Author Topic: Terrain Hex Pack in progress  (Read 170972 times)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
Terrain Hex Pack in progress
« on: 21 November 2013, 17:21:15 »
So, after a while from hobby, I continue long delayed work on my terrain :D

Those are exactly map sheet compatible tiles.
I added more structures for city and subburb, refined the texture layouts. I have some more building ideas, so will update once something will be ready. All that's present is enough to set up a city surround (HQ buildings, offices, power stations, factories-hangars and living blocks)
When I add some more stuff to those three sheets, I'll combine them into a downloadable archive

Need suggestions on terrain types from you guys!
Let me know if you're interested in this project, cause I plan to print those out, doublesided, on cardstock  ;)

Link to download the full pack: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cy94da1udh56ia1/Classic_Battletech_Map_Sheet_by_Whitar.7z
« Last Edit: 09 April 2015, 07:23:14 by Whitar »

Papabees

• Lieutenant
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress - 1st update
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2013, 16:31:00 »
I don't play with hexes but these look good brother. Nice work.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2013, 17:59:45 »
Thanks! I always liked hex terrain. BT is a board game, not a wargame as I think of it, and this board has to be designed well, as all other game pieces. I need to print those out and test during game. I plan to make modular map sets, with no pre-set terrain, you can make any custom layout. For that I'll need a clear hex map with 'landscape' texture (grass, desert,  whatever) and sets of terrain templates (hills, mountains, waters, trees and all other stuff). It will come in near future, as a world simmilar to Terra conditions, with vast green lands. Then the desert world, polar world, all with unique building types. This idea came from playing the SEGA game. Soon I'll post more, visit the thread once in a while;)
« Last Edit: 22 November 2013, 18:06:09 by Whitar »

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2013, 00:12:38 »
Looks great! I always wanted to do something like that but I lacked the artistic talent to pull it off.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2013, 00:28:39 »
Derp.  O0

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2013, 00:34:57 »
Oh wow that's really good!
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2013, 01:16:55 »
lurking.  Very nice.  I will use if made available.
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2013, 03:35:11 »
Thank you! Sure, I'll put the download link when I'm done with first set. It needs a map and hill tiles

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2013, 14:52:04 »
Ok, a quick update for today  ;)
Terrain is turning out as I wanted, with crisp detail and nice texture.

What are most common terrain types in Inner Sphere?  ::) I assume Earth'like enviroments are rather rare?

Samples of my desert canyon, polar tundra and green/tropical world

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2013, 23:09:01 »
Very good. But I think that the third one needs to have white hexes in order to contrast.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

SteveUK

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2013, 14:13:56 »
I would love to see an " Earth like" map, urban or countryside. excellent work by the way  O0

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2013, 14:53:43 »
Yep, working on it now. It will be a grassy valley with clear terrain
Unfortunatelly I had to reconsider the process and combine software to get where I want. I'll update the thread soon

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2013, 14:59:04 »
TAG.

Very cool, sir. Very cool indeed.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

kuttsinister7

• Master Sergeant
  • I send recon, then artillery, then main forces...
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2013, 15:27:58 »
Oh wow that's really good!

Awesome
If you can't reach for the stars, then call the Doom Stars. We will fix that for you...

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2013, 16:22:20 »
Thanks!
And I thought I had the most work with the top view buildings, now I see that terrain is taking a lot of wasted time on texture settings and rendering.. I use Bryce, but I'm so slow in it

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2013, 08:42:18 »
I like what i see so far. Those buildings are great. And while i tend to use 3D buildings on my hexmaps in the meanwhile i would give them a try. You don't plan to add them to HM Map ? ;)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2013, 09:02:30 »
Thanks for interest!
Nop, those are going to be included in my map set with clear green terrain map, with all those counters here too

But you can use then in HHM if you need so  O0

By the way, guys, give me some ideas about counters, what else could I add? Salvage markers, more difficult terrain types, maybe movement indicators (walked, jumped, ran)?

