Author Topic: PV determinations/stat determinations for infantry  (Read 1270 times)

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
PV determinations/stat determinations for infantry
« on: 31 January 2024, 00:44:57 »
Hello!

I have been perusing my infantry options for the final bit of a battalion I am building for a campaign with a buddy as the Free Worlds League, and I spotted the Branth infantry card, which I thought was absolutely fantastic!...

... until I looked at the actual unit card. It costs 2 more PV (which for infantry is phenomenal; nearly a 33% price increase in this case) than a regular VTOL infantry unit. My friend suggested simply using the miniatures as regular VTOL infantry, which is fine, but I wanted to try to understand why this discrepancy exists?

The VTOL infantry have the same speed and movement type, same TMM, same armor and "structure" and MORE(!) damage (1/0/0 vs 0*/0/0).

The only difference is the Branth have less CAR# (but still more than any FWL-available APC can carry in the Secession Wars as far as I can derive) and the Scout role instead of Striker...

Is this a result of TW->AS conversion that dropped some of the Branth's advantages, or?

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
Re: PV determinations/stat determinations for infantry
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2024, 06:55:27 »
VTOL infantry are significantly undercosted because 1) they don't pay a cost for AM attacks (presumably they are a subset of mechanized infantry but not, and they can't make AM attacks?*), 2) they get a x0.7 type modifier for being VTOLs because, why not, and 3) BV/PV does not take into account armor divisors because, again, why not.

*someone with TRO: 3085 please confirm
« Last Edit: 31 January 2024, 07:06:10 by paladin2019 »
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2024, 08:12:01 »
But surely the Branth benefit from the same things?

They are vtol movement at the same speed, neither unit can make AM attacks, and both have the same armor divisor...

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2024, 10:03:18 »
VTOL infantry are significantly undercosted because 1) they don't pay a cost for AM attacks (presumably they are a subset of mechanized infantry but not, and they can't make AM attacks?*), 2) they get a x0.7 type modifier for being VTOLs because, why not, and 3) BV/PV does not take into account armor divisors because, again, why not.

*someone with TRO: 3085 please confirm

1) They can't make AM attacks.  So yeah, they don't pay for a special they don't have.
2) Only vehicles get the type modifier for being VTOLs (because of the increased chances of motive hits)
3) Armor takes in to account armor divisors, and armor is accounted for in PV.

Aerial Branth Infantry are cheap because there are only 7 of them in a unit, where most infantry are over 20 troops.

CarcosanDawn gave the reason actually.  It's the CAR value.  CAR7 is deemed "transportable" and therefore disqualifies Aerial Beast Infantry from the brawler discount. VTOL infantry at CAR32 are deemed "untransportable" and are allowed to have the brawler discount. If the VTOL infantry were CAR7, they would have the same PV.

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2024, 11:24:02 »
@nckestrel beat me to it.

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2024, 12:29:38 »
Roger that, I suppose sticking dragons in a transport is a thing to take advantage of, if I can find one where they fit!
Or may just accept my friend's suggestion to take them as VTOL lol

paladin2019

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2024, 17:48:39 »
2) Only vehicles get the type modifier for being VTOLs (because of the increased chances of motive hits)
The 0.7 type multiplier for VTOL is applied to MML's BV calculations. I realize I may be confused as to which forum I'm posting in.
<-- first 'mech I drove as a Robotech destroid pilot way back when

Register