Author Topic: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing  (Read 166197 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: (Sore Thumbs) What Non-BT related Video Game you're playing
« Reply #1440 on: 30 January 2020, 00:34:33 »
Head shots do inflict extra damage.  If you're not outright killing the target it means that your gun isn't powerful enough.
finally got a one shot one kill on one of the things that look like a monkey...charged up the plasma rifle bam 70 meters...thanks to stealth maxing out at level 9
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1441 on: 30 January 2020, 00:45:56 »
Magic the Gathering Arena

unlike MTGO you can get free cards. i've had an itch to get back into it for a couple months - fortunately this scratches it.

as a side note, more sets have been released since time spiral when i stopped playing than existed from 1994 up to that point in 2005. I'm glad arena only deals with the past couple years worth of cards

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1442 on: 30 January 2020, 00:49:21 »
finally got a one shot one kill on one of the things that look like a monkey...charged up the plasma rifle bam 70 meters...thanks to stealth maxing out at level 9

Nice.  Plasma weapons deal extra damage to animals aside from Mantisaurs, so they're highly effective against Primals (the ones that look like monkeys).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
« Reply #1443 on: 30 January 2020, 02:34:36 »
playing that Death Stranding.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1444 on: 30 January 2020, 08:57:52 »
Baldur's Gate II for PC. Got the full complete edition downloaded,  running around with a Human Monk female with a male voice! Just for kicks, skimped on the stats that I didn't need, 19 STR with a high 17 CON and 17 DEX. Rest are 14 INT, 14 WIS and a 10 CHA... so far I can hit for 22 points max, avg. 9-11.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1445 on: 30 January 2020, 12:25:48 »
Is that standard BGII or the Enhanced Edition?

Also, how the heck did you get those stats?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1446 on: 30 January 2020, 15:00:57 »
I play EmptyEpsilon on most Saturdays. Starship simulator, several players per ship with different positions (captain, navigator, engineer etc.), multiple ships if enough players are present. Saturday, 16 o'clock (UTC 0). Please come join me & others on Discord. Game is as free as MegaMek 8)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1447 on: 30 January 2020, 15:59:22 »
ok i did not know i even o still had this
 death spank the thongs of virtue
i had to double check what it was LOL its a slash dash tongue in cheek game bit old still fun
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1448 on: 30 January 2020, 17:46:21 »
Is that standard BGII or the Enhanced Edition?

Also, how the heck did you get those stats?

Enhanced and those stats are the result of random reroll and reassigning the numbers around to custom your character's basic attributes. The system allows certain thresholds and minimums, one being no STR over 19...

Other words, I reassigned my stars to my pleasure.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1449 on: 30 January 2020, 21:27:00 »
I was mostly curious if you'd used a Belt of Hill Giant Strength or had brought the character in from BG1 and had used the Tome of Gainful Exercise in that game to get strength above 18/00.  Or had gone down to Watcher's Keep and used the Machine of Lum the Mad.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1450 on: 03 February 2020, 18:59:58 »
Woo! Got trading to elite rank in Elite:Dangerous (by grinding mining, current prices make it very lucrative) and bought an Anaconda. It is awesome, and handles far better than i expected such a big ship to handle.
Still need to figure out a good loadout, i'm terrible with fixed weapons and playing with an Xbox controller doesn't help any. Then again i'm purely a PVE player so it is not like i really need fixed weapon...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1451 on: 04 February 2020, 06:26:32 »
Still need to figure out a good loadout, i'm terrible with fixed weapons and playing with an Xbox controller doesn't help any.
I recommend Thrustmaster T.16000M. Stick returns reliably to dead-center, has lots of buttons, and is cheaper than other sticks with equal quality. Cheaper sticks have problems, like unlinear response and unreliable centering
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1452 on: 04 February 2020, 11:20:52 »
Looking at prices, if you're going to invest in a hotas control setup, might as well save up and go for the x52 or x52 pro. The trigger is a bit soft and the software is... well least  said soonest mended. I did have a bit too much stick play in my x52 pro, but an additional 3d printed ring put enough tension on the spring to give a nice stiff return to center.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1453 on: 04 February 2020, 11:36:04 »
Can't afford a HOTAS. Plus outside E:D and Ace Combat 7 (which has limited HOTAS support), i don't actually play anything that would benefit from a HOTAS, so i don't really need one anyway.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1454 on: 04 February 2020, 11:38:19 »
I've got one these bad-boys myself:

LOTS of button, and for Elite, you NEED lots of Buttons.

