Author Topic: Your favorite dueling Light Mech  (Read 10372 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Your favorite dueling Light Mech
« Reply #30 on: 10 January 2019, 15:40:57 »
#1) In a light mech dual, it is unlikely they will inflict 40+ points of damage.
#2) That isn't a typo. According to errata, it PSR damage numbers are based on number of bubbles filled, so it takes 40 pts (20 bubbles) to force a PSR.

Well, it only takes 20 points of damage if you're using AP autocannon rounds, but the Urbanmech with the AC/20 is the only light mech capable of doing that in existence, barring a custom.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Scarabus yet.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: 10 January 2019, 15:55:33 »
To each his own.

Wouldn't be hard to update the -1W... just DHS it up and clan-tech the lasers. Boom instant Dark Age mech.

I played the against the -1W once, I was honestly impressed at how effective it was at killing other lights.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Vash The Stampede

• Captain
  • LOVE AND PEACE!!!
« Reply #32 on: 10 January 2019, 20:25:23 »
I pick the Incubus. That little mech has done well by me in running rings around my enemy. I usually like to run it with some Jenner IICs or other fast 3055 second-line Clan units.
I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that.

"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....." (Quote used by Jesse Richards (ExtremeBloodAspUser))

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #33 on: 10 January 2019, 22:56:34 »
Wolfhound is a good choice,  ut if this is dark age you might want to spring for a Havoc.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #34 on: 10 January 2019, 23:00:09 »
So . . . I think people are really missing 3145?  Which for one means its after the Wolves have occupied Solaris VII . . . so Clan tech should really not be hard to get.

I'm old-fashioned, and don't know the newer stuff as well. And I'd probably still run my choices in 3145 as a result. And maybe even a UM-R80 or WSP-1W. Because I'm never going to be on the cover of Sanity Faire.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 11 January 2019, 00:27:59 »
What about a mech with a bunch of Re-Engineered Lasers?  Ignore whatever screwy armor your opponent wants to use?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #36 on: 11 January 2019, 00:36:10 »
In my Alpha Strike forces I have quite a few Koshi 3s (the new versions) I love those fast little buggers!! Yes they are squishy but so much fun to run around like a kid after 4 pounds of Halloween candy!
After that I like the Solitaire. But it seems too good to me usually. Not "struggling merc" enough.  ;)
« Last Edit: 11 January 2019, 00:38:05 by Major Headcase »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 11 January 2019, 01:20:50 »
I don't really care for the Solitaire in light mech duels.  The attack penalty for heavy lasers is too problematic when you're typically already looking at 6+gunnery for an attack at short range (running and +4 TMM).  I have more fun sending it against larger, slower moving prey.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #38 on: 11 January 2019, 22:50:41 »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Scarabus yet.
The Scarabus, while okay for its day, doesn't age well.  If it doesn't get into melee the amount of damage it can deal is inconsequential.  It's still useful outside of a duel, but unless you can get a good hit with hatchet it is underwhelming.

In my Alpha Strike forces I have quite a few Koshi 3s (the new versions) I love those fast little buggers!! Yes they are squishy but so much fun to run around like a kid after 4 pounds of Halloween candy!
After that I like the Solitaire. But it seems too good to me usually. Not "struggling merc" enough.  ;)
The Koshi 3 is a bit to squish for my tastes in a duel.  It's a good lance/star mate when it can be ignored in favor a larger target.  The fact that it can be disarmed with a couple shots of a Large Pulse/SnPPC makes it unattractive to me a dueling mech.  I enjoy a Solitaire, but as Ogre mentioned when facing another fast target that +1 to with with heavy lasers is a big factor in who wins of losses a match.  Both the Solitaire and the Scarabus could use a good DA upgrade.

What about a mech with a bunch of Re-Engineered Lasers?  Ignore whatever screwy armor your opponent wants to use?
If you get into custom mechs I suppose you can make one, but the value of that mech comes down to entirely what your opponent is running.  Looking at the existing designs there are a handful of mechs that take advantage of special armor types that ReLas would fielding against.  The designs that worth playing are the Gunsmith, Hollander III, Urbanmech, and Silver Fox.  Counter to that ReLas designs out there are the Ebony, Spider, Nyx, Prey Seeker.

