Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: ABS-XX Anubis  (Read 19713 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Week: ABS-XX Anubis
« on: 15 January 2016, 20:33:17 »
The Anubis, from TRO:3067

You have to hand it to Sun-Tzu Liao: rebuilding the Detroit manufacturing plants was a very slick move. Not only was it a sign of true commitment towards the Trinity Alliance, but it gave the Confederation reliable industrial output from a planet outside of direct Capellan influence. Any Davion or League raids would serve only to solidify the bonds between the periphery states and their new Successor State ally. As for the Magistracy and Concordat? They would gain a sudden boost of production for their floundering militaries, breathing life into aged ambitions of modernization and expansion. Although Detroit’s production between 3060 and 3062 is unknown, it’d be a safe bet to guess that the most advanced output would come in the form of introtech Stingers and Wasps. The Anubis, though…what a ‘Mech. It’s arrival would truly define a new era for the Periphery.

Let’s start with the chassis. Conceived as a partner for the Osiris, the design was rejected by all potential manufacturers within the Federated Suns. The designers, most likely desperate for any return on their investment, moved to the New Colony Region where Detroit Consolidated MechWorks quickly lept upon this advanced design. At 30 tons the Anubis was nothing too difficult for the Magistracy or Concordat to manufacture, although the Endo-Steel (domestically made above Detroit!) would be the first of its kind to ever be made for a Periphery state. Additionally, it was a blazingly new technology for the Confederation to share; it had only been available to them for roughly seven years. The 240-rated extralight engine was another piece of highly unavailable tech, giving the Anubis the same movement profile as the older Locust - a ‘Mech that had previously been by far the fastest in production in that part of space. The Comm System (taken from the Raven) and Targeting/Tracking System (taken from the Stinger and Duan Gung) ensured the Anubis pilots had reliable hardware at their disposal.

The most surprising and cutting-edge aspect of the Anubis would be in the 5.5 tons of Stealth Armor  protecting it in a 11(4)/9(3)/8/12 pattern (CT/ST/Arms/Legs), with full protection around the head. This armor, only fabricated since 3062 (one year before the Anubis entered production) had as of then been used on only a handful of refits and new designs. Sharing this exclusive technology proved that the Capellans truly wanted powerful allies to support them in their endeavors - albeit allies still reliant upon a supply chain originating in Confederation space. The advanced ECM used to power this Stealth Armor only sweetened the deal.

Firepower would also be impressive for such a light ‘Mech. Four LRM-5 launchers (previously used with great effect on the Vindicator) would plant the Anubis into the same light support role as the Duan Gung, Valkyrie or Hammer, all while carrying an even more impressive punch. The drawbacks were found with its back-up weaponry; a single Diverse Optics ER Small Laser (presumably imported from the Free Worlds League) would give the Anubis pitiful close-in capabilities. This is a larger problem than it might sound - only a single ton of ammo feeds the four LRM racks, giving each individual launcher only 6 volleys before running dry. Make sure you choose your shots wisely.

- -

Variants appeared almost immediately, with the quick and dirty -3R leading the pack. Introduced in 3064, two of the LRM-5 launchers were replaced by two RL-15s and a single RL-10, while armor was brought to its maximum potential. This variant is, in my eyes, better than the original. Not only is it tougher, but the two remaining LRM-5s end up having greater endurance off of the same single ton of ammo. The Rocket packs offer a decent close ranged punch to give a one-time mauling to anything that stumbles within their range, making it even more dangerous to any injured foes.

The -3T, with its arrival date of 3067, instead moved to replace the entire LRM array with a collection of ER Lasers. Two ER Mediums and a single ER Large add onto the original ER Small, while two more heat sinks allow the -3T to run and shoot its ER Large Laser with its stealth activated. This is a fine example of the advantage lasers can have over missiles; the -3T not only has greater endurance, but also a better close-in punch and a similar (if differently clustered) ranged damage profile. It is more of a line trooper than the -3L, and gives the Trinity Alliance their own light laserboat.

