Author Topic: suggestions for tanks and other vehicles?  (Read 4108 times)

zreef

• Recruit
suggestions for tanks and other vehicles?
« on: 30 October 2020, 17:42:32 »
Usually we play mech on mech, but I wanted to get some more units to bring to the table, especially for fun campaigns.  Assuming we play 3039-3050ish what would be on your "fun additions" list besides mechs?

Slight preference to newer Iron Wind Metals sculpts. 

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: suggestions for tanks and other vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2020, 20:00:05 »
Hunter Light Support Tanks or LRM carriers.

From the early SL, they offer cheap, effective support from a single 20-pack to two 15-packs in 3054.  They're cheap enough to take in Lances and can hurt the opponent enough to force him to attack them first, or the damage will just add up.

Pick a poor-mobility map, isolate them, leave a guard like an SRM carrier, and use indirect fire.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

zreef

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2020, 20:05:49 »
thank you!  I was eyeing a few LRM carriers and and SRM carrier pack

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2020, 20:16:16 »
Thing to remember about the carriers is that they explode if you sneeze on them.

Also check out

Harasser
Pegasus
Striker
Goblin
Bulldog
Manticore
Patton/Rommel
Saracen/scimitar/Saladin
Schrek
Demolisher 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2020, 20:58:43 »
Usually we play mech on mech, but I wanted to get some more units to bring to the table, especially for fun campaigns.  Assuming we play 3039-3050ish what would be on your "fun additions" list besides mechs?

Slight preference to newer Iron Wind Metals sculpts.

Shorter List:

Manticore
Striker
Harasser
Condor
Maxim

for tech-level but not necessarily correct for your period;

Myrmidon

rolling back to 3025:

Warrior H-7 (TRO 3026 version, not the gimped one from TRO 3039).

Pinto

Marten (with infernos)
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2020, 22:53:52 »
I was eyeing a few LRM carriers

Partisan LRM and Ontos LRM offer the same offensive capability with more armor.

and and SRM carrier pack

Slightly faster and better armored, the Hetzer SRM is a good alternative in the urban ambush role.  Pegasus Missile and Drillson SRM also offer big SRM volleys with the speed to get them in range in open terrain.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2020, 00:52:14 »
1. Hunter - LRM10 and 15 versions are fun as is, and with slight mods, you can makes something very special.
2. Prowler - The LRM 15 version is a fantastic IFV. Again, very moddable.
3. Brutus - The two PPC variants are Gems.
4. Saracen - The LRM 15 variant is a great deal. Then the Early clan invasion variant is one of the best Tag/Narc units.
5. Manticore - Super well rounded MBT.
6. Rommel - The Gauss variant is one of the best thought out MBTs.
7. Demolisher. Again, the twin Gauss version is awesome, and going into the Future, the MRM and Arrow versions are nasty.
8. Condor - Liao version.
9. Vedette - Liao Version - If you pair down the ungodly 2 tons MG ammo bay for another MG and one ton of armour you have something dirt cheap that moves at 86 KPH, carries two MLs , two MGs, can go into light woods, and can survive a really surprising amount of damage.
10. J. Edgar.
11. Drillson - Fast, good armor. Well armed.
12. Saladin - For cheap you can buy a lance and put 4 fast moving AC20 on the board.
13. Ballista - Fantastic way to get a Sniper Arty piece on the board. Three ton of ammo for alternative munitions.
14. Flat Bed Truck Mech Mortar - For a looong time it is the only Cannon way to get a mech mortar on the board.
15. If you can fluff that you bought some from a Liao storage Depot, the Korvin is a wonderfully well rounded tank.
16. Goblin - Lots of great variants. I like the MG variant with the SRM6 launcher, gobs of MGs and a huge Infantry bay.
17. Scorpion - Lots of good variants actually, and that means you can create some interesting scenarios.
18. Maxim - arguably the best IFV of  the 3025ish period.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2020, 16:43:24 by pat_hdx »

whistler

• Lieutenant
  • We can out-maneuver /most/ fortifications
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2020, 02:25:39 »
I dont really think any of the tanks from that time frame are going to have 'newer' sculpts. Most of the units that come to mind have been in my mini collections for at least 20 years.

That being said, I feel like I can offer you a few solid options based on years of experience. Without additional parameters I can't refine my response, but I can guarantee these tanks are fun to run and can lead to some real memorable moments at the table. Though they are all capable units they tend to have their own specialty or role in which the excel.

