Author Topic: Icons of Hubris in Battletech  (Read 763 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Icons of Hubris in Battletech
« on: 08 April 2024, 09:14:29 »
 Battletech is littered with icons of Hubris, some small figures like Anton Marik who was likely the only human being in the Inner Sphere who really thought he stood a chance, others like Nicholas Kerensky created societies in their image that were forthrightly poorly designed, and when fixes were presented in plain sight, he made sure they were annihilated under the false covers of unification and survival. Duncan Marik was just a halfwit who could never have foreseen the path of destruction his plot would lead to, so he might be in the lower galleries or perhaps not even there, whilst Hanse and Melissa poorly groomed their successors leading to extraordinary trouble down the road. Assuming that you have five galleries, designated A for the Achilles levels through F for the lowest (with no E), what figures would you say are significant enough for any given gallery, and who would not rate for even the F despite their flaw? You may add a - or + to be emphatic.

Figures do not have to be nobles. Some of the most hubristic may outwardly seem noble. Some of the non-hubristic may seem to be absolutely reprehensible human beings. In fact, cultural requirements of some Successor States may present an outward facade that needs to be taken into account.

BrianDavion

• Captain
Re: Icons of Hubris in Battletech
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2024, 14:45:31 »
Jacob Bannson proably deserves a spot in there the man had everything and pissed it away.
The Suns will shine again

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2024, 11:49:23 »
Jacob Bannson probably deserves a spot in there the man had everything and pissed it away.
He is an excellent starting point.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2024, 21:25:25 »
Alaric Ward, Daoshen Liao, Brett Andrews, Karianna Schmitt, Asa Taney, Raina Montose and even Devlin Stone all come to mind.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2024, 22:11:58 »
The great Stefan Ukris Amaris I. And his battleship.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2024, 23:28:38 »
The great Stefan Ukris Amaris I.

The list should be named after him.

Oh, also, slap Nicholas AND his daddy to the list.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 April 2024, 00:21:10 »
not sure Alaric can be listed as Hubristic YET. but I expect by 3160 he'll definatly be on the list

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2024, 00:46:23 »
He's been running on hubris his whole life.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2024, 11:47:49 »
Michael Hasek-Davion, who wanted to replace both Hanse Davion and Maximillian Liao.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 14 April 2024, 13:27:20 »
Konrad McKenna might be a worthy entry as well. And perhaps Joseph Cameron

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2024, 17:27:07 »
Michael Hasek-Davion, who wanted to replace both Hanse Davion and Maximillian Liao.

that's actually a pretty good one, I mean, this is a march lord whose aspirations consisted at besting TWO house lrods (and thus was played by both of them)

Porshadoxus

• Recruit
  • Kill the meat. Save the metal.
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2024, 05:01:55 »
Kyalla Centralla belongs on this list.
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2024, 22:05:20 »
Katherine Steiner Davion
Nondi Steiner
Melissa Steiner (the 3130 plus one)
The last Nova Cat Khans
Kenyon Marik
Elson Nova Cat (until after the Dragoon Civil War)
The great whatever of Amaris from Star Lord
IlKhan Brett Andrews and Steel Viper in general

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #13 on: 18 April 2024, 12:34:49 »
Nondi's problem wasn't hubris, it was building up Katherine in her mind as the perfect Steiner leader she wanted. Well, that and the brain damage.

She didn't order her granddaughter to fight to the death because she thought she could never lose, she did it because she didn't want to fail Katherine.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 18 April 2024, 13:14:57 »
Brain damage?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #15 on: 18 April 2024, 15:02:20 »
In the War of 3039, her command post got stormed by DEST commandos. She was shot and nearly died but recovered after being hospitalized for several months. Personality-wise she was never really the same after it. She used to be really good at her job and actually had good relationships with Davion officers under her command, like the head of the 3rd Davion. By the time the 3050s roll around she's basically a caricature.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2024, 18:14:46 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 18 April 2024, 15:11:19 »
I think good ‘ole Wayne Waco would rate pretty high on this list.

Register