Author Topic: New MW5 trailer  (Read 6640 times)

JarheadEd

• Private
New MW5 trailer
« on: 02 December 2018, 00:03:19 »
 https://youtu.be/vCXcFJBb6BM

That Thunderbolt running through the building.   Hnnnnnnggg!
JarheadEd: The "Official, all in one, Laser Magnet and Missile Sponge, "

Luciora

• Major
Re: New MW5 trailer
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2018, 00:13:08 »
Should be interesting,  especially the limited co-op ability for story.

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2018, 00:20:46 »
Did I just saw... the Marauder?! :D
« Last Edit: 02 December 2018, 00:28:08 by SapphireWolf »

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2018, 00:46:30 »
Did I just saw... the Marauder?! :D

And Warhammer behind the King Crab too...

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2018, 06:50:46 »
Well still can't wait to get this... But that one pilot... How stupid can you be to blow up a fuel depot with you right next to it!?!?! lol

This begs the question though... when will HBS add the Warhammer and Marauder to BT??

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2018, 07:38:22 »
Well still can't wait to get this... But that one pilot... How stupid can you be to blow up a fuel depot with you right next to it!?!?! lol

This begs the question though... when will HBS add the Warhammer and Marauder to BT??

Different games, different studios...

On the whole, this game looks like it's going to be everything I wanted it to be, so I'm cautiously happy. :)

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2018, 10:15:43 »

Hopefully we will see something during the HBS presentation for today's Mech Con.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2018, 11:00:06 »
But same art assets.  I'm more interested in seeing what other designs HBS will add, outside of MWOs stable, like how the Hatchetman was added.

Different games, different studios...

On the whole, this game looks like it's going to be everything I wanted it to be, so I'm cautiously happy. :)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2018, 11:00:58 »
The Raven/light Mech looked like it's CG was constantly behind its legs rather than throwing itself into a real running gait, like it was doing a super speedwalk.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2018, 15:21:53 »
need....new...computer..... xp
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2018, 15:28:55 »
Holy crap that is awesome.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2018, 15:51:42 »
Another Succession Wars-era game. Yawn and hard pass.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2018, 16:13:26 »
need....new...computer..... xp

I normally upgrade for the recommended specs for new game, MW5 was my next game. Guess I'll have to nurse my current machine a little longer than I expected...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2018, 17:06:51 »
Well, my computer been having issues booting to bios lately. After dozen try it kicks on.  (sigh)

I can't imagine how it's going handle MW5.  MWO runs ok on my 2009 desktop.  :-X
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2018, 18:10:56 »
https://youtu.be/vCXcFJBb6BM

That Thunderbolt running through the building.   Hnnnnnnggg!

I thought that looked ridiculous and was immersion breaking for me. 

Like it was a fake "Hollywood" building, hollow and filled with stunt debris...didn't even slow the T-bolt down.

Still, the fact that it has 4-person coop should make it fun.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

JarheadEd

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 02 December 2018, 19:04:03 »
I thought that looked ridiculous and was immersion breaking for me. 

Like it was a fake "Hollywood" building, hollow and filled with stunt debris...didn't even slow the T-bolt down.

Still, the fact that it has 4-person coop should make it fun.

Concur on the COOP aspect.

Yeah, I get you. What was probably supposed to be a ferrocrete apartment complex got mowed over like a Gilligan's Island straw hut, but to me, still less immersion breaking than MWO's impenetrable architecture. Once this comes out hopefully buildings will have attributes suitable to their construction appearance.

JarheadEd

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2018, 21:55:40 »
https://youtu.be/XUM3jx0ob40

20 minutes of play time

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2018, 23:45:32 »

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-warhammer-and-the-marauder-will-eventually-show-up-in-battletech-but-not-in-urban-warfare.1132922/
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #18 on: 03 December 2018, 10:23:41 »
Having had the opportunity to play this in the Pods Early Saturday AM before the doors opened (ah the sweet, sweet life of being a CGL Slave and being in at Noon to setup), yes the Are unseen/nuseen/reseen what ever we wish to call them, and ear lord YES is this a sweet game, with the RUMBLE seat, when the enemy dropships swoop in, dear LORD what an awesome experience.

