Author Topic: What would you think of a Total War style Battletech game?  (Read 5465 times)

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
It's just an idea that's been bouncing around in my head for a few days recently. I have no further idea on how it would work at this moment, except for real time top down battles, hopefully with ALL the various unit types.

I mean if someone can make it work with Warhammer, imagine what it would be like with Battletech.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: What would you think of a Total War style Battletech game?
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2019, 19:04:10 »
I mean, as a giant Total War fan, it's my dream game. Almost certainly never gonna happen outside of my wildest fantasies, but it would be awesome, yes.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2019, 19:13:32 »
misunderstood the question nothing to see here move along

« Last Edit: 09 April 2019, 21:42:01 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2019, 19:33:57 »
What would the scale be?  Are you expected to run infantry around, then mechs and vehicles are varying degrees of monstrous?

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2019, 21:05:30 »
Ground Control is the closest I've seen any game to getting it right, and even it had issues.

As it is, Total Warhammer is considerably better balanced than Fantasy was or Age of Sigmar is, but balance has never really been Battletech's achille's heel (largely due to being able to justifiably play the same thing).

But yeah, the scale of things is a bit... wonky to work right, that's for sure.  Vehicles will have to be tougher than we've seen in any MechWarrior or MechCommander, and ammo will have to be able to last a lot longer, too.  RTS units tend to burn through ammo pretty quickly, I've noticed.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2019, 22:11:23 »
This could exist already.  Really, in my opinion it's laziness that has prevented it.  The HBStech game that was released last year could be altered to play like Battletech.  Remove the nonsense ranked movement, restrict firing until all units have moved, then select shots and everything fires at once.  I know the "modernizing" crowd really wants to simplify Battletech to run like Clickytech but, after time even avid Alpha Strike players try to make the rules more like Battletech.  I really wish someone would mod HBStech to play like Battletech. 

LUL I read that as Total Warfare style.

Anyway, yes, I think a Total War game could be possible.  It would definitely be a combined arms game.  Platoons of infantry, tanks, mechs, would probably function like Halo Wars 2.  But holy hell, no leader powers.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2019, 22:13:42 by jackpot4 »
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2019, 10:17:54 »
Considering who owns HBS now, we probably have a better chance at seeing a Stellaris style (or Crusader Kings style) grand strategy BattleTech game. Which, if done even half right, would be awesome.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2019, 11:36:42 »
If you were looking to make Total Warfare into a real time strategy, combined arms type of game, Wargame: Red Dragon would be a better starting point for game mechanics than Total War, at least in my opinion.

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2019, 12:42:16 »
If you were looking to make Total Warfare into a real time strategy, combined arms type of game, Wargame: Red Dragon would be a better starting point for game mechanics than Total War, at least in my opinion.
I don't really trust Eugen that much anymore since they started with their Steel Division series.
Considering who owns HBS now, we probably have a better chance at seeing a Stellaris style (or Crusader Kings style) grand strategy BattleTech game. Which, if done even half right, would be awesome.
True. To be honest, if you did it right, you could probably mod in a BT equivalent straight into CK. You'd need to write a lot of events, and probably add some art, but it should be possible.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2019, 16:33:54 »
I don't really trust Eugen that much anymore since they started with their Steel Division series.True. To be honest, if you did it right, you could probably mod in a BT equivalent straight into CK. You'd need to write a lot of events, and probably add some art, but it should be possible.

Considering there was a full conversion mod for CKII that turned it into Game of Thrones complete with art, factions, map, and even events I would say it is quite possible to make an appropriate mod.

It'd still be a bit wonky on that engine with all the concesions you'd have to make.  Stellaris would certainly be a better place to start.  Probably would still be a bit wonky with having to make mechs the focus but that is something that will never go away without a reboot of Battletech itself that involves humanity never leaving Earth and never developing heavy space lift technology.  At least not that much better than what we have now.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2019, 17:18:33 »
Now that would be an interesting thought experiment.  Say JumpShip technology is developed, but we're stuck without magical fusion rockets for DropShips… Hmmm....

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2019, 18:07:35 »
I have to admit it is an AU I've thought about for a while and it has the potential to solve a lot of problems with Battletech.

But more back on topic if Paradox and HBS did decide to combine their forces and give us a Stellaris style game they'd have my money in a heart beat.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2019, 18:11:20 »
Ok, as soon as I figure out which sub-forum best fits that idea, I'll start a thread...