ABS-3MC, from XTRO: Periphery

The next model, showing up in the post-Jihad universe, was a result of Magistracy experimentation. This -3MC was a bit of a blend of prior models. Two Enhanced LRM-5 racks give it the ranged punch of the -3R, while the two ER Mediums ape the secondary firepower of the -3T. This gives the -3MC a hefty punch at range 4, while also creating a larger close-ranged bubble to exploit with the NLRM tubes. The upgrade of the ECM to an Angel model lets it interdict foes even with its Stealth activated, while disabling the Stealth opens the field more additional jamming options.

The -4C would be the final variant of the original chassis. A simple and obvious upgrade, the ranged firepower was supplied by two MML-5 racks while the close-in firepower was covered through twin ER Small Lasers. An extra half-ton of armor increased the coverage to 13(4)/10(4)/9/12 (CT/ST/Arms/Legs), toughening up the side torsos enough to take a  PPC hit without the damage going internal. The last change, and arguably one of the most important ones, was the inclusion of a second ton of ammo for the launchers. This Anubis can have true ranged longevity, or can use a ton of SRM ammo for devastating close-in blitzes. The second ton of ammo really changes things up more than it might seen; using specialty ammo is a much more attractive prospect on this model than any previous incarnations.

ABS-5Y, from TRO3145: Capellan Confederation

The Victoria War wreaked devastation on the Capellan industrial complex. This damage, culminating in the complete loss of Victoria and its factories, cost the Capellans dearly. In an incredible move of goodwill, even for a nation lead by the wife of the Capellan chancellor, the Magistracy ceded control of Detroit to the Confederation to assist them in rebuilding of their military. This lead to the loss of direct control over the manufacturing plants of multiple “traditional” Magistracy designs, including the Anubis - undoubtedly why the design was chosen to be aesthetically redesigned and put into production on Krimari.

Not a mere visual upgrade, the newer -5Y made a few important changes to further improve its hit-and-run nature. The inclusion of Improved Sensors would give these Anubis’ better sensor data then before, while the engine, reduced to a 210 XL, slightly slowed it in comparison to its older siblings. This swap would allow the back-up lasers to be replaced by much heavier Light PPCs, with the two LRM-5s fed by a single ton of ammo supporting them as per usual. When combined with the traditional stealth armor protection, the -5Y would carry a ranged array that surpassed any other Anubis model, making it a true threat to any targets engaged at range.

The sole variant of this newer chassis, the -5Z, instead moved to make the Anubis a deadly striker. With no LRMs to speak of, the missile barrage would instead come from two Streak SRM-4 launchers fed by a single ton of ammo. Two ER Medium lasers would add to the barrage, while the addition of TAG forged this Anubis into a devastating partner for guided artillery. Finally, the armor was massively hardened, coating the -5Z with a 15(4)/10(4)/10/14 (CT/ST/Arms/Legs) Stealth’d shell tough enough to take on nearly any incidental blows.

- -

What is the Anubis? A light ‘Mech that can fill multiple roles in the oft-limited Periphery and Confederation militaries. It can compete with the Duan Gung and Valkyrie in the light fire support role or the Locust and Cicada as a scout. Newer models can act as a Capellan-flavored Commando or Javelin. It is an ideal ‘Mech for Colonial Marshals, fitting in nicely with their hit-and-run combat doctrine tailored to force enemy forces to retreat rather than commit to a longer fight. What it is not suited to is straight-up or prolonged combat, and it will suffer if forced into that role. Instead, I’d recommend using it through quick strikes and strategic attacks.

Furthermore, depending on your type of game, the Anubis can be an excellent vector for alternate munitions. It can rapidly cover huge swathes of territory with Thunder-Augmented mines, brutalize unaware infantry with Fragmentation ammo, or cripple large convoys with Swarm missiles. But these tactics only work at their best if there is the possibility of retreating and reloading - if you only play pick-up games this wouldn’t be its ideal use. Later variants such as the -4C and -5Y can somewhat change this by having a larger array of firepower at their disposal, but make sure you know exactly what you want your Anubis to do before you bring it to the table.