None of those ReLas designs are all that impressive and have much weaker armor profiles.  The Ebony and the Spider make the most sense of the two to use as they feature a Large ReLas.  That is more likely to make a difference with the longer range than the other 2 which have no range advantage at all.  I'd put my money on any of those special armor mechs 100% of the time to come out ahead against those ReLas armed mechs.

While I'm at it, I should say that the Ebony MEB-9 is a nice little dueling machine as well, speed, stealth, snub, and TSM if it gets warm enough to really do some damage to something in melee should it have to deal with a target that has reflective armor.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 11 January 2019, 22:55:01 »
Don't forget that Re-lasers got dev-level errata to boost their effectiveness: they enjoy a -1TN bonus.  That absolutely helps factor favorably in the context of light mech duelling where you're likely to see high TMMS.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 11 January 2019, 23:01:26 »
If you get into custom mechs I suppose you can make one, but the value of that mech comes down to entirely what your opponent is running.  Looking at the existing designs there are a handful of mechs that take advantage of special armor types that ReLas would fielding against.  The designs that worth playing are the Gunsmith, Hollander III, Urbanmech, and Silver Fox.  Counter to that ReLas designs out there are the Ebony, Spider, Nyx, Prey Seeker.

ReLas work against Hardened and FL armor as well as Reflective.  That means the Rokurokubi is another thing you can use them on.  And given its lack of firepower, that can really tilt the odds in your favor against it.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 11 January 2019, 23:13:22 »
Don't forget that Re-lasers got dev-level errata to boost their effectiveness: they enjoy a -1TN bonus.
I didn't forget.  More to the point, their weight cost relative to that -1 benefit still leaves them offensively underwhelming.  If I'm anything aside from that Urbanmech though I'm not that terribly worried about a ReLas.

ReLas work against Hardened and FL armor as well as Reflective.  That means the Rokurokubi is another thing you can use them on.  And given its lack of firepower, that can really tilt the odds in your favor against it.
Left those out didn't I?  So the 4T is fairly forgetable in the firepower department, but will be out there for awhile.  The 4K carries an ER PPC which makes it a bit harder design to ignore.  The ReLas designs available simply can't exchange and soak the damage as well on the return.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 12 January 2019, 00:32:49 »
No, but neither can any other light mech.  At least with ReLas, you've got a decent chance of punching through its armor quickly.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #43 on: 12 January 2019, 03:35:33 »
To me a dueling light mech is all about speed, piloting finesse, speed, intelligent use of cover, and speed.  ^-^
If I'm running fast enough to blow my eyebrows off I don't need armor. ECM and MASC makes me happy.
A Targeting Computer and 6 Heavy Small Lasers makes my opponent sad.
Great combo.  :thumbsup:

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 12 January 2019, 20:43:35 »
A Targeting Computer and 6 Heavy Small Lasers makes my opponent sad.
It can, but it telegraphs exactly where you have to be if you want to shoot someone effectively.  To me that is a huge disadvantage.  Assuming we are still talking about the Koshi 3, the TAG in a duel does nothing and the ECM and probe isn't going that will positively effect a battle unless you are planning on using advance rules.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #45 on: 13 January 2019, 14:21:27 »
Very true. 

A Firemoth-H is great in a 1v1 duel, but on a big board with a lance+ of mechs per side, it has a MUCH harder time finding a way to get in for that backstab w/o also getting pasted by fire from the friend of its target.

I think I might like that Jenner-LL Prototype version as a Dueling mech.
LL to harass other ML boats from range & still 2 ML in close when your jumping 5.
Seems like a good combo to me but I don't think I've ever seen one on the table top in 30+ years of gaming.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 13 January 2019, 15:06:15 »
Even in a duel, a Dasher H has issues.  It's completely dependent on winning initiative in order to be able to attack.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #47 on: 13 January 2019, 18:02:08 »
Hmm... Toss between Banshee and Zeus ;D

No, no. You have to do it right: The Charger - 1A1
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #48 on: 14 January 2019, 00:50:24 »
If this is a duel where a certain amount of Sportsmanship is expected such as solaris or clan trials, the Mjolnir and Storm Raider should be taken into account. Mace cares little for reflec and hits hard enough that even a hardened light winces.

