in the original post.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 18 January 2019, 16:59:13 »
Not much to add about the Diamond Shark section:
Page 12 change 21st Cruiser to 21st Combined Assault
Hmm, I think we are both wrong.  The combined part didn't come until after Tukayyid, when the 19th Heavy was folded in with them. I think I then made up 21st Cruiser as being their original name.  But I see OP Revival Trials has them as 21st Assault Cluster. So I will named them that, and add a named about the Combined part after Tukayyid.

Page 15 61th Air Assault Change Sly Fox to Sky Fox
oops.
Page 15 35th cruiser. Out of curiosity why did you decide they were formed after Tukayyid?
It wasn't mentioned earlier, it's still Green in FM:WC (though it could be because it was one of the ones trashed on Nyserta).  And despite statements that freeborn warriors would be more accepted after Tukayyid, the destroyed Omega cluster wasn't rebuilt and so I wanted a new one to show they were at least getting back up to normal levels.
Hmm. though it looks like I need to knock out two in 3053 for Nyserta.  Blah.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 18 January 2019, 18:14:37 »
pondering a new formation for ComStar (though available to all).

Mechanized [Base Formation]
Requirements: The Formation must be composed of at least three non-infantry units and at least one infantry unit. The non-infantry units must qualify for another formation, the base formation. If the non-infantry units no longer qualify for base formation bonuses, the entire Mechanized formation loses all bonus abilities.
Bonus Ability: The Mechanized formation gets the bonus ability or abilities of the base formation, but must select one SPA it does not receive.  If it would get three Speed Demon SPAs, the Mechanized version would only get two.  Two points of Lucky counts as a single SPA for this requirement. Instead, the Mechanized formation can combine fire from an infantry unit and a non-infantry unit once per turn.  Make the attack as if from the non-infantry unit, but give the attack a -1 to-hit modifier if it is also in range of the infantry unit (the infantry has a non-0 damage at the range).

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #108 on: 21 January 2019, 11:52:57 »
pondering a new formation for ComStar (though available to all).

Mechanized [Base Formation]
Requirements: The Formation must be composed of at least three non-infantry units and at least one infantry unit. The non-infantry units must qualify for another formation, the base formation. If the non-infantry units no longer qualify for base formation bonuses, the entire Mechanized formation loses all bonus abilities.
Bonus Ability: The Mechanized formation gets the bonus ability or abilities of the base formation, but must select one SPA it does not receive.  If it would get three Speed Demon SPAs, the Mechanized version would only get two.  Two points of Lucky counts as a single SPA for this requirement. Instead, the Mechanized formation can combine fire from an infantry unit and a non-infantry unit once per turn.  Make the attack as if from the non-infantry unit, but give the attack a -1 to-hit modifier if it is also in range of the infantry unit (the infantry has a non-0 damage at the range).

So essentially the Mechanized unit get +Infantry damage at range, and if target is within Infantry unit range it gets a -1 to hit; This costs the Mechanized unit what exactly? A single SPA or a single level of SPA?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 21 January 2019, 11:57:27 »
So essentially the Mechanized unit get +Infantry damage at range, and if target is within Infantry unit range it gets a -1 to hit; This costs the Mechanized unit what exactly? A single SPA or a single level of SPA?

The -1 is instead of the infantry damage.

Not sure what you mean by the last question.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #110 on: 22 January 2019, 07:55:49 »
The -1 is instead of the infantry damage.

Not sure what you mean by the last question.

I don't either. Yesterday sucked.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #111 on: 22 January 2019, 14:33:30 »
So we have a Mechanised unit consisting of a Carnivore at medium range, and a Fa Shih squad at short.

The to-hit for a "combined attack" would be based on the Carnivore at medium range, plus all other mods, then -1 for the infantry unit.

The damage should the attack hit is still the Carnivore's medium range damage.

Correct?

Next question - the Carnivore is still at medium range, but the Fa Shih is now at long range (where it can't attack the target). Can they still perform a combined attack?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 22 January 2019, 15:08:53 »
Yes and no. The idea is the infantry is distracting and/or providing tracer fire.

I’m not sure I like the idea, but trying to come up with something for mixed infantry and non-infantry. 

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #113 on: 22 January 2019, 18:04:55 »
Quote from: Combat Manual: Invading Clans Beta p.10
Nova
Requirements: Exclusive to the Clans. The Nova must be composed of five omnimechs and five battle armor units.
Bonus Ability: The battle armor units of the Nova may mount one of the Nova’s OmniMech’s at no Move cost to the OmniMech. The battle armor units of the Nova may, if they begin the turn mounted on one of the Nova’s OmniMechs, move after dismounting.