- -

Iron Wind Metals: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2607
Master Unit List: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter?Name=anubis
Camospecs: http://www.camospecs.org/IWM/Details/560/anubis-abs-3l
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
Re: 'Mech of the Week: ABS-XX Anubis
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2016, 21:52:56 »
I have to admit I was unaware of the Anubis' backstory.
An interesting mech for the times, indeed.
I suppose both sides' commitment paid off, however.
It's probably good at it's job.
Also, kudos on the article!
What variant does the first picture show?
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2016, 22:05:01 »
i first encountered this mech in the Mechcommander 2 game, and despite lacking the stealth of the official version, it wound up near the top of my "try to salvage" list for the early campaign. it was fragile, but the payload and speed made it very useful. though i usually swapped some of the LRm's for lasers (because i had a bad tendency to run out of ammo mid mission in
 the MC2 game)

oddly, the official art for the design doesn't match up to any of the variants originally released. the art shows missiles and arm mounted direct fire weapons, but we didn't get a variant that actually had that mix till much later. the official art would likely represent the post Jihad -4C model, which has the weapons in the right places. the pre-Jihad models would either need to replace the gun-arms of the art with missiles (for the -3L and -3R) or remove the torso missiles for a gun (in the -3T)

« Last Edit: 15 January 2016, 22:10:25 by glitterboy2098 »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2016, 22:35:33 »
I cannot recall if i first encountered this 'Mech in The Capellan Solution mod for Command & Conquer Generals or MekTek MekPak for Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries.
I do recall i didn't think much of it in MW4, while in TCS it was just a 'Mech among others. A shame about the mod died so long ago, it had potential.

Anyway, the 'Mech itself. I dislike how the original variants do not properly match the artwork. Fortunately there are eventually two that do. Unfortunately one is a MML version (oh, it is a reasonable machine, obviously, but MMLs are kind of boring in their flexibility). And the other uses those blasted NLRMs. A dead-end tech if there's one.

ABS-5Y is really neat. Too bad it doesn't have a second ammo ton for specialty munitions but i guess Cappies and co. have enough of 'Mechs for delivering mines and such. A shame about the lost speed but it is a better sacrifice than armor, probably. XL-gyro would've allowed to retain 8/12 movement, requiring only moving the ECM to a side torso. But perhaps that would have been too... optimal? No complaints though.

All in all, a nice little 'Mech for the Cappies and their allies. (No, i won't say "Canopus and their Capellan allies".)

How's the 'mech in Alpha Strike?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2016, 22:43:38 »
Never been big fan of this one, its was always strange to me but wasn't well armored for my tastes in light mechs.

Thank you for writing up the Anubis's interesting back ground story, GreekFire!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2016, 23:04:49 »
*breaks out in hives at the mere sight of that thing*

I hate fighting these things. Genuinely hate it. Just... frustration personified. The standard model is a little undergunned and undersupplied, but the others-especially that damned laserboat- are just magnificent. Trying to kill an Anubis is a lesson in futility.

Trying to kill half a dozen, as a CERTAIN CAPELLAN PLAYER AROUND HERE likes to do, is just wrong.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Heretic

• Corporal
  • time for your daily dose of vitamin butt-kicking
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2016, 00:06:30 »
Trying to kill an Anubis is a lesson in futility.

Aw, c'mon. Can't be that hard. Two Clan-tech ERPPCs to the chest and an LB-X AC/20 followup will leave this thing crippled.

Maybe giving it a nice, refreshing bath of PULSE LASER DEATH will also do the trick.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2016, 00:31:31 »
Aw, c'mon. Can't be that hard. Two Clan-tech ERPPCs to the chest and an LB-X AC/20 followup will leave this thing crippled.