Impact resistant armor likewise removes opposing melee options
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 14 January 2019, 01:11:29 »
Eh, it's still only nine damage a hit from the Storm Raider, not terribly impressive against a mech with Hardened Armor (and the Ryu is faster anyway, so that makes trying to melee against it difficult).  And the one variant with Impact Resistant Armor is armed with a RAC/2, which is going to be really ineffective against Hardened Armor.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #50 on: 14 January 2019, 01:54:12 »
Even in a duel, a Dasher H has issues.  It's completely dependent on winning initiative in order to be able to attack.

Which is why we have Fire Moth Ds.

Or for the 0/0 connoisseurs the Fire Moth (Aletha).

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 15 January 2019, 18:47:06 »
Quote from: Hellraiser
I think I might like that Jenner-LL Prototype version as a Dueling mech.
LL to harass other ML boats from range & still 2 ML in close when your jumping 5.
Seems like a good combo to me but I don't think I've ever seen one on the table top in 30+ years of gaming.

It's a bit of an odd duck.  Its armor is better than a Hussar, sure, but it's still not that great, and it spends 2 tons on an extra pair of heat sinks that I'm not sure it needs: it ought have been better served by using those on a pair of medium lasers, one in each arm, or more armor.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #52 on: 05 February 2019, 23:33:57 »
I didn't realize it had reduced armor.
I was thinking it just traded the SRM & 2 ML in for the LL & kept 10 HS.

In that case,  I revise my statement & since its a Dark Age question per the OP....  I'd go Gunsmith, that speed, the armor, the extra range & to hit bonus.   Yeah, Gunsmith.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 07 February 2019, 13:55:35 »
I didn't realize it had reduced armor.
I was thinking it just traded the SRM & 2 ML in for the LL & kept 10 HS.

In that case,  I revise my statement & since its a Dark Age question per the OP....  I'd go Gunsmith, that speed, the armor, the extra range & to hit bonus.   Yeah, Gunsmith.

Yeah, that was my impression of the JR7-A before I saw the specs, and had that been the case, I'd be all over it.  I kinda want to build one out that way and see how it runs, because that has the potential to be phenomenal.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #54 on: 07 February 2019, 14:02:16 »
it's not dissimilar to a Mongoose 68 where you trade armor for jump jets.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 08 February 2019, 10:02:12 »
Stock variants, I think the PNT-16K fits the OP’s time window.

Heat sinks to jump and shoot, streaks so no wasted ammunition.

Only overheats if the streaks fire and not that badly if both do. That being said, is 2 SSRM4s hit a light mech I am not complaining about heat.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #56 on: 08 February 2019, 10:03:47 »
Stock variants, I think the PNT-16K fits the OP’s time window.

Heat sinks to jump and shoot, streaks so no wasted ammunition.

Only overheats if the streaks fire and not that badly if both do. That being said, is 2 SSRM4s hit a light mech I am not complaining about heat.

Actually that's a pretty solid choice. Good call, I forgot about that one. You win a cookie.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #57 on: 08 February 2019, 10:29:54 »
Faster than 4/6?  If not then I will take a pass . . . among the lights, you have the quick and the dead.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 08 February 2019, 11:24:35 »
Faster than 4/6?  If not then I will take a pass . . . among the lights, you have the quick and the dead.

I mean, if custom is allowed I rip out the PPC for a large pulse. Suddenly that movement modifier isn’t so hard a hurdle to get past.

While I don’t think speed is normally critical, I’ve had success bringing heavy armor and weapons with lights.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #59 on: 08 February 2019, 11:39:21 »
How about a Raptor F.  7/11/7, 5 ER Medium lasers, 13 DHS.  Not much armor, and IS XL engine, but it does good sustained damage and can move well.

And cheap on BV, so you can put in a better pilot.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Register