Author Topic: [OOC] TOW - LAAF CIO - recruitment open  (Read 42358 times)

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
  • prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
[OOC] TOW - LAAF CIO - recruitment open
« on: 01 July 2014, 11:16:48 »
This thread is for all kind of posts related to the PBP game played in the sibling [IC] thread.
The players are sentinemodo (GM) and sichr, netzgeist, dread pirate Xzylvador and minerva.

Open positions are available and any changes to that status will be reflected in that post.

All kind of feedback, comment, tactical advise, rules discussion is welcome here.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2014, 07:08:35 by sentinemodo »

Sichr

• Corporal
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA, ZMRDI!!!
Re: [OOC] TOW - LAAF CIO
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2014, 14:16:35 »
REPORTING IN...
Don`t cry because it`s over. Smile because it happened!

Sichr

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2014, 14:18:16 »
I am really currious how much posts it would take to be considered human and this annoying spamcheck would end

Netzgeist

• Recruit
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2014, 17:34:47 »
I believe you are too low on essence, Sichr, that the board has difficult assessing you as human. (I know we're not in the Sixth World anymore, Toto, but allow me this one). Also, the number of posts you are searching for is ten.

So here we are. Nice.

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2014, 01:52:22 »
cool, waiting for Xzyl, but he'll manage I'm sure.

so what kind of roles you've envisioned for you from the list I've sent you or something else entirely?

I assume Sichr takes driving/piloting things?

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2014, 01:58:02 »
We'll be having game of Lyrans affiliated (House Steiner) counterintellingence department. So this limit us to Lyran nationality, unless any of you wish to start as someone else (born in some other corner of the galaxy, that somehow landed on Port Moseby and after all required screening got into CIO).

If you read the universe startbook, and it jumped to you that you REALLY REALLY want to be from the Periphery or anywhere else let me know - this will have impact on creation.

Netzgeist

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2014, 05:49:50 »
I haven't yet read the material, but I'm leaning towards technician at the moment.

Sichr

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2014, 09:06:49 »
I believe you are too low on essence, Sichr, that the board has difficult assessing you as human. (I know we're not in the Sixth World anymore, Toto, but allow me this one). Also, the number of posts you are searching for is ten.

So here we are. Nice.

Lol

We'll be having game of Lyrans affiliated (House Steiner) counterintellingence department. So this limit us to Lyran nationality, unless any of you wish to start as someone else (born in some other corner of the galaxy, that somehow landed on Port Moseby and after all required screening got into CIO).

If you read the universe startbook, and it jumped to you that you REALLY REALLY want to be from the Periphery or anywhere else let me know - this will have impact on creation.

Wait...had you heard that...
"...The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne Sichr..."
« Last Edit: 03 July 2014, 09:09:05 by Sichr »

Xzylvador

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2014, 13:33:19 »
Sorry, I think I mentioned it but if not: kind of on vacation. So don't expect too much activity just yet.
That said, I did replace my original holiday reading material with the stuff you sent me. :)

Minerva

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2014, 16:29:41 »
I am interested to join to this endeavor.

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2014, 17:01:48 »
Yeah, I know xzyl, just wanted to see if you manage to join the forums :)

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2014, 17:07:31 »
I am interested to join to this endeavor.

Sure, why not, 4 is a good numer of players. Might be one more coming as I wait for the reply still.
Anyway, keep in mind, we're all fairly new to the settings. I had some 20 years ago been a battletech player, but I'm not much of the sourcebooks wikipedia, and I reserve myself right to change things.

If you're ok with that, go ahead. What kind of character you have in mind?