I cannot wait for next year! So much Battletech Goodness for the 35 Anniversary!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #19 on: 03 December 2018, 10:35:54 »
Once this comes out hopefully buildings will have attributes suitable to their construction appearance.
I hope so, and not just buildings. Trees should slow them down a bit, buildings should slow them and shake them up.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 03 December 2018, 10:40:50 »
I hope so, and not just buildings. Trees should slow them down a bit, buildings should slow them and shake them up.

I was speaking with the lead Developer at Mech-Con, and apparently yes, the buildings will have some resistance to them based in part on your mass and speed if I remember correctly. For the demo at Mech-Con they reduced this for simplicity and fun factor.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 03 December 2018, 11:08:10 »
Still waiting for the HBS announcement of the P-hawk, Rifleman, Archer and Longbow.  The Stinger and Wasp i'm not too concerned about, as there are enough 20 tonners in the game, although the Valkerie would be nice.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 03 December 2018, 12:00:55 »
Mechs all move too fast, and destructible assets look too fragile. Kinda disappointed. Hope co-op is good.

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 03 December 2018, 14:38:51 »
https://youtu.be/XUM3jx0ob40

20 minutes of play time

Also interesting to note that the unit you are playing is the same unit mentioned in the MWO fluff for the new Corsair 'Mech.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 03 December 2018, 18:15:10 »
I was speaking with the lead Developer at Mech-Con, and apparently yes, the buildings will have some resistance to them based in part on your mass and speed if I remember correctly. For the demo at Mech-Con they reduced this for simplicity and fun factor.
That is good to hear, for the buildings anyway. I hope everything that costs additional MP in the board game is treated similar. I look forward to seeing some "real" gameplay in the future.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #25 on: 03 December 2018, 21:54:33 »
This is what I was hoping Mechwarrior Online was gonna be when it was first announced.  Will most likely wait to see first reviews before purchasing though.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #26 on: 03 December 2018, 23:00:42 »
After watching the 20-minute video. It made me think this was more suited as a Interactive Arcade thing like the old Battletech center.

Heck, no one going be able have (without some money and some inventiveness) make those controls work for the game they were playing.

I didn't think the Mechs move too fast, in comparison how insanely fast Light Mechs are, how devastating they are in MWO with those annoying machine guns.

Some people commented on the video that's was low quality is what they were showing.  As someone who grew up playing this stuff since MW1, Crescent Hawks Inception. I think this was good and balanced.  Game needs to be perhaps little more fast pace.  I'm just happy they have fixed variants and not ubber customs you see on MWO making the mechs just things walking with broad choice weapons, losing mech's characteristics that made them unique.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #27 on: 05 December 2018, 09:50:15 »
PGI continues to show it doesn't grasp the physics of 'Mech combat (or physics at all?).

Buildings that crumple like paper, vehicles that seem to exist only for the player to stomp on (did they do ANY damage to the player?), light 'Mechs the size of battle suits, everything moves too fast and shoots too often. Nothing seems to have any mass or inertia, there is no sense of scale, as though the player were on foot running around a miniature film set instead of being in the cockpit of a thudding, shaking robot. MW2 managed this with shaded, mostly untextured polygons and flat planes for terrain, how are they screwing it up with all that modern eye candy?

Heat management seems nearly inconsequential (he shuts down one or two times in the whole 20 minutes, with a 3025 T-bolt in the midst of a raging firefight?). Enemies barely seemed to be doing any damage, vid shows a Marauder discharging both PPCs into the player's leg a few times and the paperdoll doesn't even noticeably change color. Computer voice is obnoxious, it makes a lot of noise without contributing any useful information. ("Enemy targeted" is hardly necessary when you have a big red blinking icon on the screen, don't treat the player like they have the wits of a particularly slow cocker spaniel!)

I don't see any evidence of systems management or even a need for basic strategy. It's just point and shoot-shoot-shoot until the map runs out of explodable things to explode.

It's much of the same stale MechQuake crap that MWO has turned into with a better coat of paint. Worse, it's first-person MechAssault. It looks nice, but so does every other modern game which isn't deliberately pixel art. Looks to be all style no substance.