Will appresciate any input! As this project is growing big, and I meen at least three A4 sheets of terrain tiles and markers, also the first map is huge, 4 sheets of 17x15 hexes - 89x110 cm, I'm loosing focus on small and usefull features, or I already missed something important  :P

As I mentioned, after the city on clear valley terrain (grassy with no hills, as in quick start rules), I will proceed to desert or polar map, depends on the technique I'll use, and those will have their own structures/counters sets, including height levels made as tiles, so the map is not preset and modifiable
Hope that makes sense)
« Last Edit: 25 November 2013, 09:13:30 by Whitar »

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2013, 09:08:26 »
This is awesome. Plus, a great inspiration for 3D stuff.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2013, 09:15:23 »
Thank you! The first map is almost ready, here's some detail and overal 4 sheet view
Will add some color variation too

With some stuff on it

« Last Edit: 25 November 2013, 10:40:08 by Whitar »

Wotan

• Lieutenant
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress - 2nd update
« Reply #19 on: 25 November 2013, 12:18:25 »
The last sample you showed is not that useful i think. I understood you want everything done in same style. But for me as player there are already similar game markers with the last Hex Packs. Wood, Rubble, Rough and Ruins exist. Not sure about craters.
And one hint regarding the bridge - what is really a good idea. But most rivers on official maps run from one hex side to another hex side. But never from one corner to another. So that marker will not fit on official cards that well. And one more idea, if you plan to add river markers. I hate each and every river on official maps limited to one hex wide. Maybe you can consider to make some riverline markers - also usable as beach markers. That in mind a river that spans more than one hex would also be usefull. ;)

Waterfalls, rapids or some landing stages could be great. Canals with locks. Water mills for poor worlds.
Tunnel entrances
Dedicated sublevel markers - mostly you got markers for hills.
Train stations ? Markers for single rails or a number of rails as on train stations ?
Electrical towers with overhead cables ?
Some years back i created fun park elements for HM Map. Was funny to see my group stomping around that area not to inflict damage.
Monumentals of any kind ? Churches ?

You asked for ideas.  :D

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 25 November 2013, 13:14:39 »
Great! Some food for my mind  O0
Well, I don't intend to replace oficial maps or hex packs (I love the dropship temlate, for example), as those are plenty. But as fo myself, mostly all of those don't suit my taste in terms of design as a game piece. Why using same old 80s graphics in new products (I meen hex packs and new maps)? Why no redesign, incorporating CG? My only guess is that it was a fast, not prior product as it actually is. But, maps are not secondary pieces, are they?
Hey, sculpt some hills in 3d, lay down some textures, we have so many MW games, with tonns of terrain.. Nop, they had to print old drawings on new cardboard.. Not my cup of tea. Maybe it's not important, somebody enlighten me  :P

I'm not complaining, only sit and make my own, bit by bit learning some stuff and experimenting ;) That's a good practice fo me.
Ok, lirycs aside  :D

Rivers: I do want to make those, not tied to the map, in modular counters. All other suplementary design, like briges and stuff, will be added later. Need to start working on those too. Glad you said about river hex sides, I lost that aspect in woods tiles I make now  :)
As for other tips, are those churches and railway stations so usefull in game matters? I meen, if there is a point making some objectives, they better be military bases, hangars, SLDF bunkers, all that's worth fighting for. Yes, starports  [drool]
You must consider it should be interesting in top view. I have no skill in 3d modeling, anyway it could take forever to craft every piece, just to use it in orthogonal projection.

My reference is Sega Genesis Battletech game, and Mechcommander, of cource. I have the MC2 open source with game materials and models, but it's cheating.

Thank you for your ideas, I'm checking this thread all the timefor more feedback
« Last Edit: 25 November 2013, 13:25:01 by Whitar »

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 25 November 2013, 14:43:26 »
Ok, what I have so far  8)

Some more bits and the first set will be done. I'll think about hills, as an addon later  :P Any need for fire/smoke markers?

In this pack you get: 4 standart size map sheets 17x15 hexes, 1 forest (light, heavy) template A4 sheet (you can print as many as you want, cut and assemble in desirable configuration), 1 terrain counter A4 sheet (half done), 2 various urban (light, medium, heavy) template A4 sheets

That's all for my hex pack. At least I depleted my imagination resource for this week ::)

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress - 3rd update
« Reply #22 on: 25 November 2013, 15:00:08 »
You've really done a lot.

