Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week (2015-02-27): UM-R* UrbanMech & UrbanMech IIC  (Read 63778 times)

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 'Mech of the Week (2015-02-27): UM-R* UrbanMech & UrbanMech IIC
« Reply #180 on: 15 April 2016, 13:36:23 »
A Davion Heavy Guards company marches through the city. Suddenly from the top of a building they see an UrbanMech painted in a garish plaid.

"I'm Red Rory, the meanest and vilest foe ya have ever faced. Send your best man to the next street and I'll give him what's for."

The commander of the DHG company sends one of his recon Phoenix Hawks over to the next street. A minute later the head of the Hawk comes rolling into view.

"Is that all ya got!" came the taunt from the radio.

The DHG Captain sends over a Crusader to deal with the upstart UrbanMech. A minute later an arm of the Crusader comes flying out. Frustrated the Captain sends all of his fire lance over to deal with the Urbie. A minute later a tattered Riflemen staggers into the street.

"Run, it's a trap, there's two of them!"

(I just had to...)
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #181 on: 15 April 2016, 14:59:14 »

That got a good laugh out of me  O0
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #182 on: 15 April 2016, 16:49:32 »
Thing is, the Urbanmech is actually very well designed for what it was intended to be. It's cheap, has enough mobility for the built up terrain it is designed for, and has a big enough gun that it can make a difference in a fight.  It should NEVER be attempting to charge out to meet the enemy... and really, never attempting to charge anywhere. It should never be operating alone, either. It should ALWAYS have friends, either infantry, vehicles, or other Urbanmechs, as well as other defensive designs, like the Jagermech and Rifleman. And it was designed to fight other 3025 designs...

Every time I have seen an Urbanmech used intelligently, I've seen it do a decent job, and punch above it's weight...... but the niche is narrow, and you really have to both have a plan, and stick to it... as well as having contingencies, and be ready with them.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #183 on: 16 April 2016, 20:08:46 »
Urbies should only ever have a 60-rated engine.  that way when you make them go faster via MASC, TSM or a supercharger, you can see their little legs going "skattleskattleskattle".   :D
The UrbanMech IIC disagrees with your theories. :)

Also the Imp, which is after all really just the Marauder II of UrbanMechs.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #184 on: 17 April 2016, 04:21:07 »
Is there a 2/3 Imp variant?
We need the "heavy urbie"!
Edit: Yeh, just came back with that thought. There is the Anni. Looks nearly as goofy, too, but not quite.
That said, the clans break everything. They could at least have had the decency to make the design 10 tons lighter if they did that.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2016, 04:31:19 by UnLimiTeD »
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #185 on: 17 April 2016, 04:28:55 »

Also the Imp, which is after all really just the Marauder II of UrbanMechs.

The Annihilator, on the other hand, is four urbanmechs welded together.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #186 on: 17 April 2016, 05:16:02 »
The Annihilator, on the other hand, is four urbanmechs welded together.

Does anyone else have a vision of a lance of Urbies going "Team... Assemble!" and then climbing together and fusing to form the Annihilator?
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #187 on: 17 April 2016, 10:48:23 »
Say, can't find it at the moment, but there was a comic someone (NGNG?) did where the Urbie, to oppose an incoming invasion, strapped on his powered armor, becoming a JagerMech.

And then, of course, there's the attached:
« Last Edit: 17 April 2016, 10:51:21 by Giovanni Blasini »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #188 on: 17 April 2016, 13:08:16 »

another sign of Clanner mental illness, tampering with forces that ought be left alone!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #189 on: 17 April 2016, 13:10:30 »
Know what your talking about but can't find it. I did just find a edit someone made of a old sketch of mine last year
http://i57.tinypic.com/20jjwn.jpg
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #190 on: 18 April 2016, 16:16:17 »
Is there a 2/3 Imp variant?
We need the "heavy urbie"!
Edit: Yeh, just came back with that thought. There is the Anni. Looks nearly as goofy, too, but not quite.
That said, the clans break everything. They could at least have had the decency to make the design 10 tons lighter if they did that.

