Author Topic: Mobile factories  (Read 379 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Mobile factories
« on: 20 February 2024, 14:17:44 »
Now this is something that got me curious, how would a mobile factory work as a mobile structure? Is it even possible to make a mobile factory at all? if so, what would be the ups and downs of such a manufacturing site?

I ask these question both from a lore and rules perspective, due to mobile structures are a thing in battletech I got curious about making one into a factory. A factory that wasn't exactly stationary to possibly reduce the chances of objective raids against it(in theory). Don't know how it would work in practice.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Mobile factories
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2024, 14:39:01 »
Depends on how you define Mobile and Factory. The Wolf Dragon's brought the jump capable Hephaestus Station with them. There are standard templates for industrial stations and a 0.1g station keeping drive is pretty good to zip around a solar system with so you can adjust your position and find new claims.

Additionally some of the larger dropships could have factory type setups (whether they be actual factories, refineries, smelters, lumbermills, etc..) built into them, I go into this in my Free Trader's guide, link in sig below, although the space required will require the Industrial Tycoon's Handbook fan rules or GM/Author fiat. Smaller dropships could be capable of smelting asteroids into ingots or refining hydrocarbons into useful chemicals as well just not to the same volume.

If you are looking Spice Miner style again there's rules for mobile structures/blue water ships (a fishery ship for instance) and you can look at the Tycoon's handbook for an idea of how big a structure you'd need to make for a purpose.

All of these would probably still be less economical (if not ruinously expensive) than dedicated fixed facilities but they have they benefit of being flexible.

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2024, 14:43:27 »
Depends on how you define Mobile and Factory. The Wolf Dragon's brought the jump capable Hephaestus Station with them. There are standard templates for industrial stations and a 0.1g station keeping drive is pretty good to zip around a solar system with so you can adjust your position and find new claims.

Additionally some of the larger dropships could have factory type setups (whether they be actual factories, refineries, smelters, lumbermills, etc..) built into them, I go into this in my Free Trader's guide, link in sig below, although the space required will require the Industrial Tycoon's Handbook fan rules or GM/Author fiat. Smaller dropships could be capable of smelting asteroids into ingots or refining hydrocarbons into useful chemicals as well just not to the same volume.

If you are looking Spice Miner style again there's rules for mobile structures/blue water ships (a fishery ship for instance) and you can look at the Tycoon's handbook for an idea of how big a structure you'd need to make for a purpose.

All of these would probably still be less economical (if not ruinously expensive) than dedicated fixed facilities but they have they benefit of being flexible.

Link me to the tycoon's handbook because I need that for this.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2024, 05:54:15 »
I made a Rose Drop Ship  with half its cargo a small factory.  And it repurposed the small craft bay for Tunbo super heavy VTOL bays . I called it the  Von Numan . Defined it as an advanced machine shop that permitted  Factory refits in the field as well as an advanced repair facility.  So long as I had the unit was used extensively by me and/or the theater I could generally fix or repair