Maybe giving it a nice, refreshing bath of PULSE LASER DEATH will also do the trick.

very fast, stealth armor with plenty of Heat dissipation, and weapons optimized for long range plinking.

sure it dies quick to anything with firepower, but the trick is to actually hit the darn thing first, and that is HARD if it's employed properly. your contending with not only a high movement mod but also the penalties from stealth armor (which this thing can afford to run constantly, unlike many other stealth designs.)  and since it's main firepower is LRM's, it can afford to stay at a distance where those stealth mods really come into play.

the downside is of course the limited ammo, so the main version has to lurk around the edges of a fight waiting for a good shot. the variants improve this greatly, letting the mech contribute more. though the -3T's laser armament forces it to close in more than is really safe, and the -4Z's SRM's seem suicidal.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2016, 01:02:42 »

8/12 movement (+4 TMM), with a +6 to hit at long range before anything else is even considered means that even Clan pilots with Large Pulse Lasers will have a tough time trying to take it down.  an ER PPC will connect on roughly 1/36 shots if you're lucky enough to get it to have to turn enough to get its TMM below 4 (and even then, with a Clan pilot gunnery skill 3; 3 (base) + 3 TMM + 6 long range is already a 12 to hit).
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Heretic

• Corporal
  • time for your daily dose of vitamin butt-kicking
« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2016, 01:43:26 »
very fast, stealth armor with plenty of Heat dissipation, and weapons optimized for long range plinking.

sure it dies quick to anything with firepower, but the trick is to actually hit the darn thing first, and that is HARD if it's employed properly. your contending with not only a high movement mod but also the penalties from stealth armor (which this thing can afford to run constantly, unlike many other stealth designs.)  and since it's main firepower is LRM's, it can afford to stay at a distance where those stealth mods really come into play.

8/12 movement (+4 TMM), with a +6 to hit at long range before anything else is even considered means that even Clan pilots with Large Pulse Lasers will have a tough time trying to take it down.  an ER PPC will connect on roughly 1/36 shots if you're lucky enough to get it to have to turn enough to get its TMM below 4 (and even then, with a Clan pilot gunnery skill 3; 3 (base) + 3 TMM + 6 long range is already a 12 to hit).

Guys, you're over-exaggerating, I feel. Stealth armor (at least in my experience; YMMV) is wafer thin and is only scary because it's over-hyped. Once you start hitting internals and crits, this little thing will become popcorn.

Sure, hitting it at range will be a nightmare, but getting up close and personal is probably the best way to deal with it. Just keep chasing and herding it into a corner it can't escape from, then you start the mauling.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2016, 01:54:49 »
Ah, so the solution to this piece of equipment on a unit that is optimized to use it is to herd it into an artificially created product of the fact that this is a board game, and not find a real counter to it.

Good to know.  I'll be sure to suggest that to my Covenant Guards company commander next game I play.  I doubt she'll really understand what I mean by herding something into the corner of an imaginary map grid square, but that'll definitely keep the flank secured from harassers.

(The post is tongue in cheek, but the point I'm getting at is "exploit this part of the board game" really doesn't help when figuring out what to do with it from a commander's perspective)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2016, 02:28:29 »
if you can 'herd it into a corner', the opposing commander was an idiot. this thing is mobile enough that it should be able to slip through any attempts to 'herd' it with minimal damage, since very few of its opponents can keep up with it, and unless you outnumber it hundreds to one, your battleline will be more hole than wall..

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2016, 03:57:52 »
The counter for this evil evil machine is another fast hunter, but it is an evil little machine that can dance around at long range with near immunity to being hit.  Sure you hit it and it knows it but its landing that blow that's the problem.

A great article though Greek Fire :) Very informative and interesting history as well as an eye opener, I didn't know there was quite so many flavours of Anubii.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2016, 04:28:59 »
Two old-fashioned Locusts should be enough to take care of the basic version without much trouble. Just run straight towards it, if it tries to keep the range open the LRMs are next to useless (9s or 10s to hit at medium range. After firing off all the ammo it's caused about 15 points of damage...), if it doesn't keep the range open the Locusts outgun it 6 to 1 at short range. The later versions with more short-range weapons or better endurance are harder, but I still expect the Locusts to have good odds.

