Author Topic: BTCC Scenario Playtesting - Games U, Gilbert AZ, Jan 14 @1pm  (Read 1116 times)

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
The BattleTech Championship Circuit is the newest BattleTech tournament format, run primarily at large conventions. The scenarios are still evolving, and playtesting is needed to help dial them in.

The current BTCC rules can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h7XAP9XpuFy19W5mRt5Jy6jjDz14MQP92QXTlVf9VZY/edit

For this session, we will be playing only a single round. I'll be choosing one of the scenarios the day of the event (#1 and #7 will not be chosen), which should result in forces designed as if they were going to be entered into a multi-round tournament.

I will bring sample forces for those who don't want to design their own, but who want to help playtest anyway.

Games U is at 1550 N Stonehenge Dr #102, Gilbert, AZ 85234 (south side of Baseline just east of Stapley)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: BTCC Scenario Playtesting - Games U, Gilbert AZ, Jan 14 @1pm
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2023, 18:38:06 »
ALLOWED UNITS

Only units from the following sources are allowed in BTCC Total Warfare events. This is updated each season & is part of the “flavor” of each season.

Official Record Sheet Sources:

BattleTech Force Packs Record Sheets - Wave One (From the Clan Kickstarter)
BattleTech Force Packs Record Sheets - Wave Two (Clan KS)
BattleTech Force Packs Record Sheets - Wolf’s Dragoons
BattleTech: ilClan Recognition Guides (All Volumes)
Any other current BattleTech Force Packs (Highlanders, Kell Hounds, ETC)

Uhm, are we restricted by this?
I'm used to using the MUL, not sure how to even tell if something is from those packs of RS?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2023, 18:52:40 »
OPTIONAL RULES: IN USE
The following Special Rules are printed rules found in the Total Warfare book series and will be in use in all BTCC Total Warfare events.

Forced Withdrawal (258, TW)
Battlefield Support Points (75-79, BMM)
Each player has six (6) BSP to use every game, with the following restrictions:
Maximum of one (1) selection per type of Battlefield Support (Strike, Bombing, Strafing, Cover, Artillery, Minefield)
BSP are chosen at the start of each Event Round, after choosing Attacker and Defender but before deployment, and must be noted on the Round Scorecard included indicating the use of said Battlefield Support.

Backward Movement (Expanded) (20, TO:AR)
Floating Critical Rule (75, TO:AR)
Expanded Reversing (Flipping) Arms (85, TO:AR)
Special Munitions (140-142, TW)
These consist of the Autocannon Munitions (208, TM) and Missile Munitions (230-231, TM), the rules for which can be found beginning on page 164 of TO:AUE.
Players may change Special Munitions between Rounds, with the exception of Semi-Guided
Please Note: Thunder LRMS are not legal for BTCC events.

2 Questions.

1.  Are we using the BSP?   Probably something folks will need to familiarize with.  Not sure everyone has BMM,  I know I don't.

2.  What does "Except SG" mean?
Is it not allowed?, OR,  Are they saying you can't change it because it affects BV level so once you use it its permanently part of the force?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2023, 12:25:13 »
Uhm, are we restricted by this?
Yes. I want to test the scenarios as they'd actually be played in a tournament.

I'm used to using the MUL, not sure how to even tell if something is from those packs of RS?

The contents of each RS pack can be looked up using the Master Unit List:
http://masterunitlist.info/Source/Index

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2023, 12:42:29 »
2 Questions.

1.  Are we using the BSP?   Probably something folks will need to familiarize with.  Not sure everyone has BMM,  I know I don't.
We will be. Hopefully some people bring the Battlefield Support Deck (of cards). I'll see if I can whip up a quick reference sheet.

2.  What does "Except SG" mean?
Is it not allowed?, OR,  Are they saying you can't change it because it affects BV level so once you use it its permanently part of the force?
The latter. It can be part of your force, but unlike other ammo can't be swapped around because that would entail recalculating BV.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2023, 13:05:06 »
This should be correct. I selected all the ForcePack and ilClan Recognition Guide sources: MUL Link

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2024, 22:51:01 »
Good luck to you!  I really liked the BTCC before the rule changes, which seem the same in the packet.  As you are just playtesting you probably won't have the issue of the rec guide units being totally busted.

For missions, I recommend making the BV portion of the score BV/100 for destroyed, half for crippled.  In the packet currently you max the score after killing 2000 BV, so like 1 big mech.  We we played the BTCC missions, the game often ended early as someone hit 100 points after just a few rounds with 1 single kill plus a few turns on the objective.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2024, 18:51:06 »
I made a MUL filter that should be correct: http://tinyurl.com/34w8tud8