Especailly as you have the standard Roll/Yaw/Pitch of the joystick, I also have the hat on the flight stick as lateral/front/back thruster for landing
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 11:40:11 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1455 on: 04 February 2020, 12:36:34 »
Can't afford a HOTAS. Plus outside E:D and Ace Combat 7 (which has limited HOTAS support), i don't actually play anything that would benefit from a HOTAS, so i don't really need one anyway.

Also a very good answer!
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1456 on: 04 February 2020, 12:42:59 »
Can't afford a HOTAS.
T.16000M cost only $60. Of course without throttle grip it don't qualify as HOTAS. But stick itself has a throttle control, so...

[edit]
All in all, T.16000M has a stick with 3 axis (twist), throttle control behind the stick, trigger + 3 buttons and hat on top of the stick, and 12 buttons on the base. 6 buttons can't be accessed easily, unless you convert the stick for left hand (parts for it come with the package) in which case the other 6 buttons can't be accessed easily.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 12:46:05 by Matti »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1457 on: 04 February 2020, 13:18:30 »
Stick only goes for 75€ with a quick look. Probably could find one for cheaper with more searching but...
Can't afford it. Clan Invasion kickstarter shipping costs are eating my immediate entertainment budget, plus i'm strictly speaking on negative on entertainment budget already...
EDIT Lowest seems to be 60€ but 10€ shipping from Estonia.

I will admit i'd love to have a HOTAS. But not now. Maybe once i got enough money saved and when it is time to build a new PC (this one is some 5 years old now, hope it lasts a year or two more at least).

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1458 on: 04 February 2020, 13:28:52 »
Stick only goes for 75€ with a quick look. Probably could find one for cheaper with more searching but...
Can't afford it. Clan Invasion kickstarter shipping costs are eating my immediate entertainment budget, plus i'm strictly speaking on negative on entertainment budget already...
EDIT Lowest seems to be 60€ but 10€ shipping from Estonia.

I will admit i'd love to have a HOTAS. But not now. Maybe once i got enough money saved and when it is time to build a new PC (this one is some 5 years old now, hope it lasts a year or two more at least).

I absolutely support and uphold your intent. You gotta figure out your budget and stick to it. If you're saving up for a PC as a higher priority, that's valid too. I use HOTAS (and an additional yoke) because I'm a flight instructor (inactive) as well as a drone systems engineer/researcher. It helps me keep my head in the "controlling an airplane through the air" skill maintenance game.

If you ever do get a control system, my advice would be to save up for the best value holding some minimum of component quality, wear, and maker software and RMA support.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 13:31:13 by Bedwyr »

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1459 on: 04 February 2020, 13:47:29 »
Looks like it in brick & mortar stores in Finland too. I got $60 price from Amazon, but order from there will add shipping fee.

If you ever do get a control system, my advice would be to save up for the best value holding some minimum of component quality, wear, and maker software and RMA support.
What have you got for yourself? What is the cheapest joystick or HOTAS you recommend? Personally I have found T.16000M to have enough axis & buttons with sufficient quality & reliability (linear response & centering are good enough).

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1460 on: 04 February 2020, 13:59:38 »
Looks like it in brick & mortar stores in Finland too. I got $60 price from Amazon, but order from there will add shipping fee.

What have you got for yourself? What is the cheapest joystick or HOTAS you recommend? Personally I have found T.16000M to have enough axis & buttons with sufficient quality & reliability (linear response & centering are good enough).

X-52 pro. Reasoning: partly because E:D supports it explicitly, but mostly because Logitech provides stable support (it's gotten way better since that garbage company MadCatz sold the Saitek line) and good customization software and because the centering mechanism, a spring, is exposed and manageable. Like I said, there's a bit of extra play in the stick and this spring plate made the tension perfect: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2405980. I steered away from the X-56 as a bit more expensive with more poor reviews on Reddit than the X-52.

