Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: Vapor Eagle  (Read 15209 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: Vapor Eagle
« on: 08 April 2016, 01:24:34 »
’Mech of the Week: Vapor Eagle

Vapor Eagle. Inner Sphere name: Goshawk. A 55-ton Clan second-line BattleMech. A duelist’s machine, and that of those who like to live a bit on the edge.

At least based on how I learned to use it during a Tukayyid campaign. (Seriously, the game master had to hate Vapor Eagles by the time that ended.)

The Vapor Eagle comes from Technical Readout: 3055, under its Spheroid designation.

There is no indication as to exactly which Clan developed the Vapor Eagle. Although both Readout entries feature the Steel Vipers, by the time of Operation: Revival, the Vapor Eagle had spread to all of the Clans. My current feeling is that the most likely suspects are the Snow Ravens, Jade Falcons, and the Cloud Cobras. Part is from the bird name, part is from the resemblance of the name to that given to one of the F-15 fighter jet variants (which all were Eagles of some form). That said, by hook or crook, the Steel Vipers ended up having the highest concentration of the design by the time of the Invasion.

Now, the Vapor Eagle was originally designed as a dueling platform. Based on the Clan Trial system (especially those of Position), dueling is not a bad plan. It is possible that the Vapor Eagle is at least inspired by the venerable Griffin, if only for the styling of the arm baffles. This might not have been a good thing, as I have heard that the original Vapor Eagle’s look is considered among the ugliest in history.

The original Vapor Eagle entered service in 2863, nine years after the advent of the OmniMech. Whether that event had any effect of this design is a bit murky. OmniMech technology took some time to propagate. The design is built around an endo-steel skeleton and mounts a 330-rated extralight engine. Ground speeds are equivalent to the later Stormcrow. Six jump jets give the design enhanced maneuverability. Nine tons of ferro-fibrous armor was used to give 93% of maximum protection, laid out in a 9, 28/5, 20/5, 16, 24 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs respectively). Eleven double-strength heat sinks do well enough with the heat output. Weapons consist of a large pulse laser in the right arm, three medium pulse lasers (two in the right torso, one in the left), a 2-pack Streak SRM in each side torso, and four machine guns (one in the left torso, three in a handgun-esque housing in the left arm). A half ton of ammunition for the machine guns is stored in the left arm, and a ton of Streak ammo is placed in the left torso. A targeting computer sits in the right torso to make the design even more lethal (and in the old rules set particularly nasty).

In 2912, a much less popular variant, the Vapor Eagle 2 arrived. This model drops one heat sink, the Streak packs, one medium pulse, and moves another medium pulse to replace the large pulse laser. A Class-10 Ultra autocannon was placed in the left torso, fed by two tons of ammunition (stored in the right torso).

These two variants proliferated across Clan space. So much so that by the time they returned to the Inner Sphere, ComStar could not help but notice them (at least when they got around to dealing with the garrison designs). The Vapor Eagle almost certainly proved itself against any Inner Sphere raiding parties. Any that managed to be acquired by Inner Sphere groups would have been well-loved (not least of which by the protagonist in Ghost of Winter).

Then came Operations Bulldog and Serpent. In the ensuing chaos and restructuring, the Steel Vipers got themselves ejected from their Occupation Zone. As one of the ripples caused by this (along with the beginnings of what eventually would doom the Clan), the Vipers reworked the Vapor Eagle. Much of the redesign appears more like a field refit, though the reworking of its aesthetic profile does call that into question. The Vapor Eagle 3 arrived in 3062, and takes the original and swaps the large pulse laser for a Particle Cannon, the medium pulses for heavies, trades the Streaks for standard models and removes the machine guns for a 3-pack ATM launcher placed in the left arm. One ton of ammunition was stored with the launcher. Four heat sinks were added, though that does little to help with the added heat output.

The final variant, the Vapor Eagle 4 arrived in 3066. This is a particularly radical variant. They started by removing the jump jets and weaponry. These were replaced by twin 6-pack ATM launchers (one to each side torso), four medium lasers in the right arm, and three small lasers in the left arm. Two tons of ammunition was stored in each side torso. Seventeen heat sinks do well with the heat output.

