Author Topic: Anyone have pics of the old Geo-Hex Somerset University Mech Bay ?  (Read 1136 times)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
I believe the original name for these was the Somerset University Mech Maintenance Facility.

Made by Capricorn Space a division of Geo-Hex.
I have a pic of the original box sticker.
I combed the gallery on Lords Of The Battlefield for every pic I could find and did multiple searches
on Battletech.com.
I've only found a few actual pictures because most have disappeared due to old hosting sites no longer hosting
combined with the migration on this site somewhere around 2011.

The few pics put on Battletech.com by Cache way back in 2011 are the only real views I've had to work with.

Many years ago Joker from Germany made a detail set for inside these but all the pics from his threads
on LOTB are gone and he hasn't logged in for years. I don't think he's been back here since the site migration.
Internet searches haven't turned much up.

Does anybody happen to have any pics they can show me of this item ?
Doesn't matter weather it's painted or not even put together.

I'm currently putting together 2 of these. The first will be my variation-but I'd like to make one closer to original
and would appreciate any pics or ideas.
Thanks!

BTW-I have this crossposted on LOTB in case any of the old guard stops in.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
Re: Anyone have pics of the old Geo-Hex Somerset University Mech Bay ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2023, 17:43:39 »
This.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2023, 17:48:04 by House Davie Merc »

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2023, 18:54:04 »
I have one that is unassembled. I can dig it out and take some photos of it, but not sure what you are looking for if you have two sets of it. Or are you looking for the custom inside detailing?

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2023, 22:15:20 »
I have one that is unassembled. I can dig it out and take some photos of it, but not sure what you are looking for if you have two sets of it. Or are you looking for the custom inside detailing?
If you have the original unassembled and not the custom inside detailing or the inside sticker sets then a scan of the original instructions would be
very useful. I haven't been able to find that in entirety anywhere online.

After Geo-Hex initially ceased operation the molds were sold off to Monday Knight Productions.
( Geo-Hex has resumed operations-but ONLY for the 3D terrain)
Monday Knight Productions currently sells a kit that does not include all of the original.
That kit doesn't include the back wall ,details, or the original instructions.
They have a new set of instructions for building what you can out of it-but it's not the same as the
original. It also goes under a slightly different name, but the parts are from the same molds.

I didn't want to add all that to the original post-but there you have it.
My aim is to make one similar but custom mech bay-and one as close to the  original as I can.

Scans of the original instructions would also have a historical value for the game.
IIRC-these were advertised in early Battletech Fanzines at one time.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2023, 23:30:38 »
Sarna is notoriously lacking in the miniatures field, and this is the first time I’ve ever heard about this product. I don’t suppose you could create an article about it on Sarna…?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2023, 08:18:58 »
Sarna is notoriously lacking in the miniatures field, and this is the first time I’ve ever heard about this product. I don’t suppose you could create an article about it on Sarna…?
Once I've finished building these two and got a few related items I'd like to do that.

I've never done anything on Sarna so it would be a first.

I would like to see more info about some of the early Battletech products preserved in a location
where the pics won't just disappear due to hosting issues.

I'm still looking for some of the adds for Geo-Hex/ Capricorn Space items that were included in early
fanzines. Some were a permanently attached part of these mags-but IIRC some were separate loose
pamphlets that were just put inside.
I think it was the original BMR that has a black and white image of the terrain. Mines in storage.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2023, 09:19:51 »
Once I've finished building these two and got a few related items I'd like to do that.

I've never done anything on Sarna so it would be a first.
Cool!
Don't hestitate to ping me when you're ready and I can guide you through whatever problems you might encounter.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2023, 21:21:26 »
Cool!
Don't hestitate to ping me when you're ready and I can guide you through whatever problems you might encounter.
Thanks!

abou

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2023, 23:03:21 »
I do have the Geo-Hex version. When I get the chance this weekend, I'll grab pics and scans.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2023, 23:59:26 »
I do have the Geo-Hex version. When I get the chance this weekend, I'll grab pics and scans.
Thanks!
Take your time. Good quality scans would be great. It might just be for posterity !