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 11 April 2019, 12:35:49 »
You might be better off making it Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock style, where you have a team of several ships which you assign orders to while the game is paused, then it plays for several seconds as you watch the turn play out.  It still does the whole grand strategy thing that Total War does, but I don't know exactly how that works.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2019, 10:29:41 »
I'd be fairly happy with a BT game that allows you to fight for control over a single planet during the course of a campaign, but you could randomize the starting planet and forces within limits set up beforehand.

A computerized "Succession Wars" equivalent would be another possibility, but that gets a little too abstract, to where the individual 'Mech or even lance of 'Mechs becomes totally irrelevant.

What I'd love to see most would be some kind of hybrid, where as a lower-ranking officer (either within a faction or as a mercenary) you can control a small group of 'Mechs, vehicles, and infantry on a tactical level (like MegaMek), but as you promote to higher ranks, you can ALSO give strategic orders between battles to other units under your jurisdiction (which will fight their own battles in a much more abstracted form), and manage whatever planetary resources are within your personal fief.  Eventually, you could control groups on several planets, each strategic turn either participating in one battle on the planet where you're located, or else making a jump to another planet within 1 jump.  Ideally, it should have interactions reminiscent of Crusader Kings, where you get involved in politics and family advancement to gain influence and power within a faction, controlling some property directly, and other planets or continents on those planets through vassals.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2019, 05:11:25 »
I'd be fairly happy with a BT game that allows you to fight for control over a single planet during the course of a campaign, but you could randomize the starting planet and forces within limits set up beforehand.

A computerized "Succession Wars" equivalent would be another possibility, but that gets a little too abstract, to where the individual 'Mech or even lance of 'Mechs becomes totally irrelevant.

What I'd love to see most would be some kind of hybrid, where as a lower-ranking officer (either within a faction or as a mercenary) you can control a small group of 'Mechs, vehicles, and infantry on a tactical level (like MegaMek), but as you promote to higher ranks, you can ALSO give strategic orders between battles to other units under your jurisdiction (which will fight their own battles in a much more abstracted form), and manage whatever planetary resources are within your personal fief.  Eventually, you could control groups on several planets, each strategic turn either participating in one battle on the planet where you're located, or else making a jump to another planet within 1 jump.  Ideally, it should have interactions reminiscent of Crusader Kings, where you get involved in politics and family advancement to gain influence and power within a faction, controlling some property directly, and other planets or continents on those planets through vassals.

I like this concept, a lot! The big issue with most of these games is simple: Gameplay requirements tend to damage the setting. Since research trees etc are the go on strategic games, to gain that qualitative improvement over time, they break the Battletech scenario.

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2019, 20:03:40 »
Rome Total War meets battle tech?

Turn based strategy succession war meets RTS alpha strike?

Take my money!

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2019, 02:11:33 »
Somehow, I feel a mix between Total War and Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusades would be a good fit, perhaps set in the Republic of the Sphere in the Dark Ages. The whole Clickytech 'numerous factions vying for power, and your group is one of them' could fit pretty nicely, and allow for massive variety in unit types.

That, and being able to either have your personal ride on 'autopilot' or drive from the controls would be pretty nifty. Plus being an actually decent medium for the first Dark Age era game.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2019, 00:10:34 »
i can get behind the style, but my limited experience with total war games is that the AI makes megamek look elegant, the diplomacy system is useless, and combat system doesn't handle complex maps nearly as well at it thinks so i'd like to see another company actually attempt it.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Ufnal

• Recruit
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2019, 09:43:40 »
My personal dream game is a three level BattleTech game, with the galaxy level where you plan your economy and move whole armies between worlds, the system/planetary level where in a contested system you move your forces around in preparation for battle, and a battle level where, well, you do battle.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 27 June 2019, 20:45:00 »
I don't really trust Eugen that much anymore since they started with their Steel Division series.
I think he means taking a page from its game mechanics as opposed to actually having Eugen make it.

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 28 June 2019, 22:48:38 »
My personal dream game is a three level BattleTech game, with the galaxy level where you plan your economy and move whole armies between worlds, the system/planetary level where in a contested system you move your forces around in preparation for battle, and a battle level where, well, you do battle.
So... kind of like a Star Wars: Empire at War kind of deal. I'd get behind that.

I think he means taking a page from its game mechanics as opposed to actually having Eugen make it.
Probably. The mechanics of the games themselves were great (minus helo spam).