And of course you can use upgraded Locusts instead. ;) But the best thing is that the Locust is still one of the most common mechs in the IS, so if you want a company of them is perfectly reasonable! :D

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2016, 04:34:15 »
How would a Clanner counter one? Throw a Firemoth at it or something like a Fenris who's job seems to be to bully and obliterate IS lights and mediums. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2016, 04:59:05 »

I have used the ABS-5Y in Alpha Strike and it is very effective: 14" move, 2 Long damage and STL special.  O0
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 16 January 2016, 06:11:27 »
Its a fun little design. The original with the single ton of ammo might not be the best design out there, but for the Periphery that was getting them at the time, the design had to be an eye opener with its XL engine, Endo Steel, Stealth armor and advanced electronics. It wouldn't surprise me if a few got dropped off at MMM for "research." The XL engine makes its a little pricey from what they're used too, but its not too bad. The original two variants are nice little additions to the forces as well.

I think the only surprise with the 4C is how long it took to come about. MMLs is an obvious choice for the design and the second ton of ammo lets it utilize specialty ammo, or SRMs, depending on the pilot's choice. SRMs had to be fun for pilots, especially since opponents had 2 decades at that point to figure out the best way to defeat an Anubis was to get close. Well, surprise. SRMs to the face. Considering this variant came out a year after the 3MC from XTRO Periphery, I wonder if this is the downgraded version of that. "Yeah, the 3MC is nice. But how likely are we to get enough Angel ECM and Enhanced LRM launchers to make this a viable production variant?" "Yeah, okay. Swap these components out, and we can actually keep up with demand."

The new variants from 3145 lose their Locust like speed, but I'm willing to trade the extra tonnage for sustained damage. The 5Z with its Streak 4s is a definite change from the typical Anubis, and it has to be a surprise for those facing it. "Why is it trying to close?"

As for the original art, the fluff sort of covers it. It states that as a shortcut/cost cutting measure, they used the same forearm housing for both arms, despite only the left arm having a weapon.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 16 January 2016, 07:20:26 »
Ah, so it's mass production over material efficiency.
I can sort of get behind that.
That said, the one ton of ammo on the base version basically ensures it will live in most fights, as hunting it down is just not worth the effort.
It's really hard to hit, and you just know that by the time you do, it's going home anyways.
Unless it runs into an infantry ambush, I suppose.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2016, 09:27:28 »
Ah, so the solution to this piece of equipment on a unit that is optimized to use it is to herd it into an artificially created product of the fact that this is a board game, and not find a real counter to it.

Good to know.  I'll be sure to suggest that to my Covenant Guards company commander next game I play.  I doubt she'll really understand what I mean by herding something into the corner of an imaginary map grid square, but that'll definitely keep the flank secured from harassers.

(The post is tongue in cheek, but the point I'm getting at is "exploit this part of the board game" really doesn't help when figuring out what to do with it from a commander's perspective)

Particularly since the evil son of a bitch I deal with likes to use them in multiples. Corner one, expose your rear to the other five he's using. Plus any Regulators and such.

But hey, you cornered ONE of them, good on ya!  ^-^

(damn Capellans!)

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 16 January 2016, 10:29:34 »
I think one of the better ways to counter them (beyond fielding a quick pulse-boat) would be through using some more modern AoE tech like Artillery Cannons. The Anubis isn't particularly tough in most of its incarnations, and will quickly collapse if properly focused down.

...and the -4Z's SRM's seem suicidal.