Thanks for that. I'll find a good use for it.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 25 November 2013, 15:08:57 »
Thanks! Need to check everything for mistakes and put the kit together.  I'll make the download archive and update the thead name as soon as all bits are ready

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #24 on: 25 November 2013, 23:23:56 »
That's a nice big pile of map stuff. If you have tips for printing it all out that would be awesome, I'd like to play a few games on this terrain.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 26 November 2013, 02:01:13 »
Why using same old 80s graphics in new products (I meen hex packs and new maps)? Why no redesign, incorporating CG? My only guess is that it was a fast, not prior product as it actually is. But, maps are not secondary pieces, are they?
Hey, sculpt some hills in 3d, lay down some textures, we have so many MW games, with tonns of terrain.. Nop, they had to print old drawings on new cardboard.. Not my cup of tea. Maybe it's not important, somebody enlighten me  :p

Same reason lots of the mechs still have their 1980s visual design. Any time CGL does something new, they risk old fans screaming that their game is now ruined and they will never buy anything new.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2013, 04:14:43 by Von Ether »
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 26 November 2013, 03:36:13 »
That will become a great Hex Pack. I'm locking forward to give it a try.
As said before i totally understand your point of view to make everything in new grafic and have the same style. Maybe i'm playing BT too long so that i'm happy with everything that fits on a hex map. ;)

As for other tips, are those churches and railway stations so usefull in game matters? I meen, if there is a point making some objectives, they better be military bases, hangars, SLDF bunkers, all that's worth fighting for. Yes, starports

Churches and other religious places were always of interest for an attacker. The moral impact on the defenders and civilians is great. And if not as mission objective they add flavor to a village. ;)
Railways are somewhere near important than spaceports. Many planets rely on railways to transport goods. So the control of them is vital. And ... we have never seen any railway station for BT in any map.
That said i like the complex missions and objectives in larger campaigns.
If you do rivers and lakes, maybe you want to think about dam ? I've tried to make something like that with HM Map, but not happy yet. I think that can be a great objective to defend or attack.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 26 November 2013, 05:20:40 »
Whitar, don't worry about the strategic value of the terrain. I original games Mechwarriors died among rocks and trees.

What if someone wants to use Mechs to support a particularly aggressive football match (or whatever they have in 31st century) and Your task is to secure the passage of aggressive fans' between train station and the stadium? ;)

We deserve such opportunity, don't we? ;)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 26 November 2013, 05:59:57 »
Yeah, and a 38x30 hex field will be enough for that, I guess:) I suggest printing the map on banner fiber, so it can fold for storage, and is durable and water resistant. You can print the counters on visit card cardstock, they'll have longer life, or on matt photo paper. I could make it for you, and ready to ship, but I have to calculate all expences +shipping. PM me if interested in a ready set. Those will be a limited run for sure, so I could prepare like 10 sets and send to US. That's what I thought I'd do. If you want to print everything by yourself, be sure to print in high resolution and without any rescaling, all is perfect to standart hex base. Also check for color, print out a sample first. I will try to make hills for this map, it will be a first addon later, then think about ice or desert mesa. I like to design buildings, so maybe HPG stations, hangars and other usefull bits left for future. Always wanted to design a solaris arena map, as those have all terrain types and are compact. River is a good idea, maybe ponds (lava on desert terrain, can add a heat mod). Think about something that could be used in every game, an enviroment counter. Cause things like dambs and other structures that are bond to mission or campaign will be used once, max twice pro game. Those are good, but can wait, since it must be something everyone finds usefull. I can make specific structures,templates and counters for request, but after main work on the pack. I'll be glad if my map gets to a convention or any gathering. Reference images and drawings are wellcome. Desert or ice? What do you vote for to be next?
« Last Edit: 26 November 2013, 07:59:27 by Whitar »

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 26 November 2013, 08:28:17 »
Some quick update: the big dome inhabitance structure will be left for ice world, as it does not suit green enviroment. Surelly, a living complex like this would take like hundred hexes, lets stick to board game realities and schematics, leave scale aproach aproximate. As heavy weather conditions on many IS worlds make life on the surface complicated or close to impossible, Polar and Desert tundra worlds will have enclosed bunker and dome structures, accommodated to atmosphere inconviniences. We're not mentioning deep perifery, or really low tech worlds for now. Only where technology is enough to keep life and military instalations. I have a good reference in Sega game, where Jade Falcon forces attack several IS planets. Those are not main home worlds, but they are equipped fine.

Register