Author Topic: Not Using SCAs?  (Read 1668 times)

Gian

• Private
  • From Sunny Cebu
Not Using SCAs?
« on: 04 February 2024, 09:15:01 »
Hi guys! I need your honest opinion. This is referring to Alpha Strike.

As a standard, we have used the following rules in our casual and competitive games:

* Formations
* Special Combat Abilities
* Special Pilot Abilities
* Alternate Munitions

I noticed that in the official CGL Battletech Championship Circuit PDF document and Wolfnet Tournament Rules, special command abilities (SCAs) are not in use.

In our games, we use SCAs (see above). Initially, we decided to implement these to make a player's forces unique.

While they do create a lot of flavor, SCAs also seem to create a lot of confusion. That's because SCA's seem to be more like guidelines rather than hard rules, so they create some mild contention when we play. Those who do not play regularly commit accidental errors when using SCAs.

Furthermore, some SCAs seem to create an imbalance: we noticed some combinations become too powerful, especially when combined with Formation bonuses, special pilot abilities, etc.

It also seems to add unnecessary complications when combined with Formation bonuses and SPAs.

Thus, as the administrator of our group, I'm planning to propose to the group not to use SCAs due to the reasons above.

But I need a "second opinion." I want to ask why the CGL BTech Championship circuit and Wolfnet Tournament Rules are not using SCAs. I will add them to my reasons why our group should try to not use SCAs.

Thanks!

Gian
How's my PPC?

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Not Using SCAs?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2024, 13:09:20 »
We don't use any of the Abilities in our weekly games at present.  We usually only play Alpha Strike once a month, with the rest being Classic, so it's more still getting used to the game itself.

And yeah, they really aren't balanced.  There is no PV cost for including them, and some are just clearly superior over the other.  They can work for campaign work where the players have Abilities, so the OpFor uses Formation Abilities to compensate and provide a good fight.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2024, 19:51:41 »
You do whatever your group wants to do. There's no wrong or right way to play. The tournaments don't use them because they aren't necessarily well balanced, and any kind of competitive play is going to try to minimize those kinds of factors. But if your group is enjoying using them, there's no reason to stop. But if it's causing an issue don't. Or do narrative games with them and pick-up games without. All kinds of options.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Gian

• Private
  • From Sunny Cebu
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2024, 23:33:59 »
You do whatever your group wants to do. There's no wrong or right way to play. The tournaments don't use them because they aren't necessarily well balanced, and any kind of competitive play is going to try to minimize those kinds of factors. But if your group is enjoying using them, there's no reason to stop. But if it's causing an issue don't. Or do narrative games with them and pick-up games without. All kinds of options.

It's fun, yes. But it also causes confusion and some contention because it seems unbalanced. Then, as I said in my post, I noticed that the CGL Championship Circuit and Wolfnet Tournament Pack do not use SCAs.

I think I'm going that same route. But I want to know why the CGL Championship Circuit and Wolfnet tournament pack do not use SCAs. In that way, I can also explain to my peeps why we should try NOT using SCAs using a sort of "official" answer.
How's my PPC?

MyndkryM

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2024, 18:35:14 »
In that way, I can also explain to my peeps why we should try NOT using SCAs using a sort of "official" answer.

I think that this really falls into the realm of having a conversation between you and the members of your group, and coming to a consensus as the which rules you wish to use and which not to use. Try what you decide and be open to changing as necessary.

If you even get a chance to listen to some of the older Wolfnet podcasts. The dudes that came up with their current rules set did A LOT of trial and error and updates before getting to the place they are now.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2024, 18:37:07 by MyndkryM »
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Burzmali

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2024, 07:29:54 »
I think I'm going that same route. But I want to know why the CGL Championship Circuit and Wolfnet tournament pack do not use SCAs. In that way, I can also explain to my peeps why we should try NOT using SCAs using a sort of "official" answer.
SCAs aren't balanced for competitive play. If you knew the rules a tournament was going to use, there would be a few SCAs that would be the "best" choice. The same applies for lance bonuses and SPAs. They add flavor for narrative play, but for competitive play, well, I hope you enjoy Sniper and Oblique Artilleryman.

It highlights one of Alpha Strike's big weaknesses, the rules can't really decide on being competitive focused or narrative focused. Either is fine, as would be having shared rules with narrative and competitive only sections clearly marked, but the current design is a bit more cumbersome than needed to untangle.

Kharn01

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2024, 10:22:46 »
We use SCA in our games.

But with some restirctions (from the combat manuals lite and the alpha strike cards):

Some SCA 'costs' two choices (on the Alpha Strike cards the 'Walking Death' SCA costs 2 choices).
Walking Death, Assault Operations, Esprit de Corps, Camouflage (the later 3 are added from us because they are more powerfull)

And we add a variation of the rule from the combat manuals lite ->
"More Special Command Abilities Option:
If the players agreed they want to have more Special Command Abilities in their games, they may use this option. Each force receives two free SCAs, with additional SCA choices costing 5% PV/BV. Veteran Combat Commands may select up to three SCAs (with the third costing 5% PV/BV) and Elite Combat Commands may select up to four SCAs (with the third costing 5% PV/BV and the fourth an additional 5%, 10% total PV/BV)."

We use the rule that the 2nd SCA costs +5% PV and the third +10% PV

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2024, 12:42:20 »
We do Alpha Strike head to head but casual.  We do the Formation Abilities and Pilot Abilities.

However,

The command abilities, just feel too powerful.   And some of them, like hidden units and entering on an off edge, are too disruptive to scenario design to be useful in anything but a standup fight.   Most of the time when we do use them, we tend to dial their effects down by half, so they come into play, but they are not decisive on their own.

I am personally of the opinion that AS needs the extra complexity of the Formations and the SPA to really shine in a way that Classic doesn't.  And I think that some sort of SCA should have a place at the table.   However, since SPAs/SCAs are much more integral, they need to be more explicitly balanced, if not carry and outright PV cost to make the head to head games more even.

Lawn Dart

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2024, 11:49:19 »
The formation abilities do not seem balanced - it's why we rarely use them in our group, and I'd be willing to guess that's the reason tournament formats don't use them.  In our group, everyone gravitates to the Battle Lance as the Lucky ability seems better than the rest. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2024, 12:32:22 »
the command lance is worth it just for tactical genius and you get a swiss army knife of extra abilities. Fire and Direct Fire are also very strong.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

RaiderRed

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2024, 10:47:58 »
I can speak directly on the reason BTCC does not use Command Abilities. It is mostly due to the severe imbalance they add to games. Time aded to games and record keeping is also a factor. I see their mertis in narrative style games. They a just not viable in a tournament setting.

Register