The italicised should probably be changed to...

The battle armor units of the Nova may mount one of the Nova’s OmniMech’s at no Move cost to the battle armor.

as it already doesn't cost the omnimech any move for infantry to load (It costs the infantry unit 2" to load).

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #114 on: 22 January 2019, 18:51:39 »
And no apostrophe on "OmniMech's" - "Omnimechs" is plural, so that's fine ;) "Nova's" is correct - they're the Omnimechs of the Nova.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Waritec

• Recruit
« Reply #115 on: 24 January 2019, 01:55:36 »
Combat Manual Liao

Hello guys!

Combat Manual Liao,
Page 16: Warrior House Matsukai, Special Command Abilities: Infiltrators.

No description for this SCA.

There is no such SCA in any combat manuals or "Campaign Operations".
« Last Edit: 24 January 2019, 03:36:19 by Waritec »

DarkJaguar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: 24 January 2019, 03:08:09 »
Quote from: Combat Manual: Invading Clans BETA lite p.9
Pounce: Units in this force that use Stand-Still movement may fire at the end of the Movement Phase. Target Movement Modifiers for these attacks are halved (round down).

If the intention isn't that the damage effects resolve during the movement phase, "may fire at the end of the Movement Phase." should probably be removed as it serves no purpose.  If the intention is that it resolves at the end of movement, then that should be made explicit.

Stiff Spine: An opponent cannot use Overrun Combat or Forcing the Initiative against this force.

This could include Combat Intuition as well without being grossly overpowered IMHO.

Logistics: Exclusive to Clan Wolf. With superior logistics, a Wolf force can add to one unit per formation, one of the following special abilities: SRM1/1, LRM1/1/1, IF1, FLK1/1/1, TOR1/1/1, HT1/-/- or ENE. If the unit already has this special, they can be added together as long as the total at each range is less than or equal to the base damage S/M/L at that range (compare IF to L). If ENE is added, the unit loses any SRM, LRM, IF, FLK, TOR, ART, BOMB or other ammo based special ability it possesses.

The bolded part could be rephrased as "LRM 1/1/1 (and IF1)" as the IF special uses the Long range damage of the LRM special to calculate anyway.

Alternatively, this ability may actually be more useful if it and Prepared were rolled together, and the weapon abilities were replaced with equipment abilities (AMS, PRB, ECM, etc). 

It would look something like this...

Logistics: Exclusive to Clan Wolf. With superior logistics, a Wolf force can add to one unit per formation, one of the following special abilities: PRB and RCN, ECM, AMS, CNARC, or TAG.  This Force can also reduce Warchest and Support Point costs by 10% (see Alpha Strike campaign as well as Turning Points products and other Chaos Campaign based products).

Finally..
Garish Camouflage: This force receives a +3 Initiative modifier, reducing 1 each turn a unit in this force is attacked (once per turn) till it's a +0 Initiative modifier.

To make this more useful and balanced, I believe that the bolded part should read "a unit in this force is hit by an attack".

That's all I've got for now.  As always, excellent work!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #117 on: 24 January 2019, 10:17:33 »
Pounce: um, yeah, excellent point.  I did add apply damage effects immediately, but then removed the halved TMM. Both was too much, not applying immediately was confusing.

Stiff Spine: good idea, that was a bit weak and that's a good addition.

Logistics/Prepared: I did merge, but left the weapon abilities and did not add the AMS, PRB, RCN.  The original idea was ammo, so I did not want to remove the effects on ammo abilities. 

Garish: sure. and that does help with the original intent of ignoring "meaningless" initial turns.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 24 January 2019, 10:18:23 »
Hello guys!

Combat Manual Liao,
Page 16: Warrior House Matsukai, Special Command Abilities: Infiltrators.

No description for this SCA.

There is no such SCA in any combat manuals or "Campaign Operations".

You are correct, but I will have to leave it mysterious, for mysterious reasons. Sorry. 

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #119 on: 24 January 2019, 10:19:52 »
The italicised should probably be changed to...

The battle armor units of the Nova may mount one of the Nova’s OmniMech’s at no Move cost to the battle armor.

as it already doesn't cost the omnimech any move for infantry to load (It costs the infantry unit 2" to load).

Good catch, that was written before the errata.  Though I will have to revist after AS:CE, it might change somethings up there.