I'd say the flashman is part of the urbie family, in terms of shape, and it is a heavy. I can't think of a medium egg-bot though.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #191 on: 18 April 2016, 16:18:39 »

Say, can't find it at the moment, but there was a comic someone (NGNG?) did where the Urbie, to oppose an incoming invasion, strapped on his powered armor, becoming a JagerMech.

And then, of course, there's the attached:

I'd say the flashman is part of the urbie family, in terms of shape, and it is a heavy. I can't think of a medium egg-bot though.

Well, what about the Blackjack - which is basically a poor man's JagerMech
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #192 on: 18 April 2016, 16:30:28 »

Does anyone else have a vision of a lance of Urbies going "Team... Assemble!" and then climbing together and fusing to form the Annihilator?

A thousand internets to the first to kitbash this!
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #193 on: 18 April 2016, 23:57:25 »

Found it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/glitterboy2098/games/battletech/Mechwarrior%20Online/601076_598150456881143_1466618047_n_zpszyih4isu.jpg~original
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #194 on: 19 April 2016, 00:33:23 »

Well, what about the Blackjack - which is basically a poor man's JagerMech

I think the Hoplite is closer to the correct shape.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #196 on: 19 April 2016, 16:05:13 »
That's the one!

Wish the guy was still doing more those webcomics.  It was awesome.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Don Lunardi

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple on Purple!
« Reply #197 on: 19 April 2016, 23:30:48 »

And I'll form...THE HEAD!

Glorious O0
"Andurien: It's Hell with Jump Points!" - Failed Marketing Slogan for Tourism Andurien, circa 2398

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #198 on: 08 November 2021, 04:14:56 »
‘Mech of the Week Update (November 2021): UM-R# Series *UrbanMech

Oh, hai, everyone!  Guess what!  We’ve got more UrbanMechs!

-- Hey!  New Kickstarter artwork!

Going in-universe chronological order, let’s start with the UM-R90 SuburbanMech.  This has a long out-of-universe history, originating in Battletechnology magazine issue #18, before being fully canonized in Shrapnel #4. 

In-universe, the UM-R90 was the result of, in 3018, Hanse Davion making an effort to streamline AFFS logistics, and thus curtail the power of Michael Hasek-Davion.  How?  First, dump the autocannon, and replace it with a PPC.  Yeah, I know that the Fed Suns are stereotyped as being autocannon-crazy, but that’s really more of a recent phenomenon in a lot of ways, and a PPC hits just as hard as an AC/10, while reaching farther, and weighing less.

OK, so we’ve removed a 12-ton autocannon and ton of ammunition, and replaced them with a 7-ton PPC.  That leaves six tons to account for.  Two tons goes to mobility, with the fusion plant increasing from a 60-rating to a 90-rating standard engine plus a third jump jet being added, to round the mobility up to 3/5/3.  That’s a huge deal: you’re more mobile in open terrain, a better defensive movement modifier is within reach.  The changes don’t end there, though, with two more tons used to improve the number of heat sinks from 11 to 13, and the last two tons going to paired medium lasers in the left torso.

So, let’s review: speed increases to 3/5/3, firepower to a PPC, twin MLs and the traditional SL.  Heat sinks increase from 11 to 13.  Better speed, better firepower, same solid armor.  BV is 773, essentially the same as the PNT-9R Panther right across the Federated Suns’ border, and cost is only 1,690,325 C-Bills.  How well does it stack up against its neighbor?

