Author Topic: MoTW Peacekeeper  (Read 4201 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
MoTW Peacekeeper
« on: 26 August 2020, 20:44:55 »
Peacekeeper

Anti-Insurgency Mech or Shiny Toy of the Week?

The Peacekeeper was given life out of a post-Jihad collaboration between the Draconis Combine and the newly created Republic of the Sphere.   With the exception of the Capellan Confederation most of the major states of the Inner Sphere willingly ceded territory or material to help create the new RotS state.  In the process the Combine handed over one of their larger military production plants on the planet Quentin, Independence Weaponry, as part of the accords that helped establish the new nation.  As a gesture of good faith and likely to build up political cache both the RotS and DC development teams set out to design a brand new mech for anti-insurgency and garrison work.

The success or failure on whether they succeeded is up for debate as the design phase got off to a rocky start.  Similar to other multinational design endeavors the design team held a large and mutual consensus on what the mech should be armed with.  In the Peacekeeper’s case the weapons that would allow it to carry on fighting indefinitely and easily available in their respective states’ supply chain while complementing other designs already in service by the two nations.  In the case of the DC the Peacekeeper’s speed fits well with the equally new Orochi.  Meanwhile the Republic would have plenty of mechs inherited from different origins that fit the same speed profile.  The biggest obstacle, in fact, was giving the mech a name.   As with all good DC collaborations it involved a lot of shouting, name calling, and a cooler head walking out of the room with the ironic ‘final word’ and thus the name Peacekeeper stuck.

Capabilities:
The biggest assets of the Peacekeeper are its speed and armor.  The 95t mech wrapped in nearly max armor and can sustain cruising speed of 43kph and standard top end speed of 65 kph.  The speed allows for the Peacekeeper to keep pace with the majority of DCMS larger heavy mechs.  While it has been proven science for some time that ‘red ones go faster’ (and there is plenty of red available to the Combine), TSM was included in the design to actually make it happen.  The mech also comes equipped with jump jets that allow it to fly up to 90 meters to clear broken or dense terrain with ease.   

All of this of course comes with a large cost both in space and C-Bills.  The XL engine, Endo Steel, and TSM take up half the space available on the design that could be used for weapons.  Given the designers intended to rely largely on an energy armament though this was a minor concern.  The size of the engine allowed for 15 integral freezers which are found on all configurations of the Peacekeeper, which while impressive is inadequate to capably handle any of its alpha strikes.

Configurations:
PKP-1A:  Effectively the prototype designs of the Peacekeeper it carries a Heavy PPC, Plasma Rifle with 2 tons of ammo, ER Large Laser, and ER PPC.  A C3 Slave allows it to fight effectively at any range in a variety of styles.  An SRM-2 with CASE is also provided with one ton of ammo.   The inclusion of the SRM launcher is a questionable one given it is 2.5 tons that could have been used to better effect elsewhere.  Not that you can’t find a good use for specialty munitions rounds, but it would have made much more sense to put something like an ECM in its place for ECCM or ghost targets.  The mixture of different weapons across the mech make of an interesting play style as you manage the weapons based on the range of the longest range weapon as you move into medium range to get the most of out of the Plasma Rifle and Heavy PPC.

PKP- 1B:  This is the production model.  With it the weapons load out changed to 2 Heavy PPCs, a Plasma Rifle, and an ER Large Laser.  The cost was the loss of the SRM launcher and ER PPC.  In the end it gives you a mech with a weapon suite that bracket nearly the same across the board making it a much easier mech to manage in combat.  The C3 Slave is still there to make shots easier and boy howdy having those to 2 head cappers is better than the 1 on the prototype.  Imagine this running around with an Orochi and the pain that is about to be inflicted on you opponent?  Expensive, but filthy.

PKP-2K:  This machine is exclusively produced by the Draconis Combine and incorporates newer armor and technology that became more common during the Dark Age.  The weapon suite is changed around and has similarities to the 1B.  The Plasma Rifle, ER PPC, and Heavy PPC are all present.   Instead of the ER Large Laser, the mech comes with a Medium X Pulse Laser.  The weight savings from that exchange were used to install a C3 Emergency Master system and the APA armor.

Tactics:
Each of the three configurations have a slightly different play styles in order to be successful.  On its own the 1A for example ideally want to fight at around range 10 in order to use its Plasma Rifle, but can just as easily find itself a home at range 12 where the HPPC and other longer range weapons will be at Medium range.  Ultimately if you want to use that TSM for physical attacks you want to get in your opponent’s face.  The SRM launcher should be carrying infernos or smoke by default baring any special conditions.

The 1B on the other hand is going to do its best at range 12 when on its own.  Two head cappers with a toss in ER Large Laser or Plasma Rifle is nothing to sneeze at.