I seriously hope neither the music nor the voiceovers are anything close to the final product. The actors sound like they're phoning it in and the generic rock music sounds like it came from a royalty-free sample page.

What little they showed of the story sounds tedious and cliché, hopefully it's a work in progress.

I'll admit, this is how I feel about PGI at this point, but every time they release more info on MW5 it sparks a tiny bit more hope just so it can be crushed by seeing what is actually being delivered.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 05 December 2018, 10:03:52 »
PGI continues to show it doesn't grasp the physics of 'Mech combat (or physics at all?).

Buildings that crumple like paper, vehicles that seem to exist only for the player to stomp on (did they do ANY damage to the player?), light 'Mechs the size of battle suits, everything moves too fast and shoots too often. Nothing seems to have any mass or inertia, there is no sense of scale, as though the player were on foot running around a miniature film set instead of being in the cockpit of a thudding, shaking robot. MW2 managed this with shaded, mostly untextured polygons and flat planes for terrain, how are they screwing it up with all that modern eye candy?

Heat management seems nearly inconsequential (he shuts down one or two times in the whole 20 minutes, with a 3025 T-bolt in the midst of a raging firefight?). Enemies barely seemed to be doing any damage, vid shows a Marauder discharging both PPCs into the player's leg a few times and the paperdoll doesn't even noticeably change color. Computer voice is obnoxious, it makes a lot of noise without contributing any useful information. ("Enemy targeted" is hardly necessary when you have a big red blinking icon on the screen, don't treat the player like they have the wits of a particularly slow cocker spaniel!)

I don't see any evidence of systems management or even a need for basic strategy. It's just point and shoot-shoot-shoot until the map runs out of explodable things to explode.

It's much of the same stale MechQuake crap that MWO has turned into with a better coat of paint. Worse, it's first-person MechAssault. It looks nice, but so does every other modern game which isn't deliberately pixel art. Looks to be all style no substance.

I seriously hope neither the music nor the voiceovers are anything close to the final product. The actors sound like they're phoning it in and the generic rock music sounds like it came from a royalty-free sample page.

What little they showed of the story sounds tedious and cliché, hopefully it's a work in progress.

I'll admit, this is how I feel about PGI at this point, but every time they release more info on MW5 it sparks a tiny bit more hope just so it can be crushed by seeing what is actually being delivered.

The Physics were simplified for the Demo Event to make it fun for attendees I was told by the Lead Developer.

As for heat...let me tell you right now, if they weren;t shutting down that often for you, it's not because heat was wonky, but likely because THEY have been playing it a lot more than us. I did the DemoPod with a Stalker, and I spent a lot of time 'Shut Down'.

Now let me ask you, if you were developing a new game and wanted to show it off and let people have some fun, are you gonna make them play on INSANITY MODE, or are you going to turn everything down to LETS JUST HAVE FUN mode so they can blast about? Hmmm... Which is better, load in, drop and die to a head shot within 5 minutes. Sorry Sir, you died, hope you had fun, exit this way please...NEXT! or, drop and run amuck and finish the mission with a similar experience to everybody else.

I played the demo last Year as well, when I couldn;t really call it early Alpha, the mechs had unlimited ammo, and the AI was even dumber (tanks drove right off cliffs), and in that demo I was eventually killed in an Atlas.

Look, I get it, we all want to have fun and we want the game to be the best, but can we stop the "It Looks like crap, they don;t know what they are doing, Game play looks stoopid' comments based off a 'scripted' run event for the masses.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #29 on: 05 December 2018, 15:04:16 »
Look, I get it, we all want to have fun and we want the game to be the best, but can we stop the "It Looks like crap, they don;t know what they are doing, Game play looks stoopid' comments based off a 'scripted' run event for the masses.
This. The game looks amazingly playable for a company of PGI's scale, especially considering it's still nine months out, but people really, REALLY insist about being petulant children about this.

