Author Topic: New mech types? Fan discussion  (Read 1807 times)

Garagegamer

• Recruit
New mech types? Fan discussion
« on: 30 March 2024, 21:54:31 »
I've been a big fan for many years so I had wondered if there was a plan to make super heavy mechs super heavy assault mechs or super light mechs etc? Quad mechs? ( Doomchaser)
I like the idea where the inner sphere tries out more unique squads due to constraints on production speed. Also from a game play standpoint these mechs don't need to be very overpowered. (Please don't mention the Amaris emperor mech.) I more was wondering due to an idea that they have better tech in the 3150s than the 2800s.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2024, 21:56:08 by Garagegamer »

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
Re: New mech types? Fan discussion
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2024, 22:09:22 »
Minis of the Ares Super Heavy Mech (Possibly usable as the Poseidon as well depending on how the multiconfiguration gimmick it is getting works), the Ion Sparrow Ultra Light Mech, and a number of different quad mechs where on the list of planned future releases that was revealed at Kerenskykon two weeks ago.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2024, 01:09:25 by Aresneo »

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2024, 23:17:09 »
Roadrunner or celerity is the ultralight, and I don't think it's up for release. Ion sparrow is just a light.

/Pedantic
« Last Edit: 30 March 2024, 23:48:38 by Greatclub »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2024, 23:50:32 »
The Roadrunner has been out for years as a metal mini.  There's no such thing as a "super assault mech,"  the superheavy mech class refers to mechs that mass from 105-200 tons, not super-powered heavy mechs.  And since they barely function at the upper end of that category there's no point in creating anything bigger.  As was previously stated, quad mechs have been in the game nearly from the beginning.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2024, 00:38:00 »

There are quite a few recent quad mechs, super cool ones too

Getting them in plastic is a different thing (Doom Courser is upcoming one but nothing else so far beyond that)

Rob Bendig

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2024, 01:36:44 »
There are quads in a couple of the upcoming Mercenaries KS ForcePacks:
- Scorpion - Inner Sphere Security Lance
- Goliath - Inner Sphere Assault Lance

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2024, 11:01:02 »

Those two go without saying obviously, they are already on the boat IIRC

I meant other than two OGs the Doom Courser is the only one

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2024, 11:02:23 »
cough - Thunder Fox - cough

when/if this ForcePack in the pipeline comes out

House Steiner II (Q3 2025) - ForcePack
Fafnir (FNR-5), Thunder Fox L8, Rawhide, Zeus X (ZEU-X4), Blitzkrieg (BTZ-3F, Premium)

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2024, 14:56:02 »
by 2025 we'll have a fair shake of the quads out there in plastic (no there aren't very many)
The Suns will shine again

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2024, 15:01:15 »
by 2025 we'll have a fair shake of the quads out there in plastic (no there aren't very many)

We'll have four.  I can think of at least 16 quad mechs off the top of my head, plus the quad vees.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2024, 15:04:36 »
There are 35-40

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #11 on: 31 March 2024, 15:08:14 »
I've been a big fan for many years so I had wondered if there was a plan to make super heavy mechs super heavy assault mechs or super light mechs etc? Quad mechs? ( Doomchaser)
I like the idea where the inner sphere tries out more unique squads due to constraints on production speed. Also from a game play standpoint these mechs don't need to be very overpowered. (Please don't mention the Amaris emperor mech.) I more was wondering due to an idea that they have better tech in the 3150s than the 2800s.

I want to Punt on first down on this idea... but i can't. Give me a moment here...

Most of the worlds that holds a sizable human population are worlds that ride the Goldie Locks zone (Good enough air% and air pressure, close enough gravity, good enough to tolerable temperature, etc.) and most equipment (in the game) is designed for those near-earth like conditions...

but what if there was a Nitch where specific units were designed for environmental conditions barely outside Goldie Locks zones? Say low gravity? Low gravity (and higher gravity) tends to be punishing to some mechs (Solaris 7, for example, is very unforgiving for fast moving Lights, at a certain speed). An assault 'mech or Colossus-class Bipedal, Tripod or Quad would feel less imcumbering on a low G world, IF It wasn't pushing the envelope in the first place, yes? (or No(tm).

thoughts?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 31 March 2024, 15:09:23 »
There are 35-40

Is that counting the two different iterations of Project Phoenix for the Scorpion and Goliath as separate from the Reseen versions or not?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 31 March 2024, 15:11:34 »
No

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 31 March 2024, 15:17:40 »
I was a bit over. Araña/Tolva are militamech / clan standard sides of the same coin. It also includes quadvees, which is a special class like LAMs