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2014, 17:22:51 »
o. let's start with a stage-0

Lyran Alliance (House Steiner) affiliation:

Loosely patterned on feudal Germany, with other Western European infl uences apparent (most notably Swiss and Scottish), the Lyran Alliance—originally known as the Lyran Commonwealth—is a heavily industrialized and mercantile realm. Many Lyrans see warfare as a dirty business and simply aspire to great wealth or high social standing. As a result, the Lyran military frequently comes off as lackluster, while Lyran merchants and political leaders seem ruthlessly sharp.

this is what all of you will get.

primary language is german and secondary ones are English, Italian, Scots Gaelic, Swedish

the mechanic of the system is such that you pump your experience points into both attributes, skills and traits. Traits are something like qualities in SR. Attributes take 100 xp per level, same as traits (negative traits give bonus xp), and skills take 20 xp per level.

for lyran affiliation you get following starting bonuses
[Attributes] WIL (–50 XP), EDG (–50 XP); [Traits] Equipped (+100 XP), Extra Income (+50 XP), Wealth (+100 XP), Choose either Combat Paralysis or Glass Jaw (–100 XP); [Skills] Negotiation (+15 XP), Appraisal (+10 XP), Protocol/Lyran (+15 XP)

Unless you want to come from the province we'll start the game in roll d5 for starting province. Province beeing a group of ca 50 worlds.

don't worry about noting everything above, I'll do the math for you.

Going to stage 1 (early childhood) (out of 5 in total).
Tell me if you character was: farmboy, common city dwellers child (factory workers or maybe richer class), born to low streets or maybe born to some nobles, or slaves or fugitives,

Dread_Pirate

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2014, 17:23:22 »
How do I get my hands on the required readings as well?

--- aka Tyberius, from the Palladium Knights forums

Sup Girls.

I have a battletech RPG book that I bought 20 years ago somewhere, I bet it might be out of date.  Some of what you guys are talking about is ringing a very faint and vague bell.

Sounds like a good opportunity to try using some of that 1 year of German I took in college.  Das ist Fantastish!
« Last Edit: 03 July 2014, 17:26:46 by Dread_Pirate »

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2014, 17:50:12 »
can't write a single sentence in german despite reading and speaking just a bit
as for the books, I'll forward you the quickstart rules (they are free books that you could also download from the main page).

Minerva

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2014, 06:07:27 »
Tell me if you character was: farmboy, common city dwellers child (factory workers or maybe richer class), born to low streets or maybe born to some nobles, or slaves or fugitives,

Naturally her parents were nobles.

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2014, 06:32:26 »
So it is SHE - cool. What is the general concept?
what province did you choose? or should I randomly roll? did you choose glass jaw or combat paralysis from stage-0?

for noble birth you get:

NOBILITY
Module Cost: 215 XP
The noble-born character is blessed with the most privileged of upbringings, receiving upper class status, top-rate education and a luxurious lifestyle where every need and many desires are automatically met. As a result, “bluebloods” often seem cultured, but suff er from the indulgences of their soft lives.

Prerequisites: Any non-Clan affiliation (completed); 5+ TP (total) in Title, Wealth or Property Traits (so far you get +2,5 in Wealth, but need to be fullfilled by the end of the creation)

Fixed XPs: [Attributes] STR (–75 XP), BOD (–75 XP), RFL (–50 XP), INT (+100 XP), CHA (+100 XP); [Traits] Equipped (+125 XP), Enemy (–200 XP), Glass Jaw (–100 XP), Reputation (+175 XP), Wealth (+150XP); [Skills] Appraisal (+5 XP), Art/Any (+10 XP), Interest/Any (+10XP), Language/Affi liation (+10 XP), Protocol/Affi liation (+10 XP)
Flexible XPs: +5 XP each to any four Attributes, Traits or Skills

you need to distribute 20 xp in 5 points packages and choose the interest field

Sichr

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 04 July 2014, 08:19:24 »
Ah. Omar would love this company :)

Minerva

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 04 July 2014, 09:27:43 »
So it is SHE - cool. What is the general concept?
what province did you choose? or should I randomly roll? did you choose glass jaw or combat paralysis from stage-0?

I can easily imagine her as a lady with a taste of blood and adventure who sees military as an easy way for experiencing extreme sports before settling down for real duties and marriage.

She naturally comes from Tharkad, The Only Planet in the Inner Sphere with a decent night life.

Her perfect slim figure comes from endless sacrifices and a firm no-no even when facing chocolate chip cupcakes. This is best simulated with Glass Jaw (her exact weight is Classified information).

for noble birth you get:

NOBILITY
Module Cost: 215 XP
The noble-born character is blessed with the most privileged of upbringings, receiving upper class status, top-rate education and a luxurious lifestyle where every need and many desires are automatically met. As a result, “bluebloods” often seem cultured, but suff er from the indulgences of their soft lives.

