Author Topic: Motley's Marauders: Coventry Counterstrike  (Read 2230 times)

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
Motley's Marauders: Coventry Counterstrike
« on: 16 January 2020, 11:41:37 »
After their narrow victory over WoB forces in the skirmish at the bombed out Coventry Metal Works site, Beta Company withdrew from the battle site and set to work decontaminating their Mechs, salvage and personnel and preparing for the trip home. They had a couple of wounded pilots that required more than field hospital levels of treatment, so they pulled back to a nearby town with a fully functioning hospital. There they were approached by members of a resistance movement, mostly former Militia troops or academy cadre, who were anxious for some payback against the Blakists, but were too weak to do it alone. They convinced the Beta Company CO to team up and go headhunting. This was very risky, as the company was down to only 5 functional Mechs, but the resistance promised 100% salvage rights on anything the Marauders brought down, so the deal was sealed.

The tiny task force set off toward the last known Blakist position and met the WoBs head on coming the other way. It seemed the Blakies heard a few of their captured pilots were recovering in the hospital and were on their way to make sure those pilots never left Coventry, and they were prepared to level the hospital to do it. Thankfully, they were intercepted along the road and the battle was joined.

Coventry resistance armor rolls forward past a giant Chick-Fil-A cup for some reason.
Wob armor and Longinus battlearmor advances.
Beta Co. Mechs grab the high ground...
...and rush forward to take cover behind a damaged highway overpass.
WoB Command Level II
Rifleman goes down under concentrated fire.
Puma gets pummeled.

The action developed quickly. Both sides sought what cover was available. The resistance task force had 2 Maxims loaded with a squad each of battlearmor, which they deployed in sparse woods to counter the Blakist Longinus push. The Maxims provided fire support for the outmatched squads.

The resistance Mechs concentrated their fire, first on the Rifleman and then on the Initiate, neither of which lasted very long. A Blakist Puma tank targeted the resistance Commando and obliterated it in one shot. The Blakists had a couple of turns of exceptionally bad rolling where they either failed to hit or failed to do any damage. The Marauder/resistance rolling was more consistent, despite a somewhat lower skill set, and they eventually put all the bad guys down for the count. A couple of Marauder Mechs were badly damaged but managed to withdraw successfully. The highlight of the game for the WoBs was resistance commander Bill underestimating the movement of the Longinus', and leaving his Maxims close enough for the battlesuits to execute an anti-Mech/vehicle attack. Both attacks hit and both crit rolls were successful, leaving one hover immobilized with a knocked out weapon while the other was blown up instantly.

Unfortunately, I didn't get too many pics. Hopefully Indy, who was commanding Beta, will add some of his.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: Motley's Marauders: Coventry Counterstrike
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2020, 01:16:47 »
Thank you again for another episode! :thumbsup: 8)  I'll be looking forward to the next one.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2020, 15:05:15 »
With 100% salvage what did the Marauder's net?  Recruit any of the resistance pilots to fight the Blakists?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2020, 08:44:39 »
They got most of the Mechs since they were responsible for the kill shots. We made the rolls to determine if they were salvageable or not and I know a few of them could be repaired but I don't remember which ones. I'm pretty sure they got the King Crab, though. They would not be able to recruit any of the resistance fighters. Those guys will remain on Coventry and continue to try and rebuild.

LegoMech

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2020, 17:42:40 »
I love these reports! Thanks for sharing!

Register