Like, I understand PGI's been a bunch of idiots, but still, not everything they do is deep-fried crap. The game's never going to be a triple A title NINE months before release.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 15:06:31 by Caedis Animus »

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #30 on: 05 December 2018, 19:17:19 »
Played MWO since beta. Played every other MW title. I'm not trying to intentionally be a downer. Just honest. Sorry if I disappointed you guys.
Like I said; I do hope co-op is worthwhile. Just... have my reservations at this point.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #31 on: 06 December 2018, 15:13:04 »
Played MWO since beta. Played every other MW title. I'm not trying to intentionally be a downer. Just honest. Sorry if I disappointed you guys.
Like I said; I do hope co-op is worthwhile. Just... have my reservations at this point.

Don’t apologize to anyone for expressing your opinion. Contrary to what you were admonished for, you didn’t just post “this looks stupid”, but gave a lengthy, thought-out critique that was full of specifics. These forums are for discussion, not for groupthink, and certainly not for calling other posters “petulant children” for daring to have a negative opinion about something that was put out specifically FOR people to formulate opinions about.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2018, 15:14:42 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 07 December 2018, 05:41:53 »
Those voice actors are genuinely terrible, rest looks cool though :)

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #33 on: 07 December 2018, 06:56:25 »
The biggest problem I had was the mech computer talking over the person on comms.

Other then that I thought it looked good.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: 07 December 2018, 07:18:41 »
As long is fun and replayable. Im not expecting alot from them. Software company budget for projects get effect by things. There saving money using an existing engine for the game.
Part me expects MWO be upgrade once MW5 comes out.

I still think Living Legends is better MW game overall in comparison.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 07 December 2018, 18:45:41 »
Few games use a brand new engine. Most just license whatever is offered on the market or update older engines. It is rare to see a company build a game from scratch these days. Takes longer and costs a lot more over the long haul. Besides, the Unreal engine is still far better than Crytek.

JarheadEd

• Private
« Reply #36 on: 31 December 2018, 16:44:48 »
Environment tech demo.

https://youtu.be/OxMIJarNZDA

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 01 January 2019, 16:37:37 »
Glad i got new computer for xmas. this thing looks like it going be need alot horse power to run.

I still want laugh at King Crab being standard 3025ish mech, even with the retro-con of it extinction, there was suppose to be handful (what like dozen in entire inner sphere?) those things left.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 02 January 2019, 13:15:09 »
Glad i got new computer for xmas. this thing looks like it going be need alot horse power to run.

I still want laugh at King Crab being standard 3025ish mech, even with the retro-con of it extinction, there was suppose to be handful (what like dozen in entire inner sphere?) those things left.
I mean, there's only one ever seen in the trailers, IIRC.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #39 on: 02 January 2019, 21:33:06 »
King Crab does appear on the nominal cover for the game shown at MechCon too, so it seems its the new poster 'Mech.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 02 January 2019, 21:55:05 »
Just like the abundant Star League 'Mechs in the HBS game. They go for the rule of cool, not really anything to do with canon.

King Crab does appear on the nominal cover for the game shown at MechCon too, so it seems its the new poster 'Mech.
Alex Iglesias did a seriously kick-ass version of it. I'd use it on the cover as well. See also, rule of cool.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 02 January 2019, 22:02:26 »
True. I am slightly confused as to why they switched away from the Iconic Atlas, however.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 02 January 2019, 23:32:59 »
Atlas is probably overexposed, and the King Crab is the only other 100 tonner available outside of the so-called rare Wolf's Dragoons Marauder II, Annihilator and Imp.  The Devastator is the only other 100 tonner available for 3025, and and that was a retcon with the King Crab.  Arguably, the King Crab is the new assault icon because of MWO. 

True. I am slightly confused as to why they switched away from the Iconic Atlas, however.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2019, 23:36:12 by Luciora »

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 05 January 2019, 16:41:53 »
Just like the abundant Star League 'Mechs in the HBS game. They go for the rule of cool, not really anything to do with canon.

As I recall, they were limited in their selection to whatever MWO had produced art for, along with a lot of iconic 3025 mechs being off the table for legal reasons. So they filled in with stuff that was rare or slightly out of timeline or what have you.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 05 January 2019, 19:27:21 »
There healthy amount of 3025 unseen/classic/reimaged in MWO. technically more 3025 era stuff than CGL can field i think.

Phoenix Hawk
Shadow Hawk
Marauder
Warhammer
Locust
Archer
Thunderbolt

off the top my head.  I think we will have enough i guess since PGI won their fight.