Prerequisites: Any non-Clan affiliation (completed); 5+ TP (total) in Title, Wealth or Property Traits (so far you get +2,5 in Wealth, but need to be fullfilled by the end of the creation)

Fixed XPs: [Attributes] STR (–75 XP), BOD (–75 XP), RFL (–50 XP), INT (+100 XP), CHA (+100 XP); [Traits] Equipped (+125 XP), Enemy (–200 XP), Glass Jaw (–100 XP), Reputation (+175 XP), Wealth (+150XP); [Skills] Appraisal (+5 XP), Art/Any (+10 XP), Interest/Any (+10XP), Language/Affi liation (+10 XP), Protocol/Affiliation (+10 XP)
Flexible XPs: +5 XP each to any four Attributes, Traits or Skills

you need to distribute 20 xp in 5 points packages and choose the interest field

Oh yes, she is did go through passage of ballet dancing lessons in her childhood. This is best simulated with (Art/Any: add 10 xp).

She is not very interested in intellectual pursuits although studying history and status of Lyran nobility is her favorite hobby. Some would say it is only because she wants to marry a Steiner. This is best simulated with Interest/Any: Add 10 xp

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2014, 14:05:25 »
Ah. Omar would love this company :)

You're going to recreate him here?

Netzgeist

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2014, 17:09:36 »
I've been reading something about the scenario, but it will be ages before it starts to make sense in my head, specially considering my current reading rate. Anyway, I'm toying with some ideas in my head, and I guess I can give a try at this process.

So, I'm going to play a gifted technician.

Her parents were factory workers on Alexandria (she hails from the Skye Province).

And Omar would simply love her if he were brought here. Except he maybe wouldn't. Who knows? I'm not a good person-reader.  ;D

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 05 July 2014, 05:50:20 »
@minerva Tharkad means Donegal Province   [Attributes] WIL (+50 XP); [Traits] Compulsion/greed (–75 XP), Connections (+50 XP),Reputation (–50 XP), Wealth (+50 XP); [Skills]Appraisal (+10 XP), Negotiation (+10 XP),Protocol/Lyran (+15 XP)

@netzgeist - Skye bonuses
Skye Province[Attributes] WIL (+100 XP); [Traits] Connections(+85 XP), Reputation (–150 XP); [Skills]Language/Scots Gaelic (+10 XP), Negotiation(+15 XP), Protocol/Lyran (–15 XP), Streetwise/Lyran (+15 XP)

Blue collars bonuses:
Fixed XPs: [Attributes]: STR (+45 XP), BOD (+50 XP), DEX(+50 XP), INT (+25 XP), WIL (–10 XP), CHA (–10 XP); [Skills]Career/Any (+10 XP), Interest/Any two (+5 XP each)Flexible XPs: +10 XP each to any four Attributes, Traits or Skills:

Select career type - I suggest either engineer or soldier career. Select two interests you pursue. And distribute 4 packages of 10xp. Choose between glass jaw or combat paralysis.

Sichr

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 05 July 2014, 06:30:30 »
You're going to recreate him here?

He would eat that bitch alive :) (and no, it isnt meant as an insult, Omar was just character with some apecific ethnnical traits that influenced his behavior towards women)
 X. I havent even finished reading of books youve sent us. I am familiar with the setting as Ive played my share of battles and built mechs when I was  on uni and Ive read Gray death series IIRC. Well current rules for RPG are mystery to me.

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 05 July 2014, 06:33:32 »
Don't let it stop you.
Choose homeworld and stage-1.

Netzgeist

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 05 July 2014, 16:22:28 »
@netzgeist - Skye bonuses
Skye Province[Attributes] WIL (+100 XP); [Traits] Connections(+85 XP), Reputation (–150 XP); [Skills]Language/Scots Gaelic (+10 XP), Negotiation(+15 XP), Protocol/Lyran (–15 XP), Streetwise/Lyran (+15 XP)

Blue collars bonuses:
Fixed XPs: [Attributes]: STR (+45 XP), BOD (+50 XP), DEX(+50 XP), INT (+25 XP), WIL (–10 XP), CHA (–10 XP); [Skills]Career/Any (+10 XP), Interest/Any two (+5 XP each)Flexible XPs: +10 XP each to any four Attributes, Traits or Skills:

Select career type - I suggest either engineer or soldier career. Select two interests you pursue. And distribute 4 packages of 10xp. Choose between glass jaw or combat paralysis.

