Author Topic: Need help fighting tanks!!!  (Read 20463 times)

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
Re: Need help fighting tanks!!!
« Reply #90 on: 19 March 2020, 23:04:25 »
One of the greatest uses of tanks is that of the double blind bluff. Recon is key.
  I agree. The "Fog of War" can be a force multiplier for players, or death. My main character was a scout and the GM ran strategic-level campaigns where teams spent a lot of time maneuvering while I specialized in hunter/killer efforts to "poke their eyes out" and knock out their scouting elements. Active Probes and ECM were worth more than their weight in gold.
  My GM was always entertained, and said it was like watching "Spy vs Spy" as players maneuvered under double blind conditions.

I've played both Defender and OPFOR in the Luthien campaign, which the GM ran several players through, commanding their personal units. Despite their equipment, Clan forces lose air supremacy by day two, so enemy air assets can track your formations almost at will.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #91 on: 20 March 2020, 03:27:20 »
That sounds about right... As I recall, even FASA admitted the clan edge was much less in aero.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 20 March 2020, 03:54:15 »
That sounds about right... As I recall, even FASA admitted the clan edge was much less in aero.
  The random pilot skill charts for Clan Aero and IS were very close, I believe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #93 on: 20 March 2020, 13:58:36 »
And the technology edge was blunted in space too, just due to the environment.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 20 March 2020, 16:35:50 »
  I've played Clans enough to realize that Omnifighters tended to be very short-winded and had low linger times. They were more for dueling as opposed to strike missions or CAP. Drop tanks were a must, as the IS players would avoid combat just to burn fuel. The good thing about Omnifighters is that I could configure them to drop Elementals behind enemy lines, which caused gratifying chaos under double blind conditions.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #95 on: 20 March 2020, 16:37:42 »
I'm sure it did!  :thumbsup:

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #96 on: 20 March 2020, 16:40:56 »
I've used FASCAM A4 in single round salvos.

Makes a very nice surprise...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 20 March 2020, 17:30:44 »
I've used FASCAM A4 in single round salvos.

Makes a very nice surprise...

TT
  The ultimate weakness of a static position is the vulnerability to indirect fire. There isn't much you can do if the enemy starts raining LRM fire, especially Infernos on a vehicle or infantry, and far worse when real artillery is deployed.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #98 on: 20 March 2020, 18:20:00 »
Heh.. in one campaign game, our GM threw us against a fixed position with LRMs.  We had a Vulcan.  Granted, we had to reload the thing like three times, but we didn't take any damage at all...  ^-^

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 20 March 2020, 21:57:07 »
Heh.. in one campaign game, our GM threw us against a fixed position with LRMs.  We had a Vulcan.  Granted, we had to reload the thing like three times, but we didn't take any damage at all...  ^-^
  That's one reason why I usually play tested scenarios on MegaMek...Multiple times. I had no problem when the players were innovative.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 21 March 2020, 13:03:11 »
The BoK trilogy pretty much implied that clan fighters were essentially Star League tech (XLFEs were not even legal on fighters at the time). The later canon designs eat IS fighers as snacks (well, as long as you avoid the crappier ones).

EDIT: In addition the AT1 damage systems made clan fighters a lot more vulnerable which evened the odds some more.

On topic: AC/2s and LRM5s to plink at vehicles at long range, or charge in with MLs and SRMs and trash the Vees quickly.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2020, 13:11:32 by Sabelkatten »

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 01 April 2020, 10:28:14 »
  That's one reason why I usually play tested scenarios on MegaMek...Multiple times. I had no problem when the players were innovative.
But you're going to make them earn it?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: 07 April 2020, 16:05:19 »
But you're going to make them earn it?
  I design the scenario and present them with basic information. They are free to expand that information by using what skills and materials they have available, such as scouting operations, etc., in order to stack the deck, which is expected. In a city fight, my character tapped into the public traffic camera streams to track enemy movement. The system was hard wired so could not be jammed. When I played Clan OPFOR on Luthien, one of the players marched a lance of Assault 'Mechs into Basin Lake. I sent a point of Elementals configured for sensor ops to plant sensors every 500 meters along the shore and the player emerged near a small town, with a Star of Assault Omnis waiting...The player commanded two over-strengthed regiments and managed to get captured. I'll ask him if I could post the write-up in my fanfic but he's never been able to live it down... "It would have worked against anyone else." I took it as a compliment.

Register