Author Topic: [OOG] Sword and Dragon  (Read 21728 times)

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
  • prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
Re: [OOG] Sword and Dragon
« Reply #90 on: 29 June 2015, 10:27:55 »
I am not sure that there should be negative consequences. In this case, it ends the track, but in case of other game, jumping off takes out the mech from rest of the game.

like in my secondary goal there are instructions that define which side is important for the goal.

one more thing, while the scenario suggest using lance cohesion (meaning using full lances) there are situation where they ask for more or less then four mechs. in that case there is no strict rule on which mechs can be mixed. (unless I read it wrong)

re side note:
I've checked the rules on that, and IMO, since you hadn't double the numer of my mechs, you move one mech. You'll move two in the last round.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #91 on: 29 June 2015, 11:55:58 »
I am not sure that there should be negative consequences. In this case, it ends the track, but in case of other game, jumping off takes out the mech from rest of the game.

like in my secondary goal there are instructions that define which side is important for the goal.

I guess I am looking at it from different perspective or way out of scope.

If you jump off map you place the Whitworth safely out of game. This is a benefit to you in my opinion as you don't lose the mech or the pilot. You would still have to pay for the repairs though.

If you don't jump off map, you can try to linger on till you can get an initiative edge and scan the Assassin. This is also a benefit to you. I guess you could wager in possible severe mech damage or destruction so this could cost more than its worth. This is more of luck of the draw for both parties here.

re side note:
I've checked the rules on that, and IMO, since you hadn't double the numer of my mechs, you move one mech. You'll move two in the last round.

So you mean move order is

A - 1, D - 1, A - 1, D - 2

or

A - 1, D - 2, A -1

I thought in the end turn both opponents only ever move one mech each. I might be learning someting here.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #92 on: 30 June 2015, 03:31:44 »
easier part first:
TW. pg. 39

If, prior to any pair of movement or attack declarations, one
team has at least twice as many units left to declare for as the
other team, the team with twice as many units declares for
two units rather than one.

meaning, in our case
RoundAttacker UnitsDefender UnitsAttacker MovesDefender Moves
123 - doesn't have double the units11
212 - does have double the units12
In each round we move as dictated by initiative, so:
A 1 D 1 -> A 1 D2

that means I move now, but the move depend on our discussion.

now the other part
Whitworth is undamaged (that can change, but it's not going to be crippled barring some lucky shots) if he gets damaged (most probable outcome) I'll need to pay 30 WP to repair him, if you cripple him it'll be 45 WP. I need three round to escape via attacker side with +3/+4 defense.
Mongoose can escape in two rounds with even higher defense. It already need 15 WP repair, and quite possibly can get into 30 WP for crippled status. though it usually have some +4/+5 defense.

I'll get 75 WP for achieving the primary goal. So it is worthy to roll around even at the cost of 60 WP.

catching that assassin is unlikely, but possible. chasing him however when all depend more on a roll than on tactic is not very interesting. So I'll opt for retreat and we can play next track.

Now. I truly think, that we should follow the rules I quoted - there are no penalty for illegal moves to mechs regarding further tracks. Becoming lost is an issue for current track, without further consequences. I might agree on disabling the mech for next track limiting my options for next track on choosing the mechs, but anything above that is unnecessarily harsh IMO.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #93 on: 30 June 2015, 13:38:19 »
Good on moving explanation.

I think you are okay on Whitworth jumping off map as long as you are true in abandoning the primary objective correct. This would mean Whitworth and Mongoose escape off map with minimal damage bare luck rolls.

I agree I do like strategy over luck rolls. Sometimes these optional objectives are making it feel like all I am doing is waiting for the lucky roll. Or the roller hates me, lol.

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #94 on: 30 June 2015, 14:01:04 »
ok, that settles it.
we agree on whitworth and mongoose unavailable for next mission due to being lost.
I'll gather our agreements for future reference in the warchest thread.

as for abandoning the goal, if you move within four hexes to whitworth, that would make me exceptionally happy. :)

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #95 on: 30 June 2015, 14:44:39 »
Note I don't have my map files with me so I'll make my moves later today. Now that the Mongoose is removed I may just walk the Grasshopper to you and keep the Assassin far away with defense so you don't get some lucky leg removing hits.

Combat will be something or nothing depending if I miss you, damage you, or damage you and knock you down. Highly doubt it will amount to anything useful for me at this point.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2015, 17:57:49 by hive_angel »

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #96 on: 03 July 2015, 15:53:54 »
I guess, that's it.
14 damage on the exit, but the Worthless will jump off next turn, so no point in rolling further.

I'll make summary in the warchest thread, along with some intermission repairs.

Next track will be from your perspective. Which one you're gonna play?

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #97 on: 06 July 2015, 08:17:20 »
Next track will be from your perspective. Which one you're gonna play?

Are you saying we should swap forces and tracks? Example I play as the Fox's Teeth and and start a new track with 100 points as you started with?

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #98 on: 07 July 2015, 03:31:47 »
Yes

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #99 on: 07 July 2015, 08:17:42 »
Examining the first two missions it is far better to attempt the Recon mission first prior to the Supply Run mission for the -2 defender force modifier. To go with the idea of switching view points I feel it is best to conduct a Recon mission and I'll command the Fox's Teeth using the recon lance.

One question concerning the Supply Run mission. To apply the -2 defender force modifier, it states a successful Recon mission just have been completed prior to this mission. Is it refering to A) just running through the scenario or B) actually achieving the primary objective, I would assume the latter.

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #100 on: 13 July 2015, 09:30:34 »
Sorry for the delay. Had some RL issues that had been sorter out and planning of vaction that had been done, but the vacation is incoming so there I'll be on and off during next six weeks.

anyway, referring to your question, yes I think that achieving secondary goal should not be sufficient for success in Supply Run.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #101 on: 13 July 2015, 10:36:01 »
Then lets go with the Fox's Teeth point of view. I believe you will need to make a roll terrain type, a roll for mapsheets, and for forces. I need to choose forces, but the Recon lance is pretty obvious.

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: 13 July 2015, 10:37:17 »
Do we use same RS thread for new game or new thread so the other one goes away to avoid confusion and less scroll down. I can help create them as I can copy the formatting and fill in the rest.

sentinemodo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #103 on: 13 July 2015, 10:51:13 »
we stay with the same OOG and Warschest threads. We create new IG, RS threads.

creating the warchest right now

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #104 on: 13 July 2015, 11:48:29 »
I figure turn both options on. Giving you 6/6 to work with is kind of lol. Then again the next scenario or two can make one player have 7/7 which is kind of silly. I feel all one side will do is move and look for lame lucky shots, but lets see how it goes. This might change after you read second and third thought.

We should go by order of the book it says to drop the mapsheets first, then attacker generates forces and then defender generates forces. Then it mentions to turn on the options or not. This makes sense if we generate a city map, mehcs will be falling a lot.

The first game I randomly generated the maps using page 263 on TW, look at first page of this thread for the rolls. I kicked out the city map and used desert hills twice so you can do the same. Say randomize the first two rolls for terrain 2d6 and terrain type 1d6, and then pick one yourself from the last roll in case one sucks.

Since the book randomizes all the forces might as well randomize the terrain. At least for this scenario.

Register