Author Topic: MOTW: Quasimodo- What the Hunch?  (Read 9946 times)

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Re: MOTW: Quasimodo- What the Hunch?
« Reply #30 on: 30 March 2020, 15:18:25 »
I can't really say I understand any of Orin J's criticisms. Barring a lucky headshot, the Quasimodo wipes the floor with the grand majority of standard Hunchbacks in the same arena that standard Hunchbacks are supposed to excel. And it's literally 1 point below max armor. Everything short of lucky headcapping that the Hunchbacks with AC20s can do, the Quasimodo does everything a brawler Hunch/Swayback can do but better.

Seriously, this thing's a beast. And it looks cooler too. It's the Cooler Daniel.

EDIT; And... After reading TRO3145:FWL again due to this article, it kinda just confirmed that they have a powerhouse lineup come the Dark Age.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2020, 15:45:58 by Caedis Animus »

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #31 on: 30 March 2020, 17:53:07 »
Just want to say that I'm going to have to save that little history summary from this post as possibly the best abridged history of the BT universe I've read! Thanks Firesprocket!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2020, 19:24:37 »
Firesprocket does good work here, and is a gentleman in person as well!  :thumbsup:

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #33 on: 31 March 2020, 03:05:35 »
Glad so many people enjoy Quasimodo.  I actually struggled with making a Hunchback-type that was unique enough to warrant a TRO entry.  Believe it or not, I started with the approach of "Hey, Blue Shield and VSP are barely used, why don't I design around those?"

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #34 on: 31 March 2020, 06:42:53 »
I for one can't wait until the Clan Protectorate gets a few of these and replaces the ER Medium Lasers with Improved Heavy versions.  >:D
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 31 March 2020, 07:29:54 »
I for one can't wait until the Clan Protectorate gets a few of these and replaces the ER Medium Lasers with Improved Heavy versions.  >:D
Might be better to replace the VSPLs with these and bolt on a targeting computer. Heat management for the TSM being a reason.
I'll put my concept to the workshop thread...

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 31 March 2020, 10:35:24 »
Glad so many people enjoy Quasimodo.  I actually struggled with making a Hunchback-type that was unique enough to warrant a TRO entry.  Believe it or not, I started with the approach of "Hey, Blue Shield and VSP are barely used, why don't I design around those?"
Regards for designing what is viewed as a fun, and interesting mech to field. The name was perfect.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #37 on: 31 March 2020, 11:47:24 »

Improved heavies are crit-intensive and this is a crit-packed mech.  Does it really have the room without pulling off arm actuators?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 31 March 2020, 11:48:13 »
Improved heavies are crit-intensive and this is a crit-packed mech.  Does it really have the room without pulling off arm actuators?
There is.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 31 March 2020, 12:35:49 »
I would think the Protectorate would go with simple cERMLs instead . . . and putting something explosive in the arms of a mech intended for melee seems like a bad idea- especially since its intentionally not a ammo dependent mech.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 31 March 2020, 13:08:09 »
I don't think replacing the VSPLs would be much of an upgrade, even if you are going for ClanTech. Part of what makes the design great is the -3 to-hit that the VSPLs have to offer at short range. Although I guess making the design faster could be interesting, I dunno.

Great job, dude. Certainly helps that the art in XTRO:Marik is fantastic, and that a lot of the designs give FWL players new doctrines to play around with.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #41 on: 31 March 2020, 13:34:11 »
I don't think replacing the VSPLs would be much of an upgrade, even if you are going for ClanTech. Part of what makes the design great is the -3 to-hit that the VSPLs have to offer at short range. Although I guess making the design faster could be interesting, I dunno.

Great job, dude. Certainly helps that the art in XTRO:Marik is fantastic, and that a lot of the designs give FWL players new doctrines to play around with.

Yeah, I think the MVSPLs and Blue Shield are sort of the trademark of the design, TSM to a lesser extent.  I also think this came out in TRO3145 Marik, not a XTRO?  Its not mentioned in the write up that I saw.  Now I am really wanting to put this back on the table but . . .

To one thing the OP put in, IIRC Supercharger & TSM are illegal together so its not something that could be placed on the design.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 31 March 2020, 13:53:48 »
Yeah, I think the MVSPLs and Blue Shield are sort of the trademark of the design, TSM to a lesser extent.  I also think this came out in TRO3145 Marik, not a XTRO?  Its not mentioned in the write up that I saw.  Now I am really wanting to put this back on the table but . . .

To one thing the OP put in, IIRC Supercharger & TSM are illegal together so its not something that could be placed on the design.

Ah, good call, I did TRO3145:Marik. But...the art in XTRO:Marik was also fantastic, so it all works out.

Supercharger + TSM is a legal combo though, and a few 'Mechs like the Jade Hawk, Ryoken-III, and TRO:Prototypes Ti Ts'ang use it. For MASC and TSM, though, you are correct.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #43 on: 31 March 2020, 14:01:12 »
Sorry flipped them, when I think Supercharger with canon mechs I always think of that Executioner . . . burst movement for 12 hexes to kick a opponent for 19 damage just sounds too fun and clouds my thinking.  The assault mech with light mech speed . . .

So would its max movement in such a situation be 11 or 12 hexes?  Either way that is a pretty good way to get those MVSPL into a good position to start hammering on a target.
Colt Ward

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 31 March 2020, 14:08:08 »

Why would you want to do that?