How I would use one of these is a bit tricky. I say that as I have only used the first variant with any regularity. And then there is the fact that when I look at a design like this, I tend to act like a brash, borderline insane fighter pilot. You know, the ones you hear about who just want to get into a dogfight. Anyway, I tend to jump forward, strike hard, then (if I lose initiative) jump away somewhere they can’t get to me. And while I should mind my heat, sometimes I just get lost in the fight. That said, the number of enemy pilots I melted out of their cockpits…

Fighting one is a bit of a task. Darn things are hard to hit. Focused fire, targeting computers, and big guns do help a bit. As does precision ammunition, if you are so inclined. If he falls down, make sure to hit him hard while he tries to get back up.

Far as I can tell, the Vapor Eagle shall continue to be used for some time to come. All of the Clans that remain (Inner Sphere or otherwise) have the design in their toumans. That said, the loss of the Steel Vipers have dropped the number considerably. And it is unclear whether the last two variants managed to propagate outside of the Vipers. There is also the matter of the Goshawk II which the Raven Alliance has created to fill holes in its touman. Still, this design should last. At least until the end of everything rumored to be approaching.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: ’Mech of the Week: Vapor Eagle
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2016, 05:05:12 »
Nice article :) I always liked the Goshawk. It could utterly shred an opposing medium due to being a laser rave with its pulsers which are nicely slotted into a targetting computer for added brutality.  Its fast, agile and can run down Mediums and gun down lights whilst having a punch to make a heavy consider its options.

It also was a very striking Mech visually.

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2016, 05:11:53 »
Absolutely love the design, the original anyway, to the point where I have to forbid myself from using it too often.

With the pulse lasers, speed and armour, coupled with the maneuverability it's a very forgiving ride to green warriors, and putting a veteran in there means it can credibly take on Heavies.

Heat management is actually quite easy too, just a matter of adding or dropping the LPL.

All of which is why I don't let myself use it too often, it's just too easy and powerful for what it is.

The 2 I've used a couple of times, and it's a pale imitation. The UAC is an interesting swap, but takes away too much.

Only used the 3 twice, each time choosing ammo for the ATM was a pain. Good, useful evolution of the original, taking away the perks of the pulse lasers but replacing them with power, it's more of a challenge to use, but to be honest I'd happily drop the SRMs in favour of another tonne or two of ATM ammo simply so it could be used the way it should be.

Haven't tried the 4, and to me it's not really a Vapor Eagle anymore simply because the performance is too different.

And personally I've always found the art, both images, to be quite aesthetically pleasing. Odd cockpit set up, but overall striking in a good way.

Good article, especially the less than straightforward history.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2016, 06:51:00 »
This one of my fave Clan second-liners, along with the Hellhound and Peregrine. I just love the loadout of the original model. "Kills them, kills them with energy"
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2016, 07:30:39 »
This one was one that had weird fluff in my opinion.  Here's this hotrod pulse/TComp unit thats fast and dangerous.... oh wait, in universe they only reserve them for dueling.  Riiiiight  ::)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2016, 07:37:25 »
The Goshawk is one of those 'Mechs where I actually prefer the looks of its Dark Age incarnation.
The TRO art for the Goshawk II is pretty fantastic, too.

As for the original...don't have tons of experience with it. Used it a bit as part of a small Steel Viper campaign, where it did decently enough.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2016, 07:40:47 »
This one was one that had weird fluff in my opinion.  Here's this hotrod pulse/TComp unit thats fast and dangerous.... oh wait, in universe they only reserve them for dueling.  Riiiiight  ::)

Its the Clans :p  Who ever said they had to make sense or keep within their weird rules.

"WE HATE ABBREVIATIONS! KEEP THE LANGUAGE PURE!"

"Star Commander, would you like a cup of tea?"

"Aff!"

