Author Topic: HBS' BattleTech: Urban Warfare Thread  (Read 5623 times)

MarauderD

• Major
HBS' BattleTech: Urban Warfare Thread
« on: 04 June 2019, 17:34:31 »
Well, the second expansion to HBS' BattleTech is out.

There is a new urban Biome, and it is gorgeous.

Bunch of fun items in the release notes, which can be found here:  https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/live-battletech-update-1-6-and-urban-warfare-paid-expansion-release-notes.1185476/

Biggest change I've noticed is there are some performance improvements!  Load times are back in the nominal range, and even though the urban biome is absolutely packed with items, the frame rates are good on a midline graphics card  (GTX 1060 6 gb).

Anyone else play a little today?  What are your thoughts?  Anyone used the Raven-1X yet?  I haven't run across one yet, but I'm only 8 missions into a new campaign.....

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: HBS' BattleTech: Urban Warfare Thread
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2019, 17:37:36 »
Urban is BRUTAL!

Best for me though, was an Enemy Quickdraw jumped up on a building...so....shot the building instead of him :D

He took a crap ton of damage, and lost a leg in the process.  >:D
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2019, 10:02:32 »
Speaking of the Urban Warfare release, did the update break Rougetech?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2019, 11:17:33 »
Just about any update would break any mod.

Speaking of the Urban Warfare release, did the update break Rougetech?

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2019, 17:52:51 »
People getting mad about mods getting broken are annoying. I still see a few complain every time, and... It confuses me.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2019, 17:56:07 »
Started a new game, pulled my usual .json mods and now just encountered a Javelin in the wild, on a combined Aurigan/Taurian mission.  Too bad I had to go to work.  Good thing I can leave my computer on til I get home!

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2019, 19:29:53 »
I committed to going to see Godzilla King of the Monsters tonight before I remembered Urban Warfare was due to drop, so I'll be taking it out for a test drive tomorrow. Haven't decided if I'll try it on campaign mode or career mode yet - does it make any difference?
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2019, 03:43:12 »
Got it. Started a new game, and lets just say that things have been going a little wonky for me. For example, I have encountered the Javelin in the wild. The Fire Javelin to be more correct. For a light mech it is a bugger to bring down.

Another occurrence that has me shaking my head is that all of my starting pilots have been head shot at least once. And I have only done about 6 missions in total so far after the first one.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2019, 09:21:55 »
So I did start a new game, and my starting lance...WOW:

Spider
Commando
Firestarter
BlackJack
Centurion

My Pirate force is gonna be a tough slog through the game  >:D

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2019, 10:59:58 »
Fire Javelins are a terror when theres more than 1.  It is so much more scarier than a Jenner because of the additional heatsinks and armor.  And I picked up 2 last night!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2019, 11:00:41 »
So I did start a new game, and my starting lance...WOW:

Spider
Commando
Firestarter
BlackJack
Centurion

My Pirate force is gonna be a tough slog through the game  >:D

So my new Career started with an obscene lance on the other end of the spectrum:  ENF-4R, CN9-A, FS9-A, COM-1B. 

I have to admit, I normally like a challenge.  But those first 8-12 missions with an absurdly OP starting lance?  I was smiling the whole time.  Talk about overwhelming firepower advantage?  Two large lasers, two AC/10, and a LRM-10 on your first mission?  Jump the firestarter in, Evasion tank, destroy one enemy.  Rinse, repeat.  It was glorious!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2019, 17:00:47 »
I wonder if that was adjusted?  IIRC the last Career start I had a Vindicator, Panther, Commando, Commando, Spider.  Its why I bought a Vindicator when I found enough parts for 1 go
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2019, 20:00:58 »
Finally got to play some.

I started with a Centurion 9D, Vindicator 1R, Cicada 2A, and a Commando 2D and 1A.

Faced a Fire Javelin on my first mission, and proceeded to see both flavors of Javelins my first several missions (multiples twice!).

Needless to say I soon assembled my own Fire Javelin out of salvage and sold the Cicada as the Javelin had twice the armor and firepower!
I have spoken.

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2019, 08:04:30 »
I started with Enforcer, Blackjack, Commando, Spider, Spider. Javelins are apparently the most common Mech in the IS. They are everywhere. I was able to salvage 2 almost immediately, 1 of each variant, with salvage set to require 4 parts. I just tried the first Flashpoint last night. It is long and mission 3 was very, very brutal. I blew it twice and will need to try it again tonight.

Over all I'm loving the urban biomes and the game in general, but the loading screens are way longer now, especially the urban ones.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2019, 09:27:08 »
Yeah, I think they increased the starting settings . . . I just started a new career to test out Urban, had a Enforcer, Centurion, Jenner and both Commandos.  VERY happy with that compared to my last run.  I started off with a new mission, it was 3 sided!  Mission was to drop in and make sure none of them came back for their run in.  A FS 'lance (was a Firestarter & Fire Javelin) to hit a patrolling CapCon lance (Shad, Jav 10N, Locust, Commando) on a AC world Soon had enough money to buy all 3 parts of the BJ-1 that was in on that planet and sold the LL Commando.  Did great on popping the mechs, salvaged most of both Javs and a piece of the Shad, wish I had more options to salvage.  Besides a bit easier starting point with heavier meds- and 2 at that- worked nicely . . . and then getting my 6th pilot as a 6/3/3/3 also helped.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2019, 09:41:27 »
So, I often don't like modding games, so up until now, this meant no archers, marauders, riflemen, etc, etc.