Big idio-syncratic reasoning: The Saitek/Logitech flight yoke is part of the same flight control line and I can mix-match elements while blaming one manufacturer for shortcomings.  ^-^

Granted, most of the HOTAS people on Reddit will steer you toward Virpil, Warthog, or similar, but that's higher end for people modding extensions and custom handles to provide accurate lever throw and layout for an F-18 on DCS or what have you.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 14:04:45 by Bedwyr »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1461 on: 04 February 2020, 14:03:28 »

Cheapest - maybe:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1462 on: 04 February 2020, 14:27:02 »
Cheapest - maybe:

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

I've got 2 of those. Has enough of axis & buttons with good layout. But response is not linear (there are erratic changes with axis movements) and stick don't center reliably. Case in point: when twist is left at the center, it leans to the right causing constant roll unless I counter it by hand, and there is a sudden bump on the left. When I started using first stick after a while, I thought it was just worn out and bought a new one. Same problems from get go.

Bedwyr, may I assume more expensive Logitech/Saitek sticks don't have these kinds of problems?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1463 on: 04 February 2020, 14:46:20 »
Bedwyr, may I assume more expensive Logitech/Saitek sticks don't have these kinds of problems?

Mostly not. Though it might be good to check the hotas subreddit for peoples' experiences before leaping for one or the other. My own experience would be described as "so far so good".

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1464 on: 04 February 2020, 15:09:23 »
There's two more issues with HOTAS, beyond budget limits:
1) If i had one, i'd need more games to go with that. Oops, suddenly a lot of money spent on too many games. DCS and cool modules for it, old X-wing and TIE Fighter games, and no doubt some others.
2) Why limit oneself to a HOTAS? There's so many awesome extras. Oops, suddenly i've spent several hundred euros on VR device and extra button panels and whatever else. Take a look at this: https://i.imgur.com/laCZkqJ.mp4 (though i understand this thing costs thousands).

Hell, just looking at them makes me want one...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1465 on: 04 February 2020, 16:11:57 »
Take a look at this: https://i.imgur.com/laCZkqJ.mp4 (though i understand this thing costs thousands).

Hell, just looking at them makes me want one...
That's not much really. Those who take air simulation very seriously build entire cockpits. In Finland one guy build one in his garage with three projectors pointing to the wall. Let's see can I find a photo... Here you go (at least you can check the photos)

[edit]
Such systems are also available to the public use, for a fee. Can also include some training.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2020, 16:15:00 by Matti »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1466 on: 04 February 2020, 18:06:37 »
Still more than just a HOTAS lol.

Truly, sim enthusiasts ones brand of weird.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1467 on: 04 February 2020, 20:23:03 »
For that matter, I'd rather buy an old Virtual World BattlePod and upgrade it...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1468 on: 07 February 2020, 16:47:16 »
I was looking around for Transport Tycoon Deluxe, especially on GoG. Not finding it, I did see that the open source Open TTD was on the Microsoft Store (!). On further investigation, it appears there are two games on the store. One is for money and sold by a scammer. The other is the official version that was apparently put up in response to the scammer (who violated GPL by not offering the source code). If you have any interest in the game and have lately gotten into the MS Store by, say, the Game Pass subscription, I recommend downloading the correct, official version here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/openttd-official/9ncjg5rvrr1c?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1469 on: 07 February 2020, 22:03:46 »
I was looking around for Transport Tycoon Deluxe, especially on GoG. Not finding it, I did see that the open source Open TTD was on the Microsoft Store (!). On further investigation, it appears there are two games on the store. One is for money and sold by a scammer. The other is the official version that was apparently put up in response to the scammer (who violated GPL by not offering the source code). If you have any interest in the game and have lately gotten into the MS Store by, say, the Game Pass subscription, I recommend downloading the correct, official version here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/openttd-official/9ncjg5rvrr1c?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
isnt it abandonware? can you look for it there?