In a test match on random, mixed terrain in MegaMek, four PNT-9R lost out to four UM-R90 SuburbanMechs, though it’s worth noting that the last Panther retreated against the last two SuburbanMechs, one of which had lost a PPC, with the other relatively intact.  Key takeaways:

• The Panther has better heat management, with its PPC and SRM-4 together heat neutral before movement. However…
  • The twin medium lasers, despite running hotter, do hit harder and, when not fired at the same time as the PPC, make heat management not so bad.  The big difficulty you’ll have is trying to convince yourself not to fire both medium lasers and the PPC when you’re around 3-6 hexes away.
  • Armor was essentially a wash: the Panther might be 5 tons heavier and have another 8 points, but it’s not that significant advantage when you have PPCs able to strip a single side torso or arm of either ‘Mech in a single shot, or twin medium lasers able to do it in two shots.
  • There’s a big difference between 2/3/2 and 3/5/3, but there’s not a big difference between 3/5/3 and 4/6/4.
  • Ammunition explosions are killers, and the SuburbanMech doesn’t have to worry about those.

But the Federated Suns thought they could do better in 3045, thanks to recovered technology.  The proposed UM-R100 SuburbanMech would increase the speed even more by swapping to a 120 GM fusion engine, famously used in the Wasp and Stinger.  Double heat sinks improve the cooling and provide the mass for the larger engine, gyro and extra jump jet, along with another half-ton of armor, arranged 9 head, 11/8 CT, 10/4 side torsos, 10 arms, 14 legs, increasing the Pantheresqueness of the SuburbanMech.  The twin medium lasers and single small laser would be retained, but the PPC would in turn be upgraded to an ER PPC.  Again, we’re looking at something akin to the latest Panther, the PNT-10K, but with the double heat sinks that DCMS Panther pilots would kill for, all for a mere 915 BV and 2,419,625 C-Bills.

Sadly, the UM-R100 would never see production, but the UM-R90 SuburbanMech would plod on, starting with the Federated Suns, but slowly spreading out to other factions.  Strangely, the ‘Mech seems to drop off the radar and the MUL after the Republic era, becoming extinct by the Dark Age.  However, if you want to run one in that era, I think it could be excused, either as an old surviving one someone parked somewhere, or a new refit.

The story of the UrbanMech doesn’t end there, though, because Recognition Guide #02 gives us a new Capellan UrbanMech, the UM-R96, which shows up in 3149.  Combining the snub-nose PPC of the UM-R80 and the hardened armor of the UM-R93, we have a 2/2/3 UrbanMech with 92 points of hardened armor, giving it protection comparable to a Succession Wars heavy ‘Mech.  Opposite the right arm SNPPC is a single X-Pulse Small Laser, giving the UM-R96 a weapon you could use against ‘Mechs, armor or infantry equally well, and just enough jump movement to get your +2 defensive movement modifier.  Ten double heat sinks is sufficient to manage heat, while BV is a mere 852 or 1,985,750 C-Bills.

I want to like the UM-R96 variant of the UrbanMech.  It’s a fine ‘Mech.  However, its deeply-Capellan origins, like the UM-R93 before it, mean it’s exclusive to that faction.  That makes it hard to recommend for the average player, who may well not be a Capellan player – perhaps it will expand to other factions eventually, but that hasn’t been the case yet for the similar UM-R93.

The UM-R90 SuburbanMech, meanwhile, avoids this issue: while it started as a Fed Suns exclusive, it rapidly expanded to St. Ives and the mercenary market, then the Capellans, Magistracy, Taurians, and Fitvelt, before slowly winding down to just the Fitvelt Coalition and mercenary markets by the end of the Republic age.  That’s far wider availability, making its inclusion in your force much easier to justify, though by the Dark Age, only the UM-R69, UM-R80 and UM-AIV Urbies appear to be truly universal.

« Last Edit: 08 November 2021, 04:25:42 by Giovanni Blasini »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #199 on: 08 November 2021, 07:32:15 »
The Hardened Armor Urbies are hilarious. I believe the R93 entry in XTRO Republic... eh 1 or 2, tells it best. Something about MechWarriors cursing undying walking trashcans  ;D

I have mixed feelings about the SubUrbie. Purely from gameplay perspective, it is good. Meta, it feels annoyingly good in comparison the standard Urbie, though fortunately BV does exist. In-universe, where are they getting 90-rated fusion engines? Feels quite extensive refit, questionably so given the Urbie's status. (No comment on the UM-AIV  ;).)

