Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - Houston, we are go for launch!  (Read 102552 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
I find the Flash Gordon similarities HILARIOUS!  ;D
Needs some lightning bolts on the wings!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Heh... there just might BE some on that SS2...  ^-^

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I'll be amused when it does fly, i think it looks so bizarre!  ;D

Then again, they made a "Water tower" fly, why not a scifi vehicle.  Musk didn't get his "Rin Tin Tin" rocket he wanted, but i not get too silly with scifi-retro thing.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Looks like Dream Chaser's Cargo variant coming along in development of it's first ship.

This is picture of it in final assembly, waiting for it's wings to come back from Lockheed Martin. Reported on NASA Spaceflight.

Ship looks like giant sneaker in the making.  ;D

Its shame the manned version won't be put into production. Seem like it properly more successful than the Spaceliner Boeing making.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Where does the Planet Express stickers go?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Makes me think of this

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Makes me think of this

OMG! I knew it looked vaguely familiar.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Anyone see my Lunar Lander?

Business Insider did a article regarding the fate of the last of the original Lunar Landers ordered...LM-14 & LM-15.  Which were cancelled in mid production in 1970.
While LM-15 was never assembled and scrapped.  It wasn't clear what happened to 14.

So its amusing to me what they think it became.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Looks like the first All-Female space walk is doing good! Their replacing the batteries for the space station. I read this on NASA Spaceflight.

kato

• Captain
Hayabusa 2 started its return cruise to Earth last night.

It'll slowly thrust out of the gravitational zone of Ryugu until sunday, then start checking its ion engine for the return flight (with a two-week trial run until early December).

Flyby at Earth and bombing Australia is expected for December 2020.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
That will be nice Christmas gift for all the good scientist waiting patiently for this little rocket to come home.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Ganbare, Hayabusa!

kato

• Captain
The last of the four sub-landers on Hayabusa failed btw. Minerva II-2. Her software system crashed and couldn't be brought back up. They basically tossed her at Ryugu like a brick instead to measure its gravitational field further.

For the departure JAXA is publishing live images (every 30 minutes) from the navigation camera as they come in, planning to do that until sunday - at http://www.hayabusa2.jaxa.jp/en/galleries/onc/nav20191113/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Is the software of the camera providing the light or is that natural sun light as the ship see's it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
A report i read on Gizmodo posted about Mars.  After a 3 year report from the rovers, scientist can't explain fluxs of oxygen along with Methane in the atmosphere.

kato

• Captain
Is the software of the camera providing the light or is that natural sun light as the ship see's it.
There's plenty postprocessing involved, but the light is mostly natural. Ryugu isn't much farther out than Earth, and about half as reflective as the moon in effective visual albedo (i.e. compared to looking at the moon from Earth).

Some of the postprocessing filters were actually calibrated by pointing the camera at the moon during a flyby.

« Last Edit: 13 November 2019, 13:12:33 by kato »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
This week NASA confirmed that plumes spotted over Europa are in fact water ice.  For further reading, here's the link...

https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-finds-water-plumes-above-the-surface-of-jupiter-s-icy-moon-europa/amp
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
Now we have to detect chlorophyll and then a monolith.  ^-^

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Looks like SpaceX had a issue with Starship Mk1, apparently her Nox Upper tank pop itself when they did maximum pressure test. 
This is a link to Casual Spaceman Channel.  If you go to :45 on the video, you can see thank pop it's top.   Ship is a loss apparently, but company took in stride and apparently Eon Musk decided Mk1 was going to be flying article, so i guess that's why ship was partially disassembled.

I hope they fix the thing.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Saw Scott Manley's video of it. According to him the later prototypes looked to be so much better that the first one would probably only have been used for test anyway.

Still, can't have been a cheap "oops!". :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUelbSa-OkA

Something for folks to watch.
A warning it was 30 minutes long would have been helpful...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
A report i read on Gizmodo posted about Mars.  After a 3 year report from the rovers, scientist can't explain fluxs of oxygen along with Methane in the atmosphere.
RE: Methane, Invisible Martian Cattle?
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
RE: Methane, Invisible Martian Cattle?
Anyone play "Terraforming Mars"? Prelude expansion has a card that lets you play a project "ignoring global requirements". Say hello to the Space Cows: -30 Celsius, no air, no water, no problem! :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
It'll likely be microbes we engineer for that job...  ^-^

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Right on, who says it isn't our job to spread life whenever we see fit. 

I hope our microbes are invasive as hell once we place them in the Martian biosphere.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Agreed!  In all seriousness though, I think the first step we take with regard to that will be shielding Mars from the solar wind...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Or just build underground.  In the Hall of the Mountain King indeed!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I honestly think we'll get that solar powered electromagnet deployed to the L1 point before we send people to Mars...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
They're claiming repeated matching results, and supposedly their procedures and data has survived repeat attempts at disproving, so...posted for thought, anyone heard anything further about this?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/22/world/fifth-force-of-nature-scn-trnd/index.html