But...with URBAN WARFARE, I found it somewhat disappointing that collapsing buildings under mechs wasn't as detrimental as I hoped.

From a post I made over on the HBS forums, HBS_CaptKerberos (Design Lead for BT: Urban Warfare), answered my questions of falling damage and stated:

Quote from: HBS_CaptKerberos
It is data controlled in CombatGameConstants.json,

"StabilityDumpFalling": -3,

Is what you're looking for, it's equal to a DFA. Damage on the other hand, like DFA, is a multiplier based on Mech Tonnage. So the bigger the mech the greater the damage. I'll have to peek where that is, it is possibly editable.

So, I've decide to mod that .json file and make the stability a huge -6, force them mechs on a Building to fall prone, moreso because HBS_CaptKerberos then informed a few posts later:

Quote from: HBS_CaptKerberos
Based on my poking around I think we may have hooked the damage directly into the DFA logic, which means you can't scale the damage from falling without also scaling the DFA self damage. :/ Not my ideal, but I'll see what I can do with the engineers on that nuance going forward.

So, mechs take falling damage equivilant to DFA self Damage, but can't scale that for a building collapse as one would then also scale actual DFA damage :(

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2019, 12:31:09 »
I haven't reached a mission with an urban biome yet, but my starting lance was Centurion, Vindicator, Firestarter, Commando, Urbanmech
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2019, 12:50:46 »
Nor have I, and I was grinding on Panzyr quite a bit- gone to Herotitus now.  I have also not gotten another 3-sided mission, but I enjoyed the one with two opposing sides- except the FS DZ was too close IMO.
Colt Ward

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 11 June 2019, 06:38:39 »
I gotten both packs now, and crashed/lost my game files during a hardware swap out ( cause I place the files on dying drive that died afterwards ) figures lol
 So starting from scratch and I seeing the crab and javelin on many missions  not salvaged a enough parts to make one but then again I am only playing at random when I get time for a mission or 2..

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 11 June 2019, 09:07:05 »
Yeah, I have seen the two Javelin a LOT . . . once on the Crab.  Like I also said upthread, I have seen the Vindi & Blackjack variants too.
Colt Ward

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #20 on: 11 June 2019, 10:38:54 »
Started a new campaign with the UW DLC and I got as a starter lance: 2 Centurions, Cicada and 2 Commandos. Wow. Looks like I'm a medium lance right away!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 11 June 2019, 10:42:30 »
What I am wondering is, did they make the starting force better w/2 meds . . . or was the starter force I set up for Flashpoint a single med b/c I set it at a higher difficulty level?
Colt Ward

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #22 on: 11 June 2019, 14:58:52 »
Better than what? The main campaign? because a vindicator, blackjack AND Shadow hawk (plus 2 lights) is heavier than what most of you is putting forward...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #23 on: 11 June 2019, 15:12:33 »
No, if you read what I said it was mentioned that when I did the career track after Flashpoint was released I had a single med.  So I am not sure if that was b/c I increased the difficulty level.
Colt Ward

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #24 on: 11 June 2019, 15:24:05 »
Not sure but I think they've stealth added in some variants.  Started a new career game and I've seen a Jenner F a couple times already. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 11 June 2019, 15:42:34 »
Yeah, I listed a few but I have not seen some that I expected.  Wonder if we will see a AC/20 Centurion?
Colt Ward

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #26 on: 11 June 2019, 22:25:34 »
I've seen a Hatchetman 3X which has missiles and lasers that I hadn't expected.  Also, I could be wrong because I've only played with the 3F a few times, but I don't remember it having 2 mounts for pointblank weapons. The additional mounts makes it significantly more vicious.

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #27 on: 11 June 2019, 23:50:58 »
Funny thing happened today. Doing some grinding after Wendry, my Lance of a Firestarter, Vindicator, Shadow Hawk -2H, and a Centurion had just beat down 8 light, 2 mediums, and a heavy mech force. Got a Black Knight and a Crab out of the fight.  Anyway, after all is said and done....got Behemoth pinched right out from me by another Merc company........the Grey Death Legion. To tell the truth I was not even mad about it!.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #28 on: 13 June 2019, 20:54:20 »
Yep I have had that Grey Death event/encounter too. It is a nice touch of BT lore coming in  8)
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #29 on: 09 July 2019, 07:17:24 »
gotten to play more  and i gotten 2 crabs now, seen a urbie a couple times done 1 flashpoint mission (love how they point it out as one) but i agree i seen several head shots(way more than other than plays.  I love the stray shot lol  i missed a cen and head shot a unknown behind it and imstant kill with a alpha strike and still took out the cen in same round .

had the grey death legion try to take 2 pilots now lucky both stayed  with me and  one died(unlucky) the next mission lol

Register