Author Topic: Elementals on standard Mechs  (Read 288 times)

NicoKen

• Recruit
Elementals on standard Mechs
« on: 08 April 2024, 10:33:02 »
I'm sure this must have been asked before.

As Clan Elementals are never equipped with magnetic clamps,
can i just swarm my own mech to get carried?

MOD Note
Moving to Ground Combat is the is a better question for here.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2024, 12:23:30 by Hammer »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Elementals on standard Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2024, 12:58:19 »
Off-hand friendly directed fire (not counting area effects) is completely forbidden, which would cover swarm attacks.
So no, there's no way to move Elementals with standard mechs unless you allow custom units and modify them with magclamps (missiles to magclamps is quite doable modification), or should we ever get such modified Elemental variant.

There is one Clan battle armor that does have magnetic clamps: The Stormbird (Jade Falcon). It is not quite Elemental replacement, being a heavy armor, but it does give second-line Clan forces an option.

NicoKen

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2024, 13:32:39 »
Ok, i understand.

But Malvina was carrying Elementals on her Shrike!!! ;)

The question came up, because we want to play the "Cauldron" Szenario from the IlClan Book.
As Jade Falcon, you have to deploy Supernovas. So my List would be limited to Omni-Mechs, which is quite strange with all the new standard Mech-models at that time.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2024, 14:11:53 »
But Malvina was carrying Elementals on her Shrike!!! ;)
Wait what?
If that was in Hour of the Wolf, that would be just one among its ton of problems i suppose.
Though fiction takes some liberties from the rules at times, in case it was not an actual error. (I think fiction taking liberties mistake but it is what it is.)

I do wonder if there's a Special Pilot Ability that allows BA on standard mechs? I'm not well versed in those, and seeing as they break normal rules sometimes, such ability seems plausible.

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2024, 14:37:54 »
If I had to guess, when swarming enemy mechs, the suits don't really concern themselves with consequential damage made by "making" handholds with their battle claws.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2024, 14:43:14 »
If I had to guess, when swarming enemy mechs, the suits don't really concern themselves with consequential damage made by "making" handholds with their battle claws.
Or care if the enemy keeps their balance for that matter.
These are, after all, the two things OmniMechs have, handholds for battle armor, and the magic gyro that makes it possible to move around with external cargo like that without loss of speed or any other problems.