Well, the -4Z does have maxed out armor and the Stealth is nice for forcing opponents to *only* focus on it at the expense of everything else. It's a solid little light 'Mech, akin to many other light Skirmishers that people have been using for years.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2016, 10:38:50 by GreekFire »

MightyBolamite

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2016, 10:55:37 »
I have mixed feelings on this thing.
I first encountered it in MC2, where it was a god. I fielded as many as I could, making the whole campaign really quite easy. But it was fun for me. Pretty sure that version had JJ too.
The next encounter was in Dark Age clickytech. It looked amazing! It played pretty alright too.
Imagine my surprise when I actually looked up its' armament. It really seems, underwhelming.
And besides all of that, the Cappies are one of my most hated Houses, and that is really saying a lot.

Plus, the old model makes me think of this every time:

Cracks me up.  ;D

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2016, 11:33:13 »

What variant does the first picture show?

The original Anubis

One thing I think is missing from the article is that the original Mech had housings for two ER Small Lasers (as it was easier) but not the tonnage for both lasers resulting in the original artwork which had a Mech with two laser's mounted but the tonnage to hold only one.

Otherwise a nice article and I agree with the comments the speed, ranged firepower and stealth armour make this thing a pain to fight.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2016, 13:49:51 »
One thing I think is missing from the article is that the original Mech had housings for two ER Small Lasers (as it was easier) but not the tonnage for both lasers resulting in the original artwork which had a Mech with two laser's mounted but the tonnage to hold only one.

To be honest, something I forgot about. Article was getting long and was in a sort of "development hell" for me, I just wanted to get it out and done with by the end of it.

Something else that could be said is how the Anubis suffered from quality issues from its inception, unsurprising when you consider when and where it was built.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2016, 18:27:09 »
honestly my question would be "where are the other 2 LRM racks?"

i do wonder why we didn't get a version with 2 LRM5's and a pair of lasers earlier though. even something as simple as dropping the extra LRm's for a pair of mediums, some extra armor, and some extra ammo would have made for a useful variant that matches the art.

and i agree with comments above.. the best way to deal with these is to take some fast lights of your own that can catch them and get in close where the stealth is less useful. Locusts, Fireballs, etc.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2016, 20:12:46 »
Could be that the launchers are like the Atlas. Fire multiple missiles through the same holes. Its more complicated since its two launchers rather than the same launcher firing multiple times, but its possible.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2016, 20:45:42 »

Long Tom Cannon.  No TMM or Stealth modifiers to deal with.  >:D
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #26 on: 16 January 2016, 22:26:37 »
I'll be honest, when I designed the 5Y I was thinking more thunders than plain LRMs. The LPPCs are the things you shoot every turn with the LRMs being thrown in on juicy targets or for other "duties". With your main guns not requiring ammo, you can afford to just stay at range and plink away with little fear of reprisals. IT is the slow way of killing something but a safe way to kill something.

The 5Z was designed to slice through formations firing everything. If you missed with the streaks, no big deal, you didn't exactly build much heat. If you hit, particularly if you were cutting through and in someone's rear arc, you gave them a nasty surprise. I believe I cost someone their Devastator on the initial test run.

To be fair to Hellbie, most of the Anubis that he faced were from MWDA and that high defense and speed just made them annoying to kill. Death by a thousand papercuts. I hope we get the 5Y made in mini form. I may just have to paint a company of them. I only had two companies of them for MWDA with matching pilots.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #27 on: 17 January 2016, 18:14:41 »
While I was sort of indifferent to the original art, I really like the redone art for being . . . well, Anubis.

As far as LPPCs . . . eh, New Toy . . . it would have been better to take a page out of IIRC the Anubis from MC2 which I would swear had a ERLL along with the LRMs . . . or I did that every time.  No minimums, range is slightly better though you trade for the heat.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 17 January 2016, 18:38:53 »
I discovered the Anubis, thanks to MechCommander 2 - but have really liked it since. Whenever I am fielding a CapCon force, if the era permits, I do try to field at least one, if not both of my minis. Most of the variants are very good for what they do, and the added difficulty in hitting them, due to the Stealth Armor is complete bonus, during a game. One of these can totally disrupt your opponent, as it is both fast enough to get where you need it, but also difficult enough to hit, to leave out on a flank, by itself.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #29 on: 17 January 2016, 18:59:48 »
To be fair to Hellbie, most of the Anubis that he faced were from MWDA and that high defense and speed just made them annoying to kill. Death by a thousand papercuts. I hope we get the 5Y made in mini form. I may just have to paint a company of them. I only had two companies of them for MWDA with matching pilots.

