Author Topic: CASE II question  (Read 3375 times)

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
CASE II question
« on: 06 December 2021, 22:15:12 »
so let me start by mentioning that I don't have Tactical Operations, so if my question is actually covered in the book, my apologies
(also any apologies if this question has been answered in another thread, I did a search and didn't see anything regarding this)

regarding CASE II, the rules I have been able to find for it say:
When an internal explosion occurs, CASE II reduces the damage to the Internal Structure of the installed location, making it take only one point of damage (with a chance for a critical hit). If the explosion is in a side torso, the rest of the damage is applied to the rear armor of the location. If there is no further armor, the remaining damage is negated out the open rear of the 'Mech. If the explosion is in an arm, the rest of the damage is applied to the armor, and negated away from the 'Mech. CASE II also reduces the chance of critical hits taking effect due to the redirected damage.

Unfortunately, CASE II does not protect the pilot from taking damage from ammo explosions, so standard rules apply in this case.

my question is, what happens to other components within the location that the explosion protected by CASE II occurs?

example: there are two Improved Heavy Medium Lasers in a (Clan) 'Mech's arm, one of them is critted and explodes...with regular CASE, the arm is destroyed and of course all the other components within

with CASE II, according to the rules I've read, the explosion would do 1 damage to the internal structure and the rest of the explosion destroys the armour (for the arm, a torso would just be the rear armour) and...is that it? the second Improved Heavy Medium Laser is untouched and still operational?
« Last Edit: 06 December 2021, 22:27:36 by Zeruel »
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: CASE II question
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2021, 02:02:52 »
Since it still gives a chance of another crit, there's still a chance those other components may be affected..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2021, 08:00:31 »
Yes, after marking off one internal structure (and any armor needed) you still have to make a crit check. If a crit results, make a second 2d6 roll. If the result is 8 or better, ignore the crit.

Then that second medium is safe and sound.
I have spoken.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2021, 08:53:29 »
Hunh...I feel like that takes CASE II to a whole other level of useful...sure, there's the chance the crit check still kills something, but let's say you've got 5 ERMLs in the section along with whatever blew up, well you can still come out with a ton of weaponry not destroyed
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2021, 09:07:21 »
That's the beauty of CASE II.
I have spoken.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2021, 09:22:05 »
Hunh...I feel like that takes CASE II to a whole other level of useful...sure, there's the chance the crit check still kills something, but let's say you've got 5 ERMLs in the section along with whatever blew up, well you can still come out with a ton of weaponry not destroyed

As opposed to all of them likely being destroyed with regular CASE or the whole Mech  without any CASE at all.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2021, 09:42:33 »

you're just confused because they added a piece of equipment that's a genuine improvement and doesn't have some weird side-grade drawback

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2021, 09:48:19 »
you're just confused because they added a piece of equipment that's a genuine improvement and doesn't have some weird side-grade drawback

Errata for CASE II: Any time the structure is hit, roll 2d6.  On a 7+, all the equipment in that location is destroyed (no explosions).  The blowing things out the back has a bit of a hair trigger.  Sorry about that.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 07 December 2021, 09:59:50 »
There can be a drawback, depending on the design. If a location has multiple slots of explosive ammo, especially on a unit with more internal structure, the fact that it only deals one point of internal damage can very quickly lead to successive ammo crits over the course of one or multiple turns. This can be unfortunate, if you want to keep your pilot alive.

So yeah, in those fringe cases, you can sometimes be better off sticking with plain ol' CASE.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2021, 10:13:23 »
Errata for CASE II: Any time the structure is hit, roll 2d6.  On a 7+, all the equipment in that location is destroyed (no explosions).  The blowing things out the back has a bit of a hair trigger.  Sorry about that.

That's not what I see.  It looks like you roll to see if the IS damage crits, then can negate it on an 8+.  "7" is never mentioned except for implied as a miss on the second roll, making it a "7-" not a "7+".
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2021, 10:30:48 »
this. Definitely this :))

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2021, 22:38:28 »
There can be a drawback, depending on the design. If a location has multiple slots of explosive ammo, especially on a unit with more internal structure, the fact that it only deals one point of internal damage can very quickly lead to successive ammo crits over the course of one or multiple turns. This can be unfortunate, if you want to keep your pilot alive.

So yeah, in those fringe cases, you can sometimes be better off sticking with plain ol' CASE.

And if are unlucky, it'll be successive ammo crits in a single turn as the first crit cooking off causes another crit to cook off.

Now while this can happen... most of the time it's a straight out upgrade over standard CASE.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2021, 13:18:17 »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2021, 00:04:31 »
CASE II also reduces the chance of critical hits taking effect due to the redirected damage.

What is this part about?

Is the check for crits modified?

From memory the only difference from CASE to CASE-II is the amount of Internal Damage before its "shoved" out the black doors in the back of the neck.
CASE 50 Point = 50 Internal & if destroyed, out back.
CASE-II 50 Points = 1 Internal & then, Out the back.

Is that correct & is there something I'm forgetting?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 12 December 2021, 05:43:16 »
What is this part about?

Is the check for crits modified?

You roll for crits normally...

And then for any crits caused by the internal structure damage point that resulted from CASE II you roll 2d6 again and on an 8+ the crit goes "poof, nope, denied."

So for a practical example. You are playing with floating crits, critical hit to side torso location with some ammo. You get a single crit, hit the ammo and it explodes. Luckily you have CASE II. CASE II vents the explosion out the back and you take one internal. Then since you took internal damage you roll on determining critical hits and... damn, its a 12. 3 Critical hits.

Now before you resolve those criticals... since those were caused by the internal damage from CASE II effect... you roll 2d6 3 times and an 8+ on any of those rolls negates one of those further crits. [If you got 8+ all three times, all three crits just disappear]
« Last Edit: 12 December 2021, 05:45:11 by VhenRa »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2021, 10:13:30 »
I never realized that was in the rules, or forgot if I did.

Wow, that makes CASE quite a bit more powerful depending on the mech & how much ammo you have.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 20 December 2021, 19:04:53 »
plenty of rolls attached to it still, I feel like given some peoples lack of good luck they might feel like it is not worth it.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 20 December 2021, 19:31:31 »
The first time you shrug off an ammo bomb and your XL-engined mech is still moving you’ll probably be sold

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

General308

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 26 December 2021, 20:02:08 »

That is the whole point of CASE II.