Author Topic: [ATOW] Attributes - obsolete?  (Read 8854 times)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: [ATOW] Attributes - obsolete?
« Reply #30 on: 17 June 2011, 11:16:27 »
not a neuralologist here but a computer tech, and a bit of a gamer

as I understand it most games (rpg category) use stats to give relatively concrete references for what is sometimes a somewhat vague issue in "reality"

many games have somewhaer between 6 and 8 "stats" and many seem to use "derived" stats either as part of the core rules or as a supliment often when a "core" stat array seems ... limited or to not fit

many games seem to use a variation on:
strength usually self explanitory raw lifting capability ... sometimes factors into melee damage, and similar  .. a way to distinguish between Arnold, and "Steve Ercle"

dex, ref, agil, physical prowess" etc different names for aspects of coordination and ... grace trying to think of examples and the 1st thing that comes to mind is the girl from "entrapment" for high agil, and marmaduke for low

bld, con (constitution) pe, endurance   all how long you can keep exerting yourself also often refers to how much abuse you can soak up this tends to show the difference between wolverine /arnold and the guy who is out of breath after 20 yards trying to do a 100 yard dash

most games then move on to more mental attributes

int lrn or similar either a measure of how smart the char is, and/or how well they pickup and remember things
bruce banner/professor x/beast on 1 extrememe ... the incredible bulk...(er dumb hulk on the other) there was a reason his catch phrase was "hulk smash"

will me, etc tends to be the mental equivalant of endurance

charisma this one is tricky it usually seems to have both physical and mental aspects to it  it takes into account physical appearance, and also how you come across to others.  on the high end you get angela jolie and other "hot chicks/ studs" on the low end you get the blob/steve ercle again  you also get darth vader in the upper end not because he is attractive but because he is flipping scary and you do NOT want him mad at you.

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #31 on: 17 June 2011, 11:33:02 »
charisma this one is tricky it usually seems to have both physical and mental aspects to it  it takes into account physical appearance, and also how you come across to others.  on the high end you get angela jolie and other "hot chicks/ studs" on the low end you get the blob/steve ercle again  you also get darth vader in the upper end not because he is attractive but because he is flipping scary and you do NOT want him mad at you.

Many if not most modern systems (including ATOW) have decoupled physical apperance from the Charisma stat since CHA is a measure of force of personality.  Attractiveness can boost the effects of CHA, but it isn't inherently part of it.  Many of history's most charasmatic leaders were of average or worse apperance frex. Churchhill and Hitler.

-Jackmc 

Phacade

• Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 21 June 2011, 20:14:33 »
So it does seem like attributes help, but only just. The thing is you could dump an extra 300 in any one attribute and it wouldn't help anything (except in a general check).

Overall I'm liking it, and I didn't think I would. The traits does make a nice counterbalance, although it seems to make a genuine heroic character, they gotta be severely messed up...but I suppose this isn't different than any other hero...just look at Batman.
I mock your Cheese Danish and all it stands for!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #33 on: 21 June 2011, 22:03:15 »
Oh yes.

The module system can get particularly nasty versus point build only.

Register