The 2K needs to get to roughly range 10 to be in an ideal position when not in a C3 unit.

Weaknesses:
Honestly the biggest weakness of the Peacekeeper is the cost to deploy the unit.  With BV ranging between 2824 and 2981 before you necessarily calculate the costs of the C3 that’s fairly expensive for an Inner Sphere tech unit.  Other impressive mechs that cost as much or less include your Stealth Pillagers, Stealth Marauder II, and a couple TSEMP configured Omnimechs all are within 200 points of the Peacekeeper.   Managing the heat scale of each version has its own art. The 2K is the easiest to manage.  The 1A can be governed easily enough using dial down laser rules.  The 1B can use the dial down rules, but can easily enough get to 9 or slightly beyond by firing 3 weapons.  Ultimately all three of these units cost about the same.  Which unit you take is really up to what style you think you would prefer.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: MoTW Peacekeeper
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2020, 23:03:39 »
I'd say that the really big issue with the Peacekeeper is having multiple high-heat weapons without any serious secondary weaponry.  It heats up easily but none of its configurations really have any intuitive firing brackets, so figuring out how to actually get the most use out of its weaponry on any given turn is difficult.  And the other problem is just how expensive it is for an Inner Sphere mech.  It tries to go too many directions at once, resulting in a high BV that has something of a questionable return.

By the way, where does the information that the 1A was a prototype and the 1B was the production model come from?  Because TRO 3085 only mentions the 1A and has nothing on the 1B.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2020, 06:17:04 »
I find the idea that the Peace Keeper was designed for COIN operations quite laughable.  The thing is a massive, top end bruiser of a machine.  Taking this out to "pacify" the restless natives is like using M1A2s in Afghanistan - sure it works after a fashion, but it's a damnably inefficient way of doing things and put some really expensive kit a lot of risk...

To my mind the main problem with the Peacekeeper on the table top is the cost.  It's certainly not weak and its quite interesting to use, but the bv value is atrocious for what you get.  This costs as much to field as a Dire Wolf...

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2020, 23:48:47 »
And two of them working together might win against a single Dire Wolf.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2020, 00:13:05 »
I find the idea that the Peace Keeper was designed for COIN operations quite laughable. 

This is a universe where insurgency will eventually include mechs (the Read Reaper and Todesbote from XTRO: Most Wanted for example) because everything resolves around mechs in the BTU (realistic, no but we are talking giant stompy robots)

This was also the time the RotS and DC would begin hunting down units who flew the Black Dragon banner during the Jihad.

Reminds me a little of the 4/6 Banshees. Weapons load out is a little neurotic but at least you can say it has a gun for almost every job and armor to back it up.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2020, 00:13:39 »
I find the idea that the Peace Keeper was designed for COIN operations quite laughable.  The thing is a massive, top end bruiser of a machine.  Taking this out to "pacify" the restless natives is like using M1A2s in Afghanistan - sure it works after a fashion, but it's a damnably inefficient way of doing things and put some really expensive kit a lot of risk...

To my mind the main problem with the Peacekeeper on the table top is the cost.  It's certainly not weak and its quite interesting to use, but the bv value is atrocious for what you get.  This costs as much to field as a Dire Wolf...

While I like the Peacekeeper - I thought exactly the same thing.
The plasma rifle is great against soft targets like technicals or insurgent infantry, but the rest of the payload in all variants just seems like expensive overkill.
Two massive Heavy PPCs are more than most insurgencies are going to be able to raise.

Unless, you think of this in the context of the the CapCon and it’s efforts to destabilise the Republic. Then, between 3085 and 3132 you’re looking at near constant CapCon sponsored insurgencies, border raids and CCAF regulars conducting false flag ops, disguised as pirates or whatnot.
In this case, maybe a super heavy, super expensive machine with big guns works.

I kinda always saw this Mech as a Legate or knight’s ride - big and powerful, hang the expense because I was appointed by the freaking man, Stone himself.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2020, 09:09:35 »
Jump-jets and TSM combo, difficult to manage heat*, overtly big for its claimed role (even if insurgents have 'Mechs!), expensive.
It does have hilarious hitting power, but alas, without heat sinks to use it effectively...
Should've ditched the jump jets and light-ferro, added heat sinks and maybe swapped the ER laser for a large pulse type or added a smaller pulse laser. Would've resulted in cheaper yet more practical thing with more of its firepower usable.

*I don't actually mind lacking means to fine tune heat exactly with TSM 'Mechs, i'm OK with TSM just staving off movement-penalties and meanwhile making melee attacks hellish, but this 'Mech goes beyond reasonable because so much of its firepower is unusable if only about 10 point overheat is desired.