Half the point in having the er-med is so you can fine-tune your heat. With heavy mediums you'd have five 7 pointers and a two. It would also completely overwhelm the heat budget in the only bracket h. med are worth anything.

cERML? Gimme a pair. This wouldn't be a spot for the heavy to shine.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 31 March 2020, 14:58:36 »
Sorry flipped them, when I think Supercharger with canon mechs I always think of that Executioner . . . burst movement for 12 hexes to kick a opponent for 19 damage just sounds too fun and clouds my thinking.  The assault mech with light mech speed . . .

So would its max movement in such a situation be 11 or 12 hexes?  Either way that is a pretty good way to get those MVSPL into a good position to start hammering on a target.

Supercharger is identical to MASC in effect: your modified Run MP becomes twice your Walk MP instead of 1.5x.  So the movement profile is then "abbreviated" as 5(6)/8[10](9[12])/5.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #46 on: 31 March 2020, 15:09:14 »
I know that, and stated it with the comment about the Executioner . . . the suggested TSM/Supercharger Quasimodo being 11 or 12 was the question- basically does the +1 come before or after the Supercharger has doubled the walk.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 31 March 2020, 15:22:51 »
...TSM recalculates your Walk MP as long as it's active.  Why on Earth would it happen after deciding to use the Supercharger? ???

Not to belabor the point, but just thinking through how those two pieces of equipment work should be unambiguous.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #48 on: 31 March 2020, 16:49:46 »
Because the rules in this game are not always logical?

And it still does not answer the question exactly since the case could be made either way.
Colt Ward

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 31 March 2020, 17:07:02 »
TSM boosts walk to 6, supercharger use would double that to 12.

(Hardened armor is weird in that it reduces running speed by 1, so if the Quasimodo had that, TSM and SC, it could run up 8 or 11 hexes, depending on whether its TSM is hot.)

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 31 March 2020, 17:29:42 »
It's probably one of the most reliable 'Mechs I use, almost always dealing much more than its worth in damage on the battlefield.
The worth is very much a strong point of VSPs. Used well, you're potentially underpaying.

All in all, I think it's a rather likeable design. Kinda sad there's no blueshield on ASFs that I know of, but then, I never actually played Aerospace.
The mech makes a very solid show of itself.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 03 April 2020, 12:35:45 »
Seems like a fun 'Mech. Looks good, reasonable mobility. TSM seems a bit tricky here, but as long as one doesn't care about perfect 9 heat, it works nicely as a way of reducing movement penalties from heat, and perhaps discouraging plasma and inferno attacks.
The key to using TSM well is doing your homework.  It's handy to have a cheat sheet of weapon/movement combos that will take you right to the Magic 9 from 0-5 Heat.  It's dang near essential to have a sheet with weapon/movement combos to STAY at Magic 9.  Otherwise you spend an inordinate amount of time saying, "If I jump 3, then I have to fire..."  It also lets you see some potential pitfalls.  Like if I'm at 9 Heat and I jump 4, then I need to drop 1 Medium VSPL, and use both ER Mediums to stay at 9, so that means no punching.  Then again, if you are close enough to punch with TSM active, do it and hope for the head shot!
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 03 April 2020, 12:42:23 »
The reason why I magnetized a Quasimodo.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 03 April 2020, 14:00:39 »
The reason why I magnetized a Quasimodo.
I love the warning label!!!
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 03 April 2020, 15:46:09 »
I love the warning label!!!

What's it say?  The resolution I have for that pic is too low to read it.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 03 April 2020, 16:35:44 »
It's one of the stock warning decals from FPG, but  judging from the details visible, it's probably one of Danger laser in use types.  The techs probably changed to to say Autocannon I'm sure.

What's it say?  The resolution I have for that pic is too low to read it.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #56 on: 03 April 2020, 22:05:10 »
I can't really say I understand any of Orin J's criticisms. Barring a lucky headshot, the Quasimodo wipes the floor with the grand majority of standard Hunchbacks in the same arena that standard Hunchbacks are supposed to excel. And it's literally 1 point below max armor. Everything short of lucky headcapping that the Hunchbacks with AC20s can do, the Quasimodo does everything a brawler Hunch/Swayback can do but better.

Seriously, this thing's a beast. And it looks cooler too. It's the Cooler Daniel.

EDIT; And... After reading TRO3145:FWL again due to this article, it kinda just confirmed that they have a powerhouse lineup come the Dark Age.

I misread the armor, which is my own fault and not the alcohol's. i still think it does an entirely different job than the hunchback's and am getting the sneaking suspicion it looks like that as a disguise to let it get closer.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 04 April 2020, 02:16:12 »
If the point was to trick the enemy into letting you closer, why in the world would you disguise yourself as a Hunchback?  The whole point of aggressive mimicry is to make yourself look less dangerous.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 04 April 2020, 02:18:12 »
If the point was to trick the enemy into letting you closer, why in the world would you disguise yourself as a Hunchback?  The whole point of aggressive mimicry is to make yourself look less dangerous.

I am frankly less scared of most* Hunchbacks than the 'Modo. AC/20 miss a lot, in my experience.

*there are exceptions

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 04 April 2020, 09:30:48 »
Depends on who's piloting the thing.  But when they don't miss, they hurt.