Author Topic: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread  (Read 47495 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: HBS Battletech Technical Discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: 20 April 2018, 20:20:53 »
It won;t be released until Monday anyways, but better to have preloaded in STEAM to download once released.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #31 on: 20 April 2018, 20:37:51 »
I am expecting you all to review this for the rest of us. :thumbsup:
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #32 on: 20 April 2018, 21:52:07 »
I've never used steam...

I do play Runescape and mostly offline unless I need to upload for Fallout 4.

I'm concern that I might foul up my system with something I can't recover from, it's happen before.

What can I do... any advice?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 21 April 2018, 07:23:32 »
I've never used steam...

I do play Runescape and mostly offline unless I need to upload for Fallout 4.

I'm concern that I might foul up my system with something I can't recover from, it's happen before.

What can I do... any advice?

TT
If you have a spare hard drive/external hard drive you can have your windows make a backup to recover from.  I usually keep my data backed up once a month that way  i have the important files backed up and it not a total lost  for important files

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 21 April 2018, 08:25:30 »
Now this sucks, see I p!ay on a laptop... Unless I can get Steam for XBox1? ( I only have one game on there since I've gotten it for Christmas of '16!  Fallout 4...  :) )

I do have a regular computer, but she's put up in storage until we move from our current address, space to small and alot of vagabondish foot traffic, if you what I mean. I can at least transport the Acer when I need to.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Face

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 21 April 2018, 08:41:11 »
TT —> did you back the Kickstarter or buy the game after the release announced? You can also get the game through GOG which isn’t steam and very clean if you are concerned.

I got three keys, on steam and two GOG for my friend and son.  So so so excited to lose a week of work!
Quote from: Darzoni
A Mad Cat, honey, is what happens when a Marauder and Catapult love each other very much.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 21 April 2018, 08:54:08 »
TT —> did you back the Kickstarter or buy the game after the release announced? You can also get the game through GOG which isn’t steam and very clean if you are concerned.

I got three keys, on steam and two GOG for my friend and son.  So so so excited to lose a week of work!

Backed as of 09/28/2015!

I used a bad edress, but have since upgraded my account as of Thursday after I saw about that HG losing to HBS... I contacted Robin @HBS and gave them my backer receipt I had saved! Apparently, I was listed under another email, but that was fixed as of yesterday.

Which leaves me to how I'll beat er... play against you fine folks! I'm not to savy at tech... Gimme a Commadore or an early model Apple....

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 21 April 2018, 09:18:49 »
Already keyed into steam, and waiting for Monday's DL. Cautiously optimistic.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 21 April 2018, 11:48:41 »
Claimed mine.  Now just have to wait til release and see if flamers are still ammo based and fix that.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 21 April 2018, 19:05:24 »
Now just have to wait til release and see if flamers are still ammo based and fix that.

They are. They did bump them from 3 shots per flamer to 6 though. Considering they're significantly stronger than in table top I'm okay with the limited use but to each their own.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #40 on: 21 April 2018, 19:10:06 »
"For you it was the most important day in your life.  For me it was Tuesday."-M.Bison Street Fighter

The beta was pretty awesome so I'll be having trouble waiting until Tuesday for it to actually go live.  Though I do wish they had let us test out a few more things in beta, like the Mechlab.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #41 on: 21 April 2018, 20:54:10 »
Already keyed into steam, and waiting for Monday's DL. Cautiously optimistic.

Same here. Excited. Kind of. Studying for finals so can't really jump in. Also, awkwardly watching someone disect a corpse that day.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #42 on: 21 April 2018, 21:18:26 »
I can't wait, but nervous too.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #43 on: 22 April 2018, 06:38:48 »
I can't wait, but nervous too.

Why nervous?

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 22 April 2018, 06:54:03 »
http://www.tigerdirect.com
http://www.newegg.com

I have ordered from both of these companies over the past decade and have always been happy with the deals from them. The Gfx 960 I am using now I ordered from Amazon and haven't had an issue with it yet.

If you really want a high end card on a budget you can look for refurbished cards on newegg. When my old 5700 crapped out it was replaced by a refurbished card and it has been chugging a long far longer than the busted card I sent it. If you don't want bleeding edge go with a 1050 or 1060 or even an older 960. Mine came with a free copy of Witcher 3 when I bought it, so that could be a bonus ;)

I not been on tigerdirect in a while ( since they closed the 2 stores they had in my state a while back.  lol  i prefer newegg over them most the time )  but the way prices are it scary I seen bit coin picking back p in the last week and was almost 9k again as of this morning

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #45 on: 22 April 2018, 07:42:24 »
Why nervous?
Because the HG boogeyman still exists to bring our franchise down, maybe? It makes me wonder how nerf'ed the game will be legal-proofed... either that or game play (the bar is rather high, when it comes to 'mech games, to us BTVFWs :D)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #46 on: 22 April 2018, 07:46:43 »
Because the HG boogeyman still exists to bring our franchise down, maybe? It makes me wonder how nerf'ed the game will be legal-proofed... either that or game play (the bar is rather high, when it comes to 'mech games, to us BTVFWs :D)