Still, despite these complaints, it does have certain character, and i think i'd be willing to use one. Probably need to add one to my RotS or Dark Age Kurita list...

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2020, 16:47:16 »
I'd say that the really big issue with the Peacekeeper is having multiple high-heat weapons without any serious secondary weaponry.  It heats up easily but none of its configurations really have any intuitive firing brackets, so figuring out how to actually get the most use out of its weaponry on any given turn is difficult.
The basic answer is it has a C3 slave and it can fight in whatever range bracket makes sense for it.  If there is no network though it does actually start to becoming more difficult trying to figure out what range you should be fighting at to optimize the situation.  Outside of the cost in putting one on the battlefield I think that's why it get little love.

By the way, where does the information that the 1A was a prototype and the 1B was the production model come from?  Because TRO 3085 only mentions the 1A and has nothing on the 1B.

TRO makes a comment that the design at the time of writing was in field trials with the 1A and 1B designs at the same time under the variants second.  Other than that not a whole lot either way.

I agree with you 100%.  Additionally you can get nearly the same performance and weapon's composition on a smaller chassis with only a slight downgrade in armor with a cheaper cost.

Reminds me a little of the 4/6 Banshees. Weapons load out is a little neurotic but at least you can say it has a gun for almost every job and armor to back it up.
After wrapping up the article I came to the conclusion that the design was somewhere between a Banshee and TSM Bereserker (minus the hatchet).  Something easy enough to transition to if you were a former Leaguer or Lyran.

Should've ditched the jump jets and light-ferro, added heat sinks and maybe swapped the ER laser for a large pulse type or added a smaller pulse laser. Would've resulted in cheaper yet more practical thing with more of its firepower usable.
I can't agree with ditching the Jump Jets.  I have a mock up or two that I may post in the design forums.  I can tell you though once you remove the jump jets it just loses flexibility.  I agree with subbing the ER Large, but don't feel that dropping it for pulse lasers is the right call either. 100% wouldn't have a problem with the SPL though.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2020, 12:44:57 »
Yeah, multi energy BFGs without a mix of smaller lasers makes it hard to manage that TSM.  I agree about the SRM2, which I GUESS can be insurgent purposed when used with Tear Gas or Flechette, being largely meh.  The only real thing on this design for use against insurgents would really be the plasma rifle and TSM feet.  The other weapons are for line combat, big hole punchers.  It would be interesting to get a Drac Peacekeeper vs a Republic Peacekeeper . . . either as a story about the Dragon's Fury/Warlord Katana Tormak vs Republic in early 3130s or Operation Eruptio.

And while art is not usually commented on . . . did someone feel the need to revisit the Mackie with a new crotch cannon on this thing?  Its not quite, but still pretty damn close . . . and it looks like it is walking past the wreckage of Darth Atlas.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2020, 13:20:21 »
The basic answer is it has a C3 slave and it can fight in whatever range bracket makes sense for it.  If there is no network though it does actually start to becoming more difficult trying to figure out what range you should be fighting at to optimize the situation.  Outside of the cost in putting one on the battlefield I think that's why it get little love.

Not range brackets, fire brackets.  As in "I'm going to fire X, Y, and Z weapons this round to try to maintain a balance between damage and heat."  There's no easy way to do that on a 1A.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2020, 05:24:14 »
Idle question:  does it have lower arm actuators?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2020, 10:57:25 »
No, it doesn't have them in any variant.  So it can arm flip in all of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2020, 07:00:04 »
I was thinking the Mech maybe slow, but it doesn't really need to be for its COIN job.  Plasma Rifle can make infantry lives rather unpleasant and the SRM-2 has Tear Gas it can use break up riots in a hurry.  While its other weapons can be used to do smack downs on enemy Mechs if needs.  I keep picturing this more in Urban setting, work with the UrbanMech since it's spectacularly slow in those areas, but good in city combat.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2020, 10:26:41 »
In regards to BV, that does seem awfully high for what you get.  Seems like a mech that you include because you want it, and plan some forces around it to make up for that high BV.  It isn't a mech you shoehorn in there because the BV is just right. 

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2020, 13:02:02 »
The BV calculation is unfortunately based on the assumption any overheating mech is build for range bracket firing. So a salvo firing mech like the Peacekeeper gets hurt quite a lot... :(

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2020, 14:13:07 »
Oh, make no mistake: I'm hitting that over ride button!

But yeah, BV has never been perfect and you should always factor that in. BV of the C3 factors that you will be taking advantage of those shared range brackets... which to be fair, don't think we have talked about yet.

Man, what would I team up with a Peacekeeper with C3?
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Register