Author Topic: GenCon Diorama 2018 - The Making of Misery  (Read 2255 times)

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
GenCon Diorama 2018 - The Making of Misery
« on: 22 August 2018, 14:37:25 »
I thought some folks might enjoy a look behind the CSO scenes.
So, while we were deciding on Misery as the setting, yours truly got tapped to do the diorama, and had to arrive at a size based on the expected output of 'Mechs and the setting.

Providence provided the guidance on size, as I ran across some 2'x3' chalkboard/dry-erase boards at Lowe's, and realized they would be the perfect base.
Next up, at the recommendation of the board veterans I went with pink foam board for the main material, specifically, this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-Panels-FOAMULAR-1-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-R-5-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-100320356-_-203553730-_-N

The other main requirement for this project was an offshoot of a product I use for my own minis' bases:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060KOCXU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Notably, this stuff in quantity isn't cheap when working on big projects.  There was probably $75 worth of the stuff on the board when I finished.
There were several other materials involved that'll get mentioned as we go.

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
Re: GenCon Diorama 2018 - The Making of Misery
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2018, 14:40:07 »
Now, as I assembled the materials, the board design had to be arrived at.  This was dictated by the scenario depicted.  In the end, we wanted Michi/Dechan/Minobu on the board, plus we knew we had a Sword of Light dropship being made, and we wanted that to be the centerpiece.  That led to a combining of two battles from the Wolves on the Border novel and associated touchpoint PDF product.  To divide the two battles up, a mountain range/ridge was decided on as a dividing point, and the rough layout was born.

Black are Dragoons, pressing the 8th Sword to their dropship, and Michi (red), Minoru, and Ryuken (gray) to the north.
Blue/yellow is Jamie.  Blue/blue is Dechan.  Black/white is the white Griffin (which never made it to the final cut).

That eventually translated roughly to this:

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2018, 14:40:24 »
I don't have a lot of in-progress photos after the initial assembly, so let me lay out the process in text:
1.  The foam boards were 2'x2', so I cut one in half and glued a half on each 2'x3' chalkboard along with a full 2'x'2 foamboard.
2.  The mountain was built with increasingly smaller layers of foam board cut out using a hobby knife, and then Gorilla Glued down (and clamped) overnight.
3.  The two seams in the foam boards were covered with bug-catching glue strips courtesy of Orkin.  In one place, I carved out a portion of a seam to represent a crevasse.
4.  Small hills were cut out of foam board and glued to the board. 
5.  A thin layer of modelling paste was applied to the whole board to prevent spray paint from eating the foam.
6.  Rocks (yes, real rocks) and additional paste were added for further texture.  The additional paste is definitely notable to help cover the glue strips' transition.
7.  The frickin' mountain was fleshed out using modelling paste....definitely the most labor-intensive part.  Of note: modelling paste takes on a flowing finish naturally.  You have to rough this up as it dries (and becomes less malleable) to get a realistic natural finish.  Also watch out for "points" where you finish a stroke with your sculpting tool.  I went back with wire cutters and cut off literally hundreds of them.
8.  Shell holes were added using small amounts of modelling paste and the blunt end of a paint brush to push the paste out in a circular pattern.
9.  The entire board was painted in a base coat of a dark gray spray paint, with a chalky finish.
10. Using the dropship as a measuring tool, and an IWM resin model for engine layout guidance, I traced the exahust pattern on the board where the dropship would be, then used various dark gray and black paints to create a scorched effect. 
11.  I expanded the trace to where I thought snow would've melted from the landing.
12.  Using a single layer of crackle paint, I put down a layer of "ice" to represent the edge of the melted snow around the dropship landing site.
13.  Using painter's tape, I marked out the dropship landing site, and I covered the shell holes with old pill bottles.
14.  I then put down a layer of matte varnish (Krylon's IIRC) across the board, and sprinkled the whole thing with scenic snow.  I let the flow of the terrain help determine how much I sprinkled where (picture which way the wind would blow, etc).
15.  I then sprayed the snow with the matte coat again, including some forceful spraying up close.  Some snow left the table.  Most balled up or stuck to nearby built-up areas, giving it a real natural-looking variance.
16. I removed the painter's tape and pill bottles, and used my finger to touch up a few places.  Where I thought extra snow was needed, I used Vallejo matte varnish and a brush to add some extra sticky and then sprinkle on more snow.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2018, 16:06:15 by 00Dawg »

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2018, 14:40:36 »
That got us to here:

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2018, 14:41:14 »
I then realized the seam between the two 2'x3' boards was too pronounced, and I needed some small hills jutting over it.  So, I grabbed some pieces of pine bark, sprayed them, glued them on, highlighted them quickly with some Vallejo Model Color grays, and then sprinkled on some snow.
That resulted in this:

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2018, 14:41:56 »
Before I left, I realized the main seam still need more coverage, so I grabbed some bigger bark, and prepared some portable examples to help hide that seam.
Then, in all it's glory:

CDT Special Agent #343

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2018, 14:42:24 »
Takeaways:
1.  We didn't know the table arrangement at GenCon...if we had, the mountain would've been much closer to the edge, and we wouldn't have wasted the space behind it.  We were expecting a single table that folks would walk around.
2.  The snow was unexpectedly resilient...until you started putting 'Mechs on it .  You could turn the boards vertical and very little snow would come loose.  But shift around the 'Mechs, and you produced a growing layer of loose particulate, not to mention it stuck to certain basing materials.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2018, 16:08:56 by 00Dawg »

CDT Special Agent #343

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2018, 15:35:24 »
Thanks for sharing, and building it.  The Dioramas have always been my favorite coming from Gencon, love to see a new one!
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2018, 19:02:25 »
Cool layout  :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2018, 23:40:44 »
Thank you very much for sharing all this.  The CSO dioramas are something I look forward to.  I'll likely never see them in person, but love seeing all the photos.  Truly great work by yourself and your fellow CSO mates! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
« Reply #10 on: 26 August 2018, 20:44:13 »
Matt you did a great job. The board looked amazing! Thanks for the behind the scenes look at things.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #11 on: 27 August 2018, 02:36:48 »
Looking great!