Author Topic: Jumpship travel time calculators?  (Read 4271 times)

Korzon77

• Captain
Jumpship travel time calculators?
« on: 06 April 2018, 21:52:44 »
ARe there any distance calculators out there to get a rough estimate of how long it would take a jumpship to say, go from Terra to Wynn's Roost?

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Jumpship travel time calculators?
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2018, 22:09:57 »
ARe there any distance calculators out there to get a rough estimate of how long it would take a jumpship to say, go from Terra to Wynn's Roost?

You can use the map in MekHQ to plot the jumps.
https://megamek.org/mekhq

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Carlson793

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2018, 22:29:46 »
Online, there's The Inner Sphere 3025.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2018, 23:34:55 »
I know it's kind of spit-balling, but I tend to use a typical jump of 20-23 ly when looking at straight-line distances to see how many jumps there are.  Then use 1 week recharge times.  This is my way of making sure they jump to stars they get the best charge times out of.

If I'm not as worried about quick recharge times, then I'll up the typical jump to 25-27 ly, but increase the recharge time to 9 days.  This makes for a more straight jump line, but you end up paying in the recharge quality of the stars you jump to.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2018, 14:19:58 »
I know it's kind of spit-balling, but I tend to use a typical jump of 20-23 ly when looking at straight-line distances to see how many jumps there are.  Then use 1 week recharge times.  This is my way of making sure they jump to stars they get the best charge times out of.

If I'm not as worried about quick recharge times, then I'll up the typical jump to 25-27 ly, but increase the recharge time to 9 days.  This makes for a more straight jump line, but you end up paying in the recharge quality of the stars you jump to.

Comparing the math, the first averages to 21.5 ly for 7 days,and the second is 26 ly over 9 days.

Per day, the first method averages 3.071 ly/day, while the second is 2.889.

The fun part is you re doing it as single hops, rather than steady time.  For example, a location 60-69 ly away will take you 21 days with the first method, but 27 days with the second method.  I'm sure the players have made a similar chart where they calculate distances where one travel method is faster than the other.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2018, 20:40:57 »
It also allows for the use of the quick-charge rules in a way that doesn't cause them a failure chance.  I would also use the incentive that if they actually plot out the systems they jump to, they are likely to be able to speed things up considerably.

But most of this is hypothetical, I mostly just work on fluff anymore and haven't actually rolled dice for BattleTech in years.

kanecharles

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2024, 06:44:38 »
Their method of calculating jump ship travel time is based on the average jump distance and corresponding recharge time to ensure they jump to the stars with the best recharge times. If they weren't too concerned about fast reload times, they would increase the average jump distance but increase the reload time to get a straighter jump line, although it would be at the cost of the quality of their stars' reload times. jump to.
Manage your works effectively with time calculator.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2024, 07:52:53 »
Recharge times are only one part of it. And they can vary significantly.
Jump distance, as has been pointed out, doesn’t always reach the full 30 ly per jump.
Travel to and from planets is another - there are worlds out there with a regular 1g travel time of six weeks from the standard jump points.
Sail deployment time is also frequently overlooked.
And then there’s the myriad of small things that can go wrong.

And we’re not even factoring in yet whether you’re sticking with a single JumpShip or if you’re switching to another jumper a few times.

Generally, my suggestion would be to divide your expected travel time by 5 and then multiply the result by 2d6.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2024, 20:40:13 »
That's probably remarkably accurate! :)