Pegasus: My usual go-to fast attack platform. Cheap, zippy, well armored, and loaded with plenty of SRMs. Great for rushing objectives and artillery or worrying your enemy's flank. A pack of these guys can change the flow of a battle. They are a great general combat unit or emergency stop-gap when you get caught flat footed.
Demolisher: Heavily armed and armored, when you really need to drop the hammer on somebody accept no substitutes. The Demolisher really lives up to its name; this monster's duel AC/20s can gut a mech in one shot. Watch and laugh as enemies try to figure out how to deal with one in a city or built up terrain. Just keep an eye out for artillery.
Schrek PPC Carrier: Delicate but dangerous, the Schrek is a perfect example of the Glass Cannon. Three PPCs make for impressive firepower, and its a lot cheaper than an Awesome. However, its just as slow as an Awesome and far, far easier to kill. Because of that the Schrek is always a priority target. However, if you have cover or other units that you can force the enemy to deal with first, this tank can rain death from long range all day long. Just remember that it is an 80 ton tank with the armor of a 35 ton hovercraft. Plan accordingly.
SRM/LRM Carriers: The missile version of the Schrek. After encountering an SRM Carrier in a city you will always consider them high priority targets. Entrenched LRM carriers are absolutely deadly. All that said, they tend of work best as ambush units that you can afford to lose.
Drillson: The Pegasus Plus. It is the Pegasus but more in every regard. Faster, at 9/14, more heavily armored, and sporting a more diverse armament geared for long to mid-range combat. These tanks will absolutely wreck you if you are not careful. The consummate Blitzkrieg hovercraft, in my humble opinion. The main downside is that hovortanks work best in packs, to compensate for their fragility. The Drillson costs not quite twice as much as the Pegasus to deploy so they can be a big commitment. But when you need to stretch someone's force and break on through, the Drillson is hard to beat.
Manticore: The Manticore's shtick is simply being such a damn good option for pretty much anything. Its the Thunderbolt of tanks, which is my way of saying that it is an ideal tank for any situation. This puppy's got a PPC and LRM10 for ranged fighting and an SRM6 and Medium Laser for when things get up close and personal. Its speed is average but its hide is very, very thick. A true jack of all trades.

Also, while its a much more modern unit, I have to tell you about my favorite Inner Sphere tank. It's not fast. It isn't flashy. It's firepower is respectable but not outstanding. 'So what is it's angle?', I hear you asking. It is the fact that, for most opponents, it feels like nothing short of an orbital strike will slow the damn thing down.  Its the 50 ton trooper that punches far, far above its weight; a tank that is cheap to deploy and easy to wield in battle. I speak of the Schildkröte Line Tank, the shortstack of the Lyran Armored Corps.

But seriously its pretty great in CBT and Alpha Strike. There is no official mini yet (which is criminal after all these years if you ask me) but you can sub in any generic tank for these bad boys and go to town.

Would you like to know more?

Not only is it more heavily armored than a Demolisher, the Skröte mounts an AMS and an armored motive system. It plods along at 3/5,  sure, but they simply don't die. They mount a solid mid-range battery of an LB-10X and a Light PPC, which is pretty respectable for a medium tank that has already trippled down on defense.

It is kind of a perfect setup, really, and this is why I love them. If they had heavier weapons they would be true priority targets, not to mention they would cost far more than the 1000BV they cost to run. But those LB-X hits and LPPC pokes add up, especially when you've got a lance of the buggers crawling at you, gnawing away as they go. Since they are so hard to crack it is tempting to let them go, but if you do they will be in your face, prestine, and nearly unstoppable. I love units that make opponents defeat themselves; something tricky that makes them reconsider their plans and screw up. In that regard the Skröte can be a kind of existential crisis for the enemy if you get them in a spot where they can't be ignored and are backed up by units with more firepower. They are also a great unit to use as an anvil upon which to hammer the enemy with fast mechs. This is a tactic I've used several times and it usually works beautifully.

The Schildkröte is kinda the penultimate Lyran tank, if you ask me. It isn't a 100 ton apex predator, but it doesn't need to be. We already have Thunder Hawks and Devastators for that. They are, however, cheap enough to run in sizable groups, so they become a rolling curtain of steel that can anchor a battle line or stop a hard-charging enemy cold.

I know that kinda turned into a bit of a rant, but the fact is incorporating tanks and infantry into your games is fun. It also adds a lot of variety and will force you to adopt more complex tactics. You should experiment and see what you enjoy running.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2020, 18:32:23 by whistler »
Quote from: 3rdCrucisLancers
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2020, 09:54:28 »
Play in a swamp where the hovercraft can roam free and the mechs movements are restrained.  (Add some hills so the mechs have solid ground to walk around in, etc.)

pat_hdx

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2020, 23:09:05 »
Boy Howdy, yeah that Schildkröte Line Tank is my kinda unit. Let's see if I can ever get a Merc unit that far in the timeline.

zreef

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 02 November 2020, 09:44:12 »
thank you everyone!  You have given me a lot to digest and a bunch of units to look up!