Antlion
Araña
Arion
Balius
Barghest
Bishamon
Blue Flame
Boreas
Celerity
Cyllaros
Doom Courser
Fire Scorpion
Goliath
Great Turtle
Harpagos
Jaguar
Lich
Notos
Revenant
Rhino
Sarath
Scorpion
Sirocco
Snow Fox
Stalking Spider
Stalking Spider II
Tarantula
Thunder Fox
Thunder Stallion
Tolva
Trebaruna
Ursa
White Flame
Xanthos

Aresneo

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 31 March 2024, 15:27:46 »
Is that counting the two different iterations of Project Phoenix for the Scorpion and Goliath as separate from the Reseen versions or not?
There are 26 quad mechs: Antlion, Arana, Balius, Barghest, Bishamon, Blue Flame, Doom Courser, Fire Scorpion, Goliath, Great Turtle, Jaguar, Rhino, Sarath, Scorpion, Sirocco, Snow Fox, Stalking Spider, Stalking Spider II, Tarantula, Thunder Fox, Thunder Stallion, Tolva, Trebaruna, Ursa, White Flame, and Xanathos.
Then there are 3 Quad drones: Celerity, Lich, and Revenant.
And 5 QuadVees: Arion, Boreas, Cyllaros, Harpagos, and Notos.
And finally the Scorpion LAM.
For a total of 35 quad mech designs.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 31 March 2024, 19:17:05 »
QuadVees are an example of a "new" technology which, in game terms, is being evolved "on-screen" - as in, during the time in which Catalyst Game Labs has taken the lead on moving the timeline forward from the Dark Age Era into the IlClan Era.

While there was a throwaway mention of a "QuadVee" somewhere in a MW:DA/AoD product, the first actual rules, Record Sheets, and Unit Cards for these designs emerged in CGL publications. Indeed, the earliest prototypes were "tracked" QuadVees; only later (both in-universe and in game publication terms) did the Notos, the first "wheeled" QuadVee, emerge.

Going forward, I hope that more can be shown in terms of how much farther the QuadVee concept can evolve in terms of unit design; in how well Clan Hell's Horses succeed (or not) in terms of incorporating them into their combined arms doctrine; and, perhaps, in whether or not any of the other known Clans (to include the Scorpion Empire) might one day take a closer look at QuadVee technology for their own uses.

Although, since even the Horses deploy QuadVees two to a Point, it would seem best to compare them to tanks and other combat vehicles, rather than "standard" BattleMechs, in terms of where that place in the Horse touman might end up being.

-----

Actually, the Horses - as well as their estranged sibkin over in Clan Stone Lion - are noted as investigating other technologies also.

The Machina Domini system was originally designed and intended for use by the Word of Blake Shadow Divisions. However, the Horses have been slowly chopping away at producing a Clan variant, which made use of ProtoMech Enhanced Imaging rather than the Manei Domini's VDNI. No word yet on if or when they might field such a unit, however - or, for that matter, if they coin a term with fewer Blakist connotations for it by then.

Meanwhile, the Nova CEWS system deployed by Society Septs during the Wars of Reaving has been taken on board by the Stone Lions - but (at last reporting) only for testing on ground vehicles, and only for use against non-Clan opponents. Which, post-Reaving, would include the Horses themselves...

Indeed, now that Clan Sea Fox has gained access to Ares superheavy tripod technology as isorla from the Battle of Terra, I could readily imagine the Horses at least considering taking a look at how such units might (or might not) work in the Horse touman.

-----

Speaking of Clan Sea Fox: they (and, by extension, anyone they are open to selling their wares to) have designed units which make use of certain new technologies on board. Consider the hardened armour used on the Hammerhead, to give one example.

But what they and others have yet to do is to develop a "generational shift" in BattleTechnology, which weaves a broad range of advances into a new "standard" by which past eras' advancements can be measured. Or at least, no-one is known to have created such a thing just yet.

Might this happen at some point between 3152 and 3250?

We'll have to wait and find out...
« Last Edit: 31 March 2024, 19:23:10 by Nerroth »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 31 March 2024, 19:32:44 »
i'm personally hoping we'll get Hover quadvees and VTOL quadvees, as those would offer the most battlefield utility as an alternate mode for a Mech. both would allow for very rapid mobility in their vehicle mode, with the VTOL having the added bonus of flight allowing it to reach places that a normal vehicle couldn't.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 31 March 2024, 20:05:44 »
There's also the Interface Cockpit system used by the Gestalt and Ryoken III.

LAMFAN

• Corporal