*everyone points out the blatant contraction use*

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2016, 12:05:47 »

Similar fluff for the Incubus/Vixen, anything not Omni was usually only seen in garrisons and Clan garrison units liked dueling.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2016, 16:09:21 »
I have always considered this the Wolverine IIC, though the 1 is more like a LL armed WVR-6 and the 2 is actually like the -6R.  It is one of those mechs if it ends up with a better pilot I want to use the TC for aimed shots from the LPL after it has already fired a bit- Left/Right, Upper/Lower . . . see if you can find the hole again.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2016, 17:14:16 »
Similar fluff for the Incubus/Vixen, anything not Omni was usually only seen in garrisons and Clan garrison units liked dueling.

prior to the invasion, trials in the form of full scale battles would have been less common, i imagine. their equivalent of raids or small-gain conflicts would have been basically duels. further, Zell would have been in wider, more stringent use  even in the bigger conflicts, so you would still have a fair number of duels even in an full war between clans.

Adgar76

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 08 April 2016, 17:21:41 »
I have used the 4 in a couple occasions, and I can say that it really is a brutal machine. A potential 78 damage at short range for a manageable overheat? It's just insane.
It does not play like the other Vapor Eagle models, it feels more like a Stormcrow (one of the good configs).

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 08 April 2016, 18:09:01 »
Its the Clans :p  Who ever said they had to make sense or keep within their weird rules.

"WE HATE ABBREVIATIONS! KEEP THE LANGUAGE PURE!"

"Star Commander, would you like a cup of tea?"

"Aff!"

*everyone points out the blatant contraction use*

Slang is not a contraction. ;)

Saying "Aff" instead of "Affirmative" saves time in the middle of a battle.  Saying "I won't" instead of "I will not" is a display of laziness.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2016, 18:40:13 »
The orignal TC/Pulse Goshawk is the reason why we can't have nice things
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #13 on: 08 April 2016, 19:15:38 »
I recently managed to acquire an original Goshawk mini.  Now I just need a chance to use it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 08 April 2016, 19:24:08 »
Slang is not a contraction. ;)

Saying "Aff" instead of "Affirmative" saves time in the middle of a battle.  Saying "I won't" instead of "I will not" is a display of laziness.
Now that's an argument a real clanner would use! Respect!   
... doesn't change it, though. :P

As for the mech, never used one. Looks reasonably munchy, though.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 08 April 2016, 19:39:54 »
I have always considered this the Wolverine IIC, though the 1 is more like a LL armed WVR-6 and the 2 is actually like the -6R.  It is one of those mechs if it ends up with a better pilot I want to use the TC for aimed shots from the LPL after it has already fired a bit- Left/Right, Upper/Lower . . . see if you can find the hole again.
I've read that Hellhound was actually more the Wolverine IIC of the Clans then the Vapor Eagle/Vixen.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 08 April 2016, 20:19:38 »
Well, they came out about the same time, but in universe at different times.  Weapons are roughly the same though the Hellhound has a SFE rather than the XL the Vapor Eagle sports.  The weight difference gets dumped into a TC, MG, pulse vs ER, and Streak upgrade though the Hellhound puts the SRMs in the same torso which matches aesthetically. 

No one has ever come out and said either one is, its just my opinion that the Vapor Eagle does with weight factoring in and as I said the 2 having a AC like the -6R.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 09 April 2016, 00:52:36 »
Sad, but true *cues up Metallica CD*
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #18 on: 09 April 2016, 10:31:46 »
I love the toys the Steel Vipers had, both good and not-so-good.  This one is one of the ones I almost feel bad about using.  It seems that the Vipers were AWESOME at making second-line Mechs, and less adequate at their Omni design (which is puzzling, but hey, at the end of the day, I still like the Crossbow and Battle Cobra).
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 09 April 2016, 13:25:06 »
The Crossbow is not that bad . . . used the ATM one to kill a Executioner D and wreck another heavy before I lost the arms.  At which point it is time to fall back . . . too bad the Fire Moth H which was trying to flank the Falcons through the city skidded into a level 5 building.

One of their designs I love is the Scylla- just wish we knew what the Storm Giant was, and which we had gotten a Scylla like the 1 without JJs.
Colt Ward

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 10 April 2016, 19:26:32 »

The standard variant works at all ranges and between its mobility and firepower it is particularly fearsome against Light mechs and smaller Mediums, but it can take on nearly anything thanks to the mean backstabs it can deliver. Generally I think the answer to a standard Vapor Eagle is another fast pulser. Vapor Eagles don't have thick rear armour either. I crippled one with a Wolverine 7K in a multi-mech furball when my opponent left me a spot to run behind his Vapor Eagle and pulse it up at point blank range. The other option would be long-range weapons with good accuracy on a solid Heavy/Assault platform. Clan large pulse, or ERPPCs/ER large lasers/Gauss/etc tied to a T-Computer. You could try taking advantage of the medium range band advantage of Gauss Rifles, Clan ERLLs and HAGs too, but it's a fine line and only brings parity with the Clan Large Pulse's to-hit bonus anyway. If you're not bound by Zellbrigen then making the Vapor Eagle a priority target and ganging up on it isn't a bad idea.