Sometime the sheer scope of battletech options is a bit intimidating!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2020, 15:07:51 »
it can be, yeah. fortunately it's not a race. a good portion recommended in this thread are units that have been around since ~1986

i started with a couple each of stuff i liked the art for like the striker and built out from there.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2020, 16:10:32 »
We have gotten some new 'old' tanks as well though I am not sure all of them have minis . . . the T-12 Tiger, Merkava VIII, and Marsden II were also possible to be around during 3025 and I think at least the Marsden has a mini . . . the Merkava that is available is the IX, but it works.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2020, 16:16:26 »
We have gotten some new 'old' tanks as well though I am not sure all of them have minis . . . the T-12 Tiger, Merkava VIII, and Marsden II were also possible to be around during 3025 and I think at least the Marsden has a mini . . . the Merkava that is available is the IX, but it works.

merkava and marsden yes. tiger no

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2020, 17:52:40 »
I did not think the Tiger had a mini which is why I said I was not sure.  IIRC it has a weird turret w/ the gun, right?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2020, 17:58:07 »
it's a unique-looking tank. i've really enjoyed using them as opfor a lot in age of war and star league campaigns

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2020, 18:32:58 »
Boy Howdy, yeah that Schildkröte Line Tank is my kinda unit. Let's see if I can ever get a Merc unit that far in the timeline.

Happy to spread the gospel.  ^-^  The Skröte never really made it on the front line (like the lack of mini that's bonkers but whatever), so you would probably be able to find some. Besides, its Lyran hardware and we'll sell to just about anyone. You should be able to get some. Cost could be a factor since they use a substantial amount of modern tech (particularly XL engines and the Armored Motive System) but I would be you can pick up a few.

Personally I like lances of three Schildkrötes led by a Testudo. They aren't quite built to last like the Skrötes but they bring something to the party that the Schildkröte is sorely lacking: artillery support.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2020, 18:41:26 by whistler »
Whistler is not only a noted winner, he's a man's man, a generous philanthropist, a noted big game hunter, and a lover and a dancer. If he had a mustache it would be impeccably waxed. When he marches off to war, everyone else stays home.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2020, 07:31:45 »
Demolisher: Heavily armed and armored, when you really need to drop the hammer on somebody accept no substitutes. The Demolisher really lives up to its name; this monster's duel AC/20s can gut a mech in one shot. Watch and laugh as enemies try to figure out how to deal with one in a city or built up terrain. Just keep an eye out for artillery.

For a great example of the Demolisher's effect on the field, go to the Demolisher Vehicle of the Week thread and search for "Stumpy".
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2020, 10:52:25 »
Happy to spread the gospel.  ^-^  The Skröte never really made it on the front line (like the lack of mini that's bonkers but whatever), so you would probably be able to find some. Besides, its Lyran hardware and we'll sell to just about anyone. You should be able to get some. Cost could be a factor since they use a substantial amount of modern tech (particularly XL engines and the Armored Motive System) but I would be you can pick up a few.

Actually IIRC while it was intended for the garrison/secondline forces it made its way to frontline units just b/c the Lyran situation.

A while back I tested out a 2 HPPC & 2 LBX Turtle lance against a randomly rolled League lance as a supposed Op Hammerfall battle . . . one Schild actually was slowed down but two medium mechs were down, another a walking wreck and the final one was falling back.  While they lack the speed to cover a lot of space, they would be great supplements to assault formations grinding forward over enemies to take the objective.
Colt Ward

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 04 November 2020, 01:44:51 »
For a great example of the Demolisher's effect on the field, go to the Demolisher Vehicle of the Week thread and search for "Stumpy".

Honestly I think we all have stories like that when it comes to the Dakar Daka Trifecta (Demolisher, LRM Carrier, SRM Carrier).  :P  But while the SRM Carrier always makes me sweat (losing a mech to 50 SRMs in an single turn leaves an impression), and the LRM Carrier is one of the most versatile weapons around, the Demolisher's knockout power and armor make it the most effective tank out of the three. Unless you are doing a recon-in-force or something a Demloisher is always a handy thing to have.

Though I have to say, my favorite Demolisher is actually the Arrow IV version. Its great to have an artillery detachment with the armor to take counter-battery fire.

whistler

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 04 November 2020, 02:08:21 »
Actually IIRC while it was intended for the garrison/secondline forces it made its way to frontline units just b/c the Lyran situation.

A while back I tested out a 2 HPPC & 2 LBX Turtle lance against a randomly rolled League lance as a supposed Op Hammerfall battle . . . one Schild actually was slowed down but two medium mechs were down, another a walking wreck and the final one was falling back.  While they lack the speed to cover a lot of space, they would be great supplements to assault formations grinding forward over enemies to take the objective.

