Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: How expensive can a fifth generation thread be?  (Read 144598 times)

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
In other news, Chinese sources as saying that the Xian H-20 stealth bomber could make its first public appearance at the China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition this November.

I have spoken.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
"But we never saw any aircraft?"

"It's a STEALTH aircraft!"

^-^

Fat Guy

• Major
"But we never saw any aircraft?"

"It's a STEALTH aircraft!"

^-^

I have spoken.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
That three-color Japanese livery really is an attractive color scheme.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major

Reminds me of a display at an open house at Shaw Air Force Base back in the late 80’s or so. Had a display set up showing off the new stealth fighter.

Only it was in full stealth mode, so the only thing you could see behind the barrier lines was it’s landing gear.

;D

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Is that the photo that gets tagged as Wonder Woman's invisible jet?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
I thought that was a Klingon Bird of Prey??
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
Reminds me of a display at an open house at Shaw Air Force Base back in the late 80’s or so. Had a display set up showing off the new stealth fighter.

Only it was in full stealth mode, so the only thing you could see behind the barrier lines was it’s landing gear.

;D

Ruger

;)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
;)

Kinda, except you could also see the struts and this was on concrete.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Looks like a Raptor out of Eglin went down, pilot ejected.  No details yet, anyone heard any news?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Fat Guy

• Major
I have spoken.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
sometimes, with fighters, you land the airplane, and sometimes, with fighters, (even in peacetime) the plane lands without you.  this is true of pretty much ANY sort of high performance machine.  (a motorcyclist that hasn't dumped their bike, hasn't dumped it YET. same thing applies to aircraft.)
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
sometimes, with fighters, you land the airplane, and sometimes, with fighters, (even in peacetime) the plane lands without you.  this is true of pretty much ANY sort of high performance machine.  (a motorcyclist that hasn't dumped their bike, hasn't dumped it YET. same thing applies to aircraft.)

This! So much this.

Every aircraft design fails sooner or later, largely due to imperfections in the manufacturing process. Airworthiness is a massive part of the industry now, it suits everybody to have the aircraft land only when the pilot wants it to, but even that process fails on a fairly regular basis.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Sounds like the pilot managed to miss everyone on the ground at the cost of her own life...  That takes work in a residential neighborhood.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Sounds like the pilot managed to miss everyone on the ground at the cost of her own life...  That takes work in a residential neighborhood.

The pilot survived. The fatality was his passenger, a PR officer.

Also, the plane mostly hit a house - luckily the occupants were in the basement/backyard and not the part where the plane hit

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
They both ejected, but it seems it was too low for parachute to fully deploy and the crew member who ejected slightly higher survived with serious injuries. I guess these airplanes have older ejection seats that are not zero-zero capable.
Shoot first, laugh later.

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
The Fighter Pilot Podcast posted a video about the crash on YouTube yesterday.  They had a former Snowbirds pilot watching a video of the crash and commenting.  He said the plane had a 0/60 seat.   Of course, being at low altitude and in a steep descent doesn't give much time to eject before you're too low.   https://youtu.be/Xl7qOY2-o_Y

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Yikes!  Why would you fly aerobatic aircraft WITHOUT a 0/0 seat??  ???

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
From what I understand it probably did have a 0/0 setup but 0/0 setups still aren't going to completely remove the possibility of coming down a bit hard at such low levels.  Especially in that kind of situation.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
Yikes!  Why would you fly aerobatic aircraft WITHOUT a 0/0 seat??  ???
Because planes are old, predating the 0/0 seats and Canadian military budget has always been tight. It took them more than thirty years to replace the aging Sea Kings, ejection seats in these planes are even further down the list of priorities.

dgorsman

• Captain
The aircraft are lower performance than those used by the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels.  And other acrobatics oriented aircraft, such as those used in the Red Bull air races, don't have any ejection system.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Saw a F-35 crashed in FL?  Two USAF fighter crashes in FL in the space of a week?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
The aircraft are lower performance than those used by the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels.  And other acrobatics oriented aircraft, such as those used in the Red Bull air races, don't have any ejection system.
Yikes!  That must involve one hell of a waiver...

PsihoKekec

• Captain
No need for waiver as Red Bull air races are civilian competition and as such have no requirement for ejection seats.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I meant for the pilots to sign...

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant

It would be part of their accepted risk profile, yes.

Not too sure about the US, but here in Aus, it doesn't matter what you sign when it comes to mandatory safety equipment, the person in charge is in a world of hurt if it's not provided. Some things cannot be waived here.

dgorsman

• Captain
Apparently there's a ton of mandatory training on top of that, like underwater egress.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain

You should see the waiver I signed for my flying job.  There has to be a better way to make $18/hr...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
You should see the waiver I signed for my flying job.  There has to be a better way to make $18/hr...

Would you rather fly this instead?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016