Variant 2 is basically a brawler. It's clearly not as powerful as the original model but does have a lower BV. Fighting against this mech doesn't require anything special and in fact I'd usually consider it a secondary target.

Variant 3 works in a similar way to the original - a nice mix of weapon ranges with good mobility. Solid generalist, but not as fearsome as the original. It can be dealt with in much the same way as the original, but is less of a priority target IMHO. It'll probably be easier to hit too, because the standard model will nearly always be jumping all over the place without a care, while the lack of pulse on the 3 means players will often want to run instead of jumping so they can get good numbers on their shots.

Variant 4 is another brawler. It has quite a hefty punch if it can land a lot of HE ATMs on someone, but isn't strong at range. In a brawl I'd make it a priority to kill just on the grounds that it packs a lot of firepower but isn't particularly well armoured.

The standard variant is the best one, but I actually prefer the Vapor Eagle 3. I prefer its looks and it's loadout has more style than just being loadsapulse.

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2016, 21:05:24 »
I remember when this Mech was frowned upon in the good old days as it was considered too munchy. Blistering speed, Clan tech pulse lasers AND tarcom?! It was the wet dream of every power player.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2016, 21:16:37 »
Well, play it with Aimed Shots . . .
Colt Ward

Random

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 12 April 2016, 04:50:35 »

And the Viper (Black Python).  Let us not forget that thing.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 12 April 2016, 06:29:15 »
And the Viper (Black Python).  Let us not forget that thing.

With legs like that..who can forget it :s  That's before going into the pulse/TC cheese.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: 14 April 2016, 18:57:50 »
I always found the Gosshawk visually interesting (even if the original art gave it a tiny head)

The Vapor Eagle 3 would be better without the Heavy Medium Lasers but it seems every post Project Phoenix clan mech had a Heavy Lasers slapped on. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2016, 11:02:00 »
even with aimed shots no longer allowing stuff like pulses to benefit.

-3 to hit mods is still pretty nice when facing pesky speedsters that rely more on the to hit mods for protection than armor.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #27 on: 18 April 2016, 09:27:59 »
There is a difference between aimed and called shots . . . aimed shots no longer get the old BMR benefits.  Called shots however do still get that benefit, and it can be a good idea with a vet or elite pilot to go called once you have some hits to explot earlier damage with the pulses- Upper/Lower or Left/Right
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 19 April 2016, 00:31:45 »
Aimed Shots are utterly broken with pulse lasers and a TC.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 19 April 2016, 08:11:00 »
I never really got that attitude considering all they do is pretty much soak the negative modifiers.  I have played against folks who would take as many Warhawk Cs as they could with maybe at best Clan regular pilots and it was so rare that they tried to hit that specific target location . . . I honestly cannot remember it.  They almost always defaulted for the better hit chances, especially against the IS numbers/armor.

Only time I really tried called in a Clan duel set up, blew off the Mad Dog C's gauss rifle arm rather than critting it as I wanted.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #30 on: 19 April 2016, 15:26:52 »
A Clan mech with, say, 6 Medium Pulse Lasers can pretty easily take a side torso off in one round.  Then you get Aimed shots- call high and you're hitting on the punch table.  I saw that happen in precisely one game, where a single pulse-boat succeeded in killing something like 5 enemy mechs because he was shooting them in the head so often.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #31 on: 19 April 2016, 17:56:50 »
Which Clan mech has 6 Med Pulse & a TC?

Called only removes 2 locations from the hit table IIRC.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 19 April 2016, 18:26:58 »
Called only removes two locations, but it also changes the distribution so that you have a 1 in 6 chance of a headshot instead of a 1 in 36.

Register