(Also, i wonder if there's a SubWayUrbanMech?)

Have to say i really wish we'd get a more universal Urbie variant with modern tech.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #200 on: 08 November 2021, 08:24:54 »
I'm glad this was updated.   The newest variants make the Urbanmech continue to be viable in niche situations.  I so wished the SuburbanMech had gotten into production, it would been nice machine.  I can understand it having faded away due to showing up in the past and explaining why it's not appearing later.

Funny thing, popularity of the UrbanMech continues with appearance of the joke UrbanMech LAM from Kickstarter and recent fan made stuff with Atlas with UrbanMech shoulder pads or the 100 ton UrbanMech Assault machine.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #201 on: 08 November 2021, 11:08:27 »
Over the years I've developed more of an appreciation for the Urbanmech.  A 10-point hit from a light 'mech is nothing to overlook regardless of the platform, even though the Panther is a better application of that.  Although I'd take the Suburbanmech I over the Panther for the fact it has no explody stuff in it, unless you need to disable the PPC's field inhibitor for a point-blank shot  :D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #202 on: 08 November 2021, 15:12:39 »
The Hardened Armor Urbies are hilarious. I believe the R93 entry in XTRO Republic... eh 1 or 2, tells it best. Something about MechWarriors cursing undying walking trashcans  ;D

I have mixed feelings about the SubUrbie. Purely from gameplay perspective, it is good. Meta, it feels annoyingly good in comparison the standard Urbie, though fortunately BV does exist. In-universe, where are they getting 90-rated fusion engines? Feels quite extensive refit, questionably so given the Urbie's status. (No comment on the UM-AIV  ;).)

(Also, i wonder if there's a SubWayUrbanMech?)

Have to say i really wish we'd get a more universal Urbie variant with modern tech.

The engines could come from the Hornet production line, which uses 100-rating engines of the same size.  Engines that might not have quite passed the QC for a 100-rating could've been downrated to 90 rating instead.  Alternatively, they may well have had a cache of 90-rating engines that weren't getting used for anything else.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #203 on: 08 November 2021, 15:17:02 »
That downrating concept opens a can of worms i don't want to think about.
And that cache of 90-rates makes me wonder why someone would've made them in the first place?

Just wish the SubUrbie article in Shrapnel had explained them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #204 on: 08 November 2021, 15:26:39 »
90 rate engines could have been used for unseen Industrialmechs or civilian vehicles.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #205 on: 08 November 2021, 16:21:39 »
90 rate engines could have been used for unseen Industrialmechs or civilian vehicles.

Or even power plants.  Is it known how much power a reactor at a given rating puts out?
BATTLEMASTER

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #206 on: 08 November 2021, 16:41:11 »
And that cache of 90-rates makes me wonder why someone would've made them in the first place?

The 90, 95 and 100-rating engines are all exactly the same mass: 3 tons.  It's not at all impossible that they're all the same engine, just rated for different outputs based on their QC checks.  That's something that happens all the time with real-world engineering.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #207 on: 08 November 2021, 17:35:37 »

Put it down to FASAnomics and leave it at that.....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #208 on: 08 November 2021, 17:41:29 »
The 90, 95 and 100-rating engines are all exactly the same mass: 3 tons.  It's not at all impossible that they're all the same engine, just rated for different outputs based on their QC checks.  That's something that happens all the time with real-world engineering.

I never thought of the fusion engine ratings that way, and IRL it's so true!  For example the Caterpillar 3116 diesel has at least four power ratings for the same engine block.  It gets even crazier with ECU hacking/unlockung for modern engines.
BATTLEMASTER

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #209 on: 08 November 2021, 18:18:04 »
I never thought of the fusion engine ratings that way, and IRL it's so true!  For example the Caterpillar 3116 diesel has at least four power ratings for the same engine block.  It gets even crazier with ECU hacking/unlockung for modern engines.

If you want to see some real madness, check out the range of output and applications for the Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 turbine