Author Topic: Custom miniture work  (Read 975 times)

Scraplet

• Recruit
Custom miniture work
« on: 20 March 2018, 17:59:12 »
So first time posting,  some friends and I just recently started to get back into Battletech.  I looked around at the models of my favorite mechs, and I was left wanting.  So being a drafter and designer in my professional life I decided to try my hand at working up my own. models. Peer review is always welcome.

Please note these are all 100% original designs by me, and will be printed off solely for my own usage.

If you asked me for a list of my top 10 favorite mechs,  the Hatchetman would be near the top of that list.  I know it's not the fastest, toughest, or shootiest mech around.  But it has style, and style counts in my book.

As you can see I'm not finished,  I still need to complete the hands, hatchet, autocannon, head, and add a few armor details.  Over all the model is approximately 55mm tall and 24mm wide,  which at 1:180 (or 10mm scale)  is about 10m in height. For those of you who are interested, sketchup is my software of choice for this.

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Custom miniture work
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2018, 18:17:23 »
Hi Scraplet!
Did you build it by anchor-points? Or just by knowing the off-sets for geometry then repositioned each piece after building...

Looks good so far!
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Scraplet

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2018, 12:55:06 »
I used neither for the most part.  I designed almost everything in place.  Before starting on this project I spent quite some time analysing various imagery for the Hatchetman mech, and figuring out the scaling, spacing, and over all volumetric needs of the various aspects of the mech (ie arms, legs, chest, etc). I have several pages in my sketchbook devoted to understanding the proportions and alignment of parts, both in detail and in the abstract. From there I was able to block out the general shapes as individual groups, which I could then go into individually and modify.  In sketchup there is an option to change weather or not an item outside of a group is visible while working in a group.  I routinely work with the option to turn all objects outside of the group invisible. This keeps other items from obstructing my view and reduces the need to move parts out of place to work them.

There were times when I needed to pull copies out of place when I was not happy with the particular geometry of a part so I could work on it next to the original, or even a third or fourth copy where I worked out various ideas. In those times I would space things out a certain amount along a specific axis so I could easily move the part back into the original work.

Scraplet

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2018, 08:37:30 »
So I've been chugging along in my spare time working on the hands for the hatchetman. Now I had two options to go with when I started working on them,  either A) I could simply block out a hand as one solid mass and not worry about it moving or B) I could design a fully articulated hand where I could then reposition the fingers as needed; well I'm a masochist so I chose option B. Now on the bright side, if I decided to make my own Atlas model I can scale the hand up and make it so the Atlas is giving everyone the finger.

On a side note, while I was going through all the trouble to design this hand I was struck with a few questions;  Would battlemech designers use one standard sized hand for all mechs? Why would mech designers even use a fully articularted human style hand as opposed to claw style grippers or some other more industrialized hand?

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2018, 16:15:24 »
Kung Fu Grip! :D