Hate. HATE. HAAAAATE.

HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE.

ALL OF TEH HATEZ.

I'm on the wrong side of the Anubis Army-O-Doom oftentimes, and it's just... man, no. Just... I hope you taped the container they're in shut.

+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #30 on: 17 January 2016, 21:50:46 »
I'll be honest, when I designed the 5Y I was thinking more thunders than plain LRMs. The LPPCs are the things you shoot every turn with the LRMs being thrown in on juicy targets or for other "duties". With your main guns not requiring ammo, you can afford to just stay at range and plink away with little fear of reprisals. IT is the slow way of killing something but a safe way to kill something.

The 5Z was designed to slice through formations firing everything. If you missed with the streaks, no big deal, you didn't exactly build much heat. If you hit, particularly if you were cutting through and in someone's rear arc, you gave them a nasty surprise. I believe I cost someone their Devastator on the initial test run.

I'm surprised it took you this long to respond.

My favorite of the originals is the MML version, an LRM10 is good for a light, but being able to swap it for 10 SRMs is a fun surprise
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #31 on: 17 January 2016, 22:37:22 »
Honestly, for the Canopians and Taurans how well did the original series of designs fit with their own forces?

This was probably their most mobile light/medium until the advent of the IJJ as regular equipment.  Were Anubis important to the TC/MoC units that participated in Trinity military actions?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #32 on: 17 January 2016, 22:45:49 »
As far as LPPCs . . . eh, New Toy . . . it would have been better to take a page out of IIRC the Anubis from MC2 which I would swear had a ERLL along with the LRMs . . . or I did that every time.  No minimums, range is slightly better though you trade for the heat.
That would only work if you dropped the LRMs and are willing to cause heat issues. But then again, you would just be recreating the Sha Yu.

Besides, LPPCs have been out since 2006.

I'm surprised it took you this long to respond.
I've been busy.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 18 January 2016, 01:02:05 »
Honestly, for the Canopians and Taurans how well did the original series of designs fit with their own forces?

Well, the Canopians have the Locust, so they're used to the speed atleast, but the original Anubis gives them a unit with matching speed, more durability, EW capabilities and a long range punch. I don't really see it not working out.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2016, 09:55:02 »

This was probably their most mobile light/medium until the advent of the IJJ as regular equipment.  Were Anubis important to the TC/MoC units that participated in Trinity military actions?

It fits very well, in my opinion. In many ways, it was a harbinger of things to come. Before the Anubis, the quickest thing available to the TC/MoC was the stock Locust - a close-in backstabber that complements the longer-ranged Anubis quite well. From there on, we see a gradual shift towards quicker units for both factions. They'd get access to the Ebony, Locust -5T, Cadaver, Stinger -6L/-5G, Wasp -7MAF...all units that compliment the Anubis' niche quite well.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 18 January 2016, 20:04:22 »
Of course, that's probably true to the majority of light 'Mechs no matter the faction :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #36 on: 18 January 2016, 20:20:58 »
Well, I was not just referring to light mechs but the overall tactics their regiments would have . . . I mean, looking at what they got with some of their home designs on the TC-side like the Brahma . . . not sure it fits.  For the MoC?  Yeah- Ebony, Eurleyka, Calliope . . . makes sense.
Colt Ward

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #37 on: 18 January 2016, 21:10:19 »
Well, I was not just referring to light mechs but the overall tactics their regiments would have . . . I mean, looking at what they got with some of their home designs on the TC-side like the Brahma . . . not sure it fits.  For the MoC?  Yeah- Ebony, Eurleyka, Calliope . . . makes sense.