From what I read in the TRO, it seems like the Schildkröte was the opposite of what most front-line units were looking for in a medium tank, so they ended up in second line forces. I'm sure garrison units were always slated to get them. But to be honest it could go either way... chances are 50/50 in my book.

And your AAO reflects my own experience. I love frustrating an enemy force packing with my tough little turtles. My favorite weapon pairing is the HPPC and the LB-10X, so having the two variants carry those weapons is brilliant. Headcapping can-openers backed by scatter guns, whats not to love? The variant really gives your Turtle Power lances the knockout punch they are sorely lacking.

Collected thoughts: Even if you do manage to motive crit a Schildkröte you still have to deal with a heavily armored pillbox with a solid ranged weapon. Its rare but it has happened to me before. I tell ya, if I could trade the AMS for a C3 Slave and get a C3 Master unit I would be a happy guy. Skrötes seem like a fantastic element in expensive C3 assault companies, or even steady point men (if your game goes on long enough that is).

Whoever designed this little wonder, I salute you.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 04 November 2020, 10:21:36 »
Yeah, I have wanted to pair them with Gurti's for a 'heavy' tank lance . . . let them be the outriders to the Gurti filled center and bring the pain.
Colt Ward

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 04 November 2020, 12:49:46 »
I'll add the Vedette, the Po, the Brutus, the Bulldog, and the Hetzer to this list.

1. Vedette- Comstar and others Cheap 50 ton tank, moves 5/8, mounts an
AC/5 and an MG. Later upgrades upgrade the AC to an Ultra Model and add Ferro Fibrous Armor. This is the basic tank all other armor units are measured against. Everyone in the IS and the Periphery use them. They're the T-55 of Battletech.

2. Po-Capellan produced 60 ton tank, 4/6 movement, 1 AC 10, 2 MGs.  This is another solid, no frills heavy tank that serves as the backbone of many armor units. Other upgrades replace the AC/10 to an LB-10X, a Light Gauss Rifle, etc. Similar to its lighter cousin, the Vedette, the Po is the next logical step in single gun tanks for SW era BT.

3. Brutus-Capellan produced MBT. Fusion Engine, 75 tons, 3/5 movement, 1 LRM-20, 2 Large Lasers, 2 SRM-6s, 1 SRM 2. A heavy tank that focuses more on firepower then armor, the Brutus outruns many assault mechs, but only carries eight and 1 /2 tons of armor. Variants include a dual LRM-20 missile platform, dual PPCs, more SRMs, and up armored variants. The Brutus makes a great force multiplier in a heavy tank unit, especially if it has lance mates with more armor.

4. Bulldog-60 ton Kuritan produced tank. 4/6 movement, 1 Large Laser, 2 SRM-4s. A cheap heavy tank for medium and short range engagements, the Bulldog also comes in a dual AC/2 or LRM-20 configuration.  It's a solid tank to pair with longer range units needing short range escort, and the large laser is a nice drill to open up holes on a target for the SRM-4s to crit seek and degrade enemy units

5. Hetzer-multination 40 ton tank destroyer. 4/6, 1 AC/20. This is Battletech's version of the Stug III, a common German WW II tank destroyer. The Hetzer is notorious for being shoddily built, but an AC/20 is nothing to sneeze at. It is in  a fixed mount, and pretty much acts as half of a Demolisher. 4 tons of AC/20 ammo gives it some nice longevity on the battlefield. It comes in a slew of variants, much like its heavier Mech cousin, the Hunchback. Point front an enemy, drive towards them, pull trigger on AC/20. So simple even a Clan Mechwarrior could use it.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #23 on: 04 November 2020, 13:02:49 »
1. Vedette- Comstar and others

it's literally the most common tank in existence during the succession wars. the comstar-produced ones have a special electronics suite but that isn't distinguished by the normal rules. you could stick a lance of vedettes in virtually any armored formation of any nation

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #24 on: 22 November 2020, 12:14:35 »
Bulldogs and Goblins, is all you'll need.

No, seriously.

There's an LRM, SRM, AC/2 and even a MG variant.

Work these into a lance and see where you go!

Personal favorite : 2 Goblin, LRM,  a Goblin, Standard and a Bulldog with Infantry Support and indirect fire.

I tend to run Marik lances, so 5 is the norm. ( I add a second Bulldog. )

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2021, 16:16:30 »
Pegasus Scout , most hovers im general . Manticore tank the rare Behemoth.  Vedettes of all flavors.  What I can't figure out is WiGE use ouside strict cargo support role .

Dayton3

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 17 January 2021, 09:30:27 »
I've heard good things bout a lance of three Schrek PPC carriers and a Demolisher.     You can rain lightning on a target at long range with the combined 9 PPCs and when forces try to close and take out he PPCs,   the Demolisher lets them have it with the twin AC20s. 

Should be good for a few 'mech kills.