That early in her life, it was easier to her to get the basics of the practical part of the work of her parents, rather than the more theoretical one - so for career, she will have Technician (don't worry, she will have a dash of engineer and soldier soon). For her interests, she will get K-F Drive and Music, and the selection for the four batches +10 Flexible XP will go to the skills Perception and Language: German, and to the traits Dexterity and Willpower.

And definitely Glass Jaw. This girl may not be the most fit, but she will sure be quick on her feet and not that easily frightened. I remember far too well how Combat Paralysis can kill you.  O0
« Last Edit: 05 July 2014, 17:39:25 by Netzgeist »

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 07 July 2014, 02:36:35 »
combat paralysis is not as crippling here as in SR - mind you that the entire combat mechanics is much less deadly.

btw. fro those of you that hadn't figured it out yet (took myself a while to get it) the setting's related tech capabilities is purposefully kept around Earth 1990 level. Meaning the most of what you can use now is pretty much distant future for most of the worlds in Battletech.

Just keep in mind that current level of cellphones is about half a kilo and there is not much in terms of WiFi coverage ;)

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 07 July 2014, 03:21:26 »
okay, waiting fro Xzyl, pirate and sichr for their stage-1.
Netz and Minerva are ready for stage-3 (late childhood).
Netz I assume you go to high school? Or you have some sudden twist in your life going on?
Minerva what is next for you? High school? Military School? Preparatory school?

Minerva

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 07 July 2014, 06:16:25 »
Minerva what is next for you? High school? Military School? Preparatory school?

You are so silly, are there really no other schools than Tharkad Preparatory School for Young Ladies.

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 07 July 2014, 08:00:49 »
You are so silly, are there really no other schools than Tharkad Preparatory School for Young Ladies.

:)
well played,

Fixed XPs: [Attributes] CHA (+60 XP); [Traits] Connections (+40 XP), Extra Income (+20 XP), Gregarious (+20 XP); [Skills] Archery (+20 XP), Computers (+25 XP), Interest/Any (+30 XP), Interest/Any (+20), Interest/Any (+20 XP), Language/Any (+20 XP), MedTech (+10 XP), Melee Weapons (+15 XP), Protocol/Affi liation (+40 XP)

Flexible XPs: +160 XP (up to 80 XP may be applied to Traits)

If you are aiming to study in Tharkad U, there will be some additonal prereqs*: [Attributes] INT 5+, [Traits] Connection (+400 XP), Wealth (+400). Other universities go with standard [Attributes] INT 4+ since you finished preparatory school.

Anyway, you have so far:
Art/Ballet (10)
Interest/Lyran politics and nobility (10)

select 3 interests fields you studied in preparatory (+30/+20/+20) and distribute 160 xp in flexible points. After that, you might tell me about stage-3 (higher education) unless you go straight to stage-4 (real life)

* for the rest of you mechanics is that if there is a prerequsite to complete the given life module, it has to be completed BY THE END of creation. You'll be adding xps to the traits attributes, skills and there will be a pool to distribute on by the end.

Dread_Pirate

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: 07 July 2014, 09:04:37 »
I'm trying to catch up on some setting and game background.  It's been a long time since I have thought about battletech.  I have played this on table top 20 years ago.  But never the RP style version.

I was out of town for my daughters softball tournament this weekend.  I'll pick some starting ideas today or tonight.  If everyone has some ideas on their jobs, let me know what a good compliment character would be.  I really don't mind trying anything out, and it would help to have a little direction and pair down the options for me as a beginner to the setting and game, at this point.

Thanks.

(I'll go with Noble for my yet to be named character and I'll take Glass Jaw.)
« Last Edit: 07 July 2014, 11:32:44 by Dread_Pirate »

Register