Does that not matter now that the case between HBS and HG has been dismissed per the topic in the general discussion board?  I'm not too worried about it myself.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #47 on: 22 April 2018, 07:51:56 »

At this point we've spent so long playing battletech with and without some macross mechs that it doesn't really matter.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 22 April 2018, 10:35:54 »
Still no private access to a computer that can actually run this game. I'm currently torn between giving my access keys to my brother, and waiting for half a year or so until I can get hardware to run this game. Not going to buy a gaming rig now just for this one game.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 23 April 2018, 17:48:57 »
I'm preloaded and ready to go. Is it getting released at midnight?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 23 April 2018, 17:54:20 »
True, the TT ones do damage or heat depending on if you are using advanced rules, just not both.   That would be interesting for tabletop though.  Could balance it by lowering damage and heat caused.  But yes, can't wait.

They are. They did bump them from 3 shots per flamer to 6 though. Considering they're significantly stronger than in table top I'm okay with the limited use but to each their own.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #51 on: 23 April 2018, 18:07:06 »

From the Steam forum for the game:

Preload, 9am PDT Monday -- Launch, 9am PDT Tuesday
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 23 April 2018, 18:15:46 »
I decided to merge two threads into a single technical thread. If you want to discuss hardware requirements, troubleshooting, getting keys figured out, preloading, times, Kickstarter issues, etc, etc please do so here. If you want to discuss the game itself, I have a spoilerful thread here:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61233.0
« Last Edit: 23 April 2018, 18:18:50 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #53 on: 23 April 2018, 18:26:25 »
It will be very hard to find anything around MSRP for graphics cards due to the mining craze. One thing you might try is to look up eGPU enclosure bundles. These things use the Thunderbolt 3 (over USB C) connection to provide graphics power to otherwise underpowered computers like laptops. I think you can find an enclosure/card combination that's still over MSRP but possibly a lot closer than just trying to source a card over Amazon.

Now regarding your budget, I think you should consider going up. Try for a card that has at least 4GB for a little bit of future proofing. I'm seeing 2GB GTX 1050s at just a hair over your budget. A 1050ti will have 4GB and is a fair bit faster. A 1060 would be better, but I think that unless you get lucky, the demand for miners start to overwhelm supply and the price goes up. A 1070 is absurdly expensive (too much in the mining sweet spot for power demand and performance for them).

Even if you try to source a 900 series card, your budget most likely needs to be in the $200-300 range. Personally, I think that's money well spent as games increasingly reliant on GPU rather than CPU. I'm still running an old Haswell CPU that's solid as a rock and combined with a GTX 1060 (before the current bitcoin rush), I get really good performance even on modern games. Not 4K performance, but I'm perfectly satisfied gaming at 1080p.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Yeah. My Processor is from 2010. It's 8 years old... it runs modern games just fine. Just an old I7-920 chugging along. I get a little bottle necked with Warhammer Total War 2 loading times. But other than that...

This bit coin thing is news to me.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 23 April 2018, 18:30:13 »
This bit coin thing is news to me.

I'm afraid it's true. It became a thing in '17 and just has not stopped. Mostly it's less about bitcoin itself than it is about secondary coins, especially Etherium. Bitcoin mining is of such a complexity (and type) that only dedicated FPGA equipment can crunch numbers fast enough to be worth the power draw. Coins like Etherium are more GPU computation friendly and *that* is what's caused demand, and our collective PC gaming angst, to spike.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #55 on: 23 April 2018, 18:42:52 »

Nope, 9am (Pacific) tomorrow AM.

it is currently RIGHT NOW 4:45 pm Pacific
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #56 on: 23 April 2018, 20:24:03 »
I'm mildly disappointed that GoG doesn't support pre-loads but I've got to spend Tuesday evening with family anyway so I probably won't be playing until Weds. I'm going to try & log in to my PC with TeamViewer & start the download while I'm out :-)
I'm glad I bought a GTX980 before the cryptocurrency rush drove card prices out of reach.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #57 on: 23 April 2018, 22:42:29 »
Did the preload so all prepped for Anzac Day tomorrow. The Art of BattleTech book is very very pretty.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #58 on: 24 April 2018, 12:08:11 »
*edit* Never mind! Found it :D
« Last Edit: 24 April 2018, 12:13:01 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #59 on: 24 April 2018, 13:44:25 »
So far not bad.  One of the early missions was a bit of a slog and the first real one after going proper merc I definately took way too much damage on.  Repair times do seem rather excessive though and maybe I need to replace my mouse again or something but I did have a little trouble dragging and dropping parts.

Register