I'm not too familiar with what the TC has, all I know is that they have a wicked-fast variant of the Thud and the Warhammer that could add to a mobile regimental doctrine. Even so, IMO it matters less and less as time goes on; I'd guess that in the current era most surplus Anubis' would be shifted towards the friendlier Andurien market instead of the Taurian one.

Of course, that's probably true to the majority of light 'Mechs no matter the faction :)

True, but the Magistracy stands out to me as putting a very heavy emphasis on maneuverable lights/mediums. Hell, do they even have a light 'mech slower than 8/12 in production come the Dark Age?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #38 on: 19 January 2016, 01:24:42 »
The Marshal is still in production, isn't it?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 19 January 2016, 05:56:23 »

Its really hard to say when the Anubis first comes out. The Magistracy and Taurian armies are hodgepodges of whatever they happen to have at the time and what production they've managed over the years. Pretty much anything is going to fit. As time progresses however...

True, but the Magistracy stands out to me as putting a very heavy emphasis on maneuverable lights/mediums. Hell, do they even have a light 'mech slower than 8/12 in production come the Dark Age?

Well, in an amusing turn around, yes, they do. The Anubis :) Modern versions are 7/11 :) But yeah, they definitely do seem to be going for speed. Even the Eyleuka was originally envisioned with MASC before going the IJJ route. The Koschei is a somewhat fast heavy...Even the Penthesilea could be considered faster than normal.

What I find sort of interesting is how the Magistracy is handling their Stealth 'Mechs. The Capellans are creating "Shadow Lances" (If not Companies at this point). The Canopians definitely have enough designs at this point that they could do the same (then again, they could do this with the Anubis), so I wonder how they're deploying them..their own Shadow Lances or on their own.

The Marshal is still in production, isn't it?

Well, its got a modern variant. Whether that's just a refit (NTNU states they're refits of older designs, but it could still be in production on Detroit).

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 19 January 2016, 08:32:22 »
That would only work if you dropped the LRMs and are willing to cause heat issues. But then again, you would just be recreating the Sha Yu.

Besides, LPPCs have been out since 2006.
In my mind a better option than an ERLL and a spare ton is a Snub-nosed PPC, if you don't like the paired LPPCs. You want to try and duck inside the minimum range of the LRMs? Ok have a 10-point punch with that looong short range bracket. Creates an unbalanced look though, so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I've been busy.
Really? I thought there was a little Anubis-shaped silhouette that popped up on your phone whenever the Anubis was mentioned anywhere, even the spoken word.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #41 on: 19 January 2016, 12:06:35 »
Hate. HATE. HAAAAATE.

HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE.

ALL OF TEH HATEZ.

I'm on the wrong side of the Anubis Army-O-Doom oftentimes, and it's just... man, no. Just... I hope you taped the container they're in shut.
How do thunder mines work against this thing? That would seem to combine two of your favorite things: Mines and killing Anubis 'Mechs.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 19 January 2016, 12:16:54 »
Same way they work against any other ground based 'Mech? Of course, the Anubis will probably laugh at mines because it simple helps them. The Anubis doesn't want to close, and if you mine the area its just going to stay back and keep launching LRMs at you (well, for as long as its ammo lasts anyway) while reaping the benefits of its Stealth armor.

Sure, if you surround it with 20 point mine fields so it can't go anywhere its going to cry, but pretty much any 'Mech will do that.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #43 on: 19 January 2016, 15:19:12 »
Well, in an amusing turn around, yes, they do. The Anubis :) Modern versions are 7/11 :)

Bahaha, wow, my brain must have been fried when I wrote that one... :p

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 19 January 2016, 18:31:53 »
S'okay, easy to forget, especially since 5 out of 7 of them are basically carbon copies except for their weapon loadouts (and the occasional minor change in armor).

Its kind of interesting that the fluff of the 3MC suggests a variant in the making that would replacing the Stealth armor with Null Sig and CPLS. A pipe dream I'm sure, but still kind of interesting.

Register