Author Topic: Why new designs for already existing minis?  (Read 3776 times)

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
Why new designs for already existing minis?
« on: 25 April 2016, 11:37:05 »
Hello, I want to know why we get new Mechs for designs that actually already exist. Like the Wei Lu Bing for the Victor, or the Gauntlet for the Bushwacker. I´m not complaining but I am curious as to what the cause for this is. Is this about licenses expiration?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Why new designs for already existing minis?
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2016, 11:41:32 »
They're technically new mechs from the new TROs set in 3145.

Although that's in truth a punt of an answer.  Why did the designers create new chassis that could have instead been treated as variants of pre-existing chassis?  That's an answer IWM can't provide, though.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2016, 13:01:17 »
Often the designer had something entirely different in mind when a unit is created. The appearance comes from the artist. The Wei was one that was loosely based upon something that was heavier (Emperor?). The Victor like appearance didn't even dawn on someone.

The Gauntlet I think was based upon the Bushwacker. I'm glad it got a different name as it does get very confusing at tiimes when a regular mech and an omni share a name.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2016, 14:24:35 »
Plus the Gauntlet looks freaking awesome, and the Bushwacker mini is... mixed. (assembling those legs, oi...)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2016, 17:17:51 »
It's a way for TPTB to introduce images very similar to the MWO images, and otherwise update others.

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2016, 19:18:34 »
Because its a quick and profitable way to provide a "mwo styling" redesign to older models, while having the double use of being a new design in the dark age era
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2016, 22:39:41 »
Plus the Gauntlet looks freaking awesome, and the Bushwacker mini is... mixed. (assembling those legs, oi...)

It could be worse.  I had a Champion fall apart on me over the weekend.  I forgot how much a pain that assembly is.  I'd much rather I was reassembling a Bushwacker.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 26 April 2016, 10:39:13 »
It's a way for TPTB to introduce images very similar to the MWO images, and otherwise update others.

Because its a quick and profitable way to provide a "mwo styling" redesign to older models, while having the double use of being a new design in the dark age era

Hrmm... that's funny... nether Brent, or Ray (or anyone else at CGL for that matter) ever gave me a directive to
make the Gauntlet (or any other mech) appear to have "MWO" styling. In the case of the Lu Wei-- it is nothing more
than a case of Alex doing what he does best. Naturally the artist for MWO is going to illustrate BT mechs in much the
same fashion. Sorry guys, but there is absolutely no "quick profitable" shadowy scheme at work, here. Just mech fans,
in the passionate pursuit of illustrating machines the community will resonate with. Nothing more, nothing less. Period.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2016, 11:32:40 »
The Wei was one that was loosely based upon something that was